Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 24, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #29,611 of 62,574
Can the CX 400 be eqed to have a similar sparkle in the highs that the MTW1 has? That reason is primarily why i'm selling my MTW2. They just need a bit more treble imo.

No idea, I only owned the MTW1 for some weeks before I got sick of the battery drain issue, but the CX400 should sound the same as the MTW2.

Feb 24, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #29,612 of 62,574
Jabra 85T just arrived. Managed to snag this thanks to another user's mention of Jabra selling refurbished pairs of the 75t and 85t for basement pricing. They did take a while to ship due to the storms, but got across the country (and into my ears) in record time.

Setup process was so much easier this time around. Everything connects. Everything fits. The app works. Multipoint works (the buds even tell you how many devices you have connected). Passthrough works well enough and these really have no differential pressure on either side of the bud...that's pretty nifty. There's definitely a noticeable difference between each of the 3 sound isolation modes, though I prefer leaving it in HearThrough at medium settings for comfort's sake. You really can forget these things are in, but in a different sense than the UEs...those are still the reigning champions of "disappearing TWS" in my book.

I'm a good way off from being able to make impressions on the sound quality. I feel like, based on what I'm hearing, anything I write about now is going to change anyway.

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #29,613 of 62,574
Oh crap, I just realized that the UTWS 3 doesn't have a customizable EQ at all, it's just 3 presets :frowning2:
Android + the Neutralizer app?

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #29,614 of 62,574
Android + the Neutralizer app?

On Android a full EQ is possible. Though the downside of using system EQ vs a BT one is that if you switch headphones, you'll have to undo it. I was hoping that I could EQ my Nightingale with the UTWS3, but it doesn't look like it'll be possible and I'll have to stick with the Fiio LCBT2 with it. My Euclid don't need EQ, they're actually extremely well tuned out of the box.

All this said, I'm also on iOS running Apple Music which makes EQing much harder in general.

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #29,615 of 62,574
Can the CX 400 be eqed to have a similar sparkle in the highs that the MTW1 has? That reason is primarily why i'm selling my MTW2. They just need a bit more treble imo.
You use the same sennheiser app with both so you get access to the same equalizer in there.

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #29,616 of 62,574
I just received the Sennheiser CX400, considering you're only paying 99 EUR I can't give them anything other than a 5/5, they sound as good as the MTW2 for a fraction of the price. I actually like the case of the CX400 more than the MTW2, it's smaller (thus tiny bit worst battery life) and I'm no fan of the fabric of the MTW2.

However I do really miss Ambient Mode... If only they could have included this feature, I value it much more than ANC.

Thinking of ordering the Melomania Touch for comparison, 40 EUR extra for a bit more feature, sound-wise I don't espect a huge difference.
Do you have comfort issues?? I found them uncomfortable and returned after a month. I found Sony xm3 and melomania touch to be much more comfortable

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #29,617 of 62,574
Jabra 85T just arrived. Managed to snag this thanks to another user's mention of Jabra selling refurbished pairs of the 75t and 85t for basement pricing. They did take a while to ship due to the storms, but got across the country (and into my ears) in record time.

Setup process was so much easier this time around. Everything connects. Everything fits. The app works. Multipoint works (the buds even tell you how many devices you have connected). Passthrough works well enough and these really have no differential pressure on either side of the bud...that's pretty nifty. There's definitely a noticeable difference between each of the 3 sound isolation modes, though I prefer leaving it in HearThrough at medium settings for comfort's sake. You really can forget these things are in, but in a different sense than the UEs...those are still the reigning champions of "disappearing TWS" in my book.

I'm a good way off from being able to make impressions on the sound quality. I feel like, based on what I'm hearing, anything I write about now is going to change anyway.

