Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 1, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #40,801 of 62,437
Those FH9 look so tempting! But I am too spoiled by the TWS convenience. I had FH7 and they were superb sounding, but then the MTW2 sounded nearly as good with all the TWS convenience, I think I am not going back in that rabbit hole.

I did side by side comparisons between FH7 and MTW2 for days and yes FH7 sounded slightly better(especially the sub-bass quality while retaining vocals) but not enough to give up the ANC/EQ/Compact size/Smart features convenience of the TWS.

Jan 1, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #40,802 of 62,437
Those FH9 look so tempting! But I am too spoiled by the TWS convenience. I had FH7 and they were superb sounding, but then the MTW2 sounded nearly as good with all the TWS convenience, I think I am not going back in that rabbit hole.

I did side by side comparisons between FH7 and MTW2 for days and yes FH7 sounded slightly better(especially the sub-bass quality while retaining vocals) but not enough to give up the ANC/EQ/Compact size/Smart features convenience of the TWS.
Oh, the FH9 on the Fiio UTWS5 sound exceptionally better than the MTW2 IMO. I do think the sub bass on the Variations is better. But still have to listen more. The adapters power the FH9s very well and they get nice and loud. After a while, I wasn't a huge fan of the MTW2s because they didn't have a great EQ setup for me and they just never felt loud enough on an iPhone. Could be I'm going deaf from all the heavy metal. I can accept that! I did love the high end tuning that Sennheiser added later on and I thought the ANC was decent in my world. After a while the fit bothered me. That said, I'm really curious what the next gen brings. Still testing the FH9 out, but so far, they're great. Haven't had a lot of time today to play after everyone woke up and the insanity began.

Jan 1, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #40,803 of 62,437
Oh, I didn't try that. Will do that now. Actually, either way, the TW2 didn't power the Variations as well, so I'll just chalk up the adapters for now.
@Phaethon I stand corrected. They do sound fine with the TW2 although you do need to pump the volume up louder. Not sure if the MMCX-2 Pin adapter was just not seated correctly, but they seem to be working better now. I hate this hobby :wink:

Jan 1, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #40,804 of 62,437
I outdoor mic tested 28 sets of earbuds yesterday :D such a mission!

I'll upload the video as soon as I can, managed to get most of the editing done just need to get permission from my mate to use one of his productions as the backing track to the intro. Long and short of it is:

- Elevoc Clear blitzed the competition.

- 6-mic buds tended to fare well. Edifier NeoBuds Pro, Huawei FreeBuds Pro and Tronsmart Apollo Air in particular.

- Taotronics SoundLiberty 80 were the pick of the budget buds (it's just a shame about everything else on them) shortly followed by the Soundpeats Air3.

- The older buds, such as Jabra Elite 75t are showing their age. Noise reduction on the 75t was worse than the £20 QCY T17. Galaxy Buds Live are nice and clear but your voice lacks a bit of naturalness.

- Newer buds in general seem to have upped their game, even the low cost ones, especially QCY.

- FIIL, and most of the Airoha-based chip models, did not perform well at all. Lots of heavy compression.

Here we go, HNY guys!

Jan 1, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #40,806 of 62,437
FIVE TIMES! Five times I have purchased them and returned them. I love them, but after about three days of working just fine they stop connecting automatically to my iPhone 12 Pro, and I just can’t live with that frustration. You’d think I’d learn after twice purchasing, but nooo (and even now when I see comments like this my trigger finger starts itching…)
Oof. Thats rough. The connection definitely is hit or miss vs APP almost always working. I have been wary of glitches so keeping the box on hand for a return.
Same here. I had them for almost a month. At first I liked them enough but then all the glitches started to surface which was very frustrating. It also didn't help that their sound signature was too bassy for my taste. I was able to eq them to some degree but it just wasn't enough.
The final straw was the random volume up/down right after inserting them into my ears. I could somewhat live when the volume down, but one time the volume up was piercing my ears and that was it.
I was also never satisfied with their quality nor the sound. If I wanted to be critical sound wise I would say the mids were muddy compared to my other TWS and it was apparent when listening to some light rock where the mids are getting busy and congested and it was noticeable that the vocals aren't clear.
All in all without the bugs it would have been a solid product but the execution was pretty bad.
It definitely is warm even after I crank the bass down. The touch controls are a mess. I had a similar issue with the volume so disabled them in the app. What other TWS were you comparing them with?

