Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 13, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #56,462 of 62,464
I own some IEM & TWS for far more than 10 years now, I usually kept them all if hey were not returned within 2 weeks.. these last 5 years, I was mostly playing with some :
-> Sony's IER-Z1R, IER-M9, XBA-N3, MH755
-> Sennheiser's IE900 IE600
-> Beyerdynamic's Xelento Gen 1
-> Vision Ears EXT
-> JVC's HA-FW1800
-> some chinese iems like Tangzu Zetian WU & Princess Chang Le, Kiwi Ears Quintet,
-> some other ...
-> and many TWS like B&0 E8v2, Apple Airpods Pro 2, Cambrige Melomania 1, JVC&Victor HA-FW1000T, Galaxy Buds Live & Buds2 pro, Sony FW-1000XM5, Technics AZ80, Jabra Elite 7 pro, Liberty 4, Sleep A10, .. and some others

What is strange, is that, after so many years and attempts, in 2023 my personal podium for most portable, comfortable and best sound quality IEM & TWS combo is on this picture...

1) The best sound quality is the IER-M9 with IER-Z1R silicon tips connected to a WM1A (Nayparm moded), but almost as good with the FIIO BTR7 (unfortunately too short battery playing time in LDAC mode for long 24 hours+ overseas trips).. if the IER-Z1R was some more comfortable in the ears, it would be on the podium instead the M9 for offering really convincing lows (for mid-high and high frequencies the M9 is for me an absolute reference probably boring for many but quite accurate with cymbals and other instruments)..

2) The XBA-N3, with 1000XM5 foam tips, is not so far the M9 for Sound Quality and it is quite convenient when plugged to the iFi Go Blu.. I really enjoy it a lot for office time... I would recommend any-time this, as a rather affordable, really fun with a very good sound quality portable combo... N3 a clearly a bit weaker than M9 for high frequencies (as if some details were missing).

3) The most convenient combo 24h/day 7days/week, with still a decent sound quality, is the 1000XM5 with some silicon Tips (I forgot from which brand I took these), though sound quality is rather significantly behind M9 and N3 set in BT LDAC mode !!!
With such decent ANC, I think I will use the 1000XM5 now for all my trips when planes, trains, metro and street are evolved (instead my 2 loved HA-FW1000T)..

NB : I usually use with all my IEM and TWS some PEQ (Android's PowerAmpEQ) with a rather similar frequency response target as RikudouGoku's target ... I would say at least a harman target with some ultra lows boost (20 to 60hz) and high frequencies boost (8kz to 12kz)

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #56,463 of 62,464
I own some IEM & TWS for far more than 10 years now, I usually kept them all if hey were not returned within 2 weeks.. these last 5 years, I was mostly playing with some :
-> Sony's IER-Z1R, IER-M9, XBA-N3, MH755
-> Sennheiser's IE900 IE600
-> Beyerdynamic's Xelento Gen 1
-> Vision Ears EXT
-> JVC's HA-FW1800
-> some chinese iems like Tangzu Zetian WU & Princess Chang Le, Kiwi Ears Quintet,
-> some other ...
-> and many TWS like B&0 E8v2, Apple Airpods Pro 2, Cambrige Melomania 1, JVC&Victor HA-FW1000T, Galaxy Buds Live & Buds2 pro, Sony FW-1000XM5, Technics AZ80, Jabra Elite 7 pro, Liberty 4, Sleep A10, .. and some others

What is strange, is that, after so many years and attempts, in 2023 my personal podium for most portable, comfortable and best sound quality IEM & TWS combo is on this picture...

1) The best sound quality is the IER-M9 with IER-Z1R silicon tips connected to a WM1A (Nayparm moded), but almost as good with the FIIO BTR7 (unfortunately too short battery playing time in LDAC mode for long 24 hours+ overseas trips).. if the IER-Z1R was some more comfortable in the ears, it would be on the podium instead the M9..

