Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 10, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #30,451 of 62,439
Glad you like them. One of the reasons I ended up getting the Jabra 85t is that Bose said in their forums that they can’t do dual Bluetooth connections because of the hardware they choose. I therefore doubt they can make switching easier.

It is a pity since everyone tells me they have the best ANC in TWS so still may get them if the price here drops to something reasonable (it was $425 last time I looked).
Sony is another idea as well if you want really good ANC. Though I don't know how well the multi-connection is. If you're in the Apple ecosystem the APP would be an obvious choice.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #30,452 of 62,439
Glad you like them. One of the reasons I ended up getting the Jabra 85t is that Bose said in their forums that they can’t do dual Bluetooth connections because of the hardware they choose. I therefore doubt they can make switching easier.

It is a pity since everyone tells me they have the best ANC in TWS so still may get them if the price here drops to something reasonable (it was $425 last time I looked).
Technics' ANC is pretty stellar as well. I've been thoroughly impressed at how many household sounds it eliminates...not masks...eliminates. Pretty fun to be standing right next to a running dryer and watch it go from full whirr to nothing at the touch of a button. At least then you might be able to get it shipped from Japan vice the USA...could be cheaper in the end.

I know it doesn't have the dual-connection piece of the 85t, but I've found that to be more of a hindrance than a help. Even after adding the Link 380, when multiple things start trying to play on top of each other (i.e. getting a phone call while in the middle of a conference call). Instead, the Technics can just disconnect/reconnect directly from the new host device and it's almost just as fast. Granted, you've already picked up the 85t, but others might appreciate the info as well.

Can't speak on the Sony. I could never push myself to get them, even after prices started dropping. Maybe once the BX does another price drop and it truly goes <$200.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #30,453 of 62,439
Once I tried Moondrop Starfield, I decided to ditch TWS altogether. The Starfields are better than any TWS earphone I've heard, including the very enjoyable and well-reviewed Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 and Lypertek Tevi.

I've decided that I'll use some $50 and under TWS Chi-fi buds for podcasts and calls while doing chores. But if I'm listening to music, which I usually do while relaxing and not working, then sound quality is paramount. And the Starfield proved to me again that wired IEMs still sound better than TWS earphones at the same price point and often above.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #30,454 of 62,439
Once I tried Moondrop Starfield, I decided to ditch TWS altogether. The Starfields are better than any TWS earphone I've heard, including the very enjoyable and well-reviewed Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 and Lypertek Tevi.

I've decided that I'll use some $50 and under TWS Chi-fi buds for podcasts and calls while doing chores. But if I'm listening to music, which I usually do while relaxing and not working, then sound quality is paramount. And the Starfield proved to me again that wired IEMs still sound better than TWS earphones at the same price point and often above.

Congrats? That's the whole thing about TWS, you sacrifice a bit of SQ for convinence and portability.

However there are a few TWS that punches way above it's price tag, like the Melomania Touch.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #30,455 of 62,439

No matter how good the Starfield (or any other IEM for that matter) sounds, I can never ignore:
  • The cord wrapped around my ears
  • The knowledge that I'm tethered to another device
  • Maintenance of multiple connection points
  • Finding good device "synergy" because impedance can be a real pain sometimes, especially with Chi-Fi equipment
And that's coming from someone who served 12 years and had plenty of problem when trying to do things like clean a bilge with a wired set. Younger, dumber me thought there was no issue doing that with a set of Shure SE530 and I had to field-medic those things ten ways east of Sunday.

Moral of the story is there's a use case for both, and it seems like every 100 posts or so that someone else comes in and says "TWS Bad, IEM Good" rather than even attempt to keep things within the context of the thread title.

Are we there yet? I'd argue yes. Bluetooth protocols have significantly bridged the gap in wired/wireless throughput since even aptX was initially announced. Both major players and boutique brands have functional, successful, quality-built products (with some exceptions in the mix) that we get the privilege of talking about on here, whenever we want. aptX Adaptive-capable sets are beginning to roll out. HiBy's even willing to step outside of the mainstream and worked on their own Hi-Res-capable BT protocol.

