Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 4, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #27,571 of 62,145
Anyone else get their AZ70 yet? Just curious of other impressions on them. For listening to music I am still very much in love with their sound. Been using them a lot since I got them even to not using my over ear headphones at home.

I have had a few connection issues where suddenly I will loose bluetooth connection or only get it in one ear at the start but these are very sporadic and the ones at the start have been easy to rectify. no cutouts while walking around like some of the early TW earphones.

Phone calls are a bit of a mixed bag. I am going to think about a way I can maybe set up a recording on the other end of a call to see what they really are like. My wife has no issues with me talking to her aside from me sounding a bit like I am talking through a tunnel. Car noises to her are not bad. But my Mother complains that their is to much noise in the background and my son has similarly complained about cars. So I need to see which is right. I know no headphone gets it completely right but I have a feeling these may not be as good as the L2P in this regard. If I figure out a way to record the audio maybe I will do a recording using each.

If anyone can point to an app I can put on either an iphone or android phone to tap into a phone call and record it please let me know and I will give it a try.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #27,572 of 62,145
Anyone else get their AZ70 yet? Just curious of other impressions on them. For listening to music I am still very much in love with their sound. Been using them a lot since I got them even to not using my over ear headphones at home.

I have had a few connection issues where suddenly I will loose bluetooth connection or only get it in one ear at the start but these are very sporadic and the ones at the start have been easy to rectify. no cutouts while walking around like some of the early TW earphones.

Phone calls are a bit of a mixed bag. I am going to think about a way I can maybe set up a recording on the other end of a call to see what they really are like. My wife has no issues with me talking to her aside from me sounding a bit like I am talking through a tunnel. Car noises to her are not bad. But my Mother complains that their is to much noise in the background and my son has similarly complained about cars. So I need to see which is right. I know no headphone gets it completely right but I have a feeling these may not be as good as the L2P in this regard. If I figure out a way to record the audio maybe I will do a recording using each.

If anyone can point to an app I can put on either an iphone or android phone to tap into a phone call and record it please let me know and I will give it a try.
I use Mic Test on Android (available in the Play Store).

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #27,573 of 62,145

I have them. With phone calls, I notice, you have to pay attention to where the microphone port lines up. It can get blocked easily depending on how you wear them, and what ya ears look like. They also only use one side's mic but can switch to either side. A factory reset and re-pair based on their recommendations also helps with connection, quality, etc.

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #27,574 of 62,145
Hi Folks,
VERY rare poster here but have used head-fi as a resource on and off over the years and figured it was time to give back a little. Over the last few weeks I have purchased a number of different true wireless IEMs and am in the midst of demoing them to see which (if any) I want to keep for use with a new iphone. As an aside, I am not sure what's come over me, I'm a LONG time android user but for some reason just bought an iphone 12 pro max which should be here soon. I have long bitched about the apple ecosystem and some of the moves by apple that i consider to be ludicrous. One prime example of that is disposing of the headphone jack. Nonetheless, here I am demoing bluetooth iems so that I can avoid the 3.5mm dongle. So there's your back story.

Here are the ones that I have on hand. I will edit this post with my thoughts as I continue to work through my impressions of each set. Please keep in mind that I am running all of these through my PC currently, which is a Dell XPS 15 laptop. Source material is all FLAC. Currently listening to just a few of the same songs but will continue to cycle through these demoing with more material.

Klipsch T5II: Lovely packaging (who cares ultimately), case is a very nice zippo lighter style, sound is disappointing. Just far and away too rolled off for my taste in the treble. Where's the treble!! They could probably be eq'd but out of the box the sound isn't at all balanced. Mid bass and deeper bass extension is good relative to some of the others. Midrange is mediocre. Cannot get past the rolled off treble. Just no sense of space and not particularly engaging, as a result. Comfort is pretty good on this pair, they are relatively small and the fit is pretty good for me with the 2nd largest of the ear thingys.

edit 1 Klipsch: Sticking with more or less my original take here. These are a disappointment to me. I suppose taken at their price point (paid 100) it should be expected that they'd be out of the top tier but they just are not good enough for me to want to keep them. They are missing detail and are just too recessed for me in the upper midrange and treble. Even with some eq tinkering, I can't seem to get them quite to my liking - better, yes, but still just OK. Unlikely to come back to this pair again.

