Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 30, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #39,751 of 62,427
You would be using wired for that as TWS are still not quite there and LDAC is not the holy grail some even say aptX-HD is as good/better sounding.

I gave up with the artificial sounding settings on my SoundBlaster ZxR (The older Live 5.1 Series card were better sounding IMO) and just play Direct Stereo for my music now this gives me up to 24/192 so has me covered for Amazon Music HD via my speakers and wired ear/headphones.

I do use the various settings for 5.1 gaming though.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #39,752 of 62,427
In theory, yes but even with high quality files or streaming and a good device it's highly dependent on the TWS set, its capabilities and tuning.
Not to mention, a lot of these older recordings (that I listen to) were mastered poorly. They need a bit of an EQ bump.

Nov 30, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #39,753 of 62,427
Man I have albums I downloaded that are 128-192k, remember connections were slower and HDD's were smaller back early 2000's and I was lucky as I had 512k Cable since 2001 not 56k Dial Up and a 60GB HDD where as even 20-30GB was just becoming common on new mid range machines.

I have tried to slowly replace them and rip my own 100's of CD's but its time consuming, I settled for mp3 320k as it sounds good enough for PC use and file size is decent.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #39,754 of 62,427
Man this is a tough question as you will hear very few if any tws with this sound sig. You almost have to look for a more balanced set to start with and eq to your liking. I would suggest the Moondrop Sparks for roughly $75-85. Or even go with a budget set which leans toward the bright side like the Edifier Tws1 Pro. I think prob your best option is a wireless adapter like the Fiio Utws3/utws5 or the trn adapters and get a iem with the signature that you enjoy. You may have to slightly eq any coloration that the adapters have but this may be an alternative to fully True Wireless.

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll check them out.
I thought about the FiiO route before, but it seems like Etymotic have weirdly angled MMCX connectors, which are not compatible... At the same time, you're giving up a lot of the comfort of TWS earbuds with FiiO.

It looks like TWS is currently all about compromises between laziness/comfort and sound quality and I'll have to learn to accept it.

Nov 30, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #39,755 of 62,427
Thank you for the suggestions, I'll check them out.
I thought about the FiiO route before, but it seems like Etymotic have weirdly angled MMCX connectors, which are not compatible... At the same time, you're giving up a lot of the comfort of TWS earbuds with FiiO.

It looks like TWS is currently all about compromises between laziness/comfort and sound quality and I'll have to learn to accept it.
I usually enjoy balanced sound but not clinical when it makes it dry and boring.
Nowadays I use mostly the 1More Comfobuds Pro, the Sennheiser CX 400 BT and the Fiil T1XS. They are different but all sound really good and far from having a bloated bass.
If you have any specific questions re the TWS mentioned I’m happy to answer.

Nov 30, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #39,756 of 62,427
I have FiiO FH3's on a FiiO LC-BT2 and FH7's (wired) both with my own XL SpinFits (none of the included tips fit me) and although cold when fitted at first they are really comfy, not sure how they would feel on the FiiO earloop models.

Nov 30, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #39,757 of 62,427
Thank you, I'll check them out, the price is less than I expected.

In the meantime, I think I found use for these RZ-S500W. They respond much better to slow, more heavy music, with constant bass guitar background (like Opeth - Damnation), than to more lively acoustic and bowed string instruments.
I am one of the owners of the AZ70 and they definitely are more balanced than most TWS products, the other option is Samsung Buds Pro which has a very AKG like signature. Both will still have more bass than an Etymotic IEM. The AZ70 has the least amount of mid-bass out of the 2 while actually have nice sub-bass which works well, at least to my ears.

Outside of these 2 TWS I am unsure of another TWS that will give you anything like the Etymotic sound. The other option as has been mentioned would be to get a MMCX IEM and use a set of BT adapters with them to give you a similar albeit slightly more bulky solution.

Note any TWS solution or independent left right adapter will never achieve the level of detail your used to. The technology is still very much a trade off between convenience and sound quality.

Nov 30, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #39,758 of 62,427
I am one of the owners of the AZ70 and they definitely are more balanced than most TWS products, the other option is Samsung Buds Pro which has a very AKG like signature. Both will still have more bass than an Etymotic IEM. The AZ70 has the least amount of mid-bass out of the 2 while actually have nice sub-bass which works well, at least to my ears.

Outside of these 2 TWS I am unsure of another TWS that will give you anything like the Etymotic sound. The other option as has been mentioned would be to get a MMCX IEM and use a set of BT adapters with them to give you a similar albeit slightly more bulky solution.

