Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 20, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #30,918 of 62,419
To the JBL Club Pro+ owners, what type of tips fit these buds?
Just pulled the plug on these for 149€!
I've used SpinFit CP360 and the Final TWS tips. Prefer the stock ones as the changes to sound signature were negligible and they already have a really robust in-app EQ to tame any peaks. Don't think it's necessary, though.
Anyone knows what happened to the first Bowes and Wilkins TWS? Maybe supply issues given the pandemic?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bowers-Wilkins-Cancelling-headphones-resolution-White/dp/B08H8486Y7
I think B&W jumped the shark and announced too early. PI7 probably got held up in development.
The Noble Falcon Pro’s pick up the cymbals very well from soft to firmer hits, starting at 1:07-08. They also pick up the light clicking sound and the singers breath. The reason I’ve been a bit surprised by the hybrid design of the Falcon pro’s granted out of the box they badly need EQ. Even in stairway to heaven, Led Zeppelin remastered Flac HR they pick up him gently tapping his guitar at 16-17 seconds in, which the Sennheiser’s and Sony’s didn’t pick up at all. Cambridge are cheap, I’ll have to order one to try.
The Cambridge won't resolve to the same degree as the Noble. Then again, that's comparing a single Dynamic Driver to a hybrid setup...not quite a fair comparison. That being said, I have both and would rather listen to the Cambridge for extended periods. Not only are they more comfortable in terms of fit, I think they're less fatiguing long-term.
That being said, I'd love to see what EQ you ended up with. If I can ever get the app to see my Pros on load, I'd love to test it myself.
With the update are the Cambridge Audio Apt X HD or Adaptive or only standard? After hearing the difference not sure I want to buy one with older technology. Personally don’t like ANC on most they add a static sound that I can’t stand. I switch to comply foam tips and usually block enough outside sound for me.
I got caught up the codec wars for a while, but have learned that implementation matters. AptX Adaptive is only available on limited chipsets. If your device didn't support it (and I'm pretty sure the M15 does not), then you'll revert to aptX/HD/LL anyway. My phone does provide support, but the app tends not to, and I find multiple instances of LL-Noble FalconPro in my devices list if I attempt to use the app, causing my phone to be confused about which device it needs to output signal to.
If you're using an iDevice, be happy with AAC because you don't get aptX anyway; at least the codec has been updated/optimized for the device anyway and it's similar to aptX in throughput at this point. SBC still lags the pack, though.
Long story short, the codec wars are a bit silly. Yes, there are some cases where I can detect codec artifacts (the Technics using AAC on Android was one of them), but even that can vary from device to device.

Mar 20, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #30,920 of 62,419
I've used SpinFit CP360 and the Final TWS tips. Prefer the stock ones as the changes to sound signature were negligible and they already have a really robust in-app EQ to tame any peaks. Don't think it's necessary, though.

I think B&W jumped the shark and announced too early. PI7 probably got held up in development.

The Cambridge won't resolve to the same degree as the Noble. Then again, that's comparing a single Dynamic Driver to a hybrid setup...not quite a fair comparison. That being said, I have both and would rather listen to the Cambridge for extended periods. Not only are they more comfortable in terms of fit, I think they're less fatiguing long-term.
That being said, I'd love to see what EQ you ended up with. If I can ever get the app to see my Pros on load, I'd love to test it myself.

I got caught up the codec wars for a while, but have learned that implementation matters. AptX Adaptive is only available on limited chipsets. If your device didn't support it (and I'm pretty sure the M15 does not), then you'll revert to aptX/HD/LL anyway. My phone does provide support, but the app tends not to, and I find multiple instances of LL-Noble FalconPro in my devices list if I attempt to use the app, causing my phone to be confused about which device it needs to output signal to.
If you're using an iDevice, be happy with AAC because you don't get aptX anyway; at least the codec has been updated/optimized for the device anyway and it's similar to aptX in throughput at this point. SBC still lags the pack, though.
Long story short, the codec wars are a bit silly. Yes, there are some cases where I can detect codec artifacts (the Technics using AAC on Android was one of them), but even that can vary from device to device.
I’ll send you my settings, for the Fiio m15 with Tidal and Qobuz they both show Apt X HD on the Fiio. Apt X Adaptive just means it can switch between LL/HD/Dynamic depending on the situation, it adapts and uses what works best. Strangely with downloaded music on Fiio through the Fiio music player it just shows AptX with their symbol, so might just be standard, no idea what the symbol stands for.

Mar 20, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #30,921 of 62,419
The Noble Falcon Pro’s pick up the cymbals very well from soft to firmer hits, starting at 1:07-08. They also pick up the light clicking sound and the singers breath. The reason I’ve been a bit surprised by the hybrid design of the Falcon pro’s granted out of the box they badly need EQ. Even in stairway to heaven, Led Zeppelin remastered Flac HR they pick up him gently tapping his guitar at 16-17 seconds in, which the Sennheiser’s and Sony’s didn’t pick up at all. Cambridge are cheap, I’ll have to order one to try.

I think I heard that little tap in the right earbuds on both the freebuds pro and the MT. Was it just once or more?

Mar 20, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #30,922 of 62,419
With the update are the Cambridge Audio Apt X HD or Adaptive or only standard? After hearing the difference not sure I want to buy one with older technology. Personally don’t like ANC on most they add a static sound that I can’t stand. I switch to comply foam tips and usually block enough outside sound for me.

Just APTX but they have a higher performance mode which sounds better. They apparently have a better quality amp in them than most earbud. They definitely get louder!

Mar 20, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #30,923 of 62,419
Bought the 85t, not the 75 or G buds pro, so I’ll focus on what I have.

