Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 13, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #26,492 of 62,437
Still no new TWS annoced with Bluetooth 5.2/LC3 codec etc? :/
We need to differentiate Bluetooth 5.2, which is the core specification of Bluetooth, and an "application level" specific such as LE Audio (of which one part is the LC3 codec). On this forum we care about LE Audio not just a version of Bluetooth and today only one specification of that has been publicly published (LC3 or low complexity communications codec) which was only about a month ago. I think we'll have to wait a while longer for LE Audio.

Given Bluetooth v5.2 was published on 31 Dec 2019, we're bound to see some hardware support it earlier than LE Audio.

Oct 13, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #26,493 of 62,437
Why don't u connect the westone W4R to a BT adapter like the TRN BT20, TRN BT20S, TRN BT20S Pro or iBasso CF01.
That way u can preserve the sound signature of your favourite IEM on the go. And even if the battery life or BT tech gets outdated, at least the IEM can be kept and reused.
The above options are from cheapest to most expensive, some have different waterproofing, BT codec ability and different battery life +/- charging case, so see what suits your needs.

So far I've used a few westones with the TRN BT20S and iBasso CF01, they sound quite close to the wired version, maybe there's some loss of dynamics and subbass/higher treble with these adapters, but the convenience they bring offsets these IMHO.

EDIT: TRN BT20S hisses with highly sensitive IEMs, probably the Westone 4R is one like this, so maybe consider another option than BT20S (read the new BT20S pro isn't as hissy, but I haven't tried it to confirm). TRN also has some QC issues, they are cheap, but best to buy from a place with a solid returns policy like Amazon.

Hi did not even know you could get such devices, lol

I looked up some reviews and that of the new BT20S pro and they have some problems but i might give them ago not to sure what the difference is between the 0.75mm 0.78mm versions ? is that the pin diameter as i am not to sure what the west one w4r are,

what was the call quality like as well as i use this option

do these wireless add-on add some sort of ANR ?

also noticed that sure have a set out now as well called the aonic 215 true wireless.

digging a bigger hole here , lol

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #26,494 of 62,437

I looked up some reviews and that of the new BT20S pro and they have some problems but i might give them ago not to sure what the difference is between the 0.75mm 0.78mm versions ? is that the pin diameter as i am not to sure what the west one w4r are

also noticed that sure have a set out now as well called the aonic 215 true wireless.

The problems with the TRN BT20S Pro are probably due to lacking quality control at TRN. That's sad, but we have to live with it.
I don't know what the difference between the 0.75 and 0.78 is since I'm pretty new to IEMs myself. But I would guess, that it is somehow important. :)

With ANR you mean ANC? If so, then no. ANC is too complex and needs at least one mic near/inside the sound chamber. So it is not possible with wired IEMs + adapter.

Shure has the RMCE-TW1 which sells in combination with the Aonic 215, which is an SE215. It's not even relabeled I think. It's says SE215 on it if you unpack it as far as I know.
They also sell it without any IEM attached for a slight discount.

I'm also looking to buy either the TRN or the Shure. It's basically environment mode on the Shure vs no environment mode on the TRN. The Shure one isn't without problems as well. They fixed the problems from early units which got recalled and they're shipping again. But The product itself seems to feel like a "first try". I think they can fix a lot of problems via their upgradeable firmware, but that has to be done of course.

Oct 13, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #26,495 of 62,437
The problems with the TRN BT20S Pro are probably due to lacking quality control at TRN. That's sad, but we have to live with it.
I don't know what the difference between the 0.75 and 0.78 is since I'm pretty new to IEMs myself. But I would guess, that it is somehow important. :)

With ANR you mean ANC? If so, then no. ANC is too complex and needs at least one mic near/inside the sound chamber. So it is not possible with wired IEMs + adapter.

Shure has the RMCE-TW1 which sells in combination with the Aonic 215, which is an SE215. It's not even relabeled I think. It's says SE215 on it if you unpack it as far as I know.
They also sell it without any IEM attached for a slight discount.

I'm also looking to buy either the TRN or the Shure. It's basically environment mode on the Shure vs no environment mode on the TRN. The Shure one isn't without problems as well. They fixed the problems from early units which got recalled and they're shipping again. But The product itself seems to feel like a "first try". I think they can fix a lot of problems via their upgradeable firmware, but that has to be done of course.

