Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 13, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #26,509 of 62,387
Probably end of Q1 2021. There isn't much information at the moment.
If true, I wouldn't expect any major updates from the big manufacturers like Bose, Senn & Sony for at least a year. Until cell phone hardware is upgraded which I'm guessing will start in 2021 with Samsung releases and follow through the rest of the year, this feels pretty far off. DAPs may implement faster but most people use their phones. No reason to hold off on purchasing anything at this point.

Oct 13, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #26,510 of 62,387
I think I am likely to go without the wings too, with Medium tips the fit is pretty solid. From reading various threads, it seems a lot of people complain that these are not loud enough. I find it strange as I have tried a multitude of TW earphones and none go as loud as these.
So weird. Mine get super-loud.

Oct 13, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #26,512 of 62,387
New update for the Sennheiser Smart Control app.
They've introduced a "High-End Sound Tuning" feature for the MTW2.

My first impressions: Warmer sound, wider soundstage especially with voices/mids, no sibilance like with the newest firmware and sound just feels fuller.
I tested it very quick, but I think I prefer it mostly because of the fuller and warmer mids/highs.

What do you think?

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Just updated my app and enabled it. Have to test it out

Oct 13, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #26,513 of 62,387
I don't think you can find a TWS with those specs. Especially the call quality. In an A/B test, bluetooth converters (ES100-like) and dongle mics (Jaybird X3-like) far outperform TWS in mic quality. No TWS does multipoint (it's why I use the ES100 for home-office and Jaybirds in the office). Maybe in 2021 with BT 5.2 (sans mic quality).
Jabra 75t support multipoint I believe

Oct 14, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #26,514 of 62,387
Any recommendations for an external bluetooth 5.0 adapter that's compatible and works well with the audio codecs found in TWS? I'm looking to upgrade my laptops current 4.2 Realtek bluetooth configuration.

Thanks!

Oct 14, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #26,515 of 62,387
Hey, can any other FIIL T1 XS owners ( @regancipher @d3myz ) do me a quick favor and test to see if their charging case charges when using a cable that's USB-C at both ends? My case lights up and indicates that it's charging when I use any cable that's USB-C on one end and USB-A on the other, but when I plug it in with a dual-sided USB-C cable to either my ZMI USB-C power bank or Apple 30W USB-C power adapter, it doesn't light up at all.

Go figure I'm discovering this issue literally days before I leave on my big trip. I don't have room or a spare few hundred grams weight allowance to allow for a separate power adapter and cable just because FIIL decided not to play nice with USB-C standards...

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #26,516 of 62,387
Hey, can any other FIIL T1 XS owners do me a quick favor and test to see if their charging case charges when using a cable that's USB-C at both ends? My case lights up and indicates that it's charging when I use the included cable that's USB-C on one end and USB-A on the other, but when I plug it in with a dual-sided USB-C cable to either my ZMI USB-C power bank or Apple 30W USB-C power adapter, it doesn't light up at all.

Go figure I'm discovering this issue literally days before I leave on my big trip. I don't have room or a spare few hundred grams weight allowance to allow for a separate power adapter and cable just because FIIL decided not to play nice with USB-C standards...
I think it also depends on the source device.

Oct 14, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #26,517 of 62,387
I think it also depends on the source device.
I think the issue is with the FIIL case not being properly USB-C compliant. If I had to guess what's going on, when connected using a USB-C to USB-C cable, the power source tries to do a handshake to negotiate USB PD charging, and the case doesn't respond, so nothing happens. The case probably just wants plain old USB 2.0 spec power.

Unfortunately I don't have one on hand to test, but I'm wondering if taking a USB-C to USB A cable and then putting a USB A to USB-C adapter on it (silly, I know) would force the power source into realizing it's got a "dumb" device plugged in and giving it power.

Oct 14, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #26,518 of 62,387
qualcomm tws+ is not the only non-relay option Mediatek/Airoha has mcsync. Sony uses Airoha 155*, there is also 156*

The Fiils also seem to do non-relay (at least my T1XS behaves that way), and to me their implementation seems a lot more seamless at random side switching than even TWS+ (as is done on my Outlier Airs).

No idea what chipset they're using though.

I think the issue is with the FIIL case not being properly USB-C compliant. If I had to guess what's going on, when connected using a USB-C to USB-C cable, the power source tries to do a handshake to negotiate USB PD charging, and the case doesn't respond, so nothing happens. The case probably just wants plain old USB 2.0 spec power.

Unfortunately I don't have one on hand to test, but I'm wondering if taking a USB-C to USB A cable and then putting a USB A to USB-C adapter on it (silly, I know) would force the power source into realizing it's got a "dumb" device plugged in and giving it power.

Just got the time to try this, and unfortunately you're probably right.

Tried two sources: 1x Tronsmart Trim (which I know does PD) and 1x Baseus S10 (which I'm not so sure about the Type-C spec). Both with a Belkin short C-to-C cable. Both charge my OP6 fine. Both doesn't do anything when plugged to the T1XS case.

Switched to a random USB-A to Micro-B (+ Type-C adapter) cable and the T1XS charges as usual from both sources.

So yeah. Prolly a "dumb" C charging port unfortunately.

P.S. The horrific daisy chain that follows actually works: Type-C to USB-A adapter + USB-A to Micro-B cable + Micro-B to Type-C adapter. This results in a monstrosity that's Type-C at both ends, and also one that charges the Fiil T1XS case just fine... despite the obvious silliness involved.

Considering that, I think your hypothetical scenario (A-C cable with an A-C adapter) should work just fine.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #26,519 of 62,387
New update for the Sennheiser Smart Control app.
They've introduced a "High-End Sound Tuning" feature for the MTW2.

My first impressions: Warmer sound, wider soundstage especially with voices/mids, no sibilance like with the newest firmware and sound just feels fuller.
I tested it very quick, but I think I prefer it mostly because of the fuller and warmer mids/highs.

What do you think?

I also mentioned it over at the MTW2 thread and I‘ve been listening to them with this feature enabled for several hours now. I think you‘re description is pretty accurate. It‘s definitely wider sounding, less sibilant at high volumes and instrument separation seems better as well.

I just find it a bit odd, that they implement something like that in an app update (not in a firmware update) and that nobody really knows what this is about exactly as there is no detailed description of the feature besides „refined and pure sound profile“ - would have been great if they explained a bit more what exactly changed and why it deserves the „High-End Sound Tuning“ name...

Oct 14, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #26,520 of 62,387
M&D with that horseshoe blocky shape was never the prettiest girl in class but they did hit them with the ugly stick here:)...
1602677851310.png

Never owned one but that squared off front. Doesn't that catch the wind like a bitch. I know I am into more for the park and running around so wind whistle is something I always keep in mind. Esp. being fall here now in the NE US I can just imagine these being so bad on the windy days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back