Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 14, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #55,306 of 62,431
After buying / selling many IEM's i've just come to the conclusion that i genuinely can't tell much difference anymore. My ears are either losing their edge due to age or anything i was hearing before was because i wanted to.
I can hear the differences between different TWS/IEM's absolutely but once i get any given set into whichever sweetspot works best for them i cannot tell any appreciable difference between the sources be that 24/96 FLAC, Spotify or FLAC+MQA fully unfolded.

There's simply too much going on in my own head for me to be able to A/B sources with anything other than me convincing myself there must be a difference.
I'm settling and stopping the train to get off :) I got the MTW3's and i'm delighted by them. They do everything i want them to do which is 1. sound great, 2. fit great, 3. stay in the right place no matter what.

Hopefully they last a good while although seeing people posting here doesn't fill me that much confidence but seems their warranty is good at least for 2 years so hoping to keep them until they're dead

Enjoying the thread immensely though and find it interesting and informative anyway -- wouldn't have switched to the Sedna Crystal's without someone recommendation
Perfect! You sound like a music lover 👍
Not concentrating on line feed noise. We do need to keep pushing the state of the art, but it’s the music first.. I listened to Mozart second piano quartet this morning on the way to work, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Aug 14, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #55,307 of 62,431
Perfect! You sound like a music lover 👍
Not concentrating on line feed noise. We do need to keep pushing the state of the art, but it’s the music first.. I listened to Mozart second piano quartet this morning on the way to work, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
It does become addictive and it's senseless really --- the tangible difference between one thing and another for a typical listener is so fine. I'm just going to enjoy music again.... i'll give that Mozart piece later. I do like my classical too along with most other music you care to name :wink:

Aug 14, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #55,308 of 62,431
After buying / selling many IEM's i've just come to the conclusion that i genuinely can't tell much difference anymore. My ears are either losing their edge due to age or anything i was hearing before was because i wanted to.
I can hear the differences between different TWS/IEM's absolutely but once i get any given set into whichever sweetspot works best for them i cannot tell any appreciable difference between the sources be that 24/96 FLAC, Spotify or FLAC+MQA fully unfolded.

There's simply too much going on in my own head for me to be able to A/B sources with anything other than me convincing myself there must be a difference.
I'm settling and stopping the train to get off :) I got the MTW3's and i'm delighted by them. They do everything i want them to do which is 1. sound great, 2. fit great, 3. stay in the right place no matter what.

Hopefully they last a good while although seeing people posting here doesn't fill me that much confidence but seems their warranty is good at least for 2 years so hoping to keep them until they're dead

Enjoying the thread immensely though and find it interesting and informative anyway -- wouldn't have switched to the Sedna Crystal's without someone recommendation
That’s how I feel about my collection as well. I can tell that music sounds like ABC when I wear one pair, and DEF when I wear another pair. But after about five to ten minutes or so of listening, the sound kinda…blends in my head, for lack of a better term.

That’s why I changed my priorities a while ago to physical fit and comfort, followed closely by practical use case.

Aug 14, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #55,309 of 62,431
The extreme love for audio in Japan by some is well documented:

A_Gift_for_Music_Lovers_Who_Have_It_All__A_Personal_Utility_Pole_-_WSJ.jpg

I wonder if 82 year old ears can really hear the difference.

That being said, I am daily amazed when I look around the ears on my daily train commute in Tokyo. The level of awareness a lot of people seem to have, indicated by the huge variety of plugs in their earholes, or fancy ANC over ears (though right now it is way too hot for those) ... but also local niche items like some Ashidavox on-ears. Made in Japan, totally make me smile every time I put them on.

On the other hand of the spectrum of course I also see a LOT of people trying to wear clearly not-airpod style TWS like airpods, with the main part hanging out pointing down, instead of nestling cozily in the concha ...