Personally I’m a big fan of Jabra. Not because the SQ is that exceptional it’s more so for the ease of use. Everything works as it should and they are reliable and sound very good with some tweaks. The user experience is very good, especially nowadays while working from home and many people look for a set of TWS for calls and music.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #29,618 of 62,574
Personally I’m a big fan of Jabra. Not because the SQ is that exceptional it’s more so for the ease of use. Everything works as it should and they are reliable and sound very good with some tweaks. The user experience is very good, especially nowadays while working from home and many people look for a set of TWS for calls and music.
I can wholeheartedly agree with you based on the past couple hours' worth of experience. In terms of raw practicality, the 85t have easily taken the cake. What sealed the deal for me was having a Skype call with my manager (who was mowing the lawn on their end) and me running one of those robotic vacuum cleaners on mine. We were both using Jabras and couldn't hear anything but each others' voices. Now I'm really tempted to grab the USB dongle that allows for improved computer call quality to see how much better they can get.

And I agree with you on them not having exceptional EQ. It's been playing the whole FR pretty well during this demo playlist and they're not fatiguing, but nothing's really stuck out to me like on some of my other top picks. I was going to completely write off the M&Ds until I heard the brass section come in on Mae's (m) (a) (e) EP. For what it's worth, that's been one stellar album for testing headphones. Lots of fun little audio tricks and lots of nuances in the recording.

Feb 24, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #29,619 of 62,574
JBL's Tour Series headphones will hit the market later in the year, with the JBL Tour Pro Plus available in black at major retailers and on JBL.com on May 30 for $200.

Key specs, according to JBL:

6.8mm dynamic driversAdaptive Noise Canceling
Six hours of battery with active noise canceling on, eight hours with Bluetooth onlySpeed Charge (10 minutes of charging gets you an hour of playback)Adaptive Ambient Aware and TalkThruVoice Clarity with three-mic beamforming array technologyDual Connect + Sync and Fast PairHands-free voice capability with Amazon Alexa and Google AssistantIPX4 sweatproofSilentNow and My AlarmSmart Audio & Video, optimized for listening to music versus a movieCustomized tap panel controlCheck My Best Fit feature lets you check your ear fit with the companion appJBL Headphones App to customize EQ settingsPrice: $200

This the announcement for the newer JBL model coming in May. Outside of silent now and my alarm nothing listed is absent on the club pro plus. The club pro plus has a different bud shape and adds some custom DJ EQ.
I just recieved the Edifier X5 TWS today....i need a little time to break them in, but very initial impressions is they are close to the X3 in sound quality but a little harsher and not as smooth. But here's the deal, I got them on Amazon onsale Tuesday for $29 with a -$10 coupon so they were only $19!!! Bro, for $19 these are a steal!!!!

Feb 24, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #29,620 of 62,574

I really liked the Jabras as an overall performer. I just couldn't get a fit in my ears that sealed perfectly when lying down causing sound to get tinny. Rest of time I found the treble a bit too rolled off for my taste. And my goal was to get best sounding earbuds first .
If I needed one for calls and good overall package though they are great choice.
My other issue with multipoint was that when I had it paired to multiple things often the audio was playing from the wrong device.
Also my iPad would have audio dropout every 30 seconds if it was connected to my phone as well. This would go away of I disconnected my phone. This made the multipoint not useful for me.
YMMV.
I think if and when so.e custom oval tips with wax guards come out these will be good.

Feb 24, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #29,621 of 62,574
Here is my collection of great TWS in order of sound quality from my opinion

Currently reviewing the Edifier X5 right now

1. EarFun Free Pro -best all around sound signature -Smooth v shape with good detail
2. Edifier X3 - Best sounding vs price performance TWS on market period. These rival the Earfun Pro and may actually have better layering and space between instruments
3. Fiil T1XS- Loudest TWS (but you have to max the volume in the app first) and most flexible EQ options. Very good all around detail
4. MW 07 Go- Nice sounding rich sound. Price is no longer attractive considering what you can get cheaper above
5. Edifier TWS1 - Very good all around sound but doesnt have the texture detail and vocal forwardness of it cheaper brother, the X3
6. Enacfire Air - Clean all around airy sound. Not as loud and impactful as the hard hitting buds in my top 3
7. Senheisser Momentum (version 1) -These were very dissapointing when compared to the top 3. They lacked the bass response and their treble detail was terrible. very very overrated TWS earbuds that have used their strong audiophile history to fool many in the TWS market. I actually returned these even when I got them on the recent Amazon sale of $100. They failed every musical type of head to head battle against the top 3 and their quirky EQ app couldnt salvage them.
8. Enacfire E18 One of my first TWS, very mediocre, ok in a pinch, no bass, a bit harsh on the timbre
9. Geekee Pro - very cheap gaming website recommended TWS buds. Overemphasized bass and muddy mids & high. only in desperation would i use again