Master & Dynamic MW07 Plus: First impression... damn! why do I always have to like the most expensive ones. I need to do more extensive demos of my favorite few pairs but these are probably going to be one of them. Good treble extension, initial thought is that they have a hair of sibilance but overall well balanced vocals and, in fact, the overall tonal balance is good. They suffer from the same issue as a few of the others which is what seems like some compression or harshness with complex tracks played loudly. These cost something like 225ish on sale. Worth it? Eh, not sure to be honest.

edit 1 for M&D: Listening to one of my reference recordings, Clfford Jordan Live at Ethell's. This is a live recording in a small venue and there is a ton of ambiance. It's great for testing imaging and detail. I am hearing things from the M&D that I wasn't able to get from the Apple product. For instance, I can hear Jordan clicking each of the keys on his sax. These headphones are better than the Airpods. The tonal balance out of the box isn't wildly different but they are more detailed and I've not needed to tinker with the treble. There is a better bass extension as well as a bit more detail in the mid bass. These are good headphones, perhaps the best of the bunch. Onto the Sony again next...

edit 2 for M&D: Getting some sibilance on Trey's vocals on the Phish track. Listening to this after the Apple set these are a lot more dynamic. Vocals are a bit more forward. Space and imaging is better. There are some background sound effects that should be a little bit more forward than they are. Bass extension is a little better than Apple and the bass, overall, seems more realistic to me. The difference in detail is the most obvious on the Clifford Jordan track. I mentioned previously that it's recorded in a small club and it's a reference quality recording so you can hear clanking of dishes and glasses in the background. These are the only set that really gets at that fine detail. You can hear it in pretty much all of these headphones but not with the finest of detail. The same applies to Jordan's key strokes on the sax. You can pick this up in all of the headphones but this pair is the most realistic sounding. In fact, the sax itself is the most realistic sounding of the bunch. Listening now to ride cymbal, sounds perfect to me. The treble is pretty much right on for these headphones without tweaks, in my view. On the negative side, I am getting a little sibilance also on the Norah Jones track. I don't think I'd reported this issue before but I am getting a bit of this on both the Jones track and the Phish track. That's a tough pill to swallow at this price point honestly. On the other hand these do a lot right and are probably the one pair that seems to be significantly better than some of the other choices in other ways.

Apple Airpod Pro: I'm well aware of the negative perception of these here. Beyond that, as I implied above, i'm predisposed myself to having negative views of apple products in the sense that they tend to be a bad value. Having said that, these are actually not that bad. Are they the best of the lot sound wise? Eh, probably not but they may well be one of the better options of the group that I am demoing. They seem a bit rolled off in the treble but the overall balance is pretty good and they have pretty good bass and midrange. They are fairly detailed and they are comfortable to wear. At their normal price, I'd have to say they are a bad value. However, I paid $170 for these on sale and at that price point they seem to be a lot more inline with the competition.

1st edit for apple: ran a few more tracks through these including one of my reference recordings. these are really not bad headphones at all. honestly, I think people knock them a bit too hard given how they sound. negative apple rep? that's my view. I find the treble a little too rolled off for my taste and have given them just a slight boost in the upper treble to give them a little more space. On some material, there's some need for tweaks here and there but these are more detailed than I'd expect from a consumer grade product. I could easily see someone with limited experience getting their socks blown off by these. I'm sticking with my original impression, which is that they are pretty good. Not the best thing since sliced bread but good headphones without any serious issues to my ears.

2nd edit for apple: these are not quite as detailed as I think they should be for the $. However, i'm going to hang onto these as an option for testing once I have the iphone since, knowing apple, there may be some secondary benefits to them in terms of integration or other factors that I am not thinking of currently. I find them to be fairly middle of the pack sound wise. Not distinguished in any specific way but they also aren't falling down in any specific way either. I could be happy with them but I don't feel they are significantly better than some of the less expensive options. I'm giving them a slight boost in the treble now, which I think improves their sound a little. They sound pretty good with the norah jones track. The clifford jordan track is where I'm noticing some of the small detail missing and what prompted the treble boost. Instrument placement and imaging on the Phish track was good but not great. Some of others seemed better to me. They are reasonably punchy sounding for Rock but I don't think the extension is quite as good as some other options. This all sounds kind of negative but I think my original impression basically still stands, which is that they are pretty good in most respects and honestly better than I expected given their rep. They seem like a decent value at 170. Not a great value at 250 or whatever the normal price is for them.

