Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 27, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #57,109 of 62,458
Not really happy with the sound quality of my AZ80 with ANC enabled, currently going downtown in a Manhattan express train and the ANC sucked the life out of the az80's. Picking up the DPP in a few hours, how drastic is the sound quality change with ANC enabled on the DPP?
I think ANC slightly affects the SQ but if your a bass head, it adds more thump to the bass. ANC is ok. Only thing that blocks out your surrounding is what I like to do with them. Blasting the volume and jamming out to them as they are pretty immersive if they can fit you

Sep 28, 2023 at 4:17 AM Post #57,111 of 62,458
I think ANC slightly affects the SQ but if your a bass head, it adds more thump to the bass. ANC is ok. Only thing that blocks out your surrounding is what I like to do with them. Blasting the volume and jamming out to them as they are pretty immersive if they can fit you
I'm a basshead, but still I don't like the ANC on the NTP. I prefer lower bass and the ANC seems to be boosting more of the upper bass, which usually I tone down quite a bit.

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #57,112 of 62,458
Looking for a TWS IEM in the 100-150 euro range and man, there is a LOT to choose from. Looking at the list on scarbir (https://www.scarbir.com/best-sounding-earbuds) and like, every second IEM on there sounds like a good pick.

Any thoughts on which ones to look at if I want warmth, big though not overwhelming bass and thick and forward mids (particularly for male vocals) and tamer, possibly even dark treble? Currently leaning towards Lypertek PurePlay Z3 2.0 since it seems it would be close to what I want out of the box and it has an in-app EQ if some frequencies need tweaking. I only really care about sound and comfort, ANC and other features are just extras.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #57,114 of 62,458
Looking for a TWS IEM in the 100-150 euro range and man, there is a LOT to choose from. Looking at the list on scarbir (https://www.scarbir.com/best-sounding-earbuds) and like, every second IEM on there sounds like a good pick.

Any thoughts on which ones to look at if I want warmth, big though not overwhelming bass and thick and forward mids (particularly for male vocals) and tamer, possibly even dark treble? Currently leaning towards Lypertek PurePlay Z3 2.0 since it seems it would be close to what I want out of the box and it has an in-app EQ if some frequencies need tweaking. I only really care about sound and comfort, ANC and other features are just extras.
Yea go for the lypertek or one of the Nuarl N6 range.

N6 Mini and Pro 2 had my favourite mids for a long time, a darker treble and solid bass. Very nice technicals too.

Sep 28, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #57,115 of 62,458
Alrighty. After spending a single day with the Denon Perl Pro, these are going back. When ANC is enabled, I can hear a decent amount of white noise coming from the left earbud. After a three month release, you'd think this would be fixed with a firmware update, no update available yet.

At this time, I will keep the AZ80's due to their well rounded set of features, until the MTW4 are released in spring by Sennheiser. I did try the new Wf-1000xm5, and once again they sounded congested, just like the xm3 in 2019.

The ANC performance is mediocre, the transparency mode is congested when compared with the AZ80's, in terms of Sound Quality they're are very fun; If white noise wasn't an issue, I would have kept them.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #57,116 of 62,458
MEMS require special amplification and a DC bias voltage, therefore conventional sources will not be able to drive them properly. Of course there will be integrated solutions for TWS (like Usound's Kore 4.0), but I honestly doubt that MEMS + matching amp combos will become a huge success for wired to go.

Sometimes, having a battery on board isn't all that bad... :wink:
200w (10).gif

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Sep 28, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #57,117 of 62,458
Yea go for the lypertek or one of the Nuarl N6 range.

N6 Mini and Pro 2 had my favourite mids for a long time, a darker treble and solid bass. Very nice technicals too.
Thanks! I'll grab the Lyperteks and look into the Nuarls later if I'm not fully satisfied with the Lyperteks.

Sep 28, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #57,119 of 62,458
Alrighty. After spending a single day with the Denon Perl Pro, these are going back. When ANC is enabled, I can hear a decent amount of white noise coming from the left earbud. After a three month release, you'd think this would be fixed with a firmware update, no update available yet.

At this time, I will keep the AZ80's due to their well rounded set of features, until the MTW4 are released in spring by Sennheiser. I did try the new Wf-1000xm5, and once again they sounded congested, just like the xm3 in 2019.

The ANC performance is mediocre, the transparency mode is congested when compared with the AZ80's, in terms of Sound Quality they're are very fun; If white noise wasn't an issue, I would have kept them.

Yeah, Im in the same spot, the AZ80's are such a great all rounders. I'm deffo waiting for the next "big thing" , but for now the AZ80 will have to do.

Hopefully more "traditional" Audio OEMS will delve into the wireless market and make some big contribution. There's just a big problem ANC/Software is a whole different ball game than just making ordinary analogue audio products. A few larger companies like Sennheiser have the financial resources to tackle this problem, but many smaller/niche OEM's dont... :/

Very few OEM can actually nail ANC/Software with an impressive SQ, either these traditional Audio OEMs skips the ANC part or they make it an afterthought. I feel like Technics has come the closest so far with combining Software/Anc with audio fidelity.

I know this is a TES-dedicated thread...I'd also love seeing OEMs embrace wireless Open-back cans! So far there's what The HifiMan Deva Pros? A pair of large open backs could also have quite the longevity since changing batteries should be much easier than on a small set of TWS buds.

In the short term I'm mostly looking forward to finally have Aptx Lossless/LC3+ on most devices (my Phone is already ready with the Xperia 1 V). What I can't wrap my head around to is why Qualcomm isn't sitting down with Microsoft and Google, wouldn't it be best for Qualcomm if Google/Microsoft made Aptx Lossless a standard part of the OS like what happened to LDAC after Android 9?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #57,120 of 62,458
Maybe I have found my wireless travelling combo for these next months ..

Basically I was thinking to go with WF-1000XM5 and WH1000XM5 => though, I can still change my mind in the short future, but sound quality for me between WF-1000XM5 and EAH-AZ80 is in favour of EAH-AZ80 (more details in mid-high/high that I couldn't compensate with any Parametric EQ).. for Headphones, I just tried the EAH-A800 for 2 weeks and the ANC is clearly more efficient than any of the TWS I own including WF-1000XM5 and EAH-AZ80 (though I could find perfect tips to get perfect seal for my TWS).
So for my next twice 24 to 26 hours overseas trips, I expect to use the EAH-Z80 for walking, short transit trains/metro and sleeping... watching movies, playing games or just taking pleasure with listening HiRES music, the EAH-A800 should do the job rather well..

Unfortunately , my former combo based on WM1A, in BT receiver mode with same ZFold4/5 source in LDAC mode,
1) with a IER-M9 offers a much better sound quality than the EAH-AZ80/WF-1000XM5 by a significant margin
2) with Ampersand and a DCA Stealth I get definitely my SQ reference combo for any wireless system with even a much better stage width and depth than A800.

Just those combos are not really compact, too short playing time available and ANC for planes and trains is really missing almost every time.

20230928_164125 copie.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back