Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 7, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #52,051 of 62,436
I forgot how damn good Slip of the Tongue is. Steve Vai … my lord.
Happy to admit I own all of their albums!

Been listening to this stuff today. Six degrees of Whitesnake (Vandenberg and Reb Beach).

Might have to start a direct chat group for a bunch of us to share these links 🤘

Apr 8, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #52,054 of 62,436
If you like David Coverdale, ya gotta get Deep Purple Burn... 👍
Of course. Coverdale and Hughes rock. Black Country Communion. Bonamassa. Love all those guys!

Apr 8, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #52,057 of 62,436
Apr 8, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #52,059 of 62,436
You can also tap the back of your iphone to raise or lower the volume too.

2 taps = vol up
3 taps = vol down

It's a bit hit and miss but it does work.
I know all about the on screen slider to make finer volume adjustments, but it is a major pain, especially when one is moving in any way at all. Plus, for me, the main benefit of wireless is the ability to keep my phone deep in a pocket and control everything by tapping the individual buds.

Didn't know about tapping the back of my phone, I'll maybe try it, but, as above, keeping my phone deep in my pocket is why I like wireless. (Plus, depending on which protective case one is using this makes this even more hit and miss.)

Apr 8, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #52,060 of 62,436
I blame Sony...

If they just released the XM5 I would have bought it. But nooooooo they twiddled their thumbs!

So I started thinking I should buy the Fiio FH9 for $800CAD which was scaring me...

Then I was thinking I should get the Fiio FW5 but I know gravitate to TWS with all the features so was hesitant.

Then I was standing in London Drugs and they had a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 3 Graphite on sale for $260CAD and I decided to give them a try.

So far pretty happy even though my phone is limited to just APTx because Samsung are jerks. They feel loose because of their size but in reality they are not. I am enjoying not having my ears feel stuffed like when wearing the XM4.

So far they seem very well designed and after the update I am liking how they work. They are a bit more intuitive and full featured for controls than Sony.

Sonically they have brighter treble, slightly softer mids, and bass that is a bit heavier and not quite as textured as the XM4. I appreciate the added treble and the added bass heft is enjoyable.

Having Sony, Samsung, and now Sennheiser top TWS I have to be honest and say they all sound good but none sound spectacular. But there is no reason to believe the XM5 will be spectacular either. So in that regard, the search continues.

The Fiio FH9 coupled with the UTWS5 might have given me spectacular but with lots of compromise and from what I read the FW5 would have similar compromises. So still waiting for a full featured TWS that also wows me.

Apr 8, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #52,061 of 62,436
Actually with the money saved I might try the Opera 5 when it finally becomes available through Amazon. I have the Status Betwee Pro which I find OK but not wowing so unwilling to pay for the 3ANC price tag.

Is it worth trying the Capsule 3 or the HS model or just wait for the Opera to become available? I can get either for around $80CAD.

The only other hybrid I have not tried is the 1More Evo which I can get for $160CAD. I worry it will be like the 1More triple and Quad >
IEMs though which were good bang for buck but not wow factor IEMs. But am tempted to grab it. By doing that I will have tried pretty much all the big players that are locally available.

For those who have tried both 1More and Opera which is the better TWS?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #52,063 of 62,436
Reading and watching a few reviews, I think I will pass on the Evo as I suspect the bass won't be to my liking.

I am watching several videos by someone called Ron on Tech for the 3ANC and he suggests they are a lot better than the Between Pro and he likes them better than the new Adio Technica TWS, MTW3, and a couple others, so they might be worth considering when the inevitably go on sale. The Opera 5 also looks interesting as a value proposition.

Switching between the MTW3 and XM4 and I like them both but strictly from an audio perspective I prefer the XM4 a bit more. I like its mids as they convey more emotion and detail. While the XM4 lacks a bit of the treble sparkle to the MTW3 it's not enough to balance the mids difference for me. The MTW has more bass presence but lacks the level of detail and texture of the XM4 so is an equal trade off.

Having said that both sound darn good to my ears, not WOW but still really good.

I suspect if had a phone that could properly use all of the sound functionality of the MTW they might take the lead. But without added APTx Adaptive functionality they take a small step behind the XM4 for detail.

Apr 9, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #52,064 of 62,436
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back