Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 23, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #34,606 of 62,439
Just received the sony wf-1000xm4 today and I will say I am impress with the anc and ambient sound function, not so much with the sound (it seem like it lacking something as the sound profile is muddy and dark). I probably send it back after a few days.

Attachments

• P_20210623_160451.jpg
    P_20210623_160451.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210623-160413456.jpg
    Screenshot_20210623-160413456.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 0
Jun 23, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #34,607 of 62,439
Just received the sony wf-1000xm4 today and I will say I am impress with the anc and ambient sound function, not so much with the sound (it seem like it lacking something as the sound profile is muddy and dark). I probably send it back after a few days.
Switch to silicone tips, spiral dots or epeos work well. Also, per another user +3 to +5 at 2.5k and +2 at 6.3k and 16k. The foam tips do a great job aiding in isolation, but they warm an already warm sounding iem.

Jun 23, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #34,609 of 62,439
I will use my kz tips and try again then
I’m really sensitive to dark/muddy. I don’t like it one bit. A little tweak to EQ really solves this issue entirely. It’s completely overblown. I’m really warming up to these. The sq is right there with the best I’ve heard.

Jun 23, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #34,610 of 62,439
I’m really sensitive to dark/muddy. I don’t like it one bit. A little tweak to EQ really solves this issue entirely. It’s completely overblown. I’m really warming up to these. The sq is right there with the best I’ve heard.

Yeah I've been using these silicone tips I had in my drawer that have a wide bore with the XM4, and with a small EQ bump I have been jamming to these the last few days without feeling any impulse to adjust them. On the other hand I have noticed a couple glitches, though they simply fixed themselves by pausing and playing the music again.

Jun 23, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #34,611 of 62,439
So sony ear tips are bad then.
I did change the ear tips to kz e10 one and those blow my a** off. Goddamn sony....

Jun 24, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #34,612 of 62,439
So sony ear tips are bad then.
I did change the ear tips to kz e10 one and those blow my a** off. Goddamn sony....
They aren't bad. Sony promotes near class leasing ANC. The stock tips play a big role in that as well. Sony house sound is also a warmer tuning. Details are there, bit recessed. I didn't think they sounded bad, but could use a bit extension in the treble and lifted mids, which are easy to do with tip change and slight eq tweaks. The fact that they allow for this, and is stays with the iem shows they had the idea for customization to the users liking. People may not have preferred the Tock tune, but modifying it isn't difficult at all

Jun 24, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #34,613 of 62,439
They aren't bad. Sony promotes near class leasing ANC. The stock tips play a big role in that as well. Sony house sound is also a warmer tuning. Details are there, bit recessed. I didn't think they sounded bad, but could use a bit extension in the treble and lifted mids, which are easy to do with tip change and slight eq tweaks. The fact that they allow for this, and is stays with the iem shows they had the idea for customization to the users liking. People may not have preferred the Tock tune, but modifying it isn't difficult at all
I think the Sony ear tips provide better anc, but it also sacrifice the sound. On the other hand, other ear tips degrade the anc like 10% but they also giving a better sound.

Jun 24, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #34,615 of 62,439
I seem to have misplaced one of my Grado GT220 earphones and therefore looking to get a new pair.

I'am not up to speed with all the latest products and wanted to check with you all whether there were True Wireless Custom Earphones or the current Devialet Gemini still the top sound quality ones.
Snugs do custom tips for the well known ones. They also have a range where you can take a photo of each ear, send that in and they match the ear to the database. Only issue there is when it comes to charging the buds.

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #34,616 of 62,439
Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #34,617 of 62,439
iirc I think low charge had something to do with mine as well. If so it's not consistent as in every time charge is depleted, because I've used them several times since then and ran them down to the warning "bong" sound. Anyway if it is a defect it is a rare one I can live with, and hopefully you will find same.
@Luchyres I just experienced this again. Charge was around 48% and it kept clicking off from the left earpiece. I put both back in the case for about 10 seconds, and upon reconnection the pausing stopped though there was still an occasional click sound from the left side. I then put them in the case for 10 minutes and all good. BTW, low humidity.

As long as this is just an occasional thing it's something I won't even bother to contact support about (maybe in three years when my Devialet Care replacement warranty is about to expire :wink:).

Jun 24, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #34,618 of 62,439
I received my Devialet Gemini on Tuesday and wanted to share my impressions so far.

