Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 9, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #28,246 of 62,418
Touch is getting frustrating. Took them out of the case and only left side connected. I put them back in the case, took them out but again only left side connected. I unpaired them in Bluetooth settings. I held down both earbuds for 10secs to reset them while in the case and got them paired. Unfortunately, right side wouldn't connect. I reset them again but still right side won't connect. I put them back in the case, closed it and took them out again. This time, same issue - melomania app shows only the left earbud. I became so frustrated that I just went to the Sony xm3, which connected instantly and currently using the Sony.

I am thinking of giving up on the Touch.. Now I realize why several of you returned them. This is aggravating, but I will try couple more days to give it my all before giving up. All I want to do is listen to my music - it's not worth the frustration.

it’s a real shame that I had to return mine, sound was pretty decent. But going back to the XM3, I realise now I can live with their fit, the sound and hassle free connection is just great. Hoping the XM4 are announced soon at CES 🤞 if Sony change the fit to be more like Melomania Touch, then that’s all I need, as I’ve not heard anything that is as good as the ANC on the XM3.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #28,247 of 62,418
Sending the Melomanias back as well, after just about 24hrs of having them. Why you may ask? Here is why:

I liked: Imaging, separation, comfort (!) and fit

Did not like: Timbre, bass quantity and the narrowish soundstage

Neutral: Touch and pairing worked ok but not as easy as Air Pod Pros

No-Gos: Too silent when calling someone (people can barely hear you)

For some reason to my ears (with smaller tips than i would normally use) the Airpods soundstage is huge, almost like an open back headphone. Going to the Melomanias therefore sounded disappointing right away. The dominant bass gives them a darkish sound signature that just doesn't go along with my studio headphones and speakers. Maybe i was expecting too much? If these are among the top tiers for true wireless in ears it's disappointing. Of course it's a matter of preference and i do enjoy the neutralish (boring) Air Pod Pros alot more but they too lack refinement (detail retrieval, treble and so on) while still being a much much better product. Too bad :sweat:

I bought them from Cambridge Audios Marketplace on Amazon Germany on the 1. of January btw. As of now they are not available anymore. Cambridge Audio probably knows why ...

Jan 9, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #28,248 of 62,418
This experience is similar to the Devialet Gemini. Trying to figure out how connection problems are still a thing in 2021. I would think any off the shelf chipset should solve this but I guess not.

Jan 9, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #28,249 of 62,418
This experience is similar to the Devialet Gemini. Trying to figure out how connection problems are still a thing in 2021. I would think any off the shelf chipset should solve this but I guess not.
Same here. I’m still holding on to the Gemini in the hope they will fix things as the sound is great, but my main driver is the 85t - everything just works there.

Jan 9, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #28,250 of 62,418
Thank you for your reply !

In your opinion, which between QC, MTW2 and Technics seems the best compromise ?
The sound quality seems very slightly better on the MTW2 and Technics but the isolation is much better on the Bose.
Really depends on your needs. Nice had no built in EQ. So if you don't like the tuning it is not as easy to EQ. How important is ANC? Battery life? Wireless charging?
Sounds wise haven't heard those 2 as I feel the price is too steep for me for a product I will likely upgrade in 2 years max.

Jan 9, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #28,251 of 62,418
Same here. I’m still holding on to the Gemini in the hope they will fix things as the sound is great, but my main driver is the 85t - everything just works there.
I’ll be waiting until the 59th day to decide. They definitely need to fix it. Never had this issue with the big manufacturers like Bose, Sony etc. Even the chifi do not have this issue.

Jan 9, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #28,252 of 62,418
The ANC is so bad on the MTW2, I cannot imagine any reason to buy the MTW2 over the CX400. It's worthless. That makes the CX400 a steal at $130 assuming it sounds exactly the same as the MTW2.
The ANC on my MTW2 was underwhelming until the firmware update in october i believe it was. now it's much improoved, to at least be in the same conversation with the Technics, 85T and QC earbuds. high end tuning makes a miniscule difference to my ears. I still prefer my eqed tuning of OG MTW.

Jan 9, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #28,253 of 62,418
I’ll be waiting until the 59th day to decide. They definitely need to fix it. Never had this issue with the big manufacturers like Bose, Sony etc. Even the chifi do not have this issue.
My issue is that the 85t fit me so well. They do not sound bad either. I can wear them all day with no discomfort- I never managed to get that with my Andromedas...

Jan 9, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #28,254 of 62,418
The ANC on my MTW2 was underwhelming until the firmware update in october i believe it was. now it's much improoved, to at least be in the same conversation with the Technics, 85T and QC earbuds. high end tuning makes a miniscule difference to my ears. I still prefer my eqed tuning of OG MTW.
QC? Really? Mine are not even close to that.

Jan 9, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #28,255 of 62,418
QC? Really? Mine are not even close to that.
The QC are better over all to my ears, as they block a wider range of sound, but the MTW2 does well blocking low rumbling sounds for the limited times i've been out and about or over Christmas when i traveled etc.

Jan 9, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #28,256 of 62,418
I received the EarFun Pro's a few weeks back and so far my only gripe with them has been that no matter which tips I use, they keep doing the slow slide out. Are there any recommendations for tips for this TWS that could fix that issue?

Jan 9, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #28,257 of 62,418
it’s a real shame that I had to return mine, sound was pretty decent. But going back to the XM3, I realise now I can live with their fit, the sound and hassle free connection is just great. Hoping the XM4 are announced soon at CES 🤞 if Sony change the fit to be more like Melomania Touch, then that’s all I need, as I’ve not heard anything that is as good as the ANC on the XM3.

I posted this elsewhere but I love the Sony except for the huge size and lack of ipx4. Touch has everything I want including perfect size and ipx4. Just the damn connection issue is driving me nuts since yesterday.

I might have to suck up the large size. Ipx4 I really don't need since I won't be taking them outside, but I worry about sweat.

Jan 9, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #28,258 of 62,418
I received the EarFun Pro's a few weeks back and so far my only gripe with them has been that no matter which tips I use, they keep doing the slow slide out. Are there any recommendations for tips for this TWS that could fix that issue?

Azla Xelastec should take care of that.

Jan 9, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #28,259 of 62,418
I posted this elsewhere but I love the Sony except for the huge size and lack of ipx4. Touch has everything I want including perfect size and ipx4. Just the damn connection issue is driving me nuts since yesterday.

I might have to suck up the large size. Ipx4 I really don't need since I won't be taking them outside, but I worry about sweat.

I was never worried about the lack of an IP rating with the Sonys, I’ve had them since they first came out and I’ve ran in them a few times, went to the gym, in light rain and never once had an issue, it’s just the fit for me could be more comfy like the Touch - which I think are perfect.

I saw that Sony dropped some new home speakers today out the blue so hopefully the XM4 are incoming!

Jan 9, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #28,260 of 62,418
Kudos to Cambridge Audio for their decent customer service though with handling the return. They refunded me when the item was scanned at the drop off point and without them receiving it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back