Feb 24, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #29,622 of 62,574
Qualcomm doesn’t yet provide ambient mode as a standard built-in feature for their Bluetooth audio chips and reference designs, so it’s additional development work to integrate it, which I’m pretty sure that very few brands have the expertise to do (see: Fostex TM2, which has a half-baked implementation of it. Haven’t tried the Shures, but my hopes aren’t high for those either).

Yep, even Fiio is bad with software and need fixes on most releases even though mostly DAP's which are a more complicated thing. Though the latest UTWS3 had an early issue that needed correction as well. At least they were able to give it 26 volume steps instead of the usual 15/16. Fostex never lowering the price nor making any real fixes should be ashamed of themselves. I can see charging what they did at first cause they were all alone, not that I would pay $300, but now they should have a better price and done some tweaking to it. Shure also had an issue but addressed it and started selling again but they don't incorporate volume control so they need to keep working on it. TWS adapters are like this thread when it first started... Are we there yet? The answer is NO. :)

Get off tomorrow and gonna test the AT out at the park maybe some wind tests, maybe how the ANC drowns out basketball dribbling and out and about more. Again, you can't tell in pics but...
IMG_1544.JPG
Love the size of the Victor and had posted that they were smaller than anything else I had. Had this pic vs. some...
IMG_1482.JPG
Have to add the stem but the AT housings are smaller and shallower fitting. They really did much better than the CKR7TW and CKS5TW big ass clunkers. By the time these come to the states these should be long term tested to see how they hold up.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #29,623 of 62,574
Do you have comfort issues?? I found them uncomfortable and returned after a month. I found Sony xm3 and melomania touch to be much more comfortable

They do look kinda bulky on the outside, but I haven't got any issues with comfort.

I rarely have comfort issues with IEMs tho.

About the Jabras, I really liked how well polished everything was... But they really fell short because of 2 reasons.

1. You can't use your own eartips, with Sennheiser (among others) this is never a problem since the cases are designed with that in mind.

2. The limitations of SBC, they sound ok when you're using your phone.

However since there's no Aptx you're stuck with SBC when using it with your Pc. Thus making the multipoint ability kinda useless, at least for my taste.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #29,624 of 62,574
So the Ikko OH10 Obsidian will work with the 2-pin UTWS3 then? (I've got a real nice offer, seconhand bought in January)

ikko-obsidian-oh10-hybrid-in-ear-monitor-iem-dynamic-and-balanced-armature.jpg

I may take back what I said earlier. No guarantee that they will fit on something that protrudes out like that. There are a few connectors that do this. Sennheiser uses a different plug that also protrudes out and a 2-pin definitely wouldn’t fit into there at all. So I can’t guarantee that a standard 2-pin (flush) plug will go into those.

Feb 25, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #29,625 of 62,574
Continuing my quest for Low Latency TWS (and not necessarily those that have aptX LL - since there's really only two such models), I wound up giving the Jabees Firefly Vintage a shot. Got it on sale w/10% off and given the features touted aside from the LL (that is not hardware/software dependent): aptX, AAC, BT 5.2, Noise Canceling (though I'm not sure if this is just for calls) and Transparency mode, wireless charging and even an app (though I haven't been able to get it working) I figured it was worth a shot. Very initial zero burn-in impressions is that these are quite good sounding with very crisp treble and elevated bass (teensy bit bloated but gives it a fun profile). Will need more time with it and formulate a way to measure the latency empirically. More to come...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back