Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 7, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #31,636 of 62,443
Seems like M&D is only selling the MW08 themselves? No Amazon or Best Buy? I’ve dealt with them before but I prefer zero hassle returns etc. I wonder if this is just temporary.
They recently just released the product, I’m sure they’ll have other resellers.

Apr 7, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #31,637 of 62,443
Does anyone know what happened to the FiiO UTWS3? Seems very difficult to find after not having been out very long. I'd really love a good MMCX connector for my SE846 before deciding to jump to something full bluetooth, though you all have some very interesting models here that I'm looking over. The TRN BT20S Pro seems to be getting thrashed in reviews, so I was hoping the UTWS3 would be better.

Apr 7, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #31,638 of 62,443
Does anyone know what happened to the FiiO UTWS3? Seems very difficult to find after not having been out very long. I'd really love a good MMCX connector for my SE846 before deciding to jump to something full bluetooth, though you all have some very interesting models here that I'm looking over. The TRN BT20S Pro seems to be getting thrashed in reviews, so I was hoping the UTWS3 would be better.
Both are fine to be honest. I have very few issues with the TRN and very few with the UTWS3. That said, you’ll either need to ship in from China to get the UTWS3 or wait for Amazon to get stock of the MMCX model again; no clue when that’ll happen. Shure has their own TWS adapters as well, I haven’t tried them though; they’re on the pricier side.

Apr 7, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #31,640 of 62,443
Both are fine to be honest. I have very few issues with the TRN and very few with the UTWS3. That said, you’ll either need to ship in from China to get the UTWS3 or wait for Amazon to get stock of the MMCX model again; no clue when that’ll happen. Shure has their own TWS adapters as well, I haven’t tried them though; they’re on the pricier side.
Heard mixed reports on Shure's MMCX connector compatibility. It's available, but may not work with all IEMs.

Apr 7, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #31,641 of 62,443
thanks a lot! I did see the Shure TWS ones but can't get over the call in only one ear thing in addition to the price :frowning2: Maybe I'll try the TRN ones while waiting for the UTWS3.
I haven't tried calls with the TRN or UTWS3, so I can't comment on that. I'm not sure if it has changed, but I know a lot of early TWS headphones did not support stereo for phone calls in general.
Heard mixed reports on Shure's MMCX connector compatibility. It's available, but may not work with all IEMs.
Hm, interesting, I wouldn't know for sure. Though @gnychis mentioned his SE846, I'm sure the Shure adapter would work for that; it'd be incredibly stupid of Shure if it didn't.

Apr 7, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #31,642 of 62,443
Hm, interesting, I wouldn't know for sure. Though @gnychis mentioned his SE846, I'm sure the Shure adapter would work for that; it'd be incredibly stupid of Shure if it didn't.
True, true. I'd be significantly more concerned if it didn't work within their own ecosystem. For the 846, I don't see why they wouldn't. The caveat I'll give, however, is towards just how fragile Shure's connectors have been for me in the past. I would avoid constantly swapping the connector, if possible. My SE215s didn't last a week due to connector fatigue (was trying to do something similar with TRN's original BT neckband).

Apr 7, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #31,643 of 62,443
It supposedly sounds great with the SE846 and has preset profiles for Shure IEMs. Not sure why it wouldnt work with other IEMs (if you can get over the profile name being different from the actual IEM) since third party MMCX cables seem to work with all of my Shure IEMs. Currently use a Meze Rai cable with my SE846, Linsoul balanced cable with my SE535s and Shure BT2 with my SE425s. SE535s lasted 7 years with almost daily use until I had to get the MMCX connectors repaired. Havent gotten the Shure TWS adapter myself though because I still prefer wired and the one side mic thing that the OP pointed out is just silly in my opinion (bad design choice by Shure). Hoping they fix this with a v2 adapter.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #31,644 of 62,443
It supposedly sounds great with the SE846 and has preset profiles for Shure IEMs. Not sure why it wouldnt work with other IEMs (if you can get over the profile name being different from the actual IEM) since third party MMCX cables seem to work with all of my Shure IEMs. Currently use a Meze Rai cable with my SE846, Linsoul balanced cable with my SE535s and Shure BT2 with my SE425s. SE535s lasted 7 years with almost daily use until I had to get the MMCX connectors repaired. Havent gotten the Shure TWS adapter myself though because I still prefer wired and the one side mic thing that the OP pointed out is just silly in my opinion (bad design choice by Shure). Hoping they fix this with a v2 adapter.
It's not so much the cable compatibility with Shure IEMs as it is the compatibility of Shure cables with other IEMs. While all MMCX connectors look similar, they are not all the same. Some have recessed cups and some are keyed to prevent rotation, for example. These will either stress the connector on your IEM or just not make a solid electrical connection in the first place; neither is good for longevity.

