Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 25, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #48,452 of 62,387
Welp one of my Devialet Gemini fumbled out of my pockets and fell into the elevator shaft. Time for a new TWS I guess. I haven't been here in a while, but after some searching, is the ATH-TWX9 the way to go? I thought about getting the Samsung Buds2 Pro, since I have the S21, but it seems like the TWX9 is a great step up. Anyone tried them while working out and running? The issues I had with the Geminis was because it was bulky and constantly falling out. And of course, the battery. I really didn't like the battery life on the Geminis, and they never pushed out any firmwares to correct the issue.

Oct 25, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #48,453 of 62,387
Welp one of my Devialet Gemini fumbled out of my pockets and fell into the elevator shaft. Time for a new TWS I guess. I haven't been here in a while, but after some searching, is the ATH-TWX9 the way to go? I thought about getting the Samsung Buds2 Pro, since I have the S21, but it seems like the TWX9 is a great step up. Anyone tried them while working out and running? The issues I had with the Geminis was because it was bulky and constantly falling out. And of course, the battery. I really didn't like the battery life on the Geminis, and they never pushed out any firmwares to correct the issue.
I do not recommend the TWX9 for running because wind is very noticeable, much more so than the Gemini which is actually quite good with wind.

Oct 25, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #48,456 of 62,387
So, the Airpods Pro 2 came in today. Have been listening for several hours so far.

Like the tuning quite a bit. Best Airpods buds so far imo. ANC is very good, too. Transparency mode brilliant as always. Spatial audio is amazing for movies and podcasts but that's nothing new (have been using the Airpods Max for 1 1/2 years now). They seem to be quite the package this time around. Fit and comfort are both great, the case is very compact and pocketable and solidly built.

They're maybe not the best sounding TWS and they don't have the best battery life (like my Beyers better for both categories) but once you start to consider everything they bring to the table, they're tough to beat.

As already stated in the APP2 thread, a couple of years ago, I wouldn't have recommended Airpods to anyone asking me for great sounding In-Ears or TWS. They have always been nice buds but more so for their convenience and software wizardry instead of being great sounding. Apple has come a long way with these. They are almost a no brainer for Apple users right now. There are better sounding TWS out there still but the gap has narrowed significantly and as a whole package the Airpods Pro 2 seem fantastic.

"Cons" are the relatively average battery life of 6 hours and that still existing Lightning port. Other than that, they're a compelling piece of audio tech.

Oct 26, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #48,457 of 62,387
So, the Airpods Pro 2 came in today. Have been listening for several hours so far.

Like the tuning quite a bit. Best Airpods buds so far imo. ANC is very good, too. Transparency mode brilliant as always. Spatial audio is amazing for movies and podcasts but that's nothing new (have been using the Airpods Max for 1 1/2 years now). They seem to be quite the package this time around. Fit and comfort are both great, the case is very compact and pocketable and solidly built.

They're maybe not the best sounding TWS and they don't have the best battery life (like my Beyers better for both categories) but once you start to consider everything they bring to the table, they're tough to beat.

As already stated in the APP2 thread, a couple of years ago, I wouldn't have recommended Airpods to anyone asking me for great sounding In-Ears or TWS. They have always been nice buds but more so for their convenience and software wizardry instead of being great sounding. Apple has come a long way with these. They are almost a no brainer for Apple users right now. There are better sounding TWS out there still but the gap has narrowed significantly and as a whole package the Airpods Pro 2 seem fantastic.

"Cons" are the relatively average battery life of 6 hours and that still existing Lightning port. Other than that, they're a compelling piece of audio tech.
Try this: (on your iPhone) for even better/crisper sound:
  1. Go to Settings > Accessibility.
  2. Scroll down and tap Audio/Visual.
  3. Tap Headphone Accommodations and enable the toggle at the top of the screen.
  4. Now, you can choose between three preset options that optimize the sound for Balanced Tone, Vocal Range, or Brightness.
    (or try "Custom Audio Setup")
I find Balanced Tone with "Moderate" setting to be the best.

Oct 26, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #48,459 of 62,387

Cons are very average sq for stereo music. How do people find the fit? For me, they are pretty fussy once you start moving and even a little sweat and forget it. think the Beats Pro is a better product all around. I hope they upgrade those.

Oct 26, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #48,461 of 62,387
Bose QC Buds II have a gem of an option in the app - I can freely select which 2 devices are to be connected, no more re-pairing when I change my mind with what should it connect. Quick toggle change and voila! They also seem to handle wind noise very well - in the same conditions in which MTW3s made audible noise, the BQCBII (sic) were almost silent. I did not expect that given their more protruding shape.

Oct 26, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #48,462 of 62,387
Cons are very average sq for stereo music. How do people find the fit? For me, they are pretty fussy once you start moving and even a little sweat and forget it. think the Beats Pro is a better product all around. I hope they upgrade those.
Wouldn't agree with both, honestly (although fit is always a very individual thing of course). They fit snug and secure here, very much like the Nothing Ear1 which I still love to this day for their fit. Also, they are good for stereo music as well. Not the best overall, but the best Airpods yet and good enough for most people, I would assume.

DMS has kind of praised them on Youtube (not that it means much but he's still audiophile enough at least to have an opinion :D) and the measurements over at Soundguys look pretty good, too. Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• Bildschirm­foto 2022-10-26 um 16.18.48.png
    Bildschirm­foto 2022-10-26 um 16.18.48.png
    681.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 26, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #48,463 of 62,387
Food for thought...
On a properly implemented AAC, apx HD or LDAC in hardware/software, you're not going to hear a big SQ difference. There will be some, but I have Bluetooth headphones of all three types, and there's nothing to get worked up about there.
None bury, destroy, smash, obliterate, blow away or kill the others.

Oct 26, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #48,464 of 62,387
Food for thought...
On a properly implemented AAC, apx HD or LDAC in hardware/software, you're not going to hear a big SQ difference. There will be some, but I have Bluetooth headphones of all three types, and there's nothing to get worked up about there.
None bury, destroy, smash, obliterate, blow away or kill the others.
Totally agree and improperly implemented ones can actually sound worse. (Looking at you LDAC when you need to be tweaked in dev options to work correctly...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back