Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 26, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #57,061 of 62,472
@webvan make sure your not using Google assistant, if thats off you just press and hold for volume control, left to turn down, right to turn up. I find it a bit clunky but it works.

@Pastapipo I also worried about the tips being oval. But they include 4 sizes to allow for extra large. I ended up using the extra large and they fit very comfy with a secure good seal.

But the tips and design is different than Samsung as @subguy812 mentioned the body rests against the concha and the tip just fits inside the ear. This takes a while to get used too because even when they are sitting right it feels like they need to be adjusted because they feel so different. I am slowly getting to where I stop fiddling. I find them super comfy and easy to forget about.

I find the Atmos thing is OK, but not something I would use for music. Might be fun for movies though. But is alters music to much for my taste.

ANC is very good and ambient also works decently but not as good as the ANC.

Musically these sound better than the Elite 3 and 7 by quite a margin. The 7 really disappointed me as it sounded like the 3 which is ridiculous given how much they cost. I will compare against the AZ80 later today.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #57,062 of 62,472
Could anyone please share thoughts on Devialet Gemini 2 vs APP2 for use with an iPhone 15 please?

Only really care about sound quality.
Big step up in sound quality between the two and I actually like and use the APP2 for music.

The G2 just sounds so musically convincing in all areas. The super sub bass to mids where vocals shine and they have a really nice soundstage.

Sep 26, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #57,063 of 62,472
Indeed a long press on the buds changes the volume, odd that wouldn't be mentioned in the app on the button control page.

Forgot to mention I tried them on my home traîner with the fan at full blast and they were useless (both with or without ANC) compared to the Bomaker SiFi II I use for that (as well as for running as the thump is very acceptable for an IRL format).

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #57,065 of 62,472
Got my Jabra Elite Pro 10 yesterday and there are several things I like :
- ANC can be turned off completely (unlike with Bose)
- You can choose to pause music when you switch to Hear-Through (a Jabra "tradition" and it was also available on the Echo Buds 1 if memory serves)
- The buttons of course

What I don't like :
- No volume control that I could find (it'sdeir : it's ttere, see below)
- Little passive isolation so the ANC (pretty powerful indeed) has a lot of work to do and can't filter out "unexpected" sounds (only passive can really block these). As a result they don't filter as much overall as the el cheapo EarFun AirPro 2 (Airpod type) or Free Pro 2 (IEM type)
- Hear-Through gets confused when there are loud noises (or wind when biking). It "blocks" the noise, more or less switching to ANC, ok I suppose but then it does not go back to Hear-Through automatically AFAICT.
- The SQ is okish, nothing special
- The fit is ok but they don't feel very stable and oddly I get a sense of "occlusion" even though they're supposed to be semi-open, go figure !

On the fence :
- the Dolby "spatial sound" sounds a bit like the "Atmos" stuff on Amazon Music, not that interesting. I tried to see if somehow it made the Amazon "Atmos Mixes" better, but it just adds a layer of "effects" it seems.
- the Dolby "head tracking" option works well enough and is pretty weird, can't really see a use case but why not !

I haven't tried calls yet, but not worth the asking price compared to what you get with EarFun's TWS IMHO
Volume control is tap/press and hold for L - up, R - down. Same scheme as the last few iterations. I think if you have Google set as your assistant it won’t work. Turn that off and have it set to native or whatever it’s called. Google will still work. I don’t have it all in front of me to double-check.

Sep 26, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #57,066 of 62,472
Forgot to mention I tried them on my home traîner with the fan at full blast and they were useless (both with or without ANC) compared to the Bomaker SiFi II I use for that (as well as for running as the thump is very acceptable for an IRL format).
Inside the app you can set the switch mode for ANC/HearThrough to add Off to its rotation, otherwise your switching from ANC to just hear through and hear through sounds even worse than ANC for wind.

I live in a windy city and find I often have to cycle to the off setting and did so this morning downtown when I got off the train to combat the wind.

Sep 26, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #57,067 of 62,472
Used the Elite 10 for 4.6hrs this morning before I started getting battery low message. This was set up for multipoint, PC and phone listening to music or in Teams Meetings (3 meeting for a combine 2+ hours. So, all in all, pretty satisfied considering that taking calls is a lot harder on the battery life.

Sep 26, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #57,068 of 62,472
Inside the app you can set the switch mode for ANC/HearThrough to add Off to its rotation, otherwise your switching from ANC to just hear through and hear through sounds even worse than ANC for wind.

I live in a windy city and find I often have to cycle to the off setting and did so this morning downtown when I got off the train to combat the wind.

Yes the fact that ANC can be turned off was the first on my "what I like" list :wink: Problem is that with the semi-open design and the fact they don't sit flush they offer very little shielding against the wind. I wonder if the Jabra 8 wouldn't do better in that respect with their closed design...but then the Jabra 7s wouldn't stay in my ears at all and they seem pretty similar so it's probably not worth the effort.

Sep 26, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #57,069 of 62,472
Like @subguy812 I'm finding the Jabra 10s got better on the second try. For ANC I found I needed the large tips. After that they're quite excellent there, doing the best of all my TWS at blocking my daughter's audiobooks.

