Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 8, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #26,371 of 62,434
This evening I am having some fun switching between the Sony WF1000x and the Sony WF1000xm3 and both sound lovely, the original holding up well (besides the ANC ... and probably battery life) but it made me wonder:
Whatever happened to xm2?
C77DA6F4-62AE-4B7A-9EF2-DF9DBC4E9471.jpeg

Oct 8, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #26,373 of 62,434
Well I have sent my Bose earphones back off the back of the 90 day trial. My feeling is that the sound quality of the Jabra 75Ts is more to my taste. The main reasons I returned the Bose's is that the vocals are less spacious and lack the soundstage of the Jabras, and there is a notable drop in the lower end in comparison also. I am personally not a huge fan of the relatively large design either. Given that the Jabras are due to get a noise cancel feature via firmware soon, there was just no compelling reason to keep the Bose's especially at double the price.

Oct 8, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #26,374 of 62,434
I've been away from this thread for awhile, spending a good deal of time creating an earbuds target curve and generating compensation files to make buds more listenable to my ears.

It seems that there could be a similar need with tws earphones. Not so much in experimenting with a new target curve but using wavelet to refine (or salvage) the audio quality. I'm at a place where I have to limit my purchases (jobless), so I've chosen to put some energy into improving what I have.

Tweaking the Haylou GT1

The inventory of wavelet profiles are based on Harman 2019 v.2 iem target, which I find to be a bit too bright due to an aggressive pinna gain and a bit too much treble from 3khz and beyond. For this reason, I favor oratory1990 target.

haylou g1 oratory vs harman vs stock.jpg

The stock tuning of the Haylou GT1 has too much bass bloat to my ears. If you find my correction too bass light, the "bass tuner" in wavelet is excellent. Not only does it target bass FR well, there are also 3 filters that are effective.

If you try it out, let me know what you think.

Attachments

• haylou gt1 oratory.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #26,375 of 62,434
I'll probably make wavelet files with oratory target for:
- fiil t1x
- sony xm3
- apple air pod pros
- mifo 05
- jabra 65t

If anyone lives in the SF Bay Area and has a bunch of TWS', I'd love to measure some more models if the graphs are not on the internet already and make wavelet files. Private message me if you're interested!

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #26,376 of 62,434
Oh, one more thing, if you use my wavelet file, start it at 70% eq strength and go from there to your personal tastes

Oct 8, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #26,377 of 62,434

Yep, when I saw that case I said what are they thinking. That is gonna get messed up and quick probably. Not thinking of them as a portable and something you are taking around with you in pockets and bags/backpacks or whatever. For $300 they only do one thing really and that is sound good cause really no features. So they better do that one job very well. Of course the Hifiman stuff drops really low after a while so they will be $99 if you wait long enough. The first set went down to $69 I think as well as other $300 earphones eventually going to $49. You know you can wait them out since people will have other sets for ANC, ambient, and all the other features.

Oct 8, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #26,378 of 62,434
Can anyone with the Fiil T1 Pro help me with this question I have? I read the ANC can’t be completely turned off, is that true? I ask because I’d like to (also) listen to them while riding my bike and I heard ANC can turn the wind into awful sounds.

Also, I’ve been using the Fiil T1X for a while and have some issues with them sounding muffled when not inserting them in exactly the right way (tip rolled them for a long time). When I wear them when running, sometimes it’s even impossible to get a good fit and i need to turn the volume up to max to hear anything. Maybe this is driver flex? Was wondering if anyone had this with the T1 pros.

Oct 8, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #26,379 of 62,434
Yep, when I saw that case I said what are they thinking. That is gonna get messed up and quick probably. Not thinking of them as a portable and something you are taking around with you in pockets and bags/backpacks or whatever. For $300 they only do one thing really and that is sound good cause really no features. So they better do that one job very well. Of course the Hifiman stuff drops really low after a while so they will be $99 if you wait long enough. The first set went down to $69 I think as well as other $300 earphones eventually going to $49. You know you can wait them out since people will have other sets for ANC, ambient, and all the other features.

