Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 6, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #28,142 of 62,140
The sound quality offered here for the price charged is remarkable. Just listened to Massive Attack’s Blue Lines album, the bass is really well done, top notch 👍 Also, In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins is fantastic.

Definitely best pair out there on the market if you’re not interested in or need ANC. Still have issues with pairing, bit fiddly and slightly annoying coming from the Sony’s and AirPods Pro (they just work, hassle free connection).

If you want a better user experience and sound quality and an all round package, the Sony are still the ones to go for IMO. But these aren’t too far behind.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #28,143 of 62,140
I ordered them directly from the CA website two days ago. Free shipping. Waiting...

Yea I tried that as well, but can't get past checkout... :/

I've never before seen that you gotta type a postal code for your credit card... I tried my postal code to no luck.

Edit: Worked with PayPal tho

Now that Brexit has finally been delivered, is there any risk of any addiotnal import fees when ordering from CA to mainland Europe? I saw that I paid for VAT, so I should be fine right?

If you want a better user experience and sound quality and an all round package, the Sony are still the ones to go for IMO.

The Sony's are just a No-go for me personally because of their huge case...

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #28,144 of 62,140
Due out on the 20th of january...
https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/earbuds/sport-open-earbuds.html

1609937602933.png

1609937721843.png

Of course I am interested in this sort of thing but BOSE is almost going backwards here. Case doesn't charge so you need the base to charge. So, no auto on but not sure I actually don't mind that but separating charge and case is not ideal. Still no volume control. Still no aptx or adaptive. No blue color which would be nice. Would be nice if BOSE was innovative but they are kinda primitive so $200 is pricey. Due to having some Christmas gifts card balance left I could still be on board to try one out :)

Back Bay Audio with a new sports model as well.
https://www.backbaybrand.com/collections/frontpage/products/runner-60-2
Think they are $40 but not sure why. Rather they were $50 or $55 or even $59 and give them ambient and their good EQ presets instead of just a bass boost. Seem to sound good and have wireless charging, plenty of battery and the right control scheme along with light weight and comfort.

A brand I thought can do good things and want to see what they can do with a higher level offering but they just stay cheap and simple.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #28,145 of 62,140
Cross posting from the Oppo Enco X thread.

I have purchased Oppo Enco X to compare with Sennheiser Momentum TW 2. I like what I hear a lot! Dual driver design clearly beats single DD. SW and ANC could be better but sound wise I prefer Oppo over Sennheiser based on day1 side by side comparison with Tidal as source.

Crisp highs and powerfull bass. Clearly V-shaped but I like it. Momentum TW2 sounds muffled in comparison due to lack of BA for the highs.
Medium soundstage stage but good detailes. Out of memory very similar to Freebuds Pro from Huawei which I liked a lot too but I stayed with Momentum TW2 due to comfort.
ANC is very limited, that is probably why you will find a lot of returns at Amazon Warehouse.

For my taste the only better TWS/Neckbands are from Sony, WI-1000XM2 is currently unmatched in SQ due to dual-driver design, broad soundstage and LDAC support. But they suffer from significan microphonics.

I grabbed Airpods Pro from my wife and also did side-by-side comparison using my Samsung Fold2. Not sure if this is the combo of Android and Airpods but they are completely unenjoayable. Mids focused with recessed bass. Same track with Oppos and I just need to nod my head in tact of a nice bass beat.
I just reordered Freebuds Pro and expect Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch to arrive tomorrow and will try to do a high end TWS comparison for you guys. I am also planning to test new Galaxy Buds Pro as soon as they are available.

I will use Sony IER-Z1R hanging on Shanling MW100 as a reference. It's a pity they are so heavy and uncomfortable on the go, otherwise I would completely ignore the TWS form-factor.

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #28,147 of 62,140
Really frustrated with the Jabra 85t s. On paper they blow away the 75s, larger driver, hybrid mics, wireless charging,etc. To my layman ears I just can’t see it. It’s like everything they did has a drawback. For example the oval shape is uncomfortable, they lack the balance and pitch adjustability option for ANC, the case is larger for chi charging, they pop and crackle between mode changes. It’s like they are half baked, future updates might help the later. I can look past all that if the sound just blew me away but it doesn’t. I only perceive a slightly wider soundstage and a little more detail. I just can’t justify the cost.
Anyone else feel this way?
Will I just got these and all demoing them against the Technics, the 75t, the XM3,1more,L2P and Gbuds+.

I think many of your sound complaints were fixed in firmware.

So far the sound is really quite good. Compared to 75t, the sound stage is wider and the sound is more open. For those that like bass there is still more than most other buds and have EQ'd it down a bit from flat. It is less booking and tighter than 75t.
The nuts are more prominent than 75t as well.
The ANC is quite good . With no music on my bathroom ceiling fan which is quite loud was totally eliminated. The don't was almost as good.