It's an exciting time for TWS.

Mar 10, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #30,456 of 62,439
Frankly, it's a sort of personal taste, but I don't find Moondrop better than Melomania Touch. They sound different but Touch (and M1 also) sound exceptionally good, even compared to some wired (hifiman re600, that went for 400 $ when launched, and Soundmagic e80). M1 almost made me want to sell my Plenue M1, so good as they are. I didn't sell it, because for some critical listening I just got Final Audio A4000.
But surely I will never bring it with me on the go or on vacation. M1 and MT are so good it's my portable setup now. Plus, there's the convenience of having all my collection always with me (uapp+ vpn+nas)

Mar 10, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #30,457 of 62,439
Congrats? That's the whole thing about TWS, you sacrifice a bit of SQ for convinence and portability.

However there are a few TWS that punches way above it's price tag, like the Melomania Touch.
True. I haven't tried the Touch, as I'm waiting for more steady confirmation that firmware updates have fixed the myriad connectivity problems upon release. The Melomania 1's sound terrific for $100, but not as good as the Starfield's at $109.

Guess I'll just tuck the wire under my shirt, for now. Maybe I'll pick up a Moondrop wireless cable or go for the Melomania 1's or Touch's down the line.
No matter how good the Starfield (or any other IEM for that matter) sounds, I can never ignore:
  • Finding good device "synergy" because impedance can be a real pain sometimes, especially with Chi-Fi equipment
And that's coming from someone who served 12 years and had plenty of problem when trying to do things like clean a bilge with a wired set. Younger, dumber me thought there was no issue doing that with a set of Shure SE530 and I had to field-medic those things ten ways east of Sunday.

Moral of the story is there's a use case for both, and it seems like every 100 posts or so that someone else comes in and says "TWS Bad, IEM Good" rather than even attempt to keep things within the context of the thread title.

Are we there yet? I'd argue yes. Bluetooth protocols have significantly bridged the gap in wired/wireless throughput since even aptX was initially announced. Both major players and boutique brands have functional, successful, quality-built products (with some exceptions in the mix) that we get the privilege of talking about on here, whenever we want. aptX Adaptive-capable sets are beginning to roll out. HiBy's even willing to step outside of the mainstream and worked on their own Hi-Res-capable BT protocol.

I never said, "TWS bad; IEM good." I said I have decided I'm using TWS only for podcasts during chores and using wired -- whether IEM or over-ear -- for musical enjoyment since the sound quality is better to me.

No question TWS has drastically improved in quality over the past years, and the use cases for TWS continue to grow by the day. I've enjoyed many of the TWS I've tried in the last six months, a number that's approaching double digits. But for me, I'm willing to live with a wire to get better sound quality at a comparable price.

That's it.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #30,458 of 62,439
I never said, "TWS bad; IEM good." I said I have decided I'm using TWS only for podcasts during chores and using wired -- whether IEM or over-ear -- for musical enjoyment since the sound quality is better to me.
That's fair and I'm sorry if I came across a little heated. I'm definitely into the double digits at this point as well and have seen a steady evolution across the board. Perhaps you won't find your stunner at the $100 price point, but it's all a game of economics and asking a manufacturer to more or less eat the cost of the added complexity in design a TWS provides over a wired pair seemed a little silly.

In this regard, I think the MT and Starfield are probably more direct competitors than you'd think; once you factor in what the BT, app development, and case design ran, Cambridge probably spent about as much on raw hardware as Moondrop did. Yes, there are a good amount of pairs that significantly trail the pack, but the margin is very close now.