Sony WF1000XM3: Like many other people here, I like the Sonys. They're one of the better options of the group that I've demoed. Overall, well balanced sound. Good detail and good upper and lower extension. The biggest issue with these, I think, is the fit. They are on the larger side relative to the other options and I just seem to get less of a good positive engagement in my ears.

1st Edit Sony: Coming to the Sony from having just listened to the two budget options. The Lypertek and Fiil. Back to reality. These are better than those two sets by a decent bit. The vocals are thicker and richer while still being very delicate on the norah jones track. Out of the box and even with some tweaks to the cheaper pairs the bass is better on the Sony. Vocal separation on the phish track is good. Mid bass and bass extension are both better. Treble is pretty good. I'd prefer the wah effects in the guitar bits to be a little more forward and have bumped the upper midrange to get a little more of that. These seem to take pretty well to eq vs. some of the others, which maybe means that people might prefer slight tweaks to the sound signature but that they are pretty well put together overall. For instance, listening to the Jordan track the background ambiance and fine detail on the sax are there but a little more recessed than I prefer. Small tweaks in the eq bring it out while still sounding pretty realistic. I think the biggest issue with the Sony is that while they aren't uncomfortable they could well be the least comfortable of all of the options. That's a bit of a bummer.

Anker Soundcore Liberty Pro 2: I've listened to these twice now and came away with the same impression both times. People like these? Not for me. WAY too bright, which isn't necessarily a problem in its own right (I actually tend to like relatively bright headphones) but there is just a ton of sibilance, which kills them for me. I'd say there is also too much mid boost as well. They just are not natural sounding or balanced to me. The best thing they have going is that they are pretty detailed but my overall impression of these was negative.

1st edit for Anker: Ok, I missed the boat a bit on these in the first couple go rounds and I know why. Female vocals seem to accentuate an issue that I am pretty sensitive to, which is sibilance. Cutting the treble a hair reduces a little of that while not affecting the space and imaging much. These are actually pretty good. I like them quite a bit more than the Klipsch, which I listened to immediately before them. If you are into imaging these punch above their weight. I can't recall how much these cost? Around $100, I think. These have a nice presence for rock but it's probably not the direction I'd go for jazz or female vocal oriented music unless you want to tweak the treble to reduce the sibilance (don't feel like it can be fully tuned out, personally).

Lypertek Tevi: Comfort is better than Sony, these are much better than the Soundcore but like a few of the others they get a bit compressed/bad sounding especially when listening to complex tracks loudly. These are fairly well balanced. I found the upper treble a bit recessed at times but the vocals are good and there is minimal sibilance. I wasn't blown away by these but they are also one of the cheaper options that I purchased and given the cost they are not bad.

1st Edit Lypertek: Going back and forth on these a bit. They are one of the less expensive options. They do some things right. The bass doesn't sound quite right to me. I think they are lacking extension. Even with some tweaking in the bass I can't quite get some of the bass guitar riffs sounding quite right on the Phish track. On the other hand, these do a pretty good job on some of the wah effects and assorted effects placement in the midrange. They handle vocals pretty well to my ears, not getting sibilance on these, which is great. The treble still feels a bit rolled off to me and I've given that a little eq as well. I'm listening to these right after the M&D set and for the $ they hold their own. While they aren't my favorite they represent a pretty good value.

Fiil T1XS: Comfort better than sony. These are slightly less rolled off than Lypertek but at the expense of more sibilance. I really do not like sibilance and I don't find it to be really fixable generally so EQing the Lypertek might be the better option if I was going to pick between the two least costly options. Like some of the others, these get that compressed/bad sounding feel when loud (not quite sure what's up with that), these don't sound that realistic to me for some reason, I think they are lacking some presence since the bass is a little recessed and the upper treble is lacking detail.

1st Edit Fiil: Listening to these again right after the Sony. Still feel like the comfort on these is a step up from the Sony but in terms of sound they are really not too bad. The signature is fairly similar to the Sony but just a hair more sibilance. They give a very nice intimate feel to the norah jones track I have been using. I slightly prefer the Sony but it's not a huge difference to my ears. Also demoing with Phish's Ghost which is a good rock track for testing imaging and instrument placement. I think I said initially that I felt these were less rolled off in the treble than the Lypertek but they are actually too rolled off and it's pretty apparent on this Phish track. I've given them a little bump in the upper treble, which helps. These aren't amazing but they are very good budget option in my opinion. I think this may be the least expensive pair that I bought (can't remember) and they seem like a reasonable option with some small tweaks. Not really feeling like bass is overly recessed anymore either.