Jan 1, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #40,807 of 62,437
Looks like the FX100T and FW1000T are using different drivers and tips. The FW1000T looks to have a new spiral dot pros with turbulent flang bits at the rim of the tips no idea how it sound but it looks like not your fathers spiral dot tips. It's using the wood dome carbon driver from the higher end woodies too. That k2 codes sounds interesting if it works as intended.
Screenshot_20220102-110057_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #40,808 of 62,437
So it is using the same driver topology of the FW10000 and FW1800 I had to check to be sure the big boy FW10000 uses the biggest size with the 1000T using the smallest

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #40,809 of 62,437
Oof. Thats rough. The connection definitely is hit or miss vs APP almost always working. I have been wary of glitches so keeping the box on hand for a return.

It definitely is warm even after I crank the bass down. The touch controls are a mess. I had a similar issue with the volume so disabled them in the app. What other TWS were you comparing them with?
Back then I had the Fill T1XS, Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro+ and the Sennheiser CX 400BT to compare them to.

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #40,810 of 62,437
Back then I had the Fill T1XS, Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro+ and the Sennheiser CX 400BT to compare them to.
The liberty 2 pro and the t1xs were also on my short list based on comments in this thread. Ultimately ended up with the Cambridge audio as the amps and design appealed to me more. Between the soundcore and fiil, which did you prefer?

Jan 2, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #40,811 of 62,437
Oh, the FH9 on the Fiio UTWS5 sound exceptionally better than the MTW2 IMO. I do think the sub bass on the Variations is better. But still have to listen more. The adapters power the FH9s very well and they get nice and loud. After a while, I wasn't a huge fan of the MTW2s because they didn't have a great EQ setup for me and they just never felt loud enough on an iPhone. Could be I'm going deaf from all the heavy metal. I can accept that! I did love the high end tuning that Sennheiser added later on and I thought the ANC was decent in my world. After a while the fit bothered me. That said, I'm really curious what the next gen brings. Still testing the FH9 out, but so far, they're great. Haven't had a lot of time today to play after everyone woke up and the insanity began.
How does the FH9 compare to the Fokus? Got a pair of the Nobles on the way but very tempted by the Fiios too.

Jan 2, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #40,812 of 62,437
How does the FH9 compare to the Fokus? Got a pair of the Nobles on the way but very tempted by the Fiios too.
Hard to compare. IEMs are usually much much better, but the Noble Fokus really do hold their own. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I was!

Jan 2, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #40,814 of 62,437
The liberty 2 pro and the t1xs were also on my short list based on comments in this thread. Ultimately ended up with the Cambridge audio as the amps and design appealed to me more. Between the soundcore and fiil, which did you prefer?
I had the Liberty 2 Pro Plus which is the upgraded version. I didn’t like the shape of it as it was too bulky and caused some wind noise. Sound wise they are capable and have a bunch of settings to make them sound good with eq and SoundID but there was something off with their mids as they sounded great in some songs and recessed in others.
The Fiil T1XS sound good, they are tiny and isolate very well. I like their sound much better as the mids are much more natural. Also their ambient mode is much better and when they go on sale on Amazon they are $30 or even less. No brainer.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #40,815 of 62,437
Indeed. I’m hoping the Fokus may be able to scratch that itch, but I haven’t found a TWS yet that’s kept me from going back to IEMs. Now I’m sorely tempted by the FH9/UTWS5 combo…
I'm rockin' them right now. They do sound great, the FH9, but I just can't seem to find a tip that works with them well. They're built like tanks, super solid. Messing with the filters and trying to decide which I prefer. Some say the treble one is best but to me it's bit to much. Also, I may actually like my Variations more but they're too different to really compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back