Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 6, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #35,026 of 62,443
1_cfd6a8ac-1ed1-4626-8beb-cdaef3acab5d_1024x1024.jpgkz-z3-img-02.jpgSoundpeats_10.jpg

Which one do you guys recommend?
TRN T300
-2BA+1DD
-QCC3046
-BT5.2
-AAC/SBC/APTX
Not sure what aptx hd? Adaptive? is avalable for this tws. Firmware update?
http://www.trn-hifi.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=8&id=133

KZ Z3
- 1BA+1DD
-QCC3040
-BT5.2
-AptX Adaptive
https://kz-audio.com/kz-z3.html

Soundpeats H1
-1BA+1DD
-QCC3040
-BT5.2
-AAC/SBC/AptX Adaptive
https://www.soundpeatsaudio.com/en/h1.html
I would recommend to take the soundpeats
Trn have limited time use (4h)
Kz z3 have bass overpowered the overall sound so you need to eq the bass down.

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #35,027 of 62,443
Been a while since I was here. Been haunting the thread for a bit looking for people's impressions about the XM4's. I purchased a pair last week and compared them to the 85t's I've been rocking everyday. Here are my thoughts comparing them to the 85t's.

Sony's have slightly better ANC and almost identical with memory foam tips on the 85ts. Transparency mode is def louder on the Sony and the Sony's have much better sound quality and better eq, but honestly I wasn't blown away, I also felt the XM3 sounded better. Here's the rub, The App is still buggy and I had Severe issues connecting to it. The right ear bud wouldn't power on unless I took it out, then placed it back in the case. ( this is after the most recent firmware update and I think I factory reset the buds 6 times) Even after this I still had problems connecting to the app in iOS. Battery life was awesome, comfort was good although I noticed after about 2 days the memory foam tips included started to show signs of wear. Case is nice and small, but the lid became loose after 3 days. No Mulit-Point, Seriously? Last and weirdest thing is when connected to my windows PC's The voice had a strange compressed sound while on zoom or teams. This didn't occur in stereo playback via bluetooth, but the same issue is present in my XM3's. Overall I sent them back. for $275, I'm not dealing with all that hassle. I mostly use my TWS' for audiobooks, Zoom and work calls and noise canceling when i'm in the car with my 4 year old twins who are loud as hell. I bought my 85t's for $115 from Jabra last month when they had a sale and put some memory foam tips on them. They have been a fantastic all around TWS for me. I've also been using the Echo Buds 2 and after the most recent update, i'm happy to say, they are pretty fantastic for the prime day price of $99. Sorry, Sony. I'd def. purchase at $100-135 bucks as i'm fairly certain the ones I got were just defective.

Anyone else have any recommendations for a good all around TWS? I'm eyeing the MTW2's, CA MT, but I've been out of the loop for a min.

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #35,028 of 62,443
Anyone else have any recommendations for a good all around TWS? I'm eyeing the MTW2's, CA MT, but I've been out of the loop for a min.
As an all-rounder, I honestly thought the 85t had it. They're certainly not the sonic best, but they do so much of the day-to-day stuff right that I tend to overlook it. If it's an alternative you're after, though, possibly the CA MT if you're looking to stay in the bassier realm or possibly find a set of UE FITS if they go back on crazy sale (seems to be happening a lot lately) if you're after something closer to a reference-level signature. I do have and like the CX400BT, but they're pretty much a sound-only TWS as far as I'm concerned, so they don't make muster for me.

Hopefully that helps!

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #35,029 of 62,443
Been a while since I was here. Been haunting the thread for a bit looking for people's impressions about the XM4's. I purchased a pair last week and compared them to the 85t's I've been rocking everyday. Here are my thoughts comparing them to the 85t's.

Sony's have slightly better ANC and almost identical with memory foam tips on the 85ts. Transparency mode is def louder on the Sony and the Sony's have much better sound quality and better eq, but honestly I wasn't blown away, I also felt the XM3 sounded better. Here's the rub, The App is still buggy and I had Severe issues connecting to it. The right ear bud wouldn't power on unless I took it out, then placed it back in the case. ( this is after the most recent firmware update and I think I factory reset the buds 6 times) Even after this I still had problems connecting to the app in iOS. Battery life was awesome, comfort was good although I noticed after about 2 days the memory foam tips included started to show signs of wear. Case is nice and small, but the lid became loose after 3 days. No Mulit-Point, Seriously? Last and weirdest thing is when connected to my windows PC's The voice had a strange compressed sound while on zoom or teams. This didn't occur in stereo playback via bluetooth, but the same issue is present in my XM3's. Overall I sent them back. for $275, I'm not dealing with all that hassle. I mostly use my TWS' for audiobooks, Zoom and work calls and noise canceling when i'm in the car with my 4 year old twins who are loud as hell. I bought my 85t's for $115 from Jabra last month when they had a sale and put some memory foam tips on them. They have been a fantastic all around TWS for me. I've also been using the Echo Buds 2 and after the most recent update, i'm happy to say, they are pretty fantastic for the prime day price of $99. Sorry, Sony. I'd def. purchase at $100-135 bucks as i'm fairly certain the ones I got were just defective.