I have to say it seems that i might have a couple more options like you get the TRN BT20s Pro or go full out and maybe get the Shure Aonic 5 wireless versions but they are very costly (£619) so i might try the TRN first which are about £55

yep i meant ANC, lol I have been doing some reading and the 0.75 & 0.78 is the pin diameter of the connector that fits the ear piece, the westone w4r are 0.78 i think, i hope

Oct 13, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #26,496 of 62,437
I have to say it seems that i might have a couple more options like you get the TRN BT20s Pro or go full out and maybe get the Shure Aonic 5 wireless versions but they are very costly (£619) so i might try the TRN first which are about £55
Yes, you can purchase some IEMs from Shure with the TWS adapter. But it's basically a product itself and if you buy the combination you get a small discount.

Oct 13, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #26,497 of 62,437

I looked up some reviews and that of the new BT20S pro and they have some problems but i might give them ago not to sure what the difference is between the 0.75mm 0.78mm versions ? is that the pin diameter as i am not to sure what the west one w4r are,

what was the call quality like as well as i use this option

The 0.75 mm and 0.78 mm cables can be used interchangably but i found that using a 0.78mm male cable/connector on a 0.75 mm female housing (on the iem) may loosen the pinhole overtime or cause the housing to crack.

I am not sure which diameter the westone 4r is though, maybe u might have to check your box.

The TRN BT20s pro has a lot of QC reports in the forums, but a lot of our friends here bought them without issues, so i guess it is really russian roulette. Best to buy it from a place with good returns policy like amazon, just in case.

The oldest TRN BT20 is rather cheap during sales at $20ish usd, it has less hiss than the BT20S, though it doesn't have waterproofing and has slightly worse battery life and i think no aptx (correct me if i am mistaken). But might be worth a punt for 20 bucks to see if u like the design and fit.

Oct 13, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #26,498 of 62,437
they seem to be 0.78mm as i been doing a search and all cables seem to come back that size

still dont know what to do as i am reading problems with one side and more white noise on one side to the other, supprised if these are the new 2nd version as the first versions seem to have the same problems.

Oct 13, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #26,499 of 62,437
New update for the Sennheiser Smart Control app.
They've introduced a "High-End Sound Tuning" feature for the MTW2.

My first impressions: Warmer sound, wider soundstage especially with voices/mids, no sibilance like with the newest firmware and sound just feels fuller.
I tested it very quick, but I think I prefer it mostly because of the fuller and warmer mids/highs.

What do you think?

Oct 13, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #26,500 of 62,437
Thanks! Yeah I read that but still people report having trouble getting a good fit with them. Since I’d have to order from AliExpress I probably can’t return them if the fit is not very good. Also call quality seems average. I’ll be using them for my work conference calls as well so I don’t think average is going to be enough.

Problem seems to be that good call quality and great SQ don’t often come together and if I can buy my way out of this problem by going more expensive on one set I’d rather not buy 2 different TWS and switch all day long.

I'm in the same boat. I keep looking and chasing after a TWS with good overall seal, comfort and SQ (doesn't have to be great although that would be cherry on top), excellent call quality since I'm on VOIP work calls 8-9 hours everyday so battery life also needs to last that long as well and finally an IPX7/67 rating or higher that can handle excessive sweating without failing. For this I'm willing to pay top dollar (up to $400) if it meets all the criteria. ANC, Multipoint and some of the other specs would ne nice but not absolutely necessary in my case.

At this point I'm starting to wonder if these guys want us to keep buying all their sets one at a time chasing these individual specs instead of including them. As many companies there are in this space and more every day that announce their latest offerings, I keep getting underwhelmed and am starting to lose the excitement..