Yes, the Jabra has something that looks and feels like a semi on-ear, in that there is no way for me and my larger ear holes to get a seal.. and they have oval nozzles that won’t take many tips. But the eureka moment was with the MyFit with the app. It was impossible to get the L stock oval to give me passes, even with jamming it into my ear. Then, when I changed to my go-to LL silicones, it gave OKs and a great seal and sound. So based on the Jabra app, it wants a seal like an in-ear.

Yes, with the above, the ANC is *that* good. To me a hair better than Apollo Bold, and about the same as Sony XM3.

The tuning is not bass heavy like the Apollos, but the app lets you EQ them.

To me, the Jabra 85t ticks almost all the boxes. Comfort, Transparency, ANC, volume control on the IEM. Pro feel. The sound signature could be closer to the Urbanfuns, which I like.

The MT is mostly blah, to compare. updated firmware, can’t get the sub bass to sound like the XM3. They still needed a reset due to connection issue. Almost impossble to get large nonstock tips into box. Hassle to fuss with R bud to get into case. Every. Single. Time. For me, the Fiil T1XS is a similar but better. I’ll probably return the MT. Sorry, I know it gets a lot of love

Jabra is becoming my regular daily earbud.

I hope this helps.

Different ears hear different things I guess. Sony sub bass for me is non existent and its mod bass is a bit overdone and boomy. The MT have much better sub bass. You can really feel it. 85t somewhere in between.

Mar 20, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #30,925 of 62,419

I think I heard that little tap in the right earbuds on both the freebuds pro and the MT. Was it just once or more?
Once at 16-17 then again around 30. With the Sennheiser, I definitely didn’t hear it, sounds like a static noise with the Sennheiser. The Sennheiser mushes micro dynamics too much and has a strong roll off. Pleasant sound but very rolled off. My wife kept the Sennheiser because she loves electric/dance/rap/pop music. The Sennheiser replaced her Jabre 75t from last year. These are my first real go at wireless since even over ear ones I’ve tried I’ve cringed at when hearing. I’ve tried dongle plugs for my 64 Audios but the static noise is very apparent when doing that. Hoping technology keeps advancing because they really are convenient when your doing something or working out.

Mar 20, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #30,926 of 62,419
A specific information about those TWS is hard to find for most:
Which ones do have a "good" equalizer app that saves the settings in the device itself allowing you to unpair them with the smartphone then pair them to whatever device without EQ software (TV, Laptop, ...) while keeping the saved android EQ settings active ?

I use Earfun Free Pro as some test device with a PC and EQ APO/Peace GUI (they don't have an app/eq). This worked better than I expected (with up to +8dB for the 2k-4k frequencies though).
And now I am looking for higher sound quality with it's own integrated EQ but I have been googling for like 2 weeks for the JBL Club Pro+ and Cambridge MTs without finding an answer (do the EQ settings from their app stay active when pairing to a non-smartphone device ?). JBL seems to have a very good EQ while the MTs have a more limited one (not sure about the +-dB EQ range for those).

The only TWS I am quite sure that keep their custom EQ settings when switching media player are Sennheiser CX 400BT/MTW2 (but quite limited EQ) and Soundcore/Anker (not the top rated for sound but never tested myself so who knows...).

Starting to get old and developing some hearing losses does not mean you have to give up on Audiophile devices IMHO, just that you have to be more cautious with the Maximum Volume. I still love my Audeze and Hifiman headphones :)
Thank you !

JBL Sony Soundcore all have very good apps. Melomania Touch is quite good too. All make noticeable changes to the sound and are save to the earbud so will apply regardless of device connected.

Mar 20, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #30,927 of 62,419
I’ll send you my settings, for the Fiio m15 with Tidal and Qobuz they both show Apt X HD on the Fiio. Apt X Adaptive just means it can switch between LL/HD/Dynamic depending on the situation, it adapts and uses what works best. Strangely with downloaded music on Fiio through the Fiio music player it just shows AptX with their symbol, so might just be standard, no idea what the symbol stands for.
There's some extra provisions to aptX Adaptive, but it's really getting into the weeds on the white papers. Agreed that it is backwards-compatible with the codecs you mentioned. Good thing it is, because they've got some wrinkles to iron out, in my experience. I've got a set of Edifier TWS1 Pro coming in that also support Adaptive, so I'll be able to see if it's Noble's implementation or the codec just being in early phase that's the culprit.

Regarding the MT's EQ, it is limited in adjustability, but it doesn't exactly operate like a band-limited EQ would. There's some extra DSP going on in the background that sort of smooths over transitions between EQ adjustments you make it in-between each band. Honestly, it's pretty clever, and I don't mind using it. If that's not your tea, though, you can always leave it flat and make adjustments in another third-party EQ app.

Mar 20, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #30,928 of 62,419
Once at 16-17 then again around 30. With the Sennheiser, I definitely didn’t hear it, sounds like a static noise with the Sennheiser. The Sennheiser mushes micro dynamics too much and has a strong roll off. Pleasant sound but very rolled off. My wife kept the Sennheiser because she loves electric/dance/rap/pop music. The Sennheiser replaced her Jabre 75t from last year. These are my first real go at wireless since even over ear ones I’ve tried I’ve cringed at when hearing. I’ve tried dongle plugs for my 64 Audios but the static noise is very apparent when doing that. Hoping technology keeps advancing because they really are convenient when your doing something or working out.

Yes definitely heard it there and 2 more times in next 30 seconds.

Mar 20, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #30,930 of 62,419
Nice find! Takes out one more con from the list.
Fwiw, I've bought twice from their eBay store and once from them directly. Both were good experiences, but remember these will arrive without a retail box. Consider that if you have any plans to resell if they don't suit your tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back