Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 3, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #49,141 of 62,736
That model is a stem model versus this one which is more like the Liberty 3 Pro in design although not as big.

I have never tried JBL and have to say I am impressed with the sound quality from this model enough that I will have to start to really look at their line up. This is just their middle tier so makes me wonder what their top models sound like
My daily is the JBL Live Pro 2. Very lively bass, but they EQ very well if that’s not your jam. ANC is awfully good and the ambient doesn’t sound metallic. The case really limits the tip rolling but I found some short stemmed Spinfits that are really doing the job for me. The battery life has been fantastic, it feels like I’m never having to charge them. DHRME says all this much better than I do. They are really becoming my go-to reviewers

Last thing - on Amazon, JBL has a lot of models on sale for some reason this weekend. The $149 Live Pro 2’s are going for $75, which is less than the $100 I paid. This is Bonkers Bang for Buck.

Dec 3, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #49,143 of 62,736
I quite like DHRME for reviews as well.

Dec 3, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #49,145 of 62,736
The ambient mode on the Tune130NC is actually very good in that I can turn it on and it essentially just makes them like an open back IEM letting in sound but not in a way that detracts playing music. I quite like it when I need to hear around me.

Dec 3, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #49,146 of 62,736
Dec 3, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #49,147 of 62,736
Wow just finished my call with Samsung Customer service with regard of firmware update for the Samsung galaxy Bud live using a the IOS made Samsung Buds app.

It doesn’t work at all…
We tried everything and in the end had to use the Samsung Wearable App on my wife’s Samsung phone to update it.

Seems it’s clear that they stopped supporting IOS app.

So my question is .. should I even consider keeping this earbuds? I like its fit and sound.

But lack of support, crappy galaxy buds app really turns me off.
What do you need firmware support for if you don't mind me asking? If fit and sound are good is firmware going to change anything?

Dec 3, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #49,148 of 62,736
Next month we’re supposed to be getting JBL’s latest which will have a “Smart Case”
https://www.androidpolice.com/jbl-wireless-earbuds-touchscreen-charging-case/
Was going to say this as well. After the Morph Infinniconnect smartcase debacle I've been wondering if a smartcase has any utility. But if there was a JBL I am going to try these would probs be it, if not just for a comparison. EQ on the case would be pretty cool + an inclusion of all of the other features people are jamming into TWS these days.

Dec 4, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #49,149 of 62,736
@Phaethon, not sure I would use that functionality but it is cool. The stem on those look smaller which might make me willing to try them but generally not a fan of stem designs. The specs for battery life etc is also very good.

They look expensive but may be worth that price. These Tune130NC are normally $130 vs the $75 I paid in Canada. So a bit of a BF steal.

I have been going back and forth between them and my Galaxy Buds 2 Pro and sonically they are neck and neck. The GB2P is a bit more intimate with slightly more forward mids and treble. The 130NC definitely can hit deeper for bass but can be scaled back if needed. I actually like the less intimate sound for a lot of my music, not quite so close to the stage but not to far back either. Certainly a nice change up in sound!

The ANC is only about 60-70% as good as the GB2P though, so just OK. To give some perspective I used both pairs driving today and the GB2P pretty much eliminate the car engine and cabin sounds even with no music playing and for sure with music. The Tune130NC on the other hand I could still hears engine and cabin sounds while listening to music. The first was a bubble of silence the other a muffled reduction at best.

These offer a significant alternative sound that I quite like compared to the GB2P while still having areas of similarity. I can see how the parent company of the 2 brands let some cross pollination of their sonic skills take place. That added bass is definitely fun and good for some genres.

At full retail these have some competition but on sale they are a no brainer for specially if like some bass.

I think their best comparative I own price wise is the Soundcore A40 which has similar battery life in the TWS itself and slightly more battery in the case. It also has more features such all functions available on the TWS versus the trade offs you have to do with the Tune130NC. I think it also has better ANC. The big difference is sound signature, the A40 has less bass extension and is a bit more muted in the treble and a bit less dynamic sounding. It is more balanced out if the box but also can not be ramped up to the Tune140NC levels for bass and treble. The 130NC on the other hand seems like it can be scaled back very well with it's EQ. So if sound quality is the highest priority I would give the nod to the 130NC but if ANC, smaller more stable fit, and all controls are more important I would go A40.

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #49,151 of 62,736
Dec 4, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #49,153 of 62,736
OK, I. All the time in this thread I rarely see JBL products discussed and don't remember seeing the Tune130NC. Did I just miss it?

Anyway at the risk of having my wife having me committed I picked up a pair these up since they were only $75 and holy crap, they do not sound like a $75 TWS or IEM for that matter!

They have huge bass out of the box but the EQ can tame it very well if desired. I am enjoying the hell out how natural they sound and how expansive and holographic the sound stage is. Piano's, Cello's, and guitars sound just amazing. I am also really happy how they produce drum kit sounds.

Jazz from artist like Patricia Barber sound sublime as does sound tracks from Hans Zimmer. Classic rock like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd sound good as well. The song Zombie by Nellie Mckay which has alot of 3D vocals and instruments that wow when they are properly represented are handled very well by this TWS. Anything that can go really deep is sub wooferish that can be felt and yet mids and highs can be present without being overwhelmed.

If a person's main requirement is sound quality these are amazing for $75 and the EQ actually seems very responsive and effective and highly customizable.

The ANC and Ambient are not super effective but quite serviceable.

Battery life is rated at 10 hours with 30 hours in the case which seem very reasonable.

The control scheme for the touch controls is their only real Achilles heel being very much like the Samsung Galaxy buds minus the experimental features. In other words I can have volume and music controls or I can switch one of those for ambient controls but I can't have all of them at once.
They’re $50 on the JBL website now!! Sounds like a steal. thanks for the heads up!

Dec 4, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #49,154 of 62,736
Just received the Soundcore Space 40 yesterday. Out of the box impressions are promising, even though the design is a tad uninspiring.
- Similar overall bright tuning to Liberty 3 Pro but has less bass impact and treble extension. LDAC doesn't sound as drastically different from AAC as it does on the L3P where the treble spikes considerably.
- not having triple tap is a disappointment and unless they add it later, it feels like a market differentiation feature/cripple hammer to the Liberty 3 Pro. I have to sacrifice volume control just to keep transparency/ANC and smart assistant controls. I also feel the "2 second" hold is too long, more like 3 seconds!
- ANC not as good as Linkbuds S or Liberty 3 Pro, the latter being in between. Similar to L3P the mid-low frequencies are attenuated nicely, but high frequencies really struggle, especially for more diffused sounds. For example I was on the bus today and it essentially sounded like there was wind noise puffing through.

On the other hand I noticed on the Sony Linkbuds S it sounded like there was some kind of transparency mode going on during calls even if I had ANC turned on. It turned out this was due to a "sidetone" feature which unfortunately can't be disabled on the Linkbuds S and 1000XM4. Very disappointing as I was on a loud commute today and had a very hard time hearing my call.
The A40 is my favorite right now. So far I have 3 pair! Great battery life (I get ~8 hrs per charge), good ANC and good sound quality.

Dec 4, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #49,155 of 62,736

Users who are viewing this thread

Back