Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 30, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #52,351 of 62,436
On my ROG 6 Pro, Aptx Lossless would drop to adaptive sometimes. With LDAC 990kbps from dev settings, it would constantly cut off sound. Now with the new ROG 7 which has the newer Bluetooth 5.3, Aptx Lossless stays at a smooth solid above 1000kbps. LDAC also benefits if the tws also has 5.3, but still gets cutoffs but not as bad on Bluetooth 5.2
I don't agree, It's very stable inside the same room or office with almost all recent devices I use every for hours every day or night and for years now => NW-WM1A, Ifi Go Blu, BTR7, UP4(2022), R3Pro Saber 2022 as BT receiver with my Z Fold 2, Z Fold 3, Z fold 4 or M17 .. all are perfectly stable and controlled at a fixed 990Kbps rate by Bluetooth Codec Changer App under Android... with instant comparison possible between limited AAC, APTX & LDAC.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #52,352 of 62,436
Hmm, OK new honeymoon phase with the MTW3. This new hearing test has flipped these on their ear or should I say my ear! 😉

After the test, guitars have more crunch and bite, vocals are on the verge of sibilant which is just where I like em, drum kits have nice authority on both low and high ends. It's like someone sharpened the pencil just before drawing the picture!

Really good for older rock music. Just listening Boston "Peace of Mind" a song that can be very bland on lots of gear a d it's sounding pretty fantastic with nice detail and vibrancy.

Just switched to some Jazz, Holly Cole "One Trick Pony" and darn these sound simply amazing. Patricia Barber is also sounding off the charts. Miles Davis "Concierto de Aranjuez: Adagio" also simply amazing. Finished of with Nelly McKay "Zombie" and while not quite as 3D is it can be also sounded crisp and detailed.

Finally thought I better see how it handles classical music and sound tracks. Played several songs from Hans Zimmer "Interstellar and they sound amazing especially any bass heavy parts. Switched to Arvo Pärt Symphony No. 3 and again it just sounded amazing.

I am tempted to do the test again but terrified I will lose what ever magic in the bottle I have attained!

I know I am in a honeymoon phase here so my comments need to be tempered. But I have had these for weeks with NO HONEYMOON so am just happy to be wowed by them. I hope this honeymoon lasts...
Thanks for the heads up. Just installed the new firmware and gone through the new personalisation system - as you say, it's a bit strange - and it's added a lot more 'presence' to my original personalisation.

My sound signature now has a little more bass, but as stated earlier, is a little airier and has a slightly thicker note weight. Rather enjoying this change. More musical and a little more detailed.

Apr 30, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #52,353 of 62,436
I just turned off the EQ to see how much of the change is just the FW update or my personalized EQ from the test. With no EQ it does sound bassier than the initial sound from memory. But the personalized EQ sharpens everything and definitely makes it more musical.

Apr 30, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #52,354 of 62,436
I don't agree, It's very stable inside the same room or office with almost all recent devices I use every for hours every day or night and for years now => NW-WM1A, Ifi Go Blu, BTR7, UP4(2022), R3Pro Saber 2022 as BT receiver with my Z Fold 2, Z Fold 3, Z fold 4 or M17 .. all are perfectly stable and controlled at a fixed 990Kbps rate by Bluetooth Codec Changer App under Android... with instant comparison possible between limited AAC, APTX & LDAC.
Please don't tell people about their experiences. They got what they got with the ROG 6 Pro and & 7 in their use scenario. That is it. Your situation is totally different so you can't deny them their experience. Unless you were there at the time using those exact devices and got no cut outs?

Apr 30, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #52,355 of 62,436
By this time next year, they'll drop to under $300.... it's HIFIMAN....
I've seen it so many times, they over price to discount later, brilliant. Creates the feeling of an awesome deal.. 👍
Seems like the selling point here is the amp and DAC. Nice to see someone other than Noble getting into this space. $500 doesn’t seem terribly unreasonable but they will be a tough sell at that price for sure. Noble has hinted at using better components before without a lot of detail. I wonder to what extent HFM is going further here. I suspect they will be excellent.

Apr 30, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #52,356 of 62,436
Please don't tell people about their experiences. They got what they got with the ROG 6 Pro and & 7 in their use scenario. That is it. Your situation is totally different so you can't deny them their experience. Unless you were there at the time using those exact devices and got no cut outs?

I just pointed out, as usual, there must be a hardware or driver limitation or even failure in their case => as, for many years now, almost all devices from different brands (Samsung, Sony, iFi, FIIO, Hiby, Shanling, ...) , I personnaly bought and use, can without any exception, handle without any drops/cuts LDAC at 900/990Kbps for hours !!! ..

