Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 3, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #53,116 of 62,468
Awesome, you and anyone else who can try LDAC, it would good to know how long the AZ80 last using that and ANC. Some reviews are saying 4-4.5hrs which is not great. So curious what people are getting in real use.
Mine arrived today, I can do LDAC on my phone, PC via FiiO BTA30 PRO also via Windows Alt AD2P Driver and Nvidia Shield but I am not subbed to any HD services right now and only own a few 24/96 albums so CD rips 320k for now but could set to 24/96 (990) and see battery life.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #53,117 of 62,468
Splitting my long post lol:

Still messing with the EQ on the QCE II but have not been playing so much recently as trying to work out fit with some open box ZE8000s I got hold of a few days back. (Taken a few days just to settle on which size tip lol! Never had tips like these, where all the sizes are sort of capable of staying in my ear to some extent.)

Early impression of those (vs Beoplay EX) is that they share a similar sound quality, maybe the ZE8000 takes everything the EX does well (smooth treble, impacting bass, detailed sound, nice soundstage) and maybe does it a bit better?

Not sure if it is enough to warrant giving up the quality of life benefits that come with the EX for most people (comfortable easy fit, IPX7, multipoint, wireless charging, form factor, 3 year transferable warranty, slightly longer battery life, but overpriced at RRP imo). ANC on both seems comparable (i.e. towards the mediocre end of spectrum), but I much prefer the transparency mode of ZE8000.

We'll see. Yet to touch the EQ on ZE8000 (which I already know will help it suit my tastes better), or the 8K sound setting (see if it is more of a gimmick or anything useful). In the spirit of current TV culture, one of these two will have to go.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #53,118 of 62,468
Splitting my long post lol:

Still messing with the EQ on the QCE II but have not been playing so much recently as trying to work out fit with some open box ZE8000s I got hold of a few days back. (Taken a few days just to settle on which size tip lol! Never had tips like these, where all the sizes are sort of capable of staying in my ear to some extent.)

Early impression of those (vs Beoplay EX) is that they share a similar sound quality, maybe the ZE8000 takes everything the EX does well (smooth treble, impacting bass, detailed sound, nice soundstage) and maybe does it a bit better?

Not sure if it is enough to warrant giving up the quality of life benefits that come with the EX for most people (comfortable easy fit, IPX7, multipoint, wireless charging, form factor, 3 year transferable warranty, slightly longer battery life, but overpriced at RRP imo). ANC on both seems comparable (i.e. towards the mediocre end of spectrum), but I much prefer the transparency mode of ZE8000. We'll see. In the spirit of current TV culture, one of these two will have to go.
from those you wrote,bose QC 2 outperforms in every way both ze8000 and EX

Jun 3, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #53,119 of 62,468
@C_Lindbergh do you have any more impressions you're ready to share? I have been enjoying all of your impressions so far.

Also happy for anyone else's impressions on either product!

I also get around 5.5 hours with LDAC, which is enough for most of my use-cases, honestly the only Issue I've had with battery life the past 2 years is with the ZE8000, it lose all battery during a work shift.

Not sure what else to say, the AZ80 are the best all-rounders I've come across in this space! The AZ80 are the best tws for most people on the market imo, unless you're looking for something very speficit, like the very best ANC or very best sound quality. But with that said, the ANC and SQ is really really good.

For sound I'd describe the stock tuning as fairly neutral for product in this space, great separation/stage for a TWS too! But yeah, something like the ZE8000 has a small edge here, from my memory it sounds slightly more "realistic" (Timbre).

The fit is like I've said probably the best I've tried of all TWS, honestly almost as comfortable as something like the Meze Rai Penta. I love how it fits in the inner-ear, also next to zero pressure build up (looks like there's a vent). I could wear these for a total of 8 hours yesterday with just a few small breaks, without any issues.

The connectivity/pairing processes is sublime, especially with the help of "Google Fastpair", they just worked from the start. I imagine this is how Apple-users are experiencing their Airpods :)

ANC/Transparency is also top tier, I work in a industrial setting, and these did a good job of blocking out the noise. Transparency in the "attention" setting works really well with its focus on human voices.

For the touch controls I can say with confidence that the AZ80's controls are the best I've tested, it just works and is almost fully customisable, I can so effortlessly switch to the "Attention-mode" for a quick conversation and then back again to ANC/music with a single tap.

One little feature that I like is how the built in wear-sensors works, when they detect that you're not wearing the earbud they disable the touch controls, so you almost never get any accidental touches when you're fiddling with the earbuds. Another tiny detail is that there's 2 separate LEDs for the case and earbuds, which comes in handy.

The app is also top-tier, boatloads of different settings and features, many of those are really useful, especially the control customisation. If I have to say something negative is that I wish there was a "connection"-tab, were you can manage all your paired devices (Sennheiser does this). I also wish you could customise the "touch and hold" control like you can with 1x/2x/3x-taps, as of now you're limited to like 3-4 options there. I also want there to be a way to utilise both different ambient modes without manually switching in the app.

