Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 3, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #30,031 of 62,483
I’m a big fan of Custom 2 above. It is a nice improvement over the “Balanced” EQ - still punchy, but with more clarity and top-end sparkle.

Also, I am using the Final Audio Type E True Wireless tips (wider bore and shorter stem) and they work great with the Melomania Touch:
https://www.mtmtaudio.com/products/...-for-true-wireless-bluetooth-earphone-2-pairs
I made a mistake and saw these on amazon for good price but was not the tws version. I wonder if the only difference is stem length? If so can stems be trimmed?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #30,032 of 62,483
I’m a big fan of Custom 2 above. It is a nice improvement over the “Balanced” EQ - still punchy, but with more clarity and top-end sparkle.

Also, I am using the Final Audio Type E True Wireless tips (wider bore and shorter stem) and they work great with the Melomania Touch:
https://www.mtmtaudio.com/products/...-for-true-wireless-bluetooth-earphone-2-pairs
I was looking to order those type e tips for tws. Are they more comfortable than MT's default ones? Can you please give a basic comparison of the two??

Mar 3, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #30,033 of 62,483
I made a mistake and saw these on zone for good price but was not the tws version. I wonder if the only difference is stem length? If so can stems be trimmed?
I don't think so. You would probably have to cut some of the bore too. Cutting would probably also change the sound quality a bit.

I emailed final company a few weeks ago and they told me those will be coming to Amazon soon. I'm waiting until they come on Amazon.

Mar 3, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #30,034 of 62,483
I was looking to order those type e tips for tws. Are they more comfortable than MT's default ones? Can you please give a basic comparison of the two??

Unfortunately, I can’t give a good comparison because even the largest tips that came with the Melomania Touch did not form a seal with my ears. However, the Final Audio tips in extra large form a great seal, are very comfortable, and sound balanced to my ears.

Here’s a review of the Final Audio tips (will need to be translated from Japanese): https://kajetblog.com/type-e-tws/

Here’s another great article comparing various tips, including the Final Audios:
https://www.audioreviews.org/guide-to-iem-silicone-eartips/

Note that these tips are quite a bit different from the standard Type Es - they have the same ribbed core, but the stem is much shorter and the bore is a lot wider than the standards.

Mar 3, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #30,035 of 62,483

Thanks! I tried to keep the changes relatively subtle.

Good news is that, so long as you view each of the MT's EQ sliders as fixing a "region" vs a specific frequency, I think you'll really get the hang of taking care of bad recordings. More than once, I had to drop one of the sliders a notch from where I thought it needed to be because something got shouty.

Mar 3, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #30,036 of 62,483
Been listening to the JBL Club Pro Plus for a while now plus threw on the MTW2's for some comparisons. The Club Pro Plus sound real good. A little EQ and they sound as good as the MTW2's to my average ears. I feel like they have just a tad more sub-bass presence but when I throw on the MTW2's it gets really hard to tell if that is the case at all. Both a lot of fun to listen to.

With my Google Pixel 5 I have to keep both the Senns and JBL's at 90-100% volume to keep me happy. I like my music loud. I wish both had more headroom. I have absolute volume turned off in developer options.

The JBL case is so small it's impressive. Wish it had the fabric on the outside like the Senn case, just easier to grab onto and less slippery, but the size is great.

It's somewhat easier to use the touch controls on the Senns as they have that one big circular platform to touch, whereas the JBL surface area is smaller and has a more angular design around the touchable area.

Both isolate well passively. Both are very easy to insert and stay in your ear well.

Gesture customization is superior on the MTW2's, but the JBL is still good.

The bummer is that the JBL's ANC lowers the volume by a noticeable chunk. I rarely use ANC so this is not a dealbreaker but I do certainly hope this can be fixed via firmware. This was both before and after the firmware update to 4.5 and then after a soft reset. I chatted with JBL support and they had no real solution.
I feel the same. I wish my Jabra Elite Active 75t was a tad more louder. Do you keep absolute volume turned off for this reason and do you see a difference in loudness with it on and off? I guess I can try to do the same with my Galaxy Note 20 Ultra.

Mar 3, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #30,037 of 62,483
For the owners of MT, do your buds deplete battery at the same rate for both sides, or does one of them deplete faster than the other one?