Same with me, I prefer the xm3 better than the xm4 with better pricing. Also, I think the xm4 have much tighter sound space than the xm3 and the call quality is just meh.

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #35,030 of 62,443
As an all-rounder, I honestly thought the 85t had it. They're certainly not the sonic best, but they do so much of the day-to-day stuff right that I tend to overlook it. If it's an alternative you're after, though, possibly the CA MT if you're looking to stay in the bassier realm or possibly find a set of UE FITS if they go back on crazy sale (seems to be happening a lot lately) if you're after something closer to a reference-level signature. I do have and like the CX400BT, but they're pretty much a sound-only TWS as far as I'm concerned, so they don't make muster for me.

Hopefully that helps!
Thanks, Man. I was actually looking at the CX400bt's, think i'll pick up the CA MT's and check them out.

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #35,031 of 62,443
Thanks, Man. I was actually looking at the CX400bt's, think i'll pick up the CA MT's and check them out.
They're both great, just in different ways. I just think you'll find the omission of all the features that went into the MTW2 is just too much to bear. If it at least had HearThrough, I think they'd be far better off. Call quality's more than respectable (I get complimented on it over the one in my car, at least).

Tuning is where they really differ. The CX400BT is a warm mid-focused pair that's capable of tons of slam. The CA MT plays a little more fair across genres, comparatively speaking. If you stay in the CX's wheelhouse, you'll be handsomely rewarded, though. I'd consider the CX a good alternate pair to own, just not a daily driver. The MT are probably more suited for your needs.

Don't discount the Melomania 1+ if you don't need the touch controls, though. I think that one will be a bigger winner ergonomically and potentially cheaper.

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #35,032 of 62,443
I’ve never tried different tips with these. The only time I experience a seal breach is mostly when I yawn or some major facial movement like that. Otherwise I have a very snug and secure fit. But all ears are different. I guess you’ve played around with different size fins as well? In my case I use Large tips and fins and I know for a fact that when I yawn, my facial muscles and my jaw cause the fins to be pushed further against the concha and cause the seal breach. But it’s a very minor issue for me. Hope you can work it out soon and enjoy these with no issues.

What I'm feeling/hearing isn't the seal breaching because it's not loosing bass. Instead, every time I move a muscle the sound becomes muffled, like there is a vacuum seal and there is nowhere for the pressure to go. It's strange and I've never experienced this before. I've tried the small fins and the medium with the same result. The best result for me is just to use memory foam tips with these. Maybe if I had a short enough silicone/rubber tip that may work as well. The Azla Crystals might work, but I'm not going to spend $30 right now to find out.

These seem like a good replacement for the Lypertek Tevi foam tips I've been using on my MT's. I got them today and they fit the MT's, and they fit in the case since they are super short. I listened with them for about 2 minutes and they sound good, just like the Tevi foam tips. More listening with them will come shortly.

I am still absolutely in love with the MT's though. I have no problem using foam tips on these, and they isolate even better than the stock tips which is good since they don't have ANC. I listened to them last night for 2 full albums and loved every minute.

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #35,033 of 62,443
every time I move a muscle the sound becomes muffled, like there is a vacuum seal and there is nowhere for the pressure to go.
This sounds like you're trying to insert them too much, bud. I don't think there should be any resting pressure for these things at the tip end. Seems like they leave that to the tragus fin.
These seem like a good replacement for the Lypertek Tevi foam tips I've been using on my MT's. I got them today and they fit the MT's, and they fit in the case since they are super short. I listened with them for about 2 minutes and they sound good, just like the Tevi foam tips. More listening with them will come shortly.
Interesting find and smart thinking. I'd agree that it seems the MT prefers broader tips. Have you had a chance to try the Crystals yet?
I am still absolutely in love with the MT's though. I have no problem using foam tips on these, and they isolate even better than the stock tips which is good since they don't have ANC. I listened to them last night for 2 full albums and loved every minute.
Awesome! I think the MT's tuning is a lot closer to what "fun" is than what a lot of IEM tunings lead you to think it should be.

