Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 26, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #50,506 of 62,102
Bower & Wilkins PI7 S2 arrived. At first listen, they're definitely louder than the last gen to my ears. Same feature set. No volume control on the buds which is lame - Unless I missed it. ANC is great (I did like the ANC on the last version). Passthrough sounds fine, but you have to go into the app to turn it on. Lame. They need to fix that. I'd rather cycle ANC and Transparency, not ANC on and off. Blah. No EQ in the app like the PX8. But they do sound damn good. Not sure if they've tweaked sound. I've never seen a firmware update for the PI7, so not holding my breath for any on the S2. I love the color of them. They fit perfect. Case and buds are the same fit and form as the first gen. You're buying these for the fixed antenna, boost in volume... can't really say much else yet. I'll keep them since I did get that 30% off coupon. Campfire Orbit are going back until they fix the bugs. Bummer.

Attachments

• 153C3EF8-E7CC-4F11-B2DE-EAA818F13F04.jpeg
    153C3EF8-E7CC-4F11-B2DE-EAA818F13F04.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 26, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #50,507 of 62,102
Only real issue with the NTP is the same one I have with new cars. You get all the bells and whistles and buttons that beep and flash at you, but sometimes you just want to drive a car without it changing lane for you.

The NTP went all out but some features aren't all that. The ear detection works well, but sometimes I want my music to play when I take a bud out. No problem, press play, but the buds keep detecting out of ear and stopping the music.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #50,508 of 62,102
So I received my replacement and now, one sides taps work perfect, the other you literally have to push the bud through to the other side of your head to get them to register. Bumming me out. Love them, but strike two!
I guess campfire has got to fix the issues via firmware update before it becomes usable.

Jan 26, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #50,509 of 62,102
Only real issue with the NTP is the same one I have with new cars. You get all the bells and whistles and buttons that beep and flash at you, but sometimes you just want to drive a car without it changing lane for you.

The NTP went all out but some features aren't all that. The ear detection works well, but sometimes I want my music to play when I take a bud out. No problem, press play, but the buds keep detecting out of ear and stopping the music.
Odd, I turned auto-pause off and have no issues.

Jan 26, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #50,510 of 62,102
Trust me, I get it. I always sell off some, but at this point, they're all so friggin good. I have both the NTP and the NFM and they're excellent. The B&W PI7 S2 is out for delivery. Campfire Orbit is probably going back because of the touch panel issues. They sound so good. The Fokus Pro are going for about $275 resale value for pre-owned on eBay, without free shipping. Just going to toss that out there :L3000:

Edit: For those curious, as least for me, I still have the same bt interference/drop (very rare) and random one bud not turning on when taken out of the case issues with the Mystique. Not sure if the latest firmware fixes that.
For start up, I let the lights do a little dance before I take them out of the case. Connects every time that way for me.
As for drops, I don’t know if I get a full but drop but very rarely one side might skip a beat or 3. In fact, I’d say walking around manhattan, I get fewer drops with the NFM. Same Bluetooth 5.2…wonder if they moved the antenna

Edit: if not for ambient sound, I wouldn’t have upgraded (I don’t think)

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #50,511 of 62,102
For start up, I let the lights do a little dance before I take them out of the case. Connects every time that way for me.
As for drops, I don’t know if I get a full but drop but very rarely one side might skip a beat or 3. In fact, I’d say walking around manhattan, I get fewer drops with the NFM. Same Bluetooth 5.2…wonder if they moved the antenna
That's good to hear. Yes, I do the shake. Also, if they don't power on, you can hold the touch panel and it'll boot up. You're right, it's more a skip/beat.

Jan 26, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #50,512 of 62,102
Bower & Wilkins PI7 S2 arrived. At first listen, they're definitely louder than the last gen to my ears. Same feature set. No volume control on the buds which is lame - Unless I missed it. ANC is great (I did like the ANC on the last version). Passthrough sounds fine, but you have to go into the app to turn it on. Lame. They need to fix that. I'd rather cycle ANC and Transparency, not ANC on and off. Blah. No EQ in the app like the PX8. But they do sound damn good. Not sure if they've tweaked sound. I've never seen a firmware update for the PI7, so not holding my breath for any on the S2. I love the color of them. They fit perfect. Case and buds are the same fit and form as the first gen. You're buying these for the fixed antenna, boost in volume... can't really say much else yet. I'll keep them since I did get that 30% off coupon. Campfire Orbit are going back until they fix the bugs. Bummer.

Just ridiculous with all shortcomings regarding the software customisation/controls... Especially given the price and how long B&W's been in the audio game.

Also Bluetooth 5.0 for an earbud released in 2023....Jesus christ.

Na give me the new Technics now please... :d

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #50,513 of 62,102
Just ridiculous with all shortcomings regarding the software customisation/controls... Especially given the price and how long B&W's been in the audio game.

Also Bluetooth 5.0 for an earbud released in 2023....Jesus christ.

Na give me the new Technics now please... :d
I hope they update them, but I'm not too heartbroken. See, I very much prefer the fit and tuning of the PI7 S2 over the last few Technics :metal: But hopefully I'm surprised by the new one. I don't care much about what bt version I have as I've learned if the bud is tuned horribly, won't really matter. I have the UE Drops and yes, it's 4.2 and sbc, but they did work some sort of evil magic inside. Mine are in the shop for a fit adjustment, but they are very underrated imo.

Jan 26, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #50,514 of 62,102
I hope they update them, but I'm not too heartbroken. See, I very much prefer the fit and tuning of the PI7 S2 over the last few Technics :metal: But hopefully I'm surprised by the new one. I don't care much about what bt version I have as I've learned if the bud is tuned horribly, won't really matter. I have the UE Drops and yes, it's 4.2 and sbc, but they did work some sort of evil magic inside. Mine are in the shop for a fit adjustment, but they are very underrated imo.

For me a TWS is as much about the technology as the sound, at least when it comes to my main earbuds...BT version in itself isn't that important, but since its 5.0 it uses a very old SoC which has less features/worse performance (5 hours of battery life with ANC...) . I'm sure they still sound good regardless, but in my eyes the tech/software is as important.

Appretnly it uses the same BT chip as the first version, for the price and release date there's no excuse to not have a newer chip.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #50,515 of 62,102
Jan 26, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #50,516 of 62,102

Attachments

• BFC9E270-6DA3-4CA2-92A5-341BF5B48AF0.jpeg
    BFC9E270-6DA3-4CA2-92A5-341BF5B48AF0.jpeg
    282.8 KB · Views: 0
Jan 26, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #50,517 of 62,102
didn't know soundpeats had an app. updating the firmware to the soundpeats air 3, which by the way sounds pretty good for a half in-ear (ala airpods) tws.

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #50,519 of 62,102

Users who are viewing this thread

Back