Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 6, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #55,036 of 62,435
The Zolo Liberty + came out in late 2017, so I'm guessing the Earin was the year before?

Like you say, we've come a hell of a long way in just 6-7 years.
I think 2015ish. I was in on the Bragi Dash and Earin M1 back then. Then the M2 for both. Absolutely LOVED the Bragi Dash Pro. So very sad when they sold off their hardware business which ultimately died out. The Klipsch T5 II ANC have the Bragi OS in them. Not the same, but fun nonetheless.

Aug 6, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #55,037 of 62,435
Sennheiser MTW3 vs. NOBLE Audio FoKus H-ANC, anyone had them both?
I don’t think the Fokus H-ANC got much love here eh?
I sort of need a new set of TWS as a backup.
I need moderate to good ANC and good sq.
Can also get the Sennheiser CX Plus heavily discounted. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #55,039 of 62,435
I'm actually going to take the MTW3 over the Mystique on my trip to Montana this week. The ANC will be nice but it also has a better transparency mode with a respectable interface, and I'll need that when traveling with my family. Noble has gotten complaints but it seems it is too much for them to make a simple fix to get in and out of transparency mode in a reasonable way, rather than the insanely cumbersome way it is now.

I'll also be taking the Momentum 4 wireless, and the U4s with the iFi Go Pods.

Aug 6, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #55,040 of 62,435
Hey @Tommy C , I still have my comfobuds pro that I purchased based on your feedback (if I remember well) here a while ago
What's your main TWS now ?
Awesome! Yeah, I believe it was me, good memory.
I still own the Comfobuds Pro ( I gifted one away and then bought a second pair but it’s faulty as there is a problem with the mic).
My current rotation is:
Shure TW2 adapters + UE 900
Sennheiser CX400 (really grew on me with the new app update)
Fiil T1 XS

Aug 6, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #55,042 of 62,435
Sennheiser MTW3 vs. NOBLE Audio FoKus H-ANC, anyone had them both?
I don’t think the Fokus H-ANC got much love here eh?
I sort of need a new set of TWS as a backup.
I need moderate to good ANC and good sq.
Can also get the Sennheiser CX Plus heavily discounted. Thoughts?
I'd go MTW3. More bells and whistles. The FHANC sounded decent but the build quality felt cheaper. Mackie makes a clone of them. Curious if those sounds good.

Aug 6, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #55,043 of 62,435
Awesome! Yeah, I believe it was me, good memory.
I still own the Comfobuds Pro ( I gifted one away and then bought a second pair but it’s faulty as there is a problem with the mic).
My current rotation is:
Shure TW2 adapters + UE 900
Sennheiser CX400 (really grew on me with the new app update)
Fiil T1 XS
I had an awful experience with 1More for defective buds. Battery drain issues 2x. First time they replaced them. Second time they claimed they only replace once for warranty. I'll never buy from them again.

Aug 6, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #55,045 of 62,435
Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #55,046 of 62,435
Aug 6, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #55,047 of 62,435
They will suit smaller ears better as they are small earbuds and that is the issue many including me had even with L/XL 3rd party tips (14mm) the wings would not hold.

I was not doing vigorous exercises, just sitting and out walking and I could feel them start to move outwards.

The advice some reviewers gave was to get the sports model as they are larger and have larger actual wings not fins/hoops, but they are not the same spec.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #55,048 of 62,435
I'm actually going to take the MTW3 over the Mystique on my trip to Montana this week. The ANC will be nice but it also has a better transparency mode with a respectable interface, and I'll need that when traveling with my family. Noble has gotten complaints but it seems it is too much for them to make a simple fix to get in and out of transparency mode in a reasonable way, rather than the insanely cumbersome way it is now.

I'll also be taking the Momentum 4 wireless, and the U4s with the iFi Go Pods.
the momentum 4 is a favorite for me -- sounds great out of the box and the mics are actually class leading.

Aug 7, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #55,049 of 62,435
Long update + sorta review. Tl:dr at bottom

So I got the Spinfit W1 for my Denon Perl Pros and it ended up saving the experience for me. They are now usable while running, although still finicky. Case does not close fully, but very fortunately they are still able to charge. Hasn’t been an issue in my pocket.