IMG_3251.JPG
I wonder if that pole is HD, and what codecs it has? :jecklinsmile:

Aug 14, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #55,310 of 62,431
TWS are based on insanely cheap consumer earphone, so most of them either have an completely muddy sound or what japanese call "donshari" which means lots of bass and lots of treble.

As this tuning sounds rather garbage but is loved by the majority of people because bass and bass and bass (no matter the quality, most important is to hear a lot of it.

The Nuratrue Pro just doesn't sound bad, thats all, so nothing special and nothing excellent or good. They too are just average consumer grade earphone but they use a tuning that is not horroundes which is an novelty in the TWS space.

But they are nowhere close to good. They are the one-eyed between the blind, but they are not the only one either.
Your statement is really broad and maybe could be updated. TWS tuning/manufacturing /companies/appraoch has been evolving since the early versions that were just focusing on cutting the wires. Different companies are at a different maturity cycle of their products, Sony vs Final Audio, Sennheiser vs Hifiman, Apple vs Noble as just examples of different companies , TWC devices to date,etc.

Most IEM/Hedaphone companies have noticed how this market segment is growing and people are willing to invest, so this will drive more investment into this component.

TWS cannot be evaluated under the same lens of a hardwired IEM as each have their merits.

Aug 14, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #55,311 of 62,431
I listened to my Focal Elear with Clear pads this morning, then my Aful Performer 8’s after that, and then my MTW3’s after that. I can still enjoy the MTW3’s even after using “better” stuff the same day. A good TWS is a good TWS.

Also with the Comply foam tips that came with my AKG N400’s the MTW3’s have almost Etymotic level of isolation. I’m usually a foam tip hater, but the isolation here is outstanding and with a quick EQ tweak I’m not noticing a difference in sound with the foam tips.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #55,312 of 62,431
I listened to my Focal Elear with Clear pads this morning, then my Aful Performer 8’s after that, and then my MTW3’s after that. I can still enjoy the MTW3’s even after using “better” stuff the same day. A good TWS is a good TWS.

Also with the Comply foam tips that came with my AKG N400’s the MTW3’s have almost Etymotic level of isolation. I’m usually a foam tip hater, but the isolation here is outstanding and with a quick EQ tweak I’m not noticing a difference in sound with the foam tips.
So true about the R&D dollars.. Wireless Bluetooth IS becoming the bandwagon; all are hopping on. 👍

Aug 14, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #55,313 of 62,431
Have the Sony WF-1000xm4s. Got them on ebay for $71. Just the phones, case and medium tips. Also have the Apple Airpod Pro 2 on hand. Plus several other pair of TWS phones, nothing expensive. Favorite is the Cambridge Melomania 2.

Bought the xm5s. took a chance. Came today. Messed around with the EQ, just a bit more bass and a little less treble. Using both Amszon Music and the 13k tracks on my phone, several hundred Apple lossless tracks included. The xm4s are going to a friend. The Airpod Pro 2 to my daughter. I’m sold. Have both an iphone 13 and a older Android phone I use as a DAP. Have to check out LDAC.

Aug 14, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #55,314 of 62,431
Receive the Anima ANW02

Attachments

• P_20230814_152134.jpg
    P_20230814_152134.jpg
    968.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P_20230814_152228.jpg
    P_20230814_152228.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 16920519466438554227079223201429.jpg
    16920519466438554227079223201429.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 16920519670094300988150575881158.jpg
    16920519670094300988150575881158.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Aug 14, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #55,318 of 62,431
Received my Denon Perl Pro today. I did the personalized sound test and it does make a big difference than the default mode. The sound is pretty natural and fun. I turned down the immersion (bass boost) by -1 and that is good enough bass for me. If you are a bass head, this TWS is perfect for you because at positive gain of the bass boost, this thing can shake your eardrums. This TWS is most definitely the loudest ever when "high gain" mode activated.
Fit is good even with stock tips.
20230814_152730.jpg20230814_153806.jpg

Aug 14, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #55,319 of 62,431

Users who are viewing this thread

Back