2nd Edit Fiil: Ok trying to figure out if I prefer the Fiil or Lypertek. Female vocals are more compelling to me on the Fiil. Norah Jones has more of a delicate feel on the Fiil. Her vocals are a little more forward and have a little more sweetness. I prefer this. On the hand the piano is more thin sounding. So some give and take there. Moving to the Phish track, there is slightly better separation in the overlayed vocal tracks but male vocals seem a bit thinner to me, which is happening because the midbass is a little too thin. This might be a fitment issue, honestly. These are just a hair looser than they probably should be on me. I think these may have slightly better bass extension even though the midbass is a little more thin. I do still feel like these are little less rolled off in the treble. I don't really love these headphones but they are respectable. They are also 1/3 the price of a few of the others, or in the case of the M&D almost a quarter of the price. Hard to argue with the value proposition. I think I'd probably take these over the Lypertek, ultimately. I can thicken up the midbass with some eq and I'm not sure your getting anything for the added cost of the Lypertek. In fact, I could see a lot of people saying, effectively, to hell with it. These are good enough that it's not worth spending a lot more to headphones that aren't wildly superior. To be honest with you, I am starting to wonder that myself.

My initial thinking is that the Sony, Apple, and Master & Dynamic are the best 3 sets. Unfortunately, they are also the 3 most pricey... go figure. I will continue to add more thoughts as I tinker with these. I need to also try these with cell / conference call type applications. Have not tried that out at all and it will be a big factor in my decision.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #27,576 of 62,145

It depends on your phone. On android, starting from version 10 and later, you can't record phone call without rooting your device. That lead me to use an older device I had lying around and calling over skype for easy recording.

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #27,577 of 62,145

Thanks I will check that app out, might just do the trick.

I have them. With phone calls, I notice, you have to pay attention to where the microphone port lines up. It can get blocked easily depending on how you wear them, and what ya ears look like. They also only use one side's mic but can switch to either side. A factory reset and re-pair based on their recommendations also helps with connection, quality, etc.
Thanks I will try the factory reset and see how it goes for the few connection issues I have had.

I notice the bottom mic is in line with an indentation of my ear which should keep it open but possibly partially shielded. The other mic is on top and I assume designed to help measure and counteract ambient noise.

In conversation with my Mom today she never complained as much except for one loud instance of the C-train going by me in an otherwise quiet area. So it may be that certain higher pitched sounds can overwhelm the ANC for conversations.

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #27,578 of 62,145
My AZ70 set arrived a couple of days late, but I've been listening to them pretty continually since yesterday and I'm mostly quite pleased with them. I would agree with the assessment that they're fairly balanced, but sort of in w-shaped tuning with plenty of excitement sort of way, not a polite manner. Bass is tight and with good impact and texture. It's not really possible to use the EQ to turn these into a full-on basshead set, which is fine for my preferences, but just calling that out for anybody that would want that.

Technical abilities on the whole are good - solid detail retrieval, sound stage width is good, and there is at least some semblance of height and depth, so I won't complain. The imaging/separation abilities are good and were a pleasant surprise. Vocals and instruments sound natural to me. Upper mids and treble are definitely pushed forward, so it can get a bit intense at high volumes, but it's not harsh or sibilant.

Fit is comfortable for me and my big ears, but passive isolation is fairly poor. They're not perfectly stable when active, for example I just walked the dog for about 90 minutes and had to reseat the earpieces in my ears a couple of times while I was out. It's much better with the aftermarket tips I'm using compared to the stock tips though. ANC is...there, and does...something. I feel like the AZ70 with ANC activated is only about as good at blocking sound as passive isolation alone on my other TWS set (Fiil T1XS). I've only made one phone call to my wife, and she didn't comment on sound quality, but I was indoors so it wasn't a great test of the mic.

Bit disappointed with the EQ functionality. The tuning changes you can make are pretty subtle at best. Only 6 bands and 6db of adjustment. I did boost at 100hz and cut at 1khz and 3.5khz to reduce some of the midrange intensity, but again, if you don't really like the base tuning, you're not going to be able to EQ your way to something significantly different.

