Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 16, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #18,661 of 62,431
just got an invite to review Tranya's upcoming B530 Pro. Apparently will have BT5, 80 hours playtime including charges in case, guessing that either means they expect 8 or 10 hours from the iems. also says APTX compatible with CVC8.0. Wonder if they're using Qualcom's QC3020 that would make sense from a battery life perspective and CVC8.0.
They will charge via USB-C and retail for $69.99
Sweet! I just got my invite too! I ordered them on amazon.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #18,662 of 62,431
Got those ikko foam tips in. They do fit shallower like most TWS tips. As long as the diameter also fits there should be few issues.

On Tronsmart Spunky Beat. Left is original tip, right is small T400.

Next to medium and small T400 tips.

Interesting, this is what I've been looking for as Jabra used similar looking ones for the Jabra Elite Sport and they worked well for me. Hard and shallow foam !

So I did the "burn-in" on the T1X and can't here much of a difference. The "fluttering static" (sounds like a shielding problem) that's even more annoying than "white noise" is still there in the right ear of course. I guess I'll be in touch with Geekbuying to send them back as I must have gotten a bum model since no one else seems to have noticed this.

Jan 16, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #18,663 of 62,431
My apologies in advance if this is not the right forum or thread for this post. I have the Cambridge Melomania 1s. There's a ton that I like about them, but I'm thrown off about the battery life. I seem to be getting about 6-7 hours of battery life out of them, but the battery life indicators seem really, really off.

I'm judging the earbud percentage life based on what my phone is telling me. I'll run it 6 hours or so until it gets to 50%-60%. But at that point, it'll drop to dead within 1 hour to 75 minutes. I've reached out to Cambridge Audio, but after a week, I haven't heard back. I reached back out today, so hopefully I'll hear back from them. Anyone else experiencing this?

I didn't keep them as they were a terrible fit but in reading reviews on Amazon and elsewhere I remember many people complaining that they were getting nowhere near the advertized 9 hours but closer to 6 hours so yours are probably not defective...so I wouldn't hold my breath for a reply from CA, at least a useful one !

Jan 16, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #18,664 of 62,431
I got the Mpow M5s before I got the APP and for me it sounds better than the Anbes 359 (original) or Syllable S101 and I agree with @Bartig that it has good sound, even if my musical tastes don't hit it's sweet spot.

However, and this is for me what separates on-ears from TWS for me, I find the case to be the worst of all the TWS I've had, and it is so bad that I've not used it much in spite of it having the best sound. I wouldn't even mention any of the cases for my on-ears but for a TWS they are incredibly important for me.

Let me go through why I dislike it so much:
  1. The case is shaped like a large lozenge, which is just the wrong shape. It is too thick for my trouser pocket but is too small to go into a bag and find it. Easily. Yet in area, it isn't that big.
  2. The outer covering of the fake leather got scratched with my fingernail before I'd even opened it for the first time. It is now scratched everywhere.
  3. I cannot tell which way round to open it without looking at it, and frequently make a mistake even with looking at it.
  4. The lid is difficult to open needing a fingernail under the lid to open it on mine
  5. It is hard for me to get the earphones out of the magnetic grasp
  6. I sometimes mix up left and right when putting them back and there's nothing physically obvious to stop putting L into R and R into L.
  7. The case just feels cheap. The sound on closing the lid, the feel of the outside... the little things which for the cost I paid ($30) is something I'm willing to forgive
  8. It has micro-usb which is again something I'm willing to forgive
Whilst I'm not an Apple fanboy, one has to argue that the APP (and Airpod) got this one spot on, but then in the case of the APP at 7-8 times the cost, they really should have...
I agree that the case of the Mpow M5 is way too big, but for me, one of the biggest TWS struggles of getting the earpieces out of the case, is with the original AirPods or AirPods Pro - that annoying fiddling with the top side of the earpieces!

By the way - I published my Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro review. I try to keep my reviews limited to the 100 dollars mark, but I couldn't pass this one.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #18,665 of 62,431
So I've had the Shanling MTW100 v2 for a few days now, and while I agree with Bartig's review completely (thanks for the great review and informative site btw!), just thought I'd add a few notes here for anyone who's searching.

The passive noise isolation is really good for me. Which is great, but leads to more 'thumping' while walking. Also, as a result ambient mode is pretty much a must while jogging. Switching to ambient mode also lowers the music volume; I have to increase it by 3-4 notches after to get a similar music volume, so if you're already listening near max volume, this might be an issue. For the V2, ambient mode is activated by 4 taps, instead of holding for 3s.

I'm really liking this pair, and beats my previous tws in every regard, though since the latter is a year old Havit G1 (which has the outer rubber falling off, so definitely not a long-lasting pair), that's pretty much to be expected.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #18,666 of 62,431
... one of the biggest TWS struggles of getting the earpieces out of the case, is with the [...] AirPods Pro - that annoying fiddling with the top side of the earpieces!

