Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 2, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #53,057 of 62,437
Jun 2, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #53,058 of 62,437
I'm looking for TWS earphones for phone calls and listening to music in places that require some attention, so good isolation is not welcome. It should be a replacement for my Faael Iris 2.0 earbuds and I'm currently considering some Airpods style TWS like SoundPeats Air3 Deluxe HS, which I can buy for 43 euro on Amazon. I only have one TWS earphones, which are EarFun Air S and their microphones are really good. They basically beat the Iris 2.0 in every situation except on windy days (the Air S are exposed to the wind and the Faael microphone is hidden under clothing). In terms of sound signature I'll be happy to hear some extension at both ends with hint of warmth and good soundstage, so a well executed V-shape should be ok.

I'm also thinking about buying cable with mic for my Smabat ST10, but it's so hard to find a good one.
I've included all of the major budget semi-in-ear buds in this call quality test, including the SoundPEATS Air3 Deluxe HS, Air3, Edifier W220T, Oppo Enco Air3, Tronsmart Onyx Ace Pro, FIIL Key, Soundcore Life Note 3S, QCY T20 etc. You can check the sound signatures of each of them on my squiglink

Jun 2, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #53,059 of 62,437
.. some more little feedback of the AZ80 ..
-> I finally could find a way to use efficiently the stock tips (large one) with very good sealing (decent passive noise cancellation) .. though I still prefer Spinfit CP360.
-> They have same issue as 1000-XM4, they are really thick, so we can't lay down with the head the side for a long time.
-> LDAC mode, is a bit tricky and long to activate, but still worth to use it, as it is again a step up for sound quality compared to AAC mode
-> to optimize the sound quality to my preferences, I need to accentuate a little bit more the V shape frequency response with Poweramp EQ (increase by several Db with some low and high shelves, to approach my "usual/prefered" Harman 2019 target response)
-> unfortunately in LDAC mode without ANC,, battery playing time is something between 5h30 and 6h .. which is a bit too short.

So, probably Technics made it => a serious TWS for music lovers. Those engineers, managed to create a very good TWS, becoming close some BTR7 + HA-FW1800/XBA-N3AP concerning sound quality (there is still room for improvement) and clearly more comfortable for a daily and outdoor use.
Now, I am a bit mode confident that there is a possibility that the next TWS from Sony 1000-XM5 will close the gap for TWS with the best LDAC BT receivers et Good IEMS.

Actually, industrial/experimented Japanese firms in audio like JVC/Technics/Sony seem to increase, with every new models, the available sound quality for music lovers... that's a good thing for the near future.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #53,060 of 62,437
NuraTrue Pro users, what's that about? "New sound is on the horizon." Any ideas? https://www.nurasound.com/products/nuratrue-pro
Yea I thought they were discontinueing all stock. Pretty sure they have no Pro's left.

Signing up tho. Love the sound. After listening to the Fokus Pro for the first time I can say the Nuratrue Pro low end presentation is completely unique and in a class of its own.

Hope they fix their QC issues

Jun 2, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #53,061 of 62,437
.. some more little feedback of the AZ80 ..
-> I finally could find a way to use efficiently the stock tips (large one) with very good sealing (decent passive noise cancellation) .. though I still prefer Spinfit CP360.
-> They have same issue as 1000-XM4, they are really thick, so we can't lay down with the head the side for a long time.
-> LDAC mode, is a bit tricky and long to activate, but still worth to use it, as it is again a step up for sound quality compared to AAC mode
-> to optimize the sound quality, I need to accentuate a little bit more the V shape frequency response with Poweramp EQ (increase by several Db with some low and high shelves, to approach my "usual/prefered" Harman 2019 target response)
-> unfortunately in LDAC mode without ANC,, battery playing time is something between 5h30 and 6h .. which is a bit too short.

So, probably Technics made it => a serious TWS for music lovers. Those engineers, managed to create a very good TWS, becoming close some BTR7 + HA-FW1800/XBA-N3AP concerning sound quality (there is still room for improvement) and clearly more comfortable for a daily and outdoor use.
No I am a bit mode confident that there is a possibility that the next TWS from Sony 1000-XM5 will close the gap for TWS with the best LDAC BT receivers et Good IEMS.

Actually, industrial/experimented Japanese firms in audio like JVC/Technics/Sony seems to increase with every new models, the available sound quality for music lovers... that's a good thing for the near future.
today sent back Anker Soundcore Liberty 4 back to seller. eartips not correct set. missing one large . also medium on earbuds is same size vs medium deeper must be in box. also i like very bose QCE II sound and tone similar to my focal stellia . so ended rolling tws. keep only qce ii.

Jun 2, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #53,062 of 62,437
I see that the Sony WF-1000XM4 have currently a nice discount on Amazon (probably selling out before XM5 rollout). Does it make sense to try them out if I already own more highend buds like NuraTrue Pro?
I don't personally think so.

You'll be disappointed by the SQ against the Pro. But if you have QC issues with the Nura maybe worth considering

Jun 2, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #53,064 of 62,437
I haven't see much chatter here regarding Beoplay EX, perhaps noting they are pricey (although less than the Svanar). Reviews I've seen are quite favorable for SQ, I like that they offer AptX adaptive and multipoint, reviews less enthused about their ANC, I didn't find much about controls / functionality. Any current or recent users have an impression to share? Thanks!
They are Top Tier and excellent. Waterproof, top tier sound, I love them. Controls are pre-determined, but functional. The finger taps always worked well for me for control. My brother got his pair used(Amazon $220) and was able to activate the 3 year warranty. That price eliminates the largest negative.

Jun 2, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #53,065 of 62,437
Hey everyone, do Go Pods count? If so, what IEMs have you used with them?
Get the hell outta here ya poser.

I hope you know that's a joke. Welcome.

I have a Go Pod question, are there some iems you're too scared to take out into the world? I don't have the gonads to put the Kublai Khan on a go Pod type thing.

Jun 2, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #53,067 of 62,437
someone mentioned severe dropouts with the engine 4. I only have mini pro ldac that i got for hiking and audiobooks,and that one also have rando droputs and stuttering.
No dropouts or stuttering for me on Sony Xperia 1 IV. Some minor issues before upgrading to firmware 0.1.6, since then stability has been spot on

Jun 2, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #53,068 of 62,437
NuraTrue Pro users, what's that about? "New sound is on the horizon." Any ideas? https://www.nurasound.com/products/nuratrue-pro
I'd assume better (full) EQ in the app maybe?

I sold mine recently due to preferring to use my wired IEM's with Quedelix 5K and having the Oppo Enco X2 which fit my ears much better. I did see a set with a slightly bashed up case the other day for £130 and was very tempted but decided against it as I thought they (Nura) were dead now.. seems like that's not the case! Nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back