They are quite comfortable.My only issue so far is that the for is shallower and different then other buds. Very comfortable but feels like even on larger that the fit is not as tight as with 75t for example. Not sure if this by design. Will have to test if these come loose with exercise. I have found 1 want supplier of an after market foam tips that are 20$but that is my only concern now is the fit.

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #28,148 of 62,140
Argh thought I found the perfect headphones > jbl club pro+ tws

But the foam ear tipsfrom comply and others means they dont fit in the case and dont charge!!

Anyone have any ideas or can recomend a similar pair of a headphones. I have already tried the other famous IEMs and getting desparate.

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #28,149 of 62,140
Hello
I am new to this tws
And I would like hear your suggestions?
I prefer hybrid drivers design and sound quality and fit
ANC is not important
I would suggest the L2Ps. They're hybrid and have an EQ in the app so you can easily tune them. They do stick out of the ears, but otherwise are very comfortable. They fit well with the hybrid sound signature, which I also am a fan of.

Jan 6, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #28,150 of 62,140
Received this email from Cambridge Audio support this morning. As noted, I have not have a lot of issues so far, but it looks like they are going to try hard to fix issues. Not sure how they released them if these are a problem for new users, but my needs are limited so I am happy, the sound is great. The one thing I am not happy about is it says to charge the "earphones via a USB power source for at least 20 minutes before using them." What does that indicate? I keep them in the case all the time, but does that mean I need to charge the case for 20 minutes? I need to investigate. That is a crazy issue, no?

Dear owner,

Thank you for purchasing our Melomania Touch earphones. We’re excited that you are one of the first to own them.

We’re also completely committed to your satisfaction - it’s extremely important to us that you enjoy these earphones, so we constantly seek feedback on what can be improved, and we’re here should you need any help.

Since the launch of Melomania Touch we’ve become aware of a few things that we could have done better and apologise if your user experience has been less than perfect. Learning from initial feedback, we have come up with some tips which may ease possible frustration.

To improve your product as time goes on, we will make regular firmware updates, so check the Melomania App and update your firmware to enjoy these ongoing enhancements and bug fixes. For some users, updating firmware or changing Audio Mode can require one or more attempts if the Bluetooth connection isn’t completely stable. If this happens, check the earphones are still connected in your phone’s Bluetooth settings and try again. We’re actively working on a firmware fix that will ensure a seamless experience first time, every time.

Please charge your earphones via a USB power source for at least 20 mins before using them.

It may take a few seconds to connect fully, so if you feel the need to press “Refresh” on the app it may help to wait a little.

Also, and importantly, we want to clarify the procedure for properly pairing Melomania Touch. The way our True Wireless technology works means that both earbuds should appear in your Bluetooth device list, but this isn’t obvious unless you know about it. We suggest following these steps to be sure:

1. Take the earbuds out of the charging case and ensure they are powered on. If not, touch the outer surface until they turn on (the voice prompt will say “Power on” and the LED will flash white).
  1. Touch and keep your finger on the outer surface of both earphones, one at a time is fine, until they are waiting to pair (the voice prompt will say “Waiting to pair” and the LED will flash blue and white alternately).
  1. Look for available Bluetooth devices on your phone or laptop and you’ll see Melomania Touch L and Melomania Touch R. Select either of these and they should pair and connect. You’ll then see a pop-up message asking you to pair the other earphone, accept this.
  1. Now, in your Bluetooth device list, you will see one Melomania earphone connected and the list of paired devices.
  1. You can now use the Melomania App to further customise your listening experience.

If you encounter any hiccups, please place the earbuds back in the case for a few seconds, and take them back out. This allows them to reset their connection (just be patient for a few seconds while they reconnect fully).

Again, thank you for choosing Cambridge Audio. We hope you enjoy your new earphones and are here to help, should you need us, please see our Melo FAQs here or contact us at melomania@cambridgeaudio.com.

Jan 6, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #28,151 of 62,140
Due out on the 20th of january...
https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/earbuds/sport-open-earbuds.html
1609937602933.png
1609937721843.png
Of course I am interested in this sort of thing but BOSE is almost going backwards here. Case doesn't charge so you need the base to charge. So, no auto on but not sure I actually don't mind that but separating charge and case is not ideal. Still no volume control. Still no aptx or adaptive. No blue color which would be nice. Would be nice if BOSE was innovative but they are kinda primitive so $200 is pricey. Due to having some Christmas gifts card balance left I could still be on board to try one out :)

Back Bay Audio with a new sports model as well.
https://www.backbaybrand.com/collections/frontpage/products/runner-60-2
Think they are $40 but not sure why. Rather they were $50 or $55 or even $59 and give them ambient and their good EQ presets instead of just a bass boost. Seem to sound good and have wireless charging, plenty of battery and the right control scheme along with light weight and comfort.

A brand I thought can do good things and want to see what they can do with a higher level offering but they just stay cheap and simple.

Bose is a ripoff imo.. Sony has them beat across the board.