The XBA-N3, with 1000XM5 foam tips, is not so far the M9 for Sound Quality and it is quite convenient when plugged to the iFi Go Blu.. I really enjoy it a lot for office time... I would recommend anytime this as a rather affordable, really fun with very good sound quality combo.

The most convenient combo 24h/day 7days/week, with still a decent sound quality is the 1000XM5 with some Silicon Tips (I forgot which brand), though sound quality is rather significantly behind M9 and N3 in BT LDAC mode !!! With a decent ANC, I think I will use now for planes, trains, metro and street (instead my 2 loved HA-FW1000T)..

NB : I usually use with all my IEM and TWS some PEQ (Android's PowerAmpEQ) with a rather similar frequency response target as RikudouGoku's target ... I would say at least a harman target with some ultra lows boost (20 to 60hz) and high frequencies boost (8kz to 12kz)
Been eyeing those iFi go pods for weeks now. Any issues with them besides the huge case? Are they any good on calls?

Sep 13, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #56,464 of 62,464
Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing? I don't have that and I bought the first gen direct from Devialet.
You have to add the SN of the case to your "My Products" page. Then you will see that you are eligible for the upgrade. Mine came out to $358 shipped. Affirm over 3 months. I'm a glutton for punishment but these better deliver or they will be going back.

Sep 13, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #56,465 of 62,464
Been eyeing those iFi go pods for weeks now. Any issues with them besides the huge case? Are they any good on calls?

Yes .. for office purpose, no noticeable issue for me.. Outdoor, I only use AZ80 or 1000XM5

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #56,466 of 62,464
You have to add the SN of the case to your "My Products" page. Then you will see that you are eligible for the upgrade. Mine came out to $358 shipped. Affirm over 3 months. I'm a glutton for punishment but these better deliver or they will be going back.
Aw man, I definitely don’t have that info lying around. That’s a shame. Look forward to your impressions.

Sep 13, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #56,468 of 62,464
Blah. I can't find any of that stuff since I sold mine after I read these were coming. I'm the bigger glutton, I assure you.

Sep 13, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #56,470 of 62,464
1 day on amazon is live.
Oddly enough, I had Devialet Care on the pair I had, but sold them. I can see the care plan is still active on the site, but I can't find a serial from the case. They used to show that info. Oh well...

Sep 13, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #56,471 of 62,464
Blah. I can't find any of that stuff since I sold mine after I read these were coming. I'm the bigger glutton, I assure you.
I'm actually somewhat interested in the ANC and wind performance. It appears a lot of technology went into those features. No hi res codecs is pretty ridiculous at $450 or even $350 tbh but then again I continue to think codecs are snakeoil to the average ear.

Sep 13, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #56,472 of 62,464
Oddly enough, I had Devialet Care on the pair I had, but sold them. I can see the care plan is still active on the site, but I can't find a serial from the case. They used to show that info. Oh well...
Yeah same problem. I had a chat with support. You might hop online and try to press them. Tell them you lost the case. Maybe they'll budge.

Sep 13, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #56,473 of 62,464
I'm actually somewhat interested in the ANC and wind performance. It appears a lot of technology went into those features. No hi res codecs is pretty ridiculous at $450 or even $350 tbh but then again I continue to think codecs are snakeoil to the average ear.
The ANC was stellar for me on the first gen. I truly loved them, but the case was huge. After they updated the firmware, I had no issues with them. The Amazon page is down for me, just ordered from Devialet. Maybe I'll shoot them an email about the discount. They always had great customer service on my end. Aptx is good enough for my old ears. You know I'm an AAC guy most days. Titanium is on my mind...

Sep 13, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #56,475 of 62,464
Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing? I don't have that and I bought the first gen direct from Devialet.
Here is what I am seeing in the my product section…

Attachments

• 76B91614-BDE2-4969-AC89-C90AB7490F49.png
    76B91614-BDE2-4969-AC89-C90AB7490F49.png
    795.3 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back