Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 24, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #56,956 of 62,419
"I'll have to grab a set of these 9 driver chifi IEMs and listen for myself."
Well, I am just referring to this quote from your own word because to me you seem to "ridicule" chifi as being suck. There are brands like UM, Dunu, Moondrop, etc. And yes I am talking purely on Sound Quality in my post.
If you've been following my posts, I have nothing against TWS, in fact I have tried many TWS and use them on daily basis.
Ive owned both Dunu and Moondrop stuff. My experience has been mixed to date. I don't really see the point of wired IEMs given how good TWS has become. The trade offs aren't worth it to me. For sitting stationary I'll just use full sized cans. For anything portable, ANC is a must for me. I'm not sure I see the point of all these posts comparing TWS to wired IEMs. It's just a completely different product. There is literally no scenario where I personally would use a wired IEM over a TWS. Wired IEMs are like Blockbuster Video. Dead man walking.

Sep 24, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #56,957 of 62,419
“What sets the Devialet Gemini II apart is its arsenal of cutting-edge technology. At its core lies a brand-new custom 10mm Devialet titanium-coated driver, designed to take your acoustic journey even deeper. Paired with the Qualcomm aptX Adaptive codec, these earbuds offer an acoustic experience that’s beyond compare. Whether you’re into music, podcasts, or audiobooks, prepare to be immersed in a world of rich, vibrant sound.”

One of a few places I’ve found that says it’s got the aptX adaptive - including Amazon.com - yet their own website isn’t clear about this. Seems to say it’s not… anyone who can put their record straigh?
Not sure why but my pixel only supports standard aptx. So I can't test this.

Sep 24, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #56,958 of 62,419
Will give these a try even though the company is deceptive. Willing to give them a chance

KZ VXS Pro True Wireless Noise Cancelling Earbuds, QCC5171 aptX Lossless Bluetooth 5.3 Headphones, 10mm Drivers with Big Bass, Built-in Mic in-Ear Earphones 32H Playtime https://a.co/d/dYnINl4
That is quite impressive specs from KZ. Funny enough, their bluetooth adapter AZ09pro and AZ20 don't have as much problems as my Fiio UTWS5. Their battery life is also quite true to their claim.

Sep 24, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #56,959 of 62,419
That is quite impressive specs from KZ. Funny enough, their bluetooth adapter AZ09pro and AZ20 don't have as much problems as my Fiio UTWS5. Their battery life is also quite true to their claim.
Like I said they are a deceptive company. Already seeing some writing on the wall. The title includes Bluetooth 5.3 and Aptx Lossless but in the description says Bluetooth 5 2 and up to Aptx Adaptive. Am hoping their title is accurate. Will try them out as the Amazon return policy is a godsend.

Sep 24, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #56,960 of 62,419
Lol. I really wish people would stop calling these dongle things "wireless". You don't lose any wires and you add a device. For the purpose of being outdoors or at the gym or any usual tws application I just don't see how the BTR7 adds any convenience at all.
It’s just boys with toys…. Yes, they make no sense; ya might as well go wired…
But fun to mess around with. 👍

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #56,961 of 62,419
Ive owned both Dunu and Moondrop stuff. My experience has been mixed to date. I don't really see the point of wired IEMs given how good TWS has become. The trade offs aren't worth it to me. For sitting stationary I'll just use full sized cans. For anything portable, ANC is a must for me. I'm not sure I see the point of all these posts comparing TWS to wired IEMs. It's just a completely different product. There is literally no scenario where I personally would use a wired IEM over a TWS. Wired IEMs are like Blockbuster Video. Dead man walking.
Ha!!! I agree. However, don’t go anywhere near the Water Cooler thread with this. Those folks have invested ten’s of thousands of dollars in their DAP, cable, IEM Riggs.

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #56,963 of 62,419
Sep 25, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #56,965 of 62,419
Lol. I really wish people would stop calling these dongle things "wireless". You don't lose any wires and you add a device. For the purpose of being outdoors or at the gym or any usual tws application I just don't see how the BTR7 adds any convenience at all.
BTR7 is my "go to" for listening to music on my preferred wired IEM's while also being able to take calls or meetings when working from home. A very solid and useful device.

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #56,966 of 62,419
Wired IEMs are like Blockbuster Video. Dead man walking.
That's a bit premature considering the current state and would require at least 4 things to happen:
- miniaturization of DAC/AMP/BT receiver circuits to the level that TWS packed electronics at least matches the quality of USB dongles, and I am not even speaking high end DAPs or full size desktop setups
- high end IEM makers (multi-ba, hybrid, tribrid) will collab with know how to companies that doing BT receivers and on board DACs.
- TOTL IEMs like Monarch MK2/3 are barely fitting all the drivers inside oversized shell, not sure how squeezing electronics part will work there, so some compromises on drivers design must be made
- we are still struggling with industry standard true lossless high-res wireless protocol to get there, all we see are just some uncoordinated efforts here and there with everyone trying to pull the blanket their own way

And sorry to say that but SQ gap between TWS and wired IEMs even in the same price range is still huge, you just can't pretend it's not there.

They perfectly serve their intended purpose, but as of today they are not audiophile grade level, not even close.

Sep 25, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #56,968 of 62,419
That's a bit premature considering the current state and would require at least 4 things to happen:
- miniaturization of DAC/AMP/BT receiver circuits to the level that TWS packed electronics at least matches the quality of USB dongles, and I am not even speaking high end DAPs or full size desktop setups
- high end IEM makers (multi-ba, hybrid, tribrid) will collab with know how to companies that doing BT receivers and on board DACs.
- TOTL IEMs like Monarch MK2/3 are barely fitting all the drivers inside oversized shell, not sure how squeezing electronics part will work there, so some compromises on drivers design must be made
- we are still struggling with industry standard true lossless high-res wireless protocol to get there, all we see are just some uncoordinated efforts here and there with everyone trying to pull the blanket their own way

And sorry to say that but SQ gap between TWS and wired IEMs even in the same price range is still huge, you just can't pretend it's not there.

They perfectly serve their intended purpose, but as of today they are not audiophile grade level, not even close.
Agreed. Not to mention that TWS are disposable as of today, given their battery isn't replaceable. That's a big downside for longevity.

Sep 25, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #56,969 of 62,419
Agreed. Not to mention that TWS are disposable as of today, given their battery isn't replaceable. That's a big downside for longevity.
How technology is advancing faster than before. Might see TWS with solid state batteries, smaller components and higher bandwidth to support True Hi-Res Lossless audio quality in the future. The future for TWS looks more bright than Wired IEMS

Sep 25, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #56,970 of 62,419
First Bose QC Ultra review here

Slightly improved "easy ANC" (constant noise) but behind the XM5 and APro2 for voices.

Still impossible to turn off ANC for a passive mode so same "mic noise" problems to be expected for biking/running/walking in windy areas.

My Jabra Elite Pro 10 should come in today or tomorrow, can't wait to check out the fit and ANC and see if it's worth upgrading from the EarFun AirPro 2 that did a great job again yesterday during a long train trip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back