Oct 13, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #26,501 of 62,437
The M10 def. has more bass than the B530, but it's doesn't compete in the highs. the M10 is still considerably veiled, not like the T10, but they have warm/dark sound in bass mode and a boosted mid sound in normal mode. If i had to compare, i'd say the T3 has has best of both worlds. The bass is similar to the M10 and highs like the B530, to me the T3 is still Tranya's best sounding product to date. If you like the 1more stylish, the M10 have a similar feel, with more bass and boosted mids. slightly less detail.
I had both the m10's and the Fiil t1x(returned) and I found out something rather interesting after burning the both of them in. I found that at max volume on the m10's they actually kind of reach the treble and mid detail of the t1x but with more fullness(especially in bass boost mode). I used this app to burn them in over night https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=zerofour.burn_in I say give the m10s a quick listen at max volume on bass boost mode and you might end up surprised.
Though If I had to be honest, I like the normal mode a bit better and am usually listening to the m10's on it.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #26,502 of 62,437
I'm in the same boat. I keep looking and chasing after a TWS with good overall seal, comfort and SQ (doesn't have to be great although that would be cherry on top), excellent call quality since I'm on VOIP work calls 8-9 hours everyday so battery life also needs to last that long as well and finally an IPX7/67 rating or higher that can handle excessive sweating without failing. For this I'm willing to pay top dollar (up to $400) if it meets all the criteria. ANC, Multipoint and some of the other specs would ne nice but not absolutely necessary in my case.

At this point I'm starting to wonder if these guys want us to keep buying all their sets one at a time chasing these individual specs instead of including them. As many companies there are in this space and more every day that announce their latest offerings, I keep getting underwhelmed and am starting to lose the excitement..

I don't think you can find a TWS with those specs. Especially the call quality. In an A/B test, bluetooth converters (ES100-like) and dongle mics (Jaybird X3-like) far outperform TWS in mic quality. No TWS does multipoint (it's why I use the ES100 for home-office and Jaybirds in the office). Maybe in 2021 with BT 5.2 (sans mic quality).

Oct 13, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #26,503 of 62,437
The TRN BT20s pro has a lot of QC reports in the forums, but a lot of our friends here bought them without issues, so i guess it is really russian roulette. Best to buy it from a place with good returns policy like amazon, just in case.

My BT20s pro was absolute crap... Firstly there's the stupid decision to have the Left adapter at the right side in the case (and vice versa), but I could live with that.

Other than that I experienced the following:

- Terrible bluetooth connection, I could walk 2-3 meters away from my PC and get interference (despite using 5ghz Wifi).
- After a few days, the adapters would no shut down when I put them into the case, so I couldn't charge them
-Finally one of the MMCX connectors came lose. I pulled on the connector and not the cable.

Thankfully I bought them via Amazon, so refund shouldn't be an issue.

I can't recommend them to anyone, hopefully Fiio will release their new True Wireless Adapter soon.

We need to differentiate Bluetooth 5.2, which is the core specification of Bluetooth, and an "application level" specific such as LE Audio (of which one part is the LC3 codec). On this forum we care about LE Audio not just a version of Bluetooth and today only one specification of that has been publicly published (LC3 or low complexity communications codec) which was only about a month ago. I think we'll have to wait a while longer for LE Audio.

Given Bluetooth v5.2 was published on 31 Dec 2019, we're bound to see some hardware support it earlier than LE Audio.

Oh yea, my bad, so there's no improvement for Bluetooth audio with Bluetooth 5.2 without LE-Audio?

I can't wait for next gen Sennheiser MTW3 with LE-audio, it will basically solve every limitation with current Bluetooth technology.

-Standardised low energy/low latency codec (LC3)
-Standardised connection between L/R earbud instead of master/slave, you wont need proprietary Qualcomm tech. For example my current TWS supports qualcomm's TWS+, but my phone doesn't...
- Multi device connection

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #26,504 of 62,437
Oh yea, my bad, so there's no improvement for Bluetooth audio with Bluetooth 5.2 without LE-Audio?

I can't wait for next gen Sennheiser MTW3 with LE-audio, it will basically solve every limitation with current Bluetooth technology.

-Standardised low energy/low latency codec (LC3)
-Standardised connection between L/R earbud instead of master/slave, you wont need proprietary Qualcomm tech. For example my current TWS supports qualcomm's TWS+, but my phone doesn't...
- Multi device connection
Confirmed. Bluetooth 5.2 without LE Audio will not make any significant difference to TWS.

Your playing device will also need to support LE Audio too.

Oct 13, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #26,505 of 62,437
Your playing device will also need to support LE Audio too.

Won't be a problem since it's all standardised from the Bluetooth SIG, and no proprietary crap from Qualcomm :)

I switch phones quite often, and for my PC i'll just buy a new Bluetooth/wifi card once it hits the market.

As of now you can buy a new phone, and it wont support lets say Qualcomm TWS+ or a specfic codec like APTX adaptive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back