Touch controls are excellent. Intuitive commands, and the touch sensors are precise. The case is good too, honestly the most important thing about it to me is that you can use it with just about any type of tips still on the earpieces. I've tried some Comply T400 clones and KZ Starlines (the KZs work best for me so far) and the case accepts them with no problem. I've lost some tips already while using my Fiil set because I have to take off the aftermarket tips that fit best whenever I put the units back into the case.

In summary though, they fit me well, and I think that they sound good - the tuning suits my preferences and library, which is almost exclusively rock music. I'll certainly be happy with the AZ70 as my walking/hiking/laying in bed set.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #27,579 of 62,145
Thanks I will check that app out, might just do the trick.

Thanks I will try the factory reset and see how it goes for the few connection issues I have had.

I notice the bottom mic is in line with an indentation of my ear which should keep it open but possibly partially shielded. The other mic is on top and I assume designed to help measure and counteract ambient noise.

In conversation with my Mom today she never complained as much except for one loud instance of the C-train going by me in an otherwise quiet area. So it may be that certain higher pitched sounds can overwhelm the ANC for conversations.

There's a bit of confusion I think. There is CVC and ANC. They do similar things but for different purposes.

CVC is for calls & your voice. Only active on calls. This is what filters your voice to be clear when talking.

ANC is for music and making the outside environment quieter. Not active on calls. This is used to tone down the rumble, traffic, etc.

Both use the TWS mics and is why they aren't active at the same time (afaik).

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #27,580 of 62,145
Hi Folks,
VERY rare poster here but have used head-fi as a resource on and off over the years and figured it was time to give back a little. Over the last few weeks I have purchased a number of different true wireless IEMs and am in the midst of demoing them to see which (if any) I want to keep for use with a new iphone. As an aside, I am not sure what's come over me, I'm a LONG time android user but for some reason just bought an iphone 12 pro max which should be here soon. I have long bitched about the apple ecosystem and some of the moves by apple that i consider to be ludicrous. One prime example of that is disposing of the headphone jack. Nonetheless, here I am demoing bluetooth iems so that I can avoid the 3.5mm dongle. So there's your back story.

Here are the ones that I have on hand. I will edit this post with my thoughts as I continue to work through my impressions of each set. Please keep in mind that I am running all of these through my PC currently, which is a Dell XPS 15 laptop. Source material is all FLAC. Currently listening to just a few of the same songs but will continue to cycle through these demoing with more material.

Klipsch T5II: Lovely packaging (who cares ultimately), case is a very nice zippo lighter style, sound is disappointing. Just far and away too rolled off for my taste in the treble. Where's the treble!! They could probably be eq'd but out of the box the sound isn't at all balanced. Mid bass and deeper bass extension is good relative to some of the others. Midrange is mediocre. Cannot get past the rolled off treble. Just no sense of space and not particularly engaging, as a result. Comfort is pretty good on this pair, they are relatively small and the fit is pretty good for me with the 2nd largest of the ear thingys.

edit 1 Klipsch: Sticking with more or less my original take here. These are a disappointment to me. I suppose taken at their price point (paid 100) it should be expected that they'd be out of the top tier but they just are not good enough for me to want to keep them. They are missing detail and are just too recessed for me in the upper midrange and treble. Even with some eq tinkering, I can't seem to get them quite to my liking - better, yes, but still just OK. Unlikely to come back to this pair again.

Master & Dynamic MW07 Plus: First impression... damn! why do I always have to like the most expensive ones. I need to do more extensive demos of my favorite few pairs but these are probably going to be one of them. Good treble extension, initial thought is that they have a hair of sibilance but overall well balanced vocals and, in fact, the overall tonal balance is good. They suffer from the same issue as a few of the others which is what seems like some compression or harshness with complex tracks played loudly. These cost something like 225ish on sale. Worth it? Eh, not sure to be honest.

edit 1 for M&D: Listening to one of my reference recordings, Clfford Jordan Live at Ethell's. This is a live recording in a small venue and there is a ton of ambiance. It's great for testing imaging and detail. I am hearing things from the M&D that I wasn't able to get from the Apple product. For instance, I can hear Jordan clicking each of the keys on his sax. These headphones are better than the Airpods. The tonal balance out of the box isn't wildly different but they are more detailed and I've not needed to tinker with the treble. There is a better bass extension as well as a bit more detail in the mid bass. These are good headphones, perhaps the best of the bunch. Onto the Sony again next...

