Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 21, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #29,477 of 62,460
Neat song, I actually hear that cymbal more clearly on the AZ70 but I know what you mean regarding the 1000XM3 as it also has great clarity while having more warmth. The contrast is interesting because the 1000XM3 is more lush with thee piano sounding darker and the vocals being more rich, everything a bit more intimate. The AZ70 on the other hand has a brighter piano and more airy sound with vocals slightly higher pitched and detailed. They are both distinctly different and yet both sound cohesive and whole to my ears.

The AZ70 represent the best of a mid treble centric signature with tight but deep bass and the 1000XM3 represents the best of a bass mid centric sound with excellent treble extension. Both avoiding the the pitfalls of those signatures. Ie the AZ70 avoids sibilance and the 1000XM3 avoids being overly dark and losing detail.

But given only one choice for the song I prefer the 1000XM3 because the piano just has that extra decay and vitality plus the vocals have a bit more authority.
I don’t have the technics anymore to test with that song. But those cymbals have best detail and clarity on the Sony and buds pro.
overall however I am enjoying the sound on the Sony and JBL a lot. The Samsung’s I like too but the treble end of spectrum is a bit much. Opposite of what the jabra was for me. Sennheiser and those 2 are best overall sounding for me. mTW2 are warmer overall and a bit more laid back but with best soundstage. JBL more neutral but has such eq you can tailor sound the most. Sony is unique in that it is a bit warm like the Jabra but the bass doesn’t overwhelm the kids and the treble is very good.

Going to be hard deciding on one to keep. I will Decide between Sony and jbl as they both are 100 to 130 cheaper than the MTW2 and the money saved can pay for the CX400 model to still give me the sennheiser sound but without features.

This will maybe come down to things like comfort fit and ANC ambient modes as the JBL and Sony sound are very close and each has some features that are better.

Feb 21, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #29,478 of 62,460
I'm beginning to think that I'm the only one who consistently gets a good fit with the Sony WF1000XM3's. I absolutely love these headphones - and still feel that they're amongst the best TWS of there.

I also have the Apollo Bold's, Lypertek Tevi, Mavin Air-X and the iBasso CF01/IT00 combo (which sound utterly superb by the way).

The anc on the Sony's works brilliantly when it comes to filtering out the traffic noise outside my window and doesn't have any significant effect on the sound quality.

For late night listening at very low volume levels I use the Apollo's as they're excellent for low volume listening (anc turned off as it introduces additional noise). I personally think that these are the best sounding headphones I've ever heard when it comes to listening at very low volume levels.

I also have the WH1000XM2 full size headphones which I also love their sound quality and character - I guess I'm a Sony fanboy.
Which tips you using on the Sony. I am finding fit and comfort much better than when I first got them. Just don’t think I would exercise with them given no ip rating and their bulk will lead to them moving more in my ears than a lighter earbud or one with stability wing.

Feb 21, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #29,479 of 62,460
I laugh when I see courier complaints. I live in Canada and even in major cities we live with courier issues at least several times a year. I live in Calgary which is close to one of the Amazon's warehouses and we suddenly can get same day or next delivery something unheard of 3 years ago. I am used to waiting 7 - 10 days and even then having delays outside of the couriers notices. In Canada we just expect it and realize it's not something the seller can control. Oh and did I mention it is crazy expensive to boot! Especially if I as an individual want to ship something to someone. Hell when I sell something through the sales forums I often lose $20 in shipping costs alone... I sent a headphone to someone down in the states and paid almost $100 in shipping and that was just to the US! The only good news in that instance is the customer insisted on UPS and wanted extra careful packaging ($1000 wood headphone...) So we split the cost of shipping.

Bottom line is frustration about shipping is universal and it's as frustrating for the seller as it is for the buyer LOL.
I hear ya. the problems for me come up because i'm on the boarder of 3 cities. Now i know that for certain sites i have to use 1 address, for UPS 1 for fedex another etc. Some of them are better at managing the madness than others lol.

Feb 21, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #29,480 of 62,460
The Melomania Touch is back on Amazon U>S. Could have been for a while but i haven't looked recently with all the issues. has anyone bought or repurchased them? debating on giving them a shot.

Feb 21, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #29,481 of 62,460
Have spent the past week with a set of TWS

Grado GT200
Sennheiser Momentum 2
Ultimate Ear Fits
Cambridge Audio Melomania
Noble Audio Falcon Pro
Sony WF 1000XM3*
Master Dynamics TW07 Plus*
(*Had to stop using due to fit issues)

Have other TWS like Samsung Buds Pro, Pixel, Huawei Freebuds 3 Pro but consider these more for work and have a little of other non music related features

Just to share

Sound Ranking

1- Grado
2- Cambridge Audio (Latest FW)
3-UE Fits (latest FW)
4- MTW2
5- Noble
6-MD
7 Sony

Just created a a Playlist with mixture of music from different Genres, including from the 70's heavy in guitars to Hip Hop. Placed it on shuffle play as I wanted to avoid bias and was looking for no doubt instruments, punch but also not having to use eq or adjust sound. Use at 50% and stock Tuning (no eq). Noble was bass was strong but was present in all tunes so it became a bit much, but with 2 BAs it did well with Highs and mids

Comfort and Stability

1- Cambridge
2- UE Fits
3-MTW2 and Grado
4- Noble
5- MD
6-Sony

Walking, normal jog , jumping and mat type exercises

App

1-Cambridge
2-MTW2
3- Noble
4- UE
5-Sony
Grado has no app

Ease of use, features, eq and some other basics like FW updates

Best Battery Performance and Connection Speed to Phone

1- Cambridge (beast)
2- Grado ( no app allows for reduce battery consumption)
3-MTW2
4-UE Fits
5-Sony and MD
6- Noble (painful)

How quick it connected after taking out of case and how long It took me to get 50% and 25%

Controls TWS

1-Cambridge
2-Grado
3- MTW2
4-UE Fits
5-Noble
6-MD
7-Sony

I was looking at accuracy for changing songs,, pause /play,play, while walking. Some TWS like UE Fits is limited on controls.Cambridge was best as I think they used a larger sensor and TWS surface could not be missed even if jogging

Price vs Performance

1-Cambridge
2- Grado
3- MTW2
4-UE Fits
5- MD
6-Sony
7- Noble

The biggest discovery for me during the evaluation was the Cambridge Audio Melomania, wow!!!!!

