Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 12, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #50,131 of 62,443
Still Apples to Apples it states VBR 192k and the other earbuds states VBR 256k be it a waste or not it is what Apple users expect to connect at and in all the earbuds I have had that support AAC going back years now I have only now twice recently seen it that low and I would bet it is for the battery life claim as these models were not very good to begin with in late 2022.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #50,132 of 62,443
I'm with you on the subbass. I'm running them at +1. Plus the Bose are ruined for me now mentally knowing that they are capped at 196. Junk.
Please see my previous messages.

196 is a kinda average perhaps of a variable number since if I told my marketing people it was somewhere between 140 and 264kbps, dependent on the music input, they would go “What!!!” And make an average up. Hence why you see 256kbps AAC advertised which is actually almost the maximum it can be.

Don’t say they are junk because of it… as you are saying all TWS are junk.

Whatever, given the amount of DSP and other wizardry going on in the Bose, the relationship with the input codec type and absolute speed is irrelevant.

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #50,133 of 62,443
I understand CBR vs VBR but ALL AAC earbuds I have had so far are VBR 256k in that App (exception being high end at like FiiO Neckband at 300) and these are VBR 192k.

DO NOT make up thing I never said as I never said any TWS were junk above so less of the BS.

I do not care for AAC but IMO the Bose QCII I commented on are not good sounding and the poor fit/seal is no good for ANC and it has a white noise and lacking overall.

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #50,134 of 62,443
Please see my previous messages.

196 is a kinda average perhaps of a variable number since if I told my marketing people it was somewhere between 140 and 264kbps, dependent on the music input, they would go “What!!!” And make an average up. Hence why you see 256kbps AAC advertised which is actually almost the maximum it can be.

Don’t say they are junk because of it… as you are saying all TWS are junk.

Whatever, given the amount of DSP and other wizardry going on in the Bose, the relationship with the input codec type and absolute speed is irrelevant.
Yeah, I was just being sarcastic. I do appreciate your input though. My crappy ears couldn't tell the difference anyway.

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #50,136 of 62,443
I do not care for AAC but IMO the Bose QCII I commented on are not good sounding and the poor fit/seal is no good for ANC and it has a white noise and lacking overall.
No issues with seal or fit for me. It's interesting because at first I thought the Nuras would block more noise than the Bose because they seal off better but nope, the Bose, even with their semi open fit plus ANC absolutely destroy the Nura in terms of ANC performance and background noise.

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #50,137 of 62,443
Still Apples to Apples it states VBR 192k and the other earbuds states VBR 256k be it a waste or not it is what Apple users expect to connect at and in all the earbuds I have had that support AAC going back years now I have only now twice recently seen it that low and I would bet it is for the battery life claim as these models were not very good to begin with in late 2022.
It depends how you calculate VBR. This is something not agreed to and you can advertise whatever you want in A2DP. I can make a case for both: 192 is actually close to the average, 256 is close to the maximum. Whatever, VBR means that the encoder will vary and determine the speed, so you are unlikely to see 256 and much more likely to see around 200…

A2DP numbers won’t determine battery life.

My Bose last near 7hrs each side unlike my App2 even though they are both spec’ed the same at 6hrs. I’d guess there is something else going on here maybe because of the fit?

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #50,139 of 62,443
It depends how you calculate VBR. This is something not agreed to and you can advertise whatever you want in A2DP. I can make a case for both: 192 is actually close to the average, 256 is close to the maximum. Whatever, VBR means that the encoder will vary and determine the speed, so you are unlikely to see 256 and much more likely to see around 200…

A2DP numbers won’t determine battery life.

My Bose last near 7hrs each side unlike my App2 even though they are both spec’ed the same at 6hrs. I’d guess there is something else going on here maybe because of the fit?
I agree. My Bose are battery champs. Like I never need to charge them. My APP2 need charging constantly. I wonder if OP has a faulty set of Bose.

Jan 12, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #50,140 of 62,443
Jan 12, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #50,141 of 62,443
I could see how the spatial could make complex music a little congested/messy but I am digging it even for rock but I don't listen to that death metal either.
I have to say after testing its SQ, ANC, and everything I need, it is the best TWS I have tried by far. EX deliver similar SQ out of box but its $50 more. I doubt if the new ones coming in early 2023 can beat this one. It sounds even better than my $250 wired IEM.

Jan 12, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #50,142 of 62,443
Slightly off topic but my son want some over the ear Bluetooth headphones for GBP50 or so. To use in gym. Is there an equivalent thread for this as I’ve not been able to locate to much content searching for Bluetooth in the Headphones. Id imagine there are plenty in here who have some in their collection by the looks of it! Thank you in advance.
for gym use you need water resistant or even waterproof ideally, but over ear headphones barely are water resistant. There are old models from brands like audio technica produce over ear headphone with hooks, but it was 10 years ago and its not sweat proof either.

Jan 12, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #50,143 of 62,443
Bose and Sony are not good sounding IMO and many say the same (they have their own kind of sound) they are about ANC, if you like SQ go with others like MTW3 etc

Soundpeats did the same with their new Mini Pro HS (LDAC), the AAC bitrate is even less (156 AFAIR) < I would need pair them AGAIN and see for sure as I forget.
Bose sounds good until you listen to headphones from other brands. not joking coz my first headphone was Bose quiet comfort 3 ( the model in 2006) and I was like WOW when I turned on the noise cancelling. Had it for 3 years then I got a B&O over ear, hmmmm, not gonna buy Bose anymore.

Jan 12, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #50,144 of 62,443
PX8 in the house. GD these things are smoooothh!. I think I'm in love. Got them in the classifieds for $500. Feels worth that price.

Turning to the Nuras, I'm torn. They do sound good but if I'm being honest, I'm not sure they sound any better than the QCII to my ears. In fact, they sound quite similar and the Bose offer that monster ANC on top. I'd probably give the Nuras a very slight edge in SQ due largely to the spatial audio mode. Maybe that would increase with the dongle. More time needed.
If you ever need warranty service from B&W you will need the receipt or proof of purchase from an authorized seller. Just FYI because this one got by me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back