Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 25, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #52,801 of 62,389
Well after reading the AZ80 comments, which kind of seem lukewarm, and knowing that Technics hasn't sent a shipping notification, reversed my CC charge, and won't respond to emails I have to say I am underwhelmed thus far. Suffice it to say, I hope Sony has a better release, which I am sure they will.

May 25, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #52,803 of 62,389
Well after reading the AZ80 comments, which kind of seem lukewarm, and knowing that Technics hasn't sent a shipping notification, reversed my CC charge, and won't respond to emails I have to say I am underwhelmed thus far. Suffice it to say, I hope Sony has a better release, which I am sure they will.
Bummer on customer service but I’m not too surprised. I wouldn’t say lukewarm, but if you were expecting Noble/Final audio quality, I don’t think you’ll be happy. They sound very nice, are feature packed with better than average ANC and a pretty great fit (for me). They are definitely better categorized as competitors to Bose, Sony, Apple, Samsung in my view. I do think it’s a close call with the Nuras.

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #52,804 of 62,389
I really like them too, use them a lot, and am very glad I’ve got them… but what slightly grated on me is that they could be so much better: the hiss, the glitches, the call quality…
Mine have been glitching lately after being perfect for a while with endless battery. Almost forgot about the hiss tbh but I use them in noisy environments only.

May 25, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #52,805 of 62,389
May 25, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #52,806 of 62,389
Just looking at SoundPEATS' release schedule....after the Engine4 (which I'm testing at the moment and am very impressed with) they are launching the GoFree (an Oladance-style sports bud), Air4, Air4 Lite & Air4 Deluxe HS (think Apple Airpod gen3 crossed with the Air3) and the RunFree. No signs of slowing down!

May 25, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #52,807 of 62,389
Wa

if sound quality is your priority this is the way. I personally go back and forth on which i prioritize. For a while, I think something like the mystique and sq are my number 1 quality then I realize that for convenience purposes I really need ANC. Then I use something like the Bose for a while and miss the sound quality of the ZE8000. It seems like compromise is still required. The AZ80 may get closest to the best all arounder I’ve heard to date but I don’t think they beat the best sounding TWS. On the other hand, they do seem to beat the best of the so-called all arounders like APP2, Bose, Nura and Sony. I don’t think the ANC beats Apple or Bose but I do think the sound quality and features do beat them.
Believe me I do love ANC as a feature, but after this few year journey, I really prefer SQ over ANC. I will keep the MTW3 for times when I want ANC, because I do like the feature, but right now, it's not my top priority after going through this process.

May 25, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #52,808 of 62,389
Believe me I do love ANC as a feature, but after this few year journey, I really prefer SQ over ANC. I will keep the MTW3 for times when I want ANC, because I do like the feature, but right now, it's not my top priority after going through this process.
Funny, I don’t have the mtw3 but my recollection is that the mtw2 sennheiser had some of the worst most useless ANC ever. Like zero effect. Nothing. Zilch. I even wondered if they were defective.

May 25, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #52,809 of 62,389
What are the best-sounding wireless earbuds currently? I have been using Souncores Liberty for a while but it is time to upgrade. I tried Samsung Pro 2 and they do not fit me well... Tried Apple Airpod Pro 2 and am not crazy about how they sound. I don't care about any features just how they sound in terms of music listening. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
This question has been posted a number of times on this thread, including by me. It seems something of a consensus, I think, that the Fokus Mystiques are top of the class for sq only. Unlike many on this forum I've only owned one other set of TWS earbuds, a cheap set just to see if I could deal with them, so my observations are based on a sample size of one. I have compared my Mystiques to a couple sets of full size cans and found them to be every bit as good, and sometimes better than these big things. They also compare quite favorably to some of my wired IEM's.

I don't need, want, or care about other TWS features. I get a great seal on mine so don't really see the need for active ANC, but perhaps I'm not in the noisiest environments, but the feature is there. For me, I want IEM's with great, great sq, really nothing else, and the Mysiques deliver for me.

May 25, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #52,811 of 62,389
This question has been posted a number of times on this thread, including by me. It seems something of a consensus, I think, that the Fokus Mystiques are top of the class for sq only. Unlike many on this forum I've only owned one other set of TWS earbuds, a cheap set just to see if I could deal with them, so my observations are based on a sample size of one. I have compared my Mystiques to a couple sets of full size cans and found them to be every bit as good, and sometimes better than these big things. They also compare quite favorably to some of my wired IEM's.

I don't need, want, or care about other TWS features. I get a great seal on mine so don't really see the need for active ANC, but perhaps I'm not in the noisiest environments, but the feature is there. For me, I want IEM's with great, great sq, really nothing else, and the Mysiques deliver for me.
Mystique is on sale for 287 https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/holiday-sale/products/noble-fokus-mystique

May 25, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #52,812 of 62,389
Same...I emailed them once
Have emailed 3 times with no response. So it's puzzling
I just tried calling a Panasonic number and they said I have to contact Technics directly. He said this happens a lot with Technics. Claimed to use the FAQ. I said, uh, yeah, but I want a phone number. The sorry rep said they don't have one. I said, I find that hard to believe, but I get it, they don't want customers to call and hound them. The guy then says, try this number again in a week if you don't hear back from Technics. My brain was like, huh? I chalked it up and said okay, clearly you can't help me, thanks anyway. Hung up.

I think I learned a lesson here. Ugh.

May 25, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #52,813 of 62,389

Those are expensive for taking a chance...

May 25, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #52,814 of 62,389
95% of the buying public think Apple, Bose, Sony and all the much smaller manufactures, have sound quality nailed.
Tell someone (non audiophile) their Apple pro 2's suck, and they'll think you're nuts.. Its the pickle we're all in, Billions are being made as is...

I tried fir Airpods Pro and did not like them. Now got the Pro 2 and also really don't get how people think they sound good... I am ok with SAMSUNG Galaxy Buds2 sound (not great but I can live with it) but I am not crazy about the fit...

If anyone can recommend what is worth checking out I would really appreciate the help.

May 25, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #52,815 of 62,389
95% of the buying public think Apple, Bose, Sony and all the much smaller manufactures, have sound quality nailed.
Tell someone (non audiophile) their Apple pro 2's suck, and they'll think you're nuts.. Its the pickle we're all in, Billions are being made as is...
I don’t think Air Pod 2s suck but I am often surprised at the praise they get for SQ. They sound thin and tinny to me. Fine for media absolutely not fine for music.
I just tried calling a Panasonic number and they said I have to contact Technics directly. He said this happens a lot with Technics. Claimed to use the FAQ. I said, uh, yeah, but I want a phone number. The sorry rep said they don't have one. I said, I find that hard to believe, but I get it, they don't want customers to call and hound them. The guy then says, try this number again in a week if you don't hear back from Technics. My brain was like, huh? I chalked it up and said okay, clearly you can't help me, thanks anyway. Hung up.

I think I learned a lesson here. Ugh.

Yeah, I don't think Technics has much of a presence in the US and probably does very little direct sales. Amazon is your friend. If the Technics unit arrives, just return. That said, honestly, I'm not sure you will find the AZ80 will move the needle for you unless you just need a shiny new toy (which, in such case, by all means).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back