Apple Airpod Pro: I'm well aware of the negative perception of these here. Beyond that, as I implied above, i'm predisposed myself to having negative views of apple products in the sense that they tend to be a bad value. Having said that, these are actually not that bad. Are they the best of the lot sound wise? Eh, probably not but they may well be one of the better options of the group that I am demoing. They seem a bit rolled off in the treble but the overall balance is pretty good and they have pretty good bass and midrange. They are fairly detailed and they are comfortable to wear. At their normal price, I'd have to say they are a bad value. However, I paid $170 for these on sale and at that price point they seem to be a lot more inline with the competition.

1st edit for apple: ran a few more tracks through these including one of my reference recordings. these are really not bad headphones at all. honestly, I think people knock them a bit too hard given how they sound. negative apple rep? that's my view. I find the treble a little too rolled off for my taste and have given them just a slight boost in the upper treble to give them a little more space. On some material, there's some need for tweaks here and there but these are more detailed than I'd expect from a consumer grade product. I could easily see someone with limited experience getting their socks blown off by these. I'm sticking with my original impression, which is that they are pretty good. Not the best thing since sliced bread but good headphones without any serious issues to my ears.

Sony WF1000XM3: Like many other people here, I like the Sonys. They're one of the better options of the group that I've demoed. Overall, well balanced sound. Good detail and good upper and lower extension. The biggest issue with these, I think, is the fit. They are on the larger side relative to the other options and I just seem to get less of a good positive engagement in my ears.

Anker Soundcore Liberty Pro 2: I've listened to these twice now and came away with the same impression both times. People like these? Not for me. WAY too bright, which isn't necessarily a problem in its own right (I actually tend to like relatively bright headphones) but there is just a ton of sibilance, which kills them for me. I'd say there is also too much mid boost as well. They just are not natural sounding or balanced to me. The best thing they have going is that they are pretty detailed but my overall impression of these was negative.

1st edit for Anker: Ok, I missed the boat a bit on these in the first couple go rounds and I know why. Female vocals seem to accentuate an issue that I am pretty sensitive to, which is sibilance. Cutting the treble a hair reduces a little of that while not affecting the space and imaging much. These are actually pretty good. I like them quite a bit more than the Klipsch, which I listened to immediately before them. If you are into imaging these punch above their weight. I can't recall how much these cost? Around $100, I think. These have a nice presence for rock but it's probably not the direction I'd go for jazz or female vocal oriented music unless you want to tweak the treble to reduce the sibilance (don't feel like it can be fully tuned out, personally).

Lypertek Tevi: Comfort is better than Sony, these are much better than the Soundcore but like a few of the others they get a bit compressed/bad sounding especially when listening to complex tracks loudly. These are fairly well balanced. I found the upper treble a bit recessed at times but the vocals are good and there is minimal sibilance. I wasn't blown away by these but they are also one of the cheaper options that I purchased and given the cost they are not bad.

Fiil T1XS: Comfort better than sony. These are slightly less rolled off than Lypertek but at the expense of more sibilance. I really do not like sibilance and I don't find it to be really fixable generally so EQing the Lypertek might be the better option if I was going to pick between the two least costly options. Like some of the others, these get that compressed/bad sounding feel when loud (not quite sure what's up with that), these don't sound that realistic to me for some reason, I think they are lacking some presence since the bass is a little recessed and the upper treble is lacking detail.

My initial thinking is that the Sony, Apple, and Master & Dynamic are the best 3 sets. Unfortunately, they are also the 3 most pricey... go figure. I will continue to add more thoughts as I tinker with these. I need to also try these with cell / conference call type applications. Have not tried that out at all and it will be a big factor in my decision.

Awesome right up! A few options that my colleagues purchased since we all work from home and overall they are satisfied are Creative Outlier Gold and Jabra 75t both should be very decent. The Outlier gold are more budget friendly.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #27,581 of 62,145
There's a bit of confusion I think. There is CVC and ANC. They do similar things but for different purposes.

CVC is for calls & your voice. Only active on calls. This is what filters your voice to be clear when talking.

ANC is for music and making the outside environment quieter. Not active on calls. This is used to tone down the rumble, traffic, etc.