Sometimes, that cheap cable is cheap because the parts are cheap. Not a universal truth, but still a valid lesson learned.

Apr 7, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #31,645 of 62,443
KLH Fusion. Wide soundstage. Bass punches. Love the sound. Voice controls are awesome. BT strong indoors. Calls today were flawless. Clear both ways. Case has Qi. Fit is great and they are very light.

Very interesting. Does voice control work well? What’s the Environmental Noise Cancellation? Does this mean they have hearthrough? How does it behave with wind noise?

How does the sound compare to the MT... or others? Thanks!

Apr 7, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #31,646 of 62,443

The shaping of the housing around the MMCX connector could create issues. I don't know what Shure looks like, but I'm sure it's fine. AKG's connector on the N5005 is recessed if I'm not mistaken. There's a note on their page saying that N5005 connectors won't work with their other MMCX headphones.

Apr 7, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #31,647 of 62,443
Very interesting. Does voice control work well? What’s the Environmental Noise Cancellation? Does this mean they have hearthrough? How does it behave with wind noise?

How does the sound compare to the MT... or others? Thanks!
Yes, I'm really surprised that the voice control works so well. I think ENC is just for calls. They don't have ANC. I thought they did, but no. That said, they have pretty good isolation with the tips included. I haven't used them outside yet. They are louder than the MW08, which bums me out. Really love the MW08, but on some albums they just don't punch up the volume the way I like. I don't have the MT's anymore to test. Too many issues with the MT so I returned them.

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #31,648 of 62,443
It's not so much the cable compatibility with Shure IEMs as it is the compatibility of Shure cables with other IEMs. While all MMCX connectors look similar, they are not all the same. Some have recessed cups and some are keyed to prevent rotation, for example. These will either stress the connector on your IEM or just not make a solid electrical connection in the first place; neither is good for longevity.

Sometimes, that cheap cable is cheap because the parts are cheap. Not a universal truth, but still a valid lesson learned.
Understood. I think that is why I keep coming back to this site to see what valuable feedback others have based on their experience. I only mentioned my experience with the Shure MMCX connectors in response to your post re the SE215s lasting a week. It just seems the user experience varies quite a bit so I wanted to note that not all people who use Shure IEMs have had the same experience with failure of the MMCX connectors. YMMV. Anyway, this is probably not the forum to debate Shure,s MMCX connectors but to address their TWS adapter. I was just adding my thoughts on why I passed on the Shure TWS1 (in agreement with the posts above).

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #31,649 of 62,443
Understood. I think that is why I keep coming back to this site to see what valuable feedback others have based on their experience. I only mentioned my experience with the Shure MMCX connectors in response to your post re the SE215s lasting a week. It just seems the user experience varies quite a bit so I wanted to note that not all people who use Shure IEMs have had the same experience with failure of the MMCX connectors. YMMV. Anyway, this is probably not the forum to debate Shure,s MMCX connectors but to address their TWS adapter. I was just adding my thoughts on why I passed on the Shure TWS1 (in agreement with the posts above).
I had the Shure TW1. They're nice. They do work with all of Shures IEM. Never had an issue with a failure of the MMCX connection. They would drop out every now and then, even after the new firmware fixes. Passthrough worked very well and I never had an issue on calls. The case is huge. You can't save EQ settings within the app to the buds unless your music is stored locally on your phone. Can't EQ Apple Music or Spotify. They don't fit as well with a two pin adapter and different IEM's. I wanted them to so badly, but in the end returned them. I prefer the Fostex and the BT20S. Both these models are modular and let you change the connectors.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #31,650 of 62,443
I had the Shure TW1. They're nice. They do work with all of Shures IEM. Never had an issue with a failure of the MMCX connection. They would drop out every now and then, even after the new firmware fixes. Passthrough worked very well and I never had an issue on calls. The case is huge. You can't save EQ settings within the app to the buds unless your music is stored locally on your phone. Can't EQ Apple Music or Spotify. They don't fit as well with a two pin adapter and different IEM's. I wanted them to so badly, but in the end returned them. I prefer the Fostex and the BT20S. Both these models are modular and let you change the connectors.

That is a huge plus with the BT20s and Fostex designs, the modularity of them. Though if you're after an EQ, Fiio's neckband (LC-BT2) has an excellent 10-band EQ. Since the EQ saves to the neckband, it works with anything :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back