Haven't tried some of those but disagree on battery life which is great on Sony's. You must have used with DSEE on which cuts battery in half and doesn't add anything if the source material is good enough.

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #29,482 of 62,460
I'm beginning to think that I'm the only one who consistently gets a good fit with the Sony WF1000XM3's. I absolutely love these headphones - and still feel that they're amongst the best TWS of there.

I also have the Apollo Bold's, Lypertek Tevi, Mavin Air-X and the iBasso CF01/IT00 combo (which sound utterly superb by the way).

The anc on the Sony's works brilliantly when it comes to filtering out the traffic noise outside my window and doesn't have any significant effect on the sound quality.

For late night listening at very low volume levels I use the Apollo's as they're excellent for low volume listening (anc turned off as it introduces additional noise). I personally think that these are the best sounding headphones I've ever heard when it comes to listening at very low volume levels.

I also have the WH1000XM2 full size headphones which I also love their sound quality and character - I guess I'm a Sony fanboy.
I agree with you, I love everything with the XM3S. They are still my favorite of everything I have. I use the Xelastec eartips with XM3 and they never fall out or move.

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #29,484 of 62,460
Just got my Edifier X3. Really like build quality. Much better than TWS1. With stock tips it's too offensive, too bright. Tried with chinese foams - much better, full sound without sharp highs, but it's not comfortable to me. Then I tried Thomson Hed16. Excellent comfortable, full sound with a little too sharp highs, but acceptable. Really like it for 25 bucks.

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #29,486 of 62,460
Which tips you using on the Sony. I am finding fit and comfort much better than when I first got them. Just don’t think I would exercise with them given no ip rating and their bulk will lead to them moving more in my ears than a lighter earbud or one with stability wing.
I'm using the stock tips (silicone) as they have a deeper insertion depth. I normally get the best results from triple flange tips on other IEM's.

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #29,487 of 62,460
Have spent the past week with a set of TWS

Grado GT200
Sennheiser Momentum 2
Ultimate Ear Fits
Cambridge Audio Melomania
Noble Audio Falcon Pro
Sony WF 1000XM3*
Master Dynamics TW07 Plus*
(*Had to stop using due to fit issues)

Have other TWS like Samsung Buds Pro, Pixel, Huawei Freebuds 3 Pro but consider these more for work and have a little of other non music related features

Just to share

Sound Ranking

1- Grado
2- Cambridge Audio (Latest FW)
3-UE Fits (latest FW)
4- MTW2
5- Noble
6-MD
7 Sony

Just created a a Playlist with mixture of music from different Genres, including from the 70's heavy in guitars to Hip Hop. Placed it on shuffle play as I wanted to avoid bias and was looking for no doubt instruments, punch but also not having to use eq or adjust sound. Use at 50% and stock Tuning (no eq). Noble was bass was strong but was present in all tunes so it became a bit much, but with 2 BAs it did well with Highs and mids

Comfort and Stability

1- Cambridge
2- UE Fits
3-MTW2 and Grado
4- Noble
5- MD
6-Sony

Walking, normal jog , jumping and mat type exercises

App

1-Cambridge
2-MTW2
3- Noble
4- UE
5-Sony
Grado has no app

Ease of use, features, eq and some other basics like FW updates

Best Battery Performance and Connection Speed to Phone

1- Cambridge (beast)
2- Grado ( no app allows for reduce battery consumption)
3-MTW2
4-UE Fits
5-Sony and MD
6- Noble (painful)

How quick it connected after taking out of case and how long It took me to get 50% and 25%

Controls TWS

1-Cambridge
2-Grado
3- MTW2
4-UE Fits
5-Noble
6-MD
7-Sony

I was looking at accuracy for changing songs,, pause /play,play, while walking. Some TWS like UE Fits is limited on controls.Cambridge was best as I think they used a larger sensor and TWS surface could not be missed even if jogging

Price vs Performance

1-Cambridge
2- Grado
3- MTW2
4-UE Fits
5- MD
6-Sony
7- Noble

The biggest discovery for me during the evaluation was the Cambridge Audio Melomania, wow!!!!!

16138841054231337384680460890668.jpg

Great post. Thanks for this.

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #29,488 of 62,460
It's like KZ madness all over again. GAD (do we have an acronym for that in the TWS space yet?) is in full effect.........

UE Fits on order
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #29,489 of 62,460
Haven't tried some of those but disagree on battery life which is great on Sony's. You must have used with DSEE on which cuts battery in half and doesn't add anything if the source material is good enough.
The battery life as I ranked them, do not mean they are terrible, just that the other models have managed a larger battery or the power usage is much more efficient. The Sony's are using an architecture that is 3 years old .

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #29,490 of 62,460
Did they fix the connection issues with a firmware? (3 of 5 stars at What Hifi because of bad connection)
Of course there's no place to buy the Melomania Touch here in Norway...(not possible to buy from Amazon either (us/uk))
I read some reviews that had connection issues, not all onbny end. However I always update the FW prior to any use. My biggest connection issues were with the Noble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back