Mar 10, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #30,459 of 62,439

I would agree with almost everything you said, except.... I would argue that TWS aren't there yet, wireless is closer, but still NOT quite... I DO like where the prices of TWS is heading. It's more affordable than when there were only a few names out there, but the sound quality is just not close (if I'm to be honest). There are a lot of "great" sounding TWS out there, but they really can't compare to a good set of IEMs. This is not really a fair statement though, because (normally) you would need to pay a large amount to get a set that are THAT noticeably better (leaving out some of the great Chi-fi stuff like Tin Hifi P1 <heavenly sound>). The sound is good, just not as refined. I AM pretty spoiled though, listening to audiophile grade headphones destroys one's ability to go back to something like "Skullcandy" LOL.

On the wireless front, though I have to do some serious critical listening to hear a difference sometimes. I have a set of Hifiman Deva, and I CAN hear a difference between wired and BT, but I gotta' say, it is not large at all, and might even just be the different coloring added by the amp of my DAP as opposed to the BT amp/DAC.

BUT.... I am not complaining about TWS (yet), and am content to keep trying new ones until I find some I REALLY like. I say not yet, because if the industry becomes stagnant and decides they are good enough, THEN I will complain... :L3000:

On a shocking front, I have found a new winner for me (outta' the ones I have so far). You won't believe it, but it is actually the Hifiman TWS600. I can see now why they were originally $199 (since dropped all the way to $50). They have the capability/technicalities to be amazing sounding, just not out of the box. Out of the box they are SOOOO mid forwards that the upper mids (especially female vocals and high males) not only dominate all, but are shrill to the point of pain.

Now, I have been able to EQ that part down and they do sound good, but I tried something new the other day, and now they are absolutely amazing. Yeah ya' have to work at it a bit to get them there, but for $50..... Anyhow, I have used Neutron for a while now, but didn't realize it had something called Auto-EQ. I found there was a profile for the TWS600 and downloaded it. They sound terrific (for those that like the Harmon curve), but I wasn't done there. When a headphone/IEM has well textured and refined bass, I DO like to beef it up a bit, and I always like more treble (it brings out details if it is well implemented on the driver), so in addition to the profile, I set up the following on a 10 band EQ (in Neutron player):
  • 31HZ = +10db
  • 62Hz = +5db
  • 125Hz = +2db
The rest at 0 until you get to:
  • 8K = +4db
  • 16K = +7db
It is not as much of a V as you might think because of the mid forward presentation of the TWS600 already. If you are using android and don't want to pay for the Neutron app, you can install an app called Wavelet, which has the same profiles for free. You can pay to unlock the rest of the functions, but they aren't very good. This app is system wide, so you can set "Auto-EQ" and it will work with any app (that I have come across), then use whatever EQ besides that you want to. I haven't found a profile for Nuarl or MT yet, but I am sure there will be one at some point.

Sorry to run on so long, just thought I would share...

Mar 10, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #30,460 of 62,439
Headphones.com just dropped a comparison review between all the Samsung Galaxy Buds, Buds+, and Pro.

Mar 10, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #30,461 of 62,439
On a shocking front, I have found a new winner for me (outta' the ones I have so far). You won't believe it, but it is actually the Hifiman TWS600. I can see now why they were originally $199 (since dropped all the way to $50). They have the capability/technicalities to be amazing sounding, just not out of the box. Out of the box they are SOOOO mid forwards that the upper mids (especially female vocals and high males) not only dominate all, but are shrill to the point of pain.

Now, I have been able to EQ that part down and they do sound good, but I tried something new the other day, and now they are absolutely amazing. Yeah ya' have to work at it a bit to get them there, but for $50..... Anyhow, I have used Neutron for a while now, but didn't realize it had something called Auto-EQ. I found there was a profile for the TWS600 and downloaded it. They sound terrific (for those that like the Harmon curve), but I wasn't done there. When a headphone/IEM has well textured and refined bass, I DO like to beef it up a bit, and I always like more treble (it brings out details if it is well implemented on the driver), so in addition to the profile, I set up the following on a 10 band EQ (in Neutron player):
  • 31HZ = +10db
  • 62Hz = +5db
  • 125Hz = +2db
The rest at 0 until you get to:
  • 8K = +4db
  • 16K = +7db
It is not as much of a V as you might think because of the mid forward presentation of the TWS600 already. If you are using android and don't want to pay for the Neutron app, you can install an app called Wavelet, which has the same profiles for free. You can pay to unlock the rest of the functions, but they aren't very good. This app is system wide, so you can set "Auto-EQ" and it will work with any app (that I have come across), then use whatever EQ besides that you want to. I haven't found a profile for Nuarl or MT yet, but I am sure there will be one at some point.