Sound-wise they're very good though I'm not sure I'm in love with the signature. Listening to led Zep In My Time of Dying I have to admit the drums sound great. I had soundcore 4nc nearby, so A/B tested with those and found that the Jabra had better fidelity, but I liked the dynamic range of the Soundcore better (I approximated the SC ear test tuning using the jabra's substandard equalizer). I then remembered that SC was LDAC, so I disabled that to fall back to AAC and predictably, they came in worse than Jabra.

I think when they put out LC3, and hopefully some ear test tuning, the Jabras might be pretty formidable, especially at their price. I like the special edition cocoa color I bought so I guess I'll be keeping them 😁

Sep 26, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #57,070 of 62,472
Like @subguy812 I'm finding the Jabra 10s got better on the second try. For ANC I found I needed the large tips. After that they're quite excellent there, doing the best of all my TWS at blocking my daughter's audiobooks.

Sound-wise they're very good though I'm not sure I'm in love with the signature. Listening to led Zep In My Time of Dying I have to admit the drums sound great. I had soundcore 4nc nearby, so A/B tested with those and found that the Jabra had better fidelity, but I liked the dynamic range of the Soundcore better (I approximated the SC ear test tuning using the jabra's substandard equalizer). I then remembered that SC was LDAC, so I disabled that to fall back to AAC and predictably, they came in worse than Jabra.

I think when they put out LC3, and hopefully some ear test tuning, the Jabras might be pretty formidable, especially at their price. I like the special edition cocoa color I bought so I guess I'll be keeping them 😁
Used my Elite 10s on video conference calls for 5 hours today. Not one issue and they stayed paired to my Mac and iPhone flawlessly. Thankfully, they blocked my Roomba quite nicely. Had to switch over to the Gemini 2 when the Jabra prompted me to charge. Both worked great today. I can finally put on a few tunes and rock.

Sep 26, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #57,071 of 62,472
Used my Elite 10s on video conference calls for 5 hours today. Not one issue and they stayed paired to my Mac and iPhone flawlessly. Thankfully, they blocked my Roomba quite nicely. Had to switch over to the Gemini 2 when the Jabra prompted me to charge. Both worked great today. I can finally put on a few tunes and rock.
I had made it my mind too replace the Jabras with the Geminis. Now am so close to ordering the Geminis 2 anyway. But I don't know how you guys juggle. Maybe I'm just too monogamous!

Sep 26, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #57,072 of 62,472
I had made it my mind too replace the Jabras with the Geminis. Now am so close to ordering the Geminis 2 anyway. But I don't know how you guys juggle. Maybe I'm just too monogamous!
I really to enjoy them both. My rotation is the AKs, DG2 and 10s this week. It's hard. Every now and then I like the feel of something else. Heh.

Sep 26, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #57,073 of 62,472
Just doing a small A/B/C to the AZ80 and the Galaxy Buds 2. The AZ80 and GBUDS2 sound warmer with the AZ80 having a bigger sounding bass. As far as sound stage goes the Elite 10 sits right between the AZ80 (biggest sound stage) and GBUDS2. The AZ80 is the most detailed and while bigger is also more intimate and 3D in nature followed by the Elte 10, then the GBUDS2.

In my walk this morning, I noticed the wind with the ANC/Ambient off but for me it was similar to most old-fashioned IEM's especially shallow fit ones. So, noise was present but was much better than the whistling artifacts most ANC and ambient mic systems produce. where I live these will only work for ANC on mild or non-windy days.

I am enjoying the lack of pressure in my ears and find while it's a bit like the GB2P these are a bit comfier and even though my brain says they are not secure, I have a feeling the reality is they are also a bit more secure.

Like @erockg I also sat through several meetings in the morning and these worked great from my computer in Teams.

Sep 26, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #57,074 of 62,472
Just doing a small A/B/C to the AZ80 and the Galaxy Buds 2. The AZ80 and GBUDS2 sound warmer with the AZ80 having a bigger sounding bass. As far as sound stage goes the Elite 10 sits right between the AZ80 (biggest sound stage) and GBUDS2. The AZ80 is the most detailed and while bigger is also more intimate and 3D in nature followed by the Elte 10, then the GBUDS2.

In my walk this morning, I noticed the wind with the ANC/Ambient off but for me it was similar to most old-fashioned IEM's especially shallow fit ones. So, noise was present but was much better than the whistling artifacts most ANC and ambient mic systems produce. where I live these will only work for ANC on mild or non-windy days.

I am enjoying the lack of pressure in my ears and find while it's a bit like the GB2P these are a bit comfier and even though my brain says they are not secure, I have a feeling the reality is they are also a bit more secure.

Like @erockg I also sat through several meetings in the morning and these worked great from my computer in Teams.
Any comparisons between the AZ80 & the Denon Perl Pro? thinking of getting the DPP before my return window is closed on the AZ80.

Sep 26, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #57,075 of 62,472

For biking I found PassThrough worked very well. At first I used ANC because I'm used to that being the best wind reduction on my other buds but these were very wind-distorted. Switching to PassThrough, you can hear the wind in an amplified roar as it's sampled for a couple seconds, then go to something resembling a ANC processed breeze. This happens after every standing start on the bike. Meanwhile, all other passed through noises are normal. These buds are designed not to let you ride obliviously 😂.

I noticed a similar sampling period for regular ANC. When you expose them to loud droning sounds it goes from mild to a deeper level ANC. I also noticed that the sound is noticeably better when ANC is off so I appreciate that It gets weakened at times. Overall, pretty well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back