Finally the build quality is fantastic, it just feels very well made in all aspects, including the case hinge. In my opinion they're also very aetesthically pleasing, especially the white ones with the polished back plate.

I'm looking forward to future software updates, especially the promised LE-Audio-update! :)

20230603_095801[1031].JPG

Jun 3, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #53,121 of 62,468
Jun 3, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #53,123 of 62,468
Exactly what I feel about the Bose QC 2. They sound like headphones with the big soundstage and the bass is fluid and dynamic like they should be coming from much bigger drivers.
I've been thinking about giving these a shot, and this post just put me over the edge. I was basically there anyway.
Me too. Waiting on the AZ80.

Man this has been an expensive few days (ordered or received: Noble Mystique, iFi Go Pods, AZ80, a new DAP, and the Cayin RU7).

My wife’s been out of the country for several months, so, let’s blame this on retail therapy…
in a similar boat. This week I've purchased the AZ80 in silver at the 25% off price B&H has had for their preorder, and just minutes ago purchased the QC Buds II. luckily I can justify that with a 25% off discount through work. I expect Samsung will have a new Buds pro 3 later this summer when they release the new foldables and watches, I'll probably buy those to see what the SSC is all about now that I'm in the samsung sandbox. And i'm planning on picking up the new PSB TWEs asap. Also been on a bit of an over ear kick, got the PX8 earlier this year but sold them, then the MW75...Please no one else release anything else I might be tempted to buy.

Jun 3, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #53,124 of 62,468
Yes.. I bought the Jabra Elite 7 pro based on their test ... and, though sound quality is not bad at all, by a significant margin,
&
There is even no way to improve the very dull Elite 7 pro with some PEQ adjustments, no chance to even reach a simple Harman 2019 target because of distorsion.
To me that says they aren't even worth considering for SQ. Distortion and dull. i mean that's bad sound surely.

and I have no doubt AAC is a way too limited compared to LDAC for sound quality... and BT LDAC is still a way behind a good wired IEM, even a cheap bullet IEM like Soundmagic E11.
On this I gotta disagree and once again prove my point that codecs aren't going to be the TWS saving grace.

A/B testing the Noble Fokus Pro against my IMR Bass Cannon and honestly, the Fokus takes the cake. APTX Adaptive and the sound is more lively, full and detailed. I know we could say that this might mean that the IMR BC is the problem, but I don't think so, they are a pretty top notch IEM.

If a good codec is all that's required why even bother having any more than one TWS with LHDC or LDAC? There's the precious codec solution sorted. But here we are, all buying more and more, because of tuning and drivers and note weight and details and sound presentation.

Also so far TWS are more capable of delivering out of head soundstage due to the software processing solutions available for the chips. Only the Noble Kublai Khan has beaten the Nuratrue Pro soundstage so far and even then, sometimes I've not so sure it even does that.

*Sorry for my tone, having a whiskey. Not trynna fight :)

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #53,125 of 62,468
What a debacle. Still going with my AZ. Five hours in and 20% left. Not bad.
I am excited to hear them...
How did you get them to cancel???
Sent them multiple emails.. from their website and the shop app and told them how f'ed up they are, please cancel this order.

Jun 3, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #53,126 of 62,468
A/B testing the Noble Fokus Pro against my IMR Bass Cannon and honestly, the Fokus takes the cake. APTX Adaptive and the sound is more lively, full and detailed. I know we could say that this might mean that the IMR BC is the problem, but I don't think so, they are a pretty top notch IEM.
And how does the Noble compare in bass vs BC and NuraTrue Pro? Although heavy EQed, my NTP can't compete with the power of my Dark Matter, which is supposed to be quite similar to the BC'23.

Jun 3, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #53,127 of 62,468
And how does the Noble compare in bass vs BC and NuraTrue Pro? Although heavy EQed, my NTP can't compete with the power of my Dark Matter, which is supposed to be quite similar to the BC'23.
Most the IMR cultists :) (I'm one too) will say that the BC is ever so slightly more musical than the DM.

The bass is about equal on both but I'm getting more of a 'wow' with my Fokus Pro for sub-bass.

The real difference comes in at the mids. The Fokus Pro. I'm getting equal detail retrieval and just about the same note weight, but the Fokus has more colour to the mids of the music making the BC sound a tad more dull (Although not dull at all). The BC is more analogue sounding while the Fokus Pro is more modern sounding if that makes sense.

Fokus soundtstage is bigger which is weird due to the open back of the BC but possibly also due to that, it plays across a blacker background which gives the impression of size.

As for the Nura, it has better and more interesting low end than both, way bigger separation and soundstage than both but doesn't have the same immersive and lively mids/highs.

Listening to the Pro now, The Wizard just knows how to tune an iem. So full and atmospheric. Even the silences sound musical.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #53,130 of 62,468
I am excited to hear them...

Sent them multiple emails.. from their website and the shop app and told them how f'ed up they are, please cancel this order.
I’m doing the same.
Still waiting for them to cancel mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back