Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 6, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #56,086 of 62,460
You compare completely different, both low res, earbuds and TWS and claiming you can hear the difference between LDAC and AptX lossless.
I wish I had ears like that as I had to be really hard pressed to hear any difference between wired (USB with UAPP) and BT connection (990kbps LDAC) of much more advanced DAC/AMP FiiO BTR7 using Monarch MK2.
Well I have stated that the Svanar does sound a bit better but comparing both I get better detail retrieval with the DPP using Aptx Lossless

Sep 6, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #56,087 of 62,460
You compare completely different, both low res, earbuds and TWS and claiming you can hear the difference between LDAC and AptX lossless.
I wish I had ears like that as I had to be really hard pressed to hear any difference between wired (USB with UAPP) and BT connection (990kbps LDAC) of much more advanced DAC/AMP FiiO BTR7 using Monarch MK2.
I have compared the Audeze Euclid to the DPP on Tidal FLAC music. The DPP almost did a good job retrieving detail compared to the Audeze. Then Prominense of wired Audio completely kills the DPP

Sep 6, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #56,088 of 62,460
I'm looking forward to Aptx lossless for much more reason than just the sound quality.

The low latency most of all :)

LDAC is pretty good if both your source and device have a newer SoC. But historically LDAC has been far form perfect, especially when using TWS.

Sep 6, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #56,089 of 62,460
Before I get crucified by the LDAC Mob for my blasphemy. I have access to both LDAC and Aptx Lossless. I can tell the difference in detail retrieval between both as I am only 32 years old. Not saying I have golden ears but am not that age as stated by some of you. And I understand that one's own hearing deteariates as one gets older. To me LDAC sounds awesome but not as lossless like some claim or just go by Sony's word. I have multiple high end TWS, gaming earbuds and an expensive Audeze Euclid. So have some experience with comparing them.

Attachments

• 1693980930909306813278491313842.jpg
    1693980930909306813278491313842.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Sep 6, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #56,090 of 62,460
Before I get crucified by the LDAC Mob for my blasphemy. I have access to both LDAC and Aptx Lossless. I can tell the difference in detail retrieval between both as I am only 32 years old. Not saying I have golden ears but am not that age as stated by some of you. And I understand that one's own hearing deteariates as one gets older. To me LDAC sounds awesome but not as lossless like some claim or just go by Sony's word. I have multiple high end TWS, gaming earbuds and an expensive Audeze Euclid. So have some experience with comparing them.

I think LDAC is not really concerned by most a rather poor TWS audio sound quality, even without any drops with most of modern BT 5.x transmitters..
Till now none of my most recent 2023 LDAC TWS (Sony, Technics, Soundcore, ... ) can approach the sound quality of a LDAC transimission used with a BTR7 BT/NW-WM1A receiver with some Sony IER-M9 or even Kiwi Ears Quintet/Tangzu Wu Zetian (I even don't compare with my more high-end IEM (VE Ext, IER-Z1R, IE 900 plugged to a good LDAC BT receiver).
Unfortunately, TWS are all, far more comfortable to be used most of the time outdoor/office/plane/trains/tubes/street.... so I accept some sound quality loss (muddy low frequencies, far less clear details in mid-high high frequencies)..

Sep 6, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #56,091 of 62,460
I think LDAC is not really concerned by most a rather poor TWS audio sound quality, even without any drops with most of modern BT 5.x transmitters..
Till now none of my most recent 2023 LDAC TWS (Sony, Technics, Soundcore, ... ) can approach the sound quality of a LDAC transimission used with a BTR7 BT/NW-WM1A receiver with some Sony IER-M9 or even Kiwi Ears Quintet/Tangzu Wu Zetian (I even don't compare with my more high-end IEM (VE Ext, IER-Z1R, IE 900 plugged to a good LDAC BT receiver).
Unfortunately, TWS are all, far more comfortable to be used most of the time outdoor/office/plane/trains/tubes/street.... so I accept some sound quality loss (muddy low frequencies, far less clear details in mid-high high frequencies)..
As of right now, the Svanar Wireless are the best LDAC TWS for sound. Not comparing it to how Sony implements it. So in a way I know how good LDAC has gotten for a TWS. Haven't tried LDAC from dedicated receivers, so can't add to that but my phone's DIRAC player enhances my TWS and IEM. So do get a better experience in sound enhancement compared to other up to date phones 😁

Sep 6, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #56,092 of 62,460
Is anyone here using Asus ROG Phones (6/7) for TWS?
I have a possibility to buy the 6 with a nice price, but I've read somewhere that it has an audio gaming tuning which can't be turned off (all the DSEE are always on). Can someone confirm? If that's true, how does a gaming tuning sound?