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #52,357 of 62,436
On my ROG 6 Pro, Aptx Lossless would drop to adaptive sometimes. With LDAC 990kbps from dev settings, it would constantly cut off sound. Now with the new ROG 7 which has the newer Bluetooth 5.3, Aptx Lossless stays at a smooth solid above 1000kbps. LDAC also benefits if the tws also has 5.3, but still gets cutoffs but not as bad on Bluetooth 5.2
Probably something wrong with the phone, my rog 5s pro experience no cut off with the xm4 and the xm5 in the room but some hiccups with the aptx adaptive.
Btw, how the sound and anc level of the aviot z1pnk vs the nuratrue? Also, you got the rog 7 hk version or global version?

Apr 30, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #52,358 of 62,436
I recently got the new ROG Phone 7. So I can experience LDAC and Aptx Lossless at their best. I have heard somewhere if you have snapdragon sound or the newer Snapdragon SoC, LDAC tends hit 990kbps more often automatically vs supposedly other phones just go up to 660kbps automatically. Don't know if that is true. Currently have 2 Aptx Lossless TWS (Nuratrue Pro & Vivo TWS 3 Pro and a few LDAC TWS ( Aviot te-z1pnk, Enco X2, Soundpeats S5 and Technics AZ60, etc). Aside from each differing from frequency, soundstage, tuning and everything in between. The Aptx Lossless TWS tend to bring out a bit more detail out when listening to Tidal music. Tidal with LDAC sound amazing but with Aptx Lossless, I tend to hear some details I would of else not heard through LDAC.
That's interesting! I love the idea of LDAC, but I've had some issues streaming sound from my NVIDIA Shield while watching movies. I have to leave the bitrate set to variable, or I experience serious "skipping" (for lack of a better word), even though the Shield is only 10 feet away with a wall in between.

Apr 30, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #52,359 of 62,436
That's interesting! I love the idea of LDAC, but I've had some issues streaming sound from my NVIDIA Shield while watching movies. I have to leave the bitrate set to variable, or I experience serious "skipping" (for lack of a better word), even though the Shield is only 10 feet away with a wall in between.
I think the shield support flac, aac and only have the bitrate at 24-bit/192 kHz so it is incompatible with the ldac codec.

Apr 30, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #52,361 of 62,436
Aptx HD is all or nothing from what read, it needs the highest rate or nothing. Adaptive will adjust based on conditions. So if the unit only supports HD it would be more susceptible to skipping and interference.

I hear Qualcom made LL and HD free, sure hope this means Samsung will start to adopt it on their phones. I am really enjoying the MTW3 and would love to see how it works with the higher codec.

Apr 30, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #52,363 of 62,436
Probably something wrong with the phone, my rog 5s pro experience no cut off with the xm4 and the xm5 in the room but some hiccups with the aptx adaptive.
Btw, how the sound and anc level of the aviot z1pnk vs the nuratrue? Also, you got the rog 7 hk version or global version?
I don't think it has anything to do with the phones. Usually listen in a relaxed or busy scenario. Either in my room laying down and relaxing to music or at loud environment at work with tons of machinery. In my room I have a ton of entertainment electronics. Maybe just due to signal interference.
I prefer the sound of the Nuratrue due to how the sound experience is dynamic with good bass and better clarity with Aptx lossless. The tuning is more flat. Plus personalized sound does give you sweet sound dedicated to your ears. With the Aviot the tuning has clean lows and mids and tuned more for treble but lacks bass and volume on, not loud enough for me. I would recommend the Nuratrue Pro

May 1, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #52,364 of 62,436
At the risk of embarrassing myself, I'll admit I know little to nothing about codecs. Reading these most recent posts might as well have been written in another language.

With that as a starter, here's my question. Until I got the Mystiques I used wired IEM's, streaming Tidal at their "Master" level from my iPhone into a Lotoo PAW 2. This setup gave me both MQA and, I think, the absolute highest bitrate possible in a portable system.

It seems now using just my iPhone and the Mystiques I'm limited to aac, or a quality level far below what I had with the wired setup. Okay, I can live with that. But, do I need the extra cost of Tidal to get "Master" level tracks? The basic Tidal package (HiFi) is $10 per month; to get Master you pay $20. Will a Master recording sound better than the lower tier HiFi if both get only aac sounds to my ears? Can I save myself the $10 per month and have the same level sounds in my Mystiques?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back