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #35,034 of 62,443
In that case your list pretty solid, I will be hearing the Status Between Pro in the next couple of weeks so will be able to give feedback on that one. Unfortunately I won't be able to help with the rest other than discuss based on my observations and reading. The XM4 might be the best if you like a darker sound but your paying the early adopter premium to get it. The Bose at $100 is one heck of steal though, I would jump on that one as you should be able to flip it with no loss at that price point if you really don't like the sound or the case. The next best bet is probably the Melomania Touch as it seems to be less problematic with all of the updates to its firmware.

You might also want to consider the Technics AZ70 if you can get them on sale as they offer decent ANC and pretty rock solid and have a good 6hr battery life, but they may also have a battery drain issue on the case (something that seems pretty slow as I have not experienced it much in my use).

The Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro would be nice except they appear to not be supported by the Samsung app so I would give them a hard pass even though I really like their sound signature.

If you can live without ANC you might want to consider the Sennheiser CX400BT if you want a bargain, or buy the new model just called CX True Wireless if you want better battery life and some basic water protection. I also read somewhere that Sennheiser was offering a big promotion through Ireland or something to that effect which might allow you to get the MTW2 at a better price.
Thank you for that response, that was exactly the type of input I wanted. Yeah let us all know what the Status Between Pro's sound like when you get them, I know a lot of youtubers try to talk them up a lot and it's sometimes difficult to fully get if they're being genuine or if they're just paid to say good things about them, you know?
I'm not 100% sure if I prefer dark or bright sound signatures. I don't like it when the treble is too recessed so it feels like you lose detail, but I also don't like when it gets too sibilant and introduce harshness, i'm very sensitive to that type of high-end. I think the Sony's will be great, but I didn't like the XM3's that much so I'm not sure.
Also heard the Melomania seems to be getting better after the firmware updates.

Yeah I saw that they were on sale for $140-ish here and it seemed like a good deal, but then I read that they were pretty lacking in the low-end which will be a bummer for me with maybe 70% of the music I listen to. Of course lack of low-end doesn't mean no low-end but I still don't think I would love them based on what i've heard.
Bose could be cool but it could also be a dud, I remember liking their Soundsport Frees a couple of years back except for the hideous case and buds... and even though they certainly look better now, it's not by much honestly. I think they're probably worth it for the price, but I just feel like that case just... I mean i'm not a guy who carries a bag or backpack, and the bulge in my front pocket from an earbuds case is NOT the bulge that I wish was bigger!
If they sound excellent I would absolutely take it, but most reviews seem to suggest middle-of-the-road (but decent) sound pretty much throughout the entire frequency range with those.

Yeah, any sort of Samsung earbuds are a no-go to the lack of app support, otherwise I probably would've gotten a pair a long time ago, seems to have very decent mic quality and overall decent sound signature at least with one of the presets.

Yeah, I just feel uncertain about Sennheiser right now because I tested the MTW2 in store and they sounded very weird and harsh to my ears. I mentioned it a couple pages back. Could be just since I tried it with tips that weren't stock, but I don't dare buying them without trying them.

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #35,035 of 62,443
Thank you for that response, that was exactly the type of input I wanted. Yeah let us all know what the Status Between Pro's sound like when you get them, I know a lot of youtubers try to talk them up a lot and it's sometimes difficult to fully get if they're being genuine or if they're just paid to say good things about them, you know?
I'm not 100% sure if I prefer dark or bright sound signatures. I don't like it when the treble is too recessed so it feels like you lose detail, but I also don't like when it gets too sibilant and introduce harshness, i'm very sensitive to that type of high-end. I think the Sony's will be great, but I didn't like the XM3's that much so I'm not sure.
I would only recommend the Between Pro if you can get them at the current Indiegogo pricing (which I think is currently $100), but once the price jumps again or they've moved on to sales directly through their website, I would call them a hard pass.

Don't get me wrong; they're great tonally and if you don't care much about technicalities, I think they'll do you just fine. They're otherwise just pretty 2-dimensional when it comes to sound and I found myself barely reaching for them because they didn't have as much life as other pairs in the collection. Just a little too far behind the curve in comparison for me to make it a solid recommendation.

As for the firmware updates, I promised my Cambridge rep that I wouldn't share any details of what was being tested. That being said, it's an ongoing process and when I have information I can share, I will certainly do so.