Once you know how, it is really easy ... this 'trick' is often buried in 10min+ videos on youtube, but this one is short and I already set a marker at 1:27 for you :wink:

Jan 16, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #18,667 of 62,431
Following the recommendation and reviews made on @Bartig site and by fellow gentlemen here, I am currently sitting on a setup of QCY QS2 and SSK BT03.

20200116-151338-HDR.jpg

I really like the looks, non tiring sound and exceptional comfort the QCY offers for longer listening sessions. Seriously impressed with the balanced signature, definitive instrument separation - almost as if sounds come in from 360°.

While for sports use I prefer the SSK for thier noise isolation and natural transparency(yeah sounds contradictory - but is true), absolutely no thump, tight drop proof seal and enhanced bass. But do I hate the blinking lights, seriously why waste battery on blinking alien lights when music is playing thru them

Both earphones have shown maturing sound with more usage, either it the driver or my mind - something is adapting and makes the sound more inclusive and smooth.

Attachments

• 20200116_151338_HDR.jpg
    20200116_151338_HDR.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #18,668 of 62,431
B&O added the third gen E8 to their product page:

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/earphones/beoplay-e8-3rd-gen?variant=beoplay-e8-3-black

They seem really good, but the pricing is 100 EUR too much, there's no way these will sell when they cost more than the Air pods pro, even if they sound better and are prob much more comfortable.

Personally these would prob be end game TWS for me, they tick all boxes besides codecs... Which I think the new Sennheiser will dominate.

Prob best to wait and see if the price get lowered and check what Sennheiser and others will do later this year.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #18,669 of 62,431
I agree that the case of the Mpow M5 is way too big, but for me, one of the biggest TWS struggles of getting the earpieces out of the case, is with the original AirPods or AirPods Pro - that annoying fiddling with the top side of the earpieces!

By the way - I published my Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro review. I try to keep my reviews limited to the 100 dollars mark, but I couldn't pass this one.

Hi! Thanks a lot for your review, maybe you have to do a little update since 2 days ago soundcore app update brings custom EQ also on android :)

PS: I sent you a PM

Jan 16, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #18,670 of 62,431
Not to rain on everyone's parade but if for you AAC codec compatibilty is important (iPhone users), I need to warn you, that so far my QCC3020 equipped Bomaker Sifi, can't connect to any device with AAC but only SBC, On the other side APTX codec does work if forced on my Apple laptop. It's a shame because indeed in terms of sound they are very good while using them with superior APTX versus with SBC...

SBC codec always has a characteristic shrill high pitched overtone sound, when sub-bass sounds are produced. Usually you can hear this clearly with the test "Bass Shaker" over the Audiocheck Headphones Test webpage: https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

If you want to confirm which codec you are using with your Qualcomm 3020 chipset equiped TWSs and if you have an Apple computer, you can press the Bluetooth icon on the top bar together with the Alt key and you get a more complete menu which describes which codec you are currently using with your device.

It's a pitty, but they will be returned to Amazon for false advertising on the AAC codec compatibility. At the same time I've checked the Qualcomm 3020 page and nowhere is to be found AAC compatibility. Amazing that every product equipped with the QCC 3020 (Bomaker Sifi, Mpow M5, Tronsmart Spunky Beats, etc...) they all tout AAC codec compatibility... Chi-fi at its best...

Jan 16, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #18,671 of 62,431
Not to rain on everyone's parade but if for you AAC codec compatibilty is important (iPhone users), I need to warn you, that so far my QCC3020 equipped Bomaker Sifi, can't connect to any device with AAC but only SBC, On the other side APTX codec does work if forced on my Apple laptop. It's a shame because indeed in terms of sound they are very good while using them with superior APTX versus with SBC...

SBC codec always has a characteristic shrill high pitched overtone sound, when sub-bass sounds are produced. Usually you can hear this clearly with the test "Bass Shaker" over the Audiocheck Headphones Test webpage: https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

If you want to confirm which codec you are using with your Qualcomm 3020 chipset equiped TWSs and if you have an Apple computer, you can press the Bluetooth icon on the top bar together with the Alt key and you get a more complete menu which describes which codec you are currently using with your device.

It's a pitty, but they will be returned to Amazon for false advertising on the AAC codec compatibility. At the same time I've checked the Qualcomm 3020 page and nowhere is to be found AAC compatibility. Amazing that every product equipped with the QCC 3020 (Bomaker Sifi, Mpow M5, Tronsmart Spunky Beats, etc...) they all tout AAC codec compatibility... Chi-fi at its best...
Yeah, I can tell SBC