The first versions - which I never personally heard - were a colossal failure. Everyone hated the way they sounded. I like Hifiman and hope that these do what they say and that is sound excellent. I'd love to check these out but I think I'll wait for some reviews. Agree that these are way overpriced. They'd have to sound REALLY good to beat out the MTW2/MW07 at the same price point given the superior design and onboard ANC. I was hoping they might be the first to solve the LDAC problem in TWS but I guess not yet. Must be something with the size of the LDAC chip or the battery usage that is prohibiting it from going TWS. Or maybe Sony is holding out to be the first.

Oct 8, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #26,380 of 62,434
Technics/Panasonic updated firmware for EAH-AZ70/RZ-S500W to improve the Ambient Sound Mode: https://www.panasonic.com/ph/consum...ll/true-wireless-earbuds-firmware-update.html
Definitely reduced the white noise hiss and seems to have improved the clarity of the Ambient Sound Mode, which I wasn't all that impressed with on the Panny's. Still some white noise with no music playing but not noticeable while music is playing.

Oct 8, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #26,381 of 62,434
Hey @regancipher and @dwells. I just got my T1 XS today. Well, other than my HUGE disappointment that the ios app thinks they are T1Xs' the sound incredible. I too had to turn on Easy mode just to get the volume controls to work. So strange. Here's the but, I have mine all the way turned up on my XS MAX and they don't get even close to as loud as my T1x's. Have you guys noticed this? Did I get a bad pair? I actually mistook them fro the T1 Pro, so I may return them and get those from Ali. They def. sound better than the T1X.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I had Reduce Loud Sound enabled in ios. I turned it off and it made everything sound terrible, like distorted. I exited spotify, disconnected/reconnected and WHOA!! I guess it was limiting my low end as well, because WOW, these things are singing now!

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #26,382 of 62,434
I'm starting to notice issues with my Tranya M10 as well..

Have you had any connection issues with VOIP calls on zoom etc on your Tranya M10? My calls have been dropping and losing connection on my 4.2 bluetooth capable laptop even when I'm right next to it. I've also experienced the "thump" effect on calls when yesterday the other party on the call out of the blue asked if I was wearing flip flops (which I was :smirk:)
Yea, there is def. some footfall noise. Haven't noticed any issues with Zoom or phone calls, but they don't sound that good and the on board voice sounds like it's from 2001. LOL. They are going back.

Oct 8, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #26,383 of 62,434
Can anyone with the Fiil T1 Pro help me with this question I have? I read the ANC can’t be completely turned off, is that true? I ask because I’d like to (also) listen to them while riding my bike and I heard ANC can turn the wind into awful sounds.

Also, I’ve been using the Fiil T1X for a while and have some issues with them sounding muffled when not inserting them in exactly the right way (tip rolled them for a long time). When I wear them when running, sometimes it’s even impossible to get a good fit and i need to turn the volume up to max to hear anything. Maybe this is driver flex? Was wondering if anyone had this with the T1 pros.
You can disable it. There are three modes Anc on - off - ambient mode on.

See the screen (maf voice)

Screenshot_20201006-143035.jpg

Oct 8, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #26,384 of 62,434

Rather than driver flex, that sounds more like issues with the eartip bore deforming, which does happen from time to time with tight fitting IEMs (usually when paired with tips with long-ish bores). Choosing a eartip that has a shorter bore (or one that is flexible like the bore of Spinfits) might help.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #26,385 of 62,434
Can anyone with Bose check for left side battery drain while not being used? For starters I think there is a bug in the app. The app says both buds are charged 100 percent ever though my samsung detects 10 or 20 percent. I know the samsung is right because my left bud died after a few minutes of use.

So I charged them last night and I unplugged this am. Used them for about 5 minutes tonight. When I put them in the case, the left bud started charging but the right bud showed full. Definitely something going on here. With only 5 minutes of use they both should have showed a full charge or charged together. You can tell they are charging by the flashing light while seated in the case with the top open. Not feeling good about this for 279. Seems like my left bud is draining in sleep mode.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back