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #35,036 of 62,443
I own the XM4 and have had the Touch previously, and this is not going to really help but with this hobby, end of the day, there is no better only what you like lol
Both are good, with these kind of matters it's an unfortunate case of having to try things yourself and decide with your own set of ears rather than take an opinion off a guy off the Internet :wink:. Having said that, the XM4 has it all, feature and sound wise for me for on the go. If you don't need the best ANC on the market and solid connection, then Touch is excellent sounding alternative that doesn't have the bass authority of the XM4 but keeps up in other areas. I'm just a guy off the internet so don't take my word for it whatever you do!

My personal 2 cents is don't put too much money into the wireless side, you only need one or two pairs. Instead save and invest in a good wired set up.
Yeah haha, as I've mentioned before it's difficult to try them when you can't return them, so if you don't educate yourself you might end up buying something that isn't worth the money, and you might not get anywhere near the money you spent back if you sell them.

I know wired is where the best sound quality is but I'm honestly not looking to go back to wired again, possibly ever except for studio headphones when i'm producing/mixing something, that's about it. I'm just a picky listener without being an audiophile, I know when things sound good to my ears but the sheer convenience of true wireless outweigh the hit you take in SQ.

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #35,037 of 62,443
This sounds like you're trying to insert them too much, bud. I don't think there should be any resting pressure for these things at the tip end. Seems like they leave that to the tragus fin.

Interesting find and smart thinking. I'd agree that it seems the MT prefers broader tips. Have you had a chance to try the Crystals yet?

Awesome! I think the MT's tuning is a lot closer to what "fun" is than what a lot of IEM tunings lead you to think it should be.
I could be inserting too deep, or it could be my ear shape, IDK. But the foams work fine. I have not tried the Crystals, but I'm not ready to potentially spend another $30 on tips that may no work for me with these either. I've had about a half a dozen different true wireless IEM's and plenty of wired IEM's and never had this same problem, but whatever. These work fine with foam tips.

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #35,038 of 62,443
I could be inserting too deep, or it could be my ear shape, IDK. But the foams work fine. I have not tried the Crystals, but I'm not ready to potentially spend another $30 on tips that may no work for me with these either. I've had about a half a dozen different true wireless IEM's and plenty of wired IEM's and never had this same problem, but whatever. These work fine with foam tips.
No worries if you're good with the foam, then. I know it seems really counterintuitive based on the MT's shape, but I get the best fit with them when I'm not trying to go for any insertion depth at all; I just get the tip so it rests on my ear canal. I can move all over the place, chew, etc and the sound doesn't change. What I think is happening in your case is the tip is too far in, either pinching or rolling over inside the ear canal and you're hearing that plugging effect as a pressure build-up/no sound.

Of course that's only if you feel like continuing to figure out fit. If you're happy with where you're at with the foamies, I don't blame you. Fwiw, I still run them on the stock tips pretty often and have constant issues with seal. It isn't just you. Luckily, I've found tips that work for me as well, but it's definitely going to be a sticking point for prospective buyers. Might as well factor in a little extra in case you need 'em.

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #35,039 of 62,443
Right now, I just wish kz release a improved version of kz e10 with anc, better battery life, more codecs, able to stream in 990kph/ 32 bits/96 khz. It been a year since the last time I try the e10 and it still blow me away, but the lagging issue is just like playing gacha lol.

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #35,040 of 62,443

Yeah I saw that they were on sale for $140-ish here and it seemed like a good deal, but then I read that they were pretty lacking in the low-end which will be a bummer for me with maybe 70% of the music I listen to. Of course lack of low-end doesn't mean no low-end but I still don't think I would love them based on what i've heard.
Bose could be cool but it could also be a dud, I remember liking their Soundsport Frees a couple of years back except for the hideous case and buds... and even though they certainly look better now, it's not by much honestly. I think they're probably worth it for the price, but I just feel like that case just... I mean i'm not a guy who carries a bag or backpack, and the bulge in my front pocket from an earbuds case is NOT the bulge that I wish was bigger!
If they sound excellent I would absolutely take it, but most reviews seem to suggest middle-of-the-road (but decent) sound pretty much throughout the entire frequency range with those.

Yeah, any sort of Samsung earbuds are a no-go to the lack of app support, otherwise I probably would've gotten a pair a long time ago, seems to have very decent mic quality and overall decent sound signature at least with one of the presets.

Yeah, I just feel uncertain about Sennheiser right now because I tested the MTW2 in store and they sounded very weird and harsh to my ears. I mentioned it a couple pages back. Could be just since I tried it with tips that weren't stock, but I don't dare buying them without trying them.
Hmmm, if you didn't like the XM3 sound wise, everything I read suggests the sound is a bit darker and treble even less pronounced on the XM4 which is one of the reasons aside from price I am struggling with the new model. If you do decide on trying the XM4 I would make sure it's from a company that allows returns like Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back