Sep 6, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #56,093 of 62,460
I've missed these weekly dalliances about Lossless

Sep 6, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #56,094 of 62,460
I never said you don't hear the difference.

The difference is unrelated to LDAC. Whatever makes the difference, its not the codec.

It is imposible, for any human on this planet, to hear the difference between an 990kbps LDAC connection and an 1200kbps aptX connection.

In blind tests, people can't even distinguish 320kbps MP3 from 1411kbps WAV files.

You would need the best ears any human ever had and even if there is an difference, its would be around 0.5db and less. You would need to have years of experience as an mastering engineer to hear that.

Whatever causes this difference in sound for you, is not the codec, its something else. Maybe the headphones or your smartphone use a difference processing, maybe a different EQ, whatever.

But whatever it is, even if there would be an difference between LDAC and aptX Lossless, just take it as granted and LDAC really isn't lossless, you would never ever, not in 1000 years, capable in hearing so.

You would need an perfectly tuned multi-way multi-ba Earphone and reference tracks that are good enough to highlight that to be able to tell an difference.

And no, non of your earphones is even remotely good enough to highlight the difference. You would need at least something like the IER-M9, TG335, VE8, Mach 80 or something similar to be able to hear the difference.

But i doubt that even an trained professional could hear the difference with one of these

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #56,095 of 62,460
Hooked up the DPP's with both my S23 (standard AptX cos of Android) and the Sennheiser BTD600 dongle to my PC and playing through Audirvana
Definitely comes up as receiving the AptX Adaptive HQ 96K stream

Little trick if anyone's struggling to pair to a dongle -- took me a while to get it paired since the dongle doesn't have any interface and even though i pressed the pairing button on both the dongle and in-app it just wouldn't connect. Solution was to press the pairing button on the dongle then press the button in-app and immediately turn-off bluetooth via the phone's control panel... it allowed the headphones to "see" the dongle.
Once i reconnected the phone the headphones played a "Multipoint Activated" prompt and i see both in the interface.

1693992427964.png

Sep 6, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #56,096 of 62,460
Sep 6, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #56,097 of 62,460
In blind tests, people can't even distinguish 320kbps MP3 from 1411kbps WAV files.

I would have to concur, that in my own experience, and many other peers relative in sound production/engineering, that this claim has been proven false upon blind experiments amongst one another.

But then again, yes maybe when output through a lower quality audio device is the bottlenecking factor of the acoustic spectrum, will you not hear a difference. However if the device has the capacity to pronounce a higher dynamic range than said files in comparison, then yes, you most certainly will hear the difference.

I couldn't help myself due to how 'people' in your comment comes across as a generalisation of everybody.

Sep 6, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #56,098 of 62,460
I've recently stumbled upon this blind test for testing the ability to tell the difference between lossless and lossy quality: https://abx.digitalfeed.net/

Anyone did that in the past? Basically, if the claim that 'better' TWS/IEMs allow to hear 'more' is true, then the % of correctly recognized lossless songs should be higher compared to using 'worse' equipment.

Anybody up for the test and sharing the results? Truth be told I'd do that myself but I have no equipment that can play music in such quality...

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #56,099 of 62,460
I would have to concur, that in my own experience, and many other peers relative in sound production/engineering, that this claim has been proven false upon blind experiments amongst one another.

But then again, yes maybe when output through a lower quality audio device is the bottlenecking factor of the acoustic spectrum, will you not hear a difference. However if the device has the capacity to pronounce a higher dynamic range than said files in comparison, then yes, you most certainly will hear the difference.

I couldn't help myself due to how 'people' in your comment comes across as a generalisation of everybody.

I agree like many with you, without being sound engineer, that it's so easy to test by our self with any good android device to make instant A/B comparison, that it looks incredible there still some people to doubt about those wireless transmission protocols impacts.
With any recent good mixed and recorded files (CD wav or Lossless Flac), it is clear that there is a significant sound quality difference just by switching under android instantly between SBC / AAC and LDAC transmissions (with APTX adaptive/HD/Lossless it's less clear for me).

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #56,100 of 62,460
I never said you don't hear the difference.

The difference is unrelated to LDAC. Whatever makes the difference, its not the codec.

It is imposible, for any human on this planet, to hear the difference between an 990kbps LDAC connection and an 1200kbps aptX connection.

Then why defend LDAC? The big whole thread derailing codec arguments but yet you can't tell a difference or the difference comes from elsewhere. The stupid actual bits lost vs. not perceiving it thing. Get on the same page and clear to what each is talking about. Better yet don't argue if you can't hear the difference anyway or it will come from somewhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back