Both use the TWS mics and is why they aren't active at the same time (afaik).
Thanks in this case I am referring to CVC then as I mean the noise cancelling during a phone call how ever that is achieved.

The actual ANC on these is pretty good in my opinion removing most noise missed by the passive isolating features of any IEM.

So come on fellow headfirst cough up your impressions of the AN70. I want details... They don't have to even be good impressions. If you don't like them post why, those are as valid as positive impressions. I am enjoying the heck out of my pair but that can just be me and my preferences. Everyone's impressions are welcome and needed to help other make their own choice.

Dec 4, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #27,582 of 62,145
My AZ70 set arrived a couple of days late, but I've been listening to them pretty continually since yesterday and I'm mostly quite pleased with them. I would agree with the assessment that they're fairly balanced, but sort of in w-shaped tuning with plenty of excitement sort of way, not a polite manner. Bass is tight and with good impact and texture. It's not really possible to use the EQ to turn these into a full-on basshead set, which is fine for my preferences, but just calling that out for anybody that would want that.

Technical abilities on the whole are good - solid detail retrieval, sound stage width is good, and there is at least some semblance of height and depth, so I won't complain. The imaging/separation abilities are good and were a pleasant surprise. Vocals and instruments sound natural to me. Upper mids and treble are definitely pushed forward, so it can get a bit intense at high volumes, but it's not harsh or sibilant.

Fit is comfortable for me and my big ears, but passive isolation is fairly poor. They're not perfectly stable when active, for example I just walked the dog for about 90 minutes and had to reseat the earpieces in my ears a couple of times while I was out. It's much better with the aftermarket tips I'm using compared to the stock tips though. ANC is...there, and does...something. I feel like the AZ70 with ANC activated is only about as good at blocking sound as passive isolation alone on my other TWS set (Fiil T1XS). I've only made one phone call to my wife, and she didn't comment on sound quality, but I was indoors so it wasn't a great test of the mic.

Bit disappointed with the EQ functionality. The tuning changes you can make are pretty subtle at best. Only 6 bands and 6db of adjustment. I did boost at 100hz and cut at 1khz and 3.5khz to reduce some of the midrange intensity, but again, if you don't really like the base tuning, you're not going to be able to EQ your way to something significantly different.

Touch controls are excellent. Intuitive commands, and the touch sensors are precise. The case is good too, honestly the most important thing about it to me is that you can use it with just about any type of tips still on the earpieces. I've tried some Comply T400 clones and KZ Starlines (the KZs work best for me so far) and the case accepts them with no problem. I've lost some tips already while using my Fiil set because I have to take off the aftermarket tips that fit best whenever I put the units back into the case.

In summary though, they fit me well, and I think that they sound good - the tuning suits my preferences and library, which is almost exclusively rock music. I'll certainly be happy with the AZ70 as my walking/hiking/laying in bed set.
Awesome impressions. I actually find everything said pretty spot on with exception of maybe ANC but I also have not tried a really good isolating IEM in a while as I find most bother me a bit so prefer shallow inserted IEMs.

Sonically I hear mine very much like you have. Great for rock in particular but I also think they work very well with Jazz and orchestral music.

I have pretty much settled on Sony hybrid tips as they are super comfortable and help hold the IEM in place simultaneously plus the slightly smaller exit hole helps the bass a bit. I actually buy cheap Sony IEMs to get new pairs sometimes LOL.

Dec 5, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #27,583 of 62,145

Thx for the suggestion, I've downloaded the app but one thing isn't clear re: the Mic Mode (the Help section wasn't very helpful either); apparently this allows one to choose the Mic mode but pretty much every TWS (or BT earbuds for that matter) doesn't allow you to adjust the mic processing thus I'd imagine that you'd always want to choose Communication.

However, would you happen to know if Direct means noise canceling (for mic) = Off and Communication = NC on? (which then I interpret to mean cVc on/off for Qualcomm chips).

Dec 5, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #27,585 of 62,145
Best TWS on AliExpress under 80$?
I'm currently owning Anker Liberty Neo and I was amazed that they sound anything close to a real iem, I thought TWS were way worse.

I'm currently looking at Fiil T1 Pros Vs Oppo Encos W51 Vs Edifier NB2. Fiil T1 seem to have the best sound quality, while Oppos ANC seem to be better than Fiils. Edifier seems to be mediocre in both. Is there anything else that could be as good / better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back