Sorry to run on so long, just thought I would share...
Sounds very similar to initial impressions I had with the Technics, but you put them into words better than I could. At least they've managed to mellow out after a day or two and I think using a PEEK diaphragm, coated or otherwise, might have been part of the reason why. I can now run them with stock tips and no EQ without the same sibilance issues I had on Day 1.

Wish I could get behind the Hifiman, but I've had so many build quality issues with that brand that it's hard to plunk down more change for it. I'm really surprised my third-hand HE-400i haven't suffered from the broken yoke issue, but my RE-400 went kaput after only a week or two of commuting (terrible joint construction for all the insulated wire ends). Positively love their double-flange tips, though. Managed to keep my set even though the earbuds are long gone.

Unfortunately, they're wiped out on the manufacturer's website for that $50 deal or I might have just ordered anyway. Looks like Audio46 has them for $100, but I'm really apprehensive to pull the trigger even at that price.

On another note: the Final TWS tips I ordered from MTMTaudio apparently ship from Portland OR, not Hong Kong (major plus). Hopefully I'll get them by Monday. Weather isn't too fun on the west coast today, so I'm not too optimistic USPS is going to go the extra mile on this one.

I did buy Neutron, by the way. Nice companion to UAPP since it's still being squirrely with volume control on almost all of the TWS pairs. How did you figure out the Auto-EQ?

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #30,462 of 62,439
Technics' ANC is pretty stellar as well. I've been thoroughly impressed at how many household sounds it eliminates...not masks...eliminates. Pretty fun to be standing right next to a running dryer and watch it go from full whirr to nothing at the touch of a button. At least then you might be able to get it shipped from Japan vice the USA...could be cheaper in the end.

I know it doesn't have the dual-connection piece of the 85t, but I've found that to be more of a hindrance than a help. Even after adding the Link 380, when multiple things start trying to play on top of each other (i.e. getting a phone call while in the middle of a conference call). Instead, the Technics can just disconnect/reconnect directly from the new host device and it's almost just as fast. Granted, you've already picked up the 85t, but others might appreciate the info as well.

Can't speak on the Sony. I could never push myself to get them, even after prices started dropping. Maybe once the BX does another price drop and it truly goes <$200.

Sony XM3 ANC is killer. Like you to turn it on a!d whoosh sounds disappear. Other buds just sort of take some of the noise away.
I really do like the overall sound of Sony and prefer the treble to the MT.

Overall I think I love the JBL sound best overall across widest range of music. Just wish I would have a more secure fit as they are the least secure between them Sony MT and sennheisers.

Heard the cp1025 Spinfit meant for airpods pro are a good option for them.
Gonna try. If that works think the other buds all go back including the MT.
They are that good sounding.
The MT just have that locked in fit though worse passive isolation .

Mar 10, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #30,463 of 62,439
Sounds very similar to initial impressions I had with the Technics, but you put them into words better than I could. At least they've managed to mellow out after a day or two and I think using a PEEK diaphragm, coated or otherwise, might have been part of the reason why. I can now run them with stock tips and no EQ without the same sibilance issues I had on Day 1.

Wish I could get behind the Hifiman, but I've had so many build quality issues with that brand that it's hard to plunk down more change for it. I'm really surprised my third-hand HE-400i haven't suffered from the broken yoke issue, but my RE-400 went kaput after only a week or two of commuting (terrible joint construction for all the insulated wire ends). Positively love their double-flange tips, though. Managed to keep my set even though the earbuds are long gone.