Jan 6, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #28,153 of 62,140
Received this email from Cambridge Audio support this morning. As noted, I have not have a lot of issues so far, but it looks like they are going to try hard to fix issues. Not sure how they released them if these are a problem for new users, but my needs are limited so I am happy, the sound is great. The one thing I am not happy about is it says to charge the "earphones via a USB power source for at least 20 minutes before using them." What does that indicate? I keep them in the case all the time, but does that mean I need to charge the case for 20 minutes? I need to investigate. That is a crazy issue, no?

Dear owner,

Thank you for purchasing our Melomania Touch earphones. We’re excited that you are one of the first to own them.

We’re also completely committed to your satisfaction - it’s extremely important to us that you enjoy these earphones, so we constantly seek feedback on what can be improved, and we’re here should you need any help.

Since the launch of Melomania Touch we’ve become aware of a few things that we could have done better and apologise if your user experience has been less than perfect. Learning from initial feedback, we have come up with some tips which may ease possible frustration.

To improve your product as time goes on, we will make regular firmware updates, so check the Melomania App and update your firmware to enjoy these ongoing enhancements and bug fixes. For some users, updating firmware or changing Audio Mode can require one or more attempts if the Bluetooth connection isn’t completely stable. If this happens, check the earphones are still connected in your phone’s Bluetooth settings and try again. We’re actively working on a firmware fix that will ensure a seamless experience first time, every time.

Please charge your earphones via a USB power source for at least 20 mins before using them.

It may take a few seconds to connect fully, so if you feel the need to press “Refresh” on the app it may help to wait a little.

Also, and importantly, we want to clarify the procedure for properly pairing Melomania Touch. The way our True Wireless technology works means that both earbuds should appear in your Bluetooth device list, but this isn’t obvious unless you know about it. We suggest following these steps to be sure:

1. Take the earbuds out of the charging case and ensure they are powered on. If not, touch the outer surface until they turn on (the voice prompt will say “Power on” and the LED will flash white).
  2. Touch and keep your finger on the outer surface of both earphones, one at a time is fine, until they are waiting to pair (the voice prompt will say “Waiting to pair” and the LED will flash blue and white alternately).
  3. Look for available Bluetooth devices on your phone or laptop and you’ll see Melomania Touch L and Melomania Touch R. Select either of these and they should pair and connect. You’ll then see a pop-up message asking you to pair the other earphone, accept this.
  4. Now, in your Bluetooth device list, you will see one Melomania earphone connected and the list of paired devices.
  5. You can now use the Melomania App to further customise your listening experience.

If you encounter any hiccups, please place the earbuds back in the case for a few seconds, and take them back out. This allows them to reset their connection (just be patient for a few seconds while they reconnect fully).

Again, thank you for choosing Cambridge Audio. We hope you enjoy your new earphones and are here to help, should you need us, please see our Melo FAQs here or contact us at melomania@cambridgeaudio.com.

My understanding is that they are saying to charge for 20mins when you open them up for the very first time. I am guessing they don't ship them from the factory fully charged so you have to charge them for very first use.

I got mine so will try them later tonight.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #28,154 of 62,140
The one thing I am not happy about is it says to charge the "earphones via a USB power source for at least 20 minutes before using them." What does that indicate? I keep them in the case all the time, but does that mean I need to charge the case for 20 minutes? I need to investigate. That is a crazy issue, no?

I believe it's a syntax issue in that they left off the part in bold "Please charge your earphones via a USB power source for at least 20 mins before using them for the first time". Many electronics will have this language in the manual to reduce false positives that an item is defective as opposed to just out of battery.

While I don't own the Melomania Touch, I believe its charging circuity behaves the way many other TWS does in that it keeps the earbuds fully charged when they're in the case provided that the case itself has sufficient charge - else, once the case goes dead and power is not detected by the buds, they'll turn on automatically (like they do when they are removed from the case). Once the case itself is fully charged it should have sufficient capacity for multiple charges of the buds so you don't need to "charge the buds for 20 minutes" before each use.

Of course, for your own peace of mind, you may wish to get this clarified by their support team.

Jan 6, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #28,155 of 62,140
I believe it's a syntax issue in that they left off the part in bold "Please charge your earphones via a USB power source for at least 20 mins before using them for the first time". Many electronics will have this language in the manual to reduce false positives that an item is defective as opposed to just out of battery.

While I don't own the Melomania Touch, I believe its charging circuity behaves the way many other TWS does in that it keeps the earbuds fully charged when they're in the case provided that the case itself has sufficient charge - else, once the case goes dead and power is not detected by the buds, they'll turn on automatically (like they do when they are removed from the case). Once the case itself is fully charged it should have sufficient capacity for multiple charges of the buds so you don't need to "charge the buds for 20 minutes" before each use.

Of course, for your own peace of mind, you may wish to get this clarified by their support team.

Bolded section depends on the the bud's that you're using. If your buds do have power buttons, then they'll likely stay off rather than powering on, but won't turn on automatically when removed from the case. The fact that the buds don't power on automatically should signal the user that the case is dead too. If no power button exists, then yeah, they'll likely power on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back