Mar 3, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #30,038 of 62,483
For the owners of MT, do your buds deplete battery at the same rate for both sides, or does one of them deplete faster than the other one?
The one connected to the phone depletes faster because it is doing 2-way communications with the phone and the other earbud. Once the battery equilibrium gets too extreme, the connected earbud switches. That has been my experience. Just give it 2-3 seconds to switch buds automatically.

Mar 3, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #30,039 of 62,483
I feel the same. I wish my Jabra Elite Active 75t was a tad more louder. Do you keep absolute volume turned off for this reason and do you see a difference in loudness with it on and off? I guess I can try to do the same with my Galaxy Note 20 Ultra.
If you boost with eq the jbl get very loud. If your eq settings are near 0db try moving the same shape we up about 3db. Unlike Sennheiser the music is amplified rather than just equalized. They are now just a hair behind the Sony which seem to be loudest for me.
85talso got loud.

Mar 3, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #30,040 of 62,483
Mar 3, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #30,041 of 62,483
I dip in and out of this thread a lot and wow you guys go through some earbuds, I love it .
I keep putting off buying some as every time I come on here there seems to be a new different bud available, but I now need to take the plunge as I need some for my walking.
I have narrowed it down to the Sony WFX, Jabra Elite 85t, JBL Pro Plus or the Senn MW2.
I have the Sony over ears WHXM2 and I love the sound of these , I have to give the treble a bit of a boost in the app for my preferences . They are bassy I think compared to what I am used to but I kind of like that when outdoors. So its tempting to just go with Sony, however I am keen to hear opinions off more experienced TW users.

The other option is just go for a cheaper Tozo NC9 for now as at £43 I have nothing to lose.........this would maybe be a temporary option to see how much I would use TW earbuds.
Any opinions on any of the above would be useful
I have both the WH1000XM2 and the WF1000XM3 and feel that they definitely share a similar sound characteristic. I personally love both these headphones and the WF's are amongst my favourite TWS - I don't use EQ as I really like their default profile. I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones as I always get a really good fit with them as well.

Whilst I think that the best sounding wireless setup for me are the iBasso IT00/CF01 combination, the Sony's are not that far behind. I hope this helps.

Mar 3, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #30,042 of 62,483
They can differ by a couple percent, but should track pretty well with each other. It's part of the TWS+ standard; there is a designated primary, which is usually either the first bud paired or the first one connected after pulling them out of the case.

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #30,043 of 62,483
Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #30,044 of 62,483
Unfortunately, I can’t give a good comparison because even the largest tips that came with the Melomania Touch did not form a seal with my ears. However, the Final Audio tips in extra large form a great seal, are very comfortable, and sound balanced to my ears.

Here’s a review of the Final Audio tips (will need to be translated from Japanese): https://kajetblog.com/type-e-tws/

Here’s another great article comparing various tips, including the Final Audios:
https://www.audioreviews.org/guide-to-iem-silicone-eartips/

Note that these tips are quite a bit different from the standard Type Es - they have the same ribbed core, but the stem is much shorter and the bore is a lot wider than the standards.
I suspected MT's large may not be large enough for some people with big ears.

Until I got to MT, all my eartips were medium for every earbud I tried. I have average ear size but only large would fit with MT. I don't know if other MT users had same issue, but maybe my ears are bigger than average person? I've no clue.

I read both those reviews before emailing Final because I was interested. Just checked Amazon - it's not up yet. MTMT sends them from Hong Kong so I don't know if I feel comfortable ordering from there. I don't quite know if I would want to get large or medium either :/

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #30,045 of 62,483
I suspected MT's large may not be large enough for some people with big ears.

Until I got to MT, all my eartips were medium for every earbud I tried. I have average ear size but only large would fit with MT. I don't know if other MT users had same issue, but maybe my ears are bigger than average person? I've no clue.

I read both those reviews before emailing Final because I was interested. Just checked Amazon - it's not up yet. MTMT sends them from Hong Kong so I don't know if I feel comfortable ordering from there. I don't quite know if I would want to get large or medium either :/
Did you check Audio46? I know they have a set of Final tips with bore adapters. Don't think they're TWS-specific, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back