The biggest surprise was actually the sound. I wasn’t expecting much difference, but it’s huge. Where voices sounded artificially rolled off before, now they are full. Bass is even more visceral, and the weight is much better supported.

Overall I’d describe the PerL as “frustratingly good”. The tech is legit, the sound is awesome and unique (with the right tips), and functions are snappy and reliable.

But every genius feature seems to be countered by a poor design choice. The case is fairly sleek and small, yet looks less inspiring than some $50 chifi ones. It is a fingerprint magnet despite being matte, and hard to wipe off.

The buds are equally plain, the only indication of their premium nature being the thin edge of aluminum. However, this band is right where you need to pinch to “spin” them into your ears. Since they are perfectly round and with the slick metal, there is no reference point and your fingers slide trying to insert them.

Which brings me to the next ridiculous choice, the overall design of a huge plain heavy circle. Aside from looking like you’re an android with antennas on your head, the center of gravity is above and further out than either the wing or tip, so of course they want to just jump out of your ear and break seal. The wings are painfully tight yet still don’t manage to keep then seated (because the weight is forward of where the wing holds).

It’s a love/hate deal for me. It has the best separation and layering of frequency ranges of anything I’ve heard, where you can have brain rattling bass without even touching other ranges that still sound perfectly clear and composed. The spatial audio makes even crappy 80’s pop recordings sound beautifully mastered and works amazingly with movies/tv. It is the only pair I’ve not wanted to EQ (after the spinfits).

The touch sensors are immediate, the transparency mode is immediate (but not adjustable), the in-your-ear sensors are perfect (importantly not getting triggered by adjustments) and only turn on when put in your ear with a nice “welcome back” so you know it’s seated. Only a single technical hiccup that was easily resolved by restarting the problem bud (personalized setting did not update on one side). Even multipoint works flawlessly between tv and phone.

I’d describe the sound character as “hifi stereo”. Effortless extension and clear, although artificially clear with stock tips (important ranges are highlighted but lack natural detail with stock tips, in my ears).

Compared to Mystique: Where the PerL sounds modern and technical (with oomph), Mystique sounds lush and romantic. I apply a W-shape EQ to the Mystique to improve soundstage, separation and clarity. Mystique can’t match the detailed and dynamic subbass of the PerL, which was pretty much my only gripe about the Mystique’s sound. Mystique are gorgeous to look at (although case is a bit plain still), but the tech is not nearly as refined or responsive. Fit is much much easier but not perfect. I do appreciate the 10-band eq though, and wonder if the W1 tips would have helped the Mystique’s lacking bass extension.

Summary for PerL Pro: If you don’t plan on being active with them and are willing to experiment/spend more on tips I highly recommend. I just wish they’d make them look like the price tag, fix the weight distribution/fit, and add adjustability to transparency mode.

Aug 7, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #55,050 of 62,435
Oh yes, I remember owning the Zolo and the 65t. Before that, I was an early adopter of the first gen Earin. I stupidly suffered their disconnects and still fell in love with them. Sigh... Pretty awesome to see how far it's all come.
Nice trip down memory lane. I remember reading about the Earin in a free magazine I got in Japan in 2015 (at e-earphone, my drug dealer of preference now) ... and finally in early 2017 i bought my first TWS, the Jabra Sport Elite, which were just fantastic and I totally used the sport features on them besides the music, was actually my first connection to Strava (I think back then Apple Watch did not play well with Strava yet) ...

So, soon we are celebrating 10 years of TWS

I am laying low now, I am overall very happy with what I have, for my personal usage and sound taste, I get everything I want from the Bose QC2, the APP2, the ShokZ Openrun for races, and then from time to time I dig into my old stash, just for fun. Last night the Sony 1000X NO MARK, FIRST :) which still hold about an hour of battery, still sound superb (still barely noticeable ANC and terrible driver flex when I shove them into my ear holes)

Curious when we get some real new news on super duper codecs and or anything that really is a major improvement ... until then, everything else is just GAS :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back