Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 2, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #32,671 of 62,437
most reviewer on youtube seems to confirm that it can at least reach 12 hours, that's still impressively longer than the Buds plus. i haven't purchase it myself though, too many TWS lying around at the moment :sweat_smile:
I got 12 hours out of my buds+. I listen at lower volumes though.
Totally a conscious choice. I'd like to use my IEMs more with my phone, but setting up the dongle, amps, and cables can be a bit cumbersome. Sometimes i just want to throw them on.

They don't have an insane battery life, but the consensus I was seeing from reviews was that the CF01 could drive some fairly current-hungry IEMs. If they can make the Dunu DK-3001 Pro shine, then mission accomplished.

I predict they might struggle a little bit with the P1, but it'll be an interesting test.

I've also heard mixed reports about case size, but lugging these around in my pocket isn't in the plans. I can live with a bigger case, especially if practically any IEM will fit inside while connected and have cushion on both sides so it's not flopping all over the place.

The silicon inside looked good, form factor appeared just about right for me, and cleg's most recent review kinda sealed the deal for me. It really did come down to SQ in the end. I have a bunch of other pairs that can handle all the bells and whistles

Because some IEM shells are really large and I haven't seen one complaint of a fitment issue with the CF01 and those offenders. Seems like you can just leave everything connected. Case does Qi charging, too, which is a major plus.

These basically sit on a desk or in a bag when they're not in use. I'm ok with them being a bit big.

Just FYI, if getting the CF01 be aware of the approx. 20ohm output impedance. It may skew the SQ of your IEMs if they are low impedance and high sensitivity.

May 2, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #32,672 of 62,437
I got 12 hours out of my buds+. I listen at lower volumes though.

Just FYI, if getting the CF01 be aware of the approx. 20ohm output impedance. It may skew the SQ of your IEMs if they are low impedance and high sensitivity.
I read through the CF01 thread and know what you're talking about. I think both sides need to calm down a bit, honestly. Some guys just get a little too wrapped up in the spec wars.
I understand the detrimental effect if the output on a fixed load might be 20 ohms, but music isn't necessarily a fixed load, so the output impedance has more variability than people give it credit for.
Appreciate the concern, though! I'll be sure to keep an eye out for any weird synergy issues.

May 2, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #32,673 of 62,437
They don't have an insane battery life, but the consensus I was seeing from reviews was that the CF01 could drive some fairly current-hungry IEMs. If they can make the Dunu DK-3001 Pro shine, then mission accomplished.
BT20S pro and the EST 112 are an excellent pairing. Haven't tried the UTWS3 on them yet though.

How do you like the 3001's? The EST 112 checks all the right boxes for me. I find that the different tips change the overall signature a bit too. With the grey tips, the overall sound is a very mild V shape with great extension on both ends. More energy, dynamic, engaging sound. They have the treble extension and sparkle that I like and the bass hits low and tight with excellent definition. With white tips I find the overall sound to be more balanced/neutral. Sound is a bit more relaxed, laid back. I also find the resolution to be even better.

These past couple days I've been falling in love over the Dusk all over again though. With the Dusk and the EST 112, I think I've hit the end of the road. I don't see any reason to go any higher and don't want to spend $$$$ on kilobuck IEMs. The only ones that do intrigue me are perhaps the S8 (which is supposedly the bigger brother to the Dusk), Luna, and U12t but that's it. I guess I could settle for baby U12t (SA6). 😄

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #32,674 of 62,437
Which TWS buds has the best batterylife on the buds itself?
The JLab Epic Air Sport ANC advertise 15 hours, I listen at medium volume but i managed 12 and change with them.
Still not to shabby. for the price one could do a lot worse. also they have wireless charging and the optional charging cord is built in to the case. As I was writing this reply, I thought i'd pull them out and see if they had any juice left, as they haven't been used at all for at least 2 months. The prompt said battery full when I powered them up, but i kept them out for a bit to see what reading the phone would show. Sure enough, 100%. pretty impressive.

May 2, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #32,675 of 62,437
BT20S pro and the EST 112 are an excellent pairing. Haven't tried the UTWS3 on them yet though.

