Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 4, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #51,991 of 62,417
I have to withdraw my previous criticism of the ZE8000 being too dark and thick.....................the new type Q tips are just both a genius invention and a hassle for the unfamiliar. I finally get the chance to re-evaluate it with the CORRECT size Q tips (defaults on demoes in stores are usually M size......I got a perfect fit with the L size, but even with that one have to do some getting used to how to find the sweet spot of insertion angle) and the results are phenomenal and mind-blogging..........certainly besting every pair I have and have tried. Seriously considering getting a set.
They're really amazing, they've nailed both sound and anc!

Just some sad quirks/short comings, some which can be fixed in a firmware update.

Apr 4, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #51,992 of 62,417
Got some good deals coming out of Australia.

So.

Noble Fokus Pro for $369 AUD or Oppo Enco X2 for $190 AUD?

Apr 4, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #51,993 of 62,417
I caved in despite being so happy with my current setup right now with mostly using the Bose QCII's, and sometimes the Fokus Mystiques (but they honestly sound lackluster on my Pixel 7 Pro that i'm currently daily driving, despite the buds being at least on AptX).

I've also realized that I don't think Wavelet is properly working on my Pixel?
Not sure if that's something that was already known or if there's a way to fix it, but I noticed that the sound doesn't change at all after sitting and running the EQ bands up and down for awhile haha.

Anyway, I caved in and bought the Final ZE8000's despite feeling like I don't need any new earbuds now, will hopefully get them on thursday! :)

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #51,994 of 62,417
Also, the Bose QCII's are still my favorite earbuds that I've used... probably ever. Not for sound quality specifically, but just for how good the ANC is together with an energetic but still non-fatiguing sound that still delivers on decent clarity and good bass. Perfect pair for being out and about imo, and the music almost always sounds the way I expect it to, and it's somewhat flattering towards songs with poor recording quality as well. Mostly everything sounds OK to really good, even if you might not be blown away.

But I'm also going to say that it's probably one of the most buggy earbuds I've had. Seriously having major issues with the fact that almost every time I'm pulling them out of the case one earbud is not recognizing that I put it in my ear so I have to try several times. Sometimes I put both of the buds back, switch and try to pick the other earbud out first, and then it's the other earbud that it's not recognizing that I've put in my ears.
I've also had some weird bugs lately where it doesn't actually activate ANC properly, and sometimes I usually don't notice it at first, but then I'm like "how the **** am I hearing so much of my surroundings?" it's like a bug where the ambient mode isn't turned on, but the ANC isn't either.
Then recently I've gotten a few times where the sound quality just sounds... "off", like it's not right. Hard to pinpoint specifically, it just doesn't sound the way it should, a bit less bass, a bit tinny and hollow, and those times the app won't recognize that they're connected to the phone. Then when I tried listening later on it sounded the way it should, and that time the app instantly recognized them.

I think some of this might be due to the sensors they're using for adaptive ANC, adaptive sound, in-ear sensors etc, because they easily get gunked up with wax and skin (yeah it's gross, and I do try to make sure my ears are clean but as some of you know... wax happens regardless), and stop doing what they're supposed to do.
But i'm not sure really, I don't think you should need to clean your earbuds every other day unless a specific need occurs, just to keep them functioning.

Apr 4, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #51,995 of 62,417
Got some good deals coming out of Australia.

So.

Noble Fokus Pro for $369 AUD or Oppo Enco X2 for $190 AUD?
Depends what you are after. A wireless headset I would argue the oppo performs better but as a wireless iem than the noble should win hands down. Another compromise might be the fiio fw5. Sort of a compromise of the 2 or the huawei pro 2 is another options around the 200 mark.

Apr 4, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #51,997 of 62,417
Depends what you are after. A wireless headset I would argue the oppo performs better but as a wireless iem than the noble should win hands down. Another compromise might be the fiio fw5. Sort of a compromise of the 2 or the huawei pro 2 is another options around the 200 mark.
Got the FW5 already, if note weight was a bit heavier and thicker I'd stop looking.

Is the Fokus worth the upgrade or wait for something new and shiny?

Apr 4, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #51,998 of 62,417
Got the FW5 already, if note weight was a bit heavier and thicker I'd stop looking.

Is the Fokus worth the upgrade or wait for something new and shiny?
It is hard to say. I think the new bluetooth audio stuff is going to change things a lot but who knows. Maybe that is a few years away still. I have a bunch of tws but I end up using my samsung pro 2 pretty much all thr time. They give me the best all round experience. If the fokus has better mics, I would swap in a second, but they just don't.

I think the tws space is pretty hot and we will only see more and more exciting products in the space over the next 12 months.

Apr 4, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #51,999 of 62,417
Does Nuratrue Pro support aptx HD? It's mentioned in FAQ on their website, but on the product pages of various shop websites they mention only lossless, adaptive and classic (whatever that means).

Apr 4, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #52,001 of 62,417
IMG_20230404_055344.jpg
Moondrop's upcoming neckband.
Possibly first brand-name Bluetooth 5.3 adapter before Fiio?

Apr 4, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #52,005 of 62,417

Users who are viewing this thread

Back