Note any TWS solution or independent left right adapter will never achieve the level of detail your used to. The technology is still very much a trade off between convenience and sound quality.
I’m not an owner of a set, but you mention AKG signature, and from what I’ve read the AKG N400NC being discussed earlier (and still on sale for $70) have that signature and follow the Harman curve fairly closely. Just a thought.

https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Earbuds/N400NCTWS-.html?dwvar_N400NCTWS-_color=Black-GLOBAL-Current

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #39,759 of 62,427
Nov 30, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #39,760 of 62,427
I’m not an owner of a set, but you mention AKG signature, and from what I’ve read the AKG N400NC being discussed earlier (and still on sale for $70) have that signature and follow the Harman curve fairly closely. Just a thought.

https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Earbuds/N400NCTWS-.html?dwvar_N400NCTWS-_color=Black-GLOBAL-Current
I just repurchased these because of the sale. I have to admit, they are killer buds for the price. Beautiful build quality, not spectacular, but okay ANC, transparency, wireless charging and the sound signature is excellent IMO. Full swipe and tap controls too. For $69, well worth it.

Nov 30, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #39,761 of 62,427
Well my AZ60 is stuck in Canada Post hell, coming from BC where all hell has broken loose. Tracking went from Thursday, to Friday, now to Monday... DOH!

Must ignore desire to run out and buy the Jabra Elite 3 on sale at Visions for $79 minus $35 gift card... LOL.

Nov 30, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #39,763 of 62,427
Did we hear anything about the Marshall ANC model??
https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Mot...311866&sprefix=true+w,electronics,181&sr=8-53
612nNaM5FdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Nov 30, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #39,764 of 62,427
Nov 30, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #39,765 of 62,427
Ok decided to bite the bullet and throw my hat in the ring again (and any other lame expression you can add here).

After late 2019 and early 2020 having tested the following:

Jabra Elite active 75t and 85t
Galaxy buds plus and pro
Sony XM3
Technics AZ70
Sennheiser MTW2
Fiil t1 pro
JBL club pro plus
CA MT

I finally settled on of all things Huawei freebuds pro. They had great mix of good comfort and fit, great controls ambient and ANC.
Good size case and the sound was not best in class, but with some EQ to help the high end it was good enough.

Now a year later and a bunch of new releases as well as some toe dipping into some item like Moondrop Aria, decided to see what the new stuff was about in my neverending attempt to find the Lord of the Buds. 1 bud to rule them all!

Decided that I wanted better sound quality than what I had before but without losing out on features.
Also don't like to break the bank knowing in a year or so I will likely repeat the cycle.

Black Friday is a fun time to do this. I was in the USA for a week and Amazon had some intriguing sales.
Was this close to pulling trigger on NeoBuds pro at 100$ but by the time I decided the shipping date would be past my return date home.

Sony intrigued me but hate fact you can't control volume and track and ANC on buds at same time. Also the warmer darker sound described doesn't appeal to be as my Huawei are already on the warmer darker side needing EQ. Also in Canada the are on sale for 350$ or about 280$ which seems like a lot.
Also head that the fit isn't just secure or comfortable and I plan to work out with the buds.

Read all the buzz about the liberty pro 3. Have the 1st model.
Didn't like people talking about too v shaped and very thin mid and highs. So so ANC and ambient. Also seem expensive though they check all the boxes. Also battery life apparently seems way over stated.

Well that left the new Technics AZ60. Went online to read reviews and go on YouTube. Not alot of there in English but what there is was very good.
The main criticism was lack of QI charging and wearing sensors. Neither are that important to me.

Will I watched a bunch of Chinese YouTube videos with translated subtitles. Hysterical to see what comes up, but in several they ranked the AZ60 as either the top or a close second to the Sony. They all loved the sound and the comfort and the ANC ambient was very good.

So went to look on Amazon and here in Canada they are nearly $290 or about 230$usd.
Seemed a bit pricy

Then @dweaver mentioned seeing them in Canada online for 160$usd or 200$Canadian.
Turns out one of the stores is located where I live 15 minutes a way. Only negative is that with Covid here in Canada outside of Amazon and spoke noone is taking back opened earbuds.

So I went today when I saw the dark color was in stock and took the gamble.

If you haven't fallen asleep yet reading this, here are my very initial out of the box impressions which will soon be followed by a bunch of questions.

1. Case is small!
2. Buds look amazing!
3. Fit is so much better and more secure than the AZ70. Haven't even tried the other 6 included ear tips yet!
4. There is an initial noise cancellation setup that I did with bathroom fan on. Not sure if that can be redone in future. But do far it has surpassed the ANC of the Samsung and Sennheiser and seems up there with the Huawei and Jabra.

5. Initial sound impression is that they improved the missing low end of the AZ70. Sound stage and separation are very good. Treble detail is among the best.
Overall the sound signature is on the brighter and colder side. I imagine the Sony's are more at the warmer darker.
The equalizer built in works to adjust the be a bit up and drop the upper mids lower treble a tiny bit.

I imagine one they have been played a bit longer they will warm up a bit based on what I have read.

Overall the sound is really great and seems to work great with all genres.

So glad I gambled at the sale price!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back