How do you like the 3001's? The EST 112 checks all the right boxes for me. I find that the different tips change the overall signature a bit too. With the grey tips, the overall sound is a very mild V shape with great extension on both ends. More energy, dynamic, engaging sound. They have the treble extension and sparkle that I like and the bass hits low and tight with excellent definition. With white tips I find the overall sound to be more balanced/neutral. Sound is a bit more relaxed, laid back. I also find the resolution to be even better.

These past couple days I've been falling in love over the Dusk all over again though. With the Dusk and the EST 112, I think I've hit the end of the road. I don't see any reason to go any higher and don't want to spend $$$$ on kilobuck IEMs. The only ones that do intrigue me are perhaps the S8 (which is supposedly the bigger brother to the Dusk), Luna, and U12t but that's it. I guess I could settle for baby U12t (SA6). 😄
Oh the 3001 Pro is sublime, bud. Sound signature is very tip-dependent; more so than I've really seen before. Each IEM is honestly so small, I can barely believe there's a single DD and 4 BAs in each earpiece. It is the first pair I have ever had that I could legitimately sleep with. Could wax poetic about the cable, but you already know how that experience goes.

As far as sound signature, it just kinda plays it all and so smoothly. I know you have the electrostatic benefit in yours, but man these sparkle and never stab. FR is just...right for my preferences. They thankfully have fantastic technicalities to back them up. I totally get why people suggest going with the 2001 if you need more fun, but these play closer to my preferences.

If someone can do that much in a casing this small, it really makes me wonder what they're feeding the kids over at Dunu. TWS manufacturers should be paying attention to this.

May 2, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #32,676 of 62,437

Tronsmart Apollo Bold (Left), Tronsmart Apollo Air (Middle), and Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro (Right)

Tronsmart Apollo Air

The Apollo Air has a strong bass thump that never becomes offensive, but still pumps strong enough to give music power. Next to the mid-bass slam, the bass sounds deep enough. One thing I noticed is when ANC is off, bass quantity reduces a bit making it sounds more balanced. The sub-bass has a decent rumble and lows are more powerful than a lot of other TWS I have tried. The two adjectives that best sum up the sound of Air are 'delicious' and 'exciting'. I have spent some days comparing it to a pair of Galaxy Pro's more neutral and polite presentation. While the comparison did reveal some limitations in the Apollo Air, most obviously in some lack of grip and micro dynamic tension in the neither regions, and in upper treble extension and drive in general, this very stern comparison also confirmed how good the Air was in nearly every other aspect of performance. I'm finding the Apollo Air with 10mm graphene coated DD such an exciting and down-right enjoyable experience, especially with classical and acoustic material. When playing Poème, Op. 25 by Hilary Hahn, for example, its sheer delicacy and sumptuous sweetness in timbre is both inviting and immensely involving, and its tonality (ANC off) has an essential rightness that's thoroughly convincing.

Tested on iphone (AAC) with the latest firmware.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #32,677 of 62,437
For those of you who have been waiting for (or might be looking for) tiny adapters to/from MMCX and 2-pin, I stumbled across this while reading the CF01 thread.

https://www.oeaudio.net/iem-adapter

No Amazon link, but they're there. Personal choice, but I'm trying to pay companies direct if I can. These seem like high-quality connectors at first glance and I'm hoping they end up low-profile enough to work with the CF01 and my 2-pin stuff here.
Though they have known to start cutting out from a few reports. I bought a set cause I don't even put that many hours on stuff lately but still the right one started to cut out. I can fiddle to get it working again but it will keep doing it every so often. I'd expect the same. Though I do have two-pin to MMCX so per chance that may make a difference or it may not.

I read I guess speculation that there would be a CF02. Any actual info on if that is true? They seem the best design. I might like them to adopt the swappable connectors and ambient mode though that seems to be to hard for the Chinese companies. Even Shanling tried ambient with the first model and dropped it with the new one. It might be hard but you usually pay for chip maker to help out and I guess they don't want to pay the costs to get the implementation assist and perhaps the language barrier hurts too but Chi-Fi don't seem to do ambient.