1) Pairing - This was not nearly as smooth as the process with Sony or Bose, but I will forgive that.
2) Sound - The sound to my ears bests both the Bose QC buds and Sony XM3 and XM4. Solid impactful bass that is not flabby and goes very low. The mids and highs might be a little rougher than the Bose, but luckily I find the EQ very functional and much better than the Sony EQ. Knocking a few DBs off a couple of the mid/high bands and it is just right for me. The sound stage is wide and enjoyable. I will say I had a very tough time getting a good seal with the stock tips. I've experimented with some other tips I have on hand, but unfortunately most of them are too large to fit into the case. I have some tips that I cut a few mm off the stem and was able to get them to fit in the box and still give me a good seal. Still experimenting in this area.
3) Features - I find the noise cancelling and touch controls to be nice and mostly intuitive. I don't think the noise cancelling is at the same level as the Sony or Bose, but I don't have them side by side to compare. I like the active pass through for walking, but the touch controls to switch between the noise cancelling and pass through does not always seem to work unless the app is actually open.
4) Comfort - The comfort is not nearly as good as the Bose or Sony, but luckily it's certainly not bad. I have a bit more trouble keeping these in my ears and feel like I'm having to check them every so often to make sure they aren't falling out of my ears.
5) Calls - Haven't done a ton of calls yet, but folks say I sound like I'm in a tin can or am underwater. All calls were done in very noisy environments though.
6) The not so good - I unfortunately continue to have a problem with the right bud not pausing the music when I take it out of my ear. If I factory reset both buds it will resolve this issue for a while but eventually goes back to not working. Also on the right bud I get a very strange chirping noise when it is out of my ear and I cover the nozzle with my finger. I have no idea what this could be other than maybe a side effect of the "EAM" tech. I have an open support case with Devialet about these issues.

I think unfortunately I'm going to have to send it back which due to the hardware issues unless support can come up with a fix for me. I really really like these and hope if I get a replacement pair that it will resolve the issues I'm having. Will wait and see what support has to say.

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #34,620 of 62,439
I received my Devialet Gemini on Tuesday and wanted to share my impressions so far.

1) Pairing - This was not nearly as smooth as the process with Sony or Bose, but I will forgive that.
2) Sound - The sound to my ears bests both the Bose QC buds and Sony XM3 and XM4. Solid impactful bass that is not flabby and goes very low. The mids and highs might be a little rougher than the Bose, but luckily I find the EQ very functional and much better than the Sony EQ. Knocking a few DBs off a couple of the mid/high bands and it is just right for me. The sound stage is wide and enjoyable. I will say I had a very tough time getting a good seal with the stock tips. I've experimented with some other tips I have on hand, but unfortunately most of them are too large to fit into the case. I have some tips that I cut a few mm off the stem and was able to get them to fit in the box and still give me a good seal. Still experimenting in this area.
3) Features - I find the noise cancelling and touch controls to be nice and mostly intuitive. I don't think the noise cancelling is at the same level as the Sony or Bose, but I don't have them side by side to compare. I like the active pass through for walking, but the touch controls to switch between the noise cancelling and pass through does not always seem to work unless the app is actually open.
4) Comfort - The comfort is not nearly as good as the Bose or Sony, but luckily it's certainly not bad. I have a bit more trouble keeping these in my ears and feel like I'm having to check them every so often to make sure they aren't falling out of my ears.
5) Calls - Haven't done a ton of calls yet, but folks say I sound like I'm in a tin can or am underwater. All calls were done in very noisy environments though.
6) The not so good - I unfortunately continue to have a problem with the right bud not pausing the music when I take it out of my ear. If I factory reset both buds it will resolve this issue for a while but eventually goes back to not working. Also on the right bud I get a very strange chirping noise when it is out of my ear and I cover the nozzle with my finger. I have no idea what this could be other than maybe a side effect of the "EAM" tech. I have an open support case with Devialet about these issues.

I think unfortunately I'm going to have to send it back which due to the hardware issues unless support can come up with a fix for me. I really really like these and hope if I get a replacement pair that it will resolve the issues I'm having. Will wait and see what support has to say.
Sorry you couldn't get a good fit. I'm guessing that might be a source of other things you are experiencing. Ear Active Matching is a real thing and might be factoring in here somehow. I happen to like the newer stock tips, but before that I had good success with SpinFit 360s. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back