Unfortunately, they're wiped out on the manufacturer's website for that $50 deal or I might have just ordered anyway. Looks like Audio46 has them for $100, but I'm really apprehensive to pull the trigger even at that price.

On another note: the Final TWS tips I ordered from MTMTaudio apparently ship from Portland OR, not Hong Kong (major plus). Hopefully I'll get them by Monday. Weather isn't too fun on the west coast today, so I'm not too optimistic USPS is going to go the extra mile on this one.
I'll never go back to wired. I tried, but always come back to my TWS. I've tried most, if not all of the high end TWS and have so many that to my ears sound just as good as all the wired I've owned over the years. The tech just keeps getting better. I also can't spend on cheap chi-fi anymore. I'm always disappointed by build quality. I know most, if not all, are assembled in China, but I have no problem spending on the bigger brands. Just one man's opinion. I have the M1+ and the new Libratone Air+ on the way this week. Fingers crossed. Also, can't stop emailing Devialet every other day about the date for the Gemini re-release. I miss them every day they're gone.

Mar 10, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #30,464 of 62,439

I haven't rules out the Technics yet, but I am awaiting more stories about them. The one common thing I have read about them that is a deal breaker for me is the constant battery drain. My Bose Soundsport Free have done that since day one, and Bose has NOT fixed them in all that time. Glad to know they sound good to ya' though. Please keep us updated as/when you find something new, break-in better, etc...

Yeah, I have read a great many horror stories about the QC of Hifiman, but to be honest, I have not had any issues whatsoever. I have the HE400S (updated version 3.5 plugs), the Deva I mentioned earlier, and the TWS600. Maybe I have been lucky, but of the stories I have read, I haven't read about any issues with those three that I own (only by happenstance, not purposeful).

Knowing what I now know, I STILL wouldn't hesitate to buy them for $100. Think of it this way, all the others you buy have to be tuned to your ear anyhow. Well so do these, and I would argue that the technicalities of the driver blow a lot of other TWS out there, out of the water. But I digress, because this is all just my opinion. I WOULD like to try the TWS800 too, but I have read good AND bad things about them, and for the price, I want to make damn sure I will like them... :)

OOH! let us know when you get them and test them out, I am curious to know about them, as I think the Final E tip work on more of my IEMs/TWS than any others commonly do.

Mar 10, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #30,465 of 62,439
Just wish I would have a more secure fit as they are the least secure between them Sony MT and sennheisers.
Did you try inserting the JBLs similar to IEMs (aka pulling back on your ear to straighten the canal on insertion)? The JBLs have had the most IEM-like fit of all the TWS I own; everything else seems to favor a shallower insertion and once the JBLs are in, they're locked for me. Worth looking into.
I'll never go back to wired. I tried, but always come back to my TWS. I've tried most, if not all of the high end TWS and have so many that to my ears sound just as good as all the wired I've owned over the years. The tech just keeps getting better. I also can't spend on cheap chi-fi anymore. I'm always disappointed by build quality. I know most, if not all, are assembled in China, but I have no problem spending on the bigger brands. Just one man's opinion. I have the M1+ and the new Libratone Air+ on the way this week. Fingers crossed. Also, can't stop emailing Devialet every other day about the date for the Gemini re-release. I miss them every day they're gone.
I can share your sentiment. As I speak, my 6XX, iSine 10, Mobius, Aeon Flow Closed (v1), and LCD-2C are all staring me in the face, collecting dust. Are all of them technically better performers than my TWS? Arguably, yes. They're just nowhere near as day-to-day usable as the TWS have been. When you have two children and a never-ending "honey-do" list, you really don't get the ability to sit down and enjoy music...ever.

At this rate, the "only" pairs I have still on their way are the Edifier TWS1 Pro (shipping from China), Status Between Pro, and Noble Falcon Pro. Edifier's shipping from China, NFPs just cleared NY customs this morning, and the Status aren't estimated to arrive until April. Curious to see impressions on what you're waiting on. Maybe I'll finally have enough of a lull between "new" pairs to be able to submit my Q30 impressions to Soundcore :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back