I have a DUNU Zen that is very true sounding and gets along with whatever you plug into it and is easy to power and is MMCX but not sure about a CF01 unless there is a deal on them.

May 2, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #32,678 of 62,437
Though they have known to start cutting out from a few reports. I bought a set cause I don't even put that many hours on stuff lately but still the right one started to cut out. I can fiddle to get it working again but it will keep doing it every so often. I'd expect the same. Though I do have two-pin to MMCX so per chance that may make a difference or it may not.

I read I guess speculation that there would be a CF02. Any actual info on if that is true? They seem the best design. I might like them to adopt the swappable connectors and ambient mode though that seems to be to hard for the Chinese companies. Even Shanling tried ambient with the first model and dropped it with the new one. It might be hard but you usually pay for chip maker to help out and I guess they don't want to pay the costs to get the implementation assist and perhaps the language barrier hurts too but Chi-Fi don't seem to do ambient.

I have a DUNU Zen that is very true sounding and gets along with whatever you plug into it and is easy to power and is MMCX but not sure about a CF01 unless there is a deal on them.
Saw some of those cutting-out reports as well. I can make the Falcon Pro cry for signal in an open field with the thing in my back pocket, so I won't be too worried until issues start popping up within line-of-sight.

I mean Bloom has an Open Box CF01, but I don't know if the markdown is enough to warrant it. Would definitely trust Andrew to take care of any issues, though.

If a CF02 is in the works, that's news to me. I'd be really excited to know more about it since I think iBasso has been making pretty consistent progress with its hardware. HiBy too, to an extent.

I'll give feedback on how I think the CF01 work with some other single-DD arrangements I have around here to hopefully give you a rough idea of what to expect from the Zen. Have the T2 Pro and Kanas Pro; both should be able to make the CF01 beg in different ways.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #32,680 of 62,437
I just notice the cut outs with the 2-pin to MMCX adapter. The UTWS3 does not play well with these adapters. The BT20S pro worked ok with these because the hooks are more flexible but the UTWS3 hooks are stiffer and any slight movement it would cut out.

Also, the adapters make the fitment around the ear feel awkward and loose and will tend to slip off a lot easier than without them. If you are standing or sitting upright it might be ok, but not lying down.

May 3, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #32,681 of 62,437
Thank you for that long reply. Currently I’m just using a Periodic Audio Beryllium on a RHA Dacamp L1. Haha, nothing fancy like you guys. I’m just looking for a wireless pair of earbuds that can take calls, has good enough ANC, and has awesome sound quality (similar to or better than what I had). I’m looking at Bose quietcomfort, MW08, and PI7. I’m not sure if there are any more good ones? Sony and Jabra 85 don’t seem too good in the reviews.

For music, I do a bit of these.. rock, pop, kpop, acoustic, voices. I like things with clarity, imaging and a bigger soundstage. Sorry, I may not be using the right terms. Regarding using things like Tidal or Qobuz in hifi, will any earbuds mentioned be better than what Apple Music offers? I think they only give 320 kbps, while the others can go higher? When I do get better earbuds, I might switch over to Tidal or Qobuz if the sound quality really has a big difference.

periodic audio specs -
https://periodicaudio.com/products/beryllium
Reviews
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/periodic-audio-beryllium-be.22397/reviews
I'd go with the KEF mu3's. I use both Tidal and Qobuz depending on what I plan on listening to. Qobuz is especially great for classical and opera if you're into that sort of thing.

May 3, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #32,683 of 62,437
Reports this morning that Apple is going to launch a hifi music tier. Could be a game changer for iOS. I wonder if they will upgrade AAC - otherwise what purpose would it serve?

May 3, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #32,684 of 62,437
Reports this morning that Apple is going to launch a hifi music tier. Could be a game changer for iOS. I wonder if they will upgrade AAC - otherwise what purpose would it serve?
We'll have to see what this entails. A lot of speculation regarding it working with their AirPods headphones (hence the AirPods announcement delays).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back