Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 30, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #28,006 of 62,423
I agree but perhaps they are trying to sell with their brand name. Moondrop obviously got quite a following and have a good name in the audiophile world nowadays. Maybe it's a model to test the waters. I am not trying to defend their product. Just guessing what can be their reason to release this product.

I have no idea what they are thinking with that marketing. Yikes. Moondrop makes some nice iems but these look like a joke.

Dec 30, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #28,007 of 62,423
Dec 30, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #28,008 of 62,423
Problem solved with dsee off. With dsee, nc, and equalizer, I got bit over 2.5hrs. I turned off dsee and nc off, battery life went down to like only 68% in 3hrs of use. Definitely muuuuuch better than before.

Now comes the hard part.. These sound awesome. Even without aptx, these have lower latency than the sennheiser in my estimation. Sony sound almost as good except in soundstage. Just have to EQ them to sound great, meanwhile sennheiser are great out of the box. Will do more in depth comparison.

I also loved sound. What I didn't love was stock tips didn't fit. I couldn't control ANC/Ambient from buds without giving up volume control or track control.
No sweat or water resistance meaning can't use these for workouts. At that point might as well just use my L2P which sound as good

Dec 30, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #28,009 of 62,423
I'm also really excited about these. On the Anker forum on Reddit a moderator suggests these are the Liberty 2 Pro's with ANC. I suppose they could have the L2P's Coaxial Acoustic Architecture, but in a different form factor (better for phone calls) and with ANC -- that would work for me. Soundcore has a good record of punching above their weight (price-wise). They're spending a lot building up excitement for these. The big reveal is January 12 at noon eastern time.

Nah, they said "Liberty Air 2 Pro (ANC)".

https://www.reddit.com/r/anker/comm...?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #28,010 of 62,423
You're right. I'm still hoping that the "2 Pro" portion of the moniker indicates they have similar technology to the Liberty 2 Pro, in addition to ANC. It looks like they'll have a stem form factor like the Liberty Air 2, so they should be great for calls -- although I'm hoping the stems are a bit shorter, as with the APP or the Libratone Air+. I guess we'll know in a couple weeks.

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #28,011 of 62,423
I also loved sound. What I didn't love was stock tips didn't fit. I couldn't control ANC/Ambient from buds without giving up volume control or track control.
No sweat or water resistance meaning can't use these for workouts. At that point might as well just use my L2P which sound as good

Tbh I find them more comfortable than the cx400bt and technics AZ70. I will try the included foam tips to see how they feel.

I'm really considering keeping these and returning the cx400bt, but crap, I don't know what to do. I began writing up a review comparison and I realized I like these a lot. I think I like these more than the AZ70 and maybe even the cx400bt. I think cx400bt have better Soundstage and slightly smoother highs, but Sony is equal everywhere else (comfort is big for me too). I had to lower the bass a notch and may lower the highs a bit to get more neutral sound I prefer, but boy am I confused.. If I had the money, I would keep both, but I just can't afford to keep both (sucks to be poor! Lol). One of them has to go back end of next week. I will also be adding the British melomania touch into the mix next week.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #28,012 of 62,423
You really think the AZ70 sounded better than upper-mid end full wired headphones?? Guessing you are referring to the MDR-Z7. I have listened to the Sony MDR-1A before. I don't remember the sound, but I remember being amazed. The MDR-Z7 is a whole step above the MDR1A afaik. Not saying I disagree because I don't know - I'm taking your word for it.

I would probably compare the MDR1A/Sony Z7 to my HD600 or DT880, but Bluetooth.. I don't know man, I don't know. I listened to the Technics & liked them a lot especially the neutral sound quality, but I didn't think to compare it to something high end like the HD600 (DT880 is not very neutral and probably not great comparison). I didn't think it would be a fair comparison.
Those are great questions and observations. So here's the thing. In regards to total detail retrieval all 4 of the wired headphones are better. In terms of sound stage they are also better. But in terms of total sound sub-bass to treble they all fall short. None of the 4 mentioned have as deep a sub-bass, 3 out of the 4 have a mid-bass hump, one is a bass light headphone.

The Z7 is an amazing headphone but it lacks sparkle and is on the darker side sound wise. But has a very good sound stage.

The Night Hawk has an even bigger sound stage with amazing 3D qualities. But is designed with a very specific philosophy regarding how music should be heard. Truth be told if a person just listened to them and allows themselves to get adjusted to the sound they are amazing. But I have to have something for portable use so I find it hard to stay in their groove.

The HE400i is an amazing brighter headphone with super speed and detail and is completely open back like the HD600. So its great in quiet environments but poor in a busy house. It also lacks big bass.

The M100 Master is something I am reviewing as part of a loaner program from Vmoda. So I can only give initial impressions. It has the largest mid-bass hump of all the headphones and is more midrange centric giving it lots of warmth but not a dark signature. Its treble is slightly rolled off but still has good detail.

The AZ70 on the other hand has most of the attributes of the HE400i in regards to tonality coupled with the ability to go deep and have warmth only when present in the song. So listening to In the Evening by Led Zeppelin the bass drone at the start of the song was fully present but not overly accentuated and the rest of the song has a typical brightness to it as Led Zeppelin preferred. Similarly the song Cornfield Chase had a bit of sub-bass rumble but the rest of the song was nimbly played.

BTW every "reason" why I like the AZ70 over the other headphones are 100% subjective and could be the very reason to like one of the other headphones more. There is nothing wrong with a dark or warm sounding headphone I just currently love a brighter sound. The odds are at some point I will want a darker sound and then I will grab one of these headphones and kick back and just enjoy :).

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #28,013 of 62,423
I agree but perhaps they are trying to sell with their brand name. Moondrop obviously got quite a following and have a good name in the audiophile world nowadays. Maybe it's a model to test the waters. I am not trying to defend their product. Just guessing what can be their reason to release this product.

I agree it is Moondrop so people should buy it sort of thing. For their fans more than the TWS crowd in here.

Another oddity is ONKYO having TCL OEM them a set. Now a $60 off coupon which may just make them easier to take a flyer on. https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-TCL...rue+wireless+earphones&qid=1609365855&sr=8-12
1609366173449.png

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #28,015 of 62,423
Dec 30, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #28,016 of 62,423
For those with Sony wf-1000xm3, are the eartips, which have the colored stems, foam? The color-less stem eartips are silicone? Or do I have it backwards? Or are they all silicone across the board?

It's not very clear to me. I can probably dig through the manual, but thought I would ask here for quick response.

Edit: The colored stemmed eartips are definitely different material. They isolate better so my guess is they must be foam, but sound quality does drop a bit including soundstage/openness. Worth trying for a day for comparison purpose.

It seems foam gets bit muddy, almost muffled.. Regardless of whether it is with my cx400bt or Sony 1000xm3. I don't know if it is a normal phenomena with foam or if it depends on the eartip make.. Guessing it's a little of both.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #28,017 of 62,423
Perhaps anker are waiting for the new bluetooth LE protocols/codecs before releasing their next flagship headphone..

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #28,018 of 62,423
My AZ70W came today. Limited time testing so far. They are definitely bulbous. Feel like Frankenstein bolts sticking out of my ears. That said they seemed comfortable. And the fit seemed better than the Sony's.

Sound wise I'm on the fence so far. They have a great clarity and find vocals and acoustic music sounds amazing.

Bass is sorely lacking. Songs that have emphasized punchy drum or bass tracks that are the focus of that part of the song are noticeably missing something on these. Jabra Samsung and the liberty 2 pro have much better base even when Was down significantly.

I have tried all the size tips and even with great seal bass is lacking.
Will give it more time but there is a missing kick to the sound.

I am hoping the elite 85t will be the winner. They are supposed to have wider soundstage and better detail than the 75t and the bass is a bit toned down.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #28,019 of 62,423
I had a feeling the AZ70 might be a bit to bass lite for you @Canabuc just from the way you were enjoying the WF1000XM3 sonically. I still suggest using them exclusively for a few days to give your ears and brain a chance to adjust. Also see if you can find some foam tips kicking around also try Sony hybrid tips if you have any of those handy as the help the bass and also tighten the treble a smidge. I also find the Sony more comfortable and also they hold in my ear better.

Dec 30, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #28,020 of 62,423
So far these are my brief impressions on sound only of the buds I have been testing:

L2P- once EQ properly these have powerful bass that don't bleed into the mids and great highs as well. Very good separation and soundstage. Overall closest to an over the ear sound like my P7 wireless. 9/10

GBuds+ - Very nice overall sound. Bass and sub bass are present and punch when needed but the mids and highs are more emphasized. Overall really enjoyable sound but some times especially female vocals can get a bit harsh or shouty. Separation and soundstage good bit not in same class as L2P. 8.5/10

1More ANC- Very good clean bass and low end. Very enjoyable vocals. Warmer overall sound signature than any other buds I have tested. Reminds me of my Master and dynamic headphone sound signature. Sound stage is good separation good. Some songs don't sound as good due to the warm darker tone and no but in EQ to tune. Volume is a bit lower than the rest. 8.0/10

Jabra Elite Active 75t- Powerful bass! Peaky trebles. EQ well in app and once done give a nice energetic sound and works great for modern bass heavy music. Less detail than the above buds and soundstage a bit narrower. Get loud. Overall great package in terms of features price which makes up for any slight deficiencies in sound but still 8.25/10.

Sony WF-1000XM3-
Rich powerful sound very good Bass though doesn't extend as low as Jabra or L2P. Great soundstage, loud and sound greatfrom low to high with no tones favored. Sounds great with every genre with great vocals and mids. At its current price if you only care about sound it is a great option. 9/10

Technics EAH-AZ70W- Limited testing so far. Clearest and most detailed of the group. Amazing for vocals and acoustic music. Disappoints in bass heavy music as the bass can get low in to sub bass but even EQ'd can't get the volume of Bass up to same level as all of the above buds. Surprising given the 10mm drivers. Volume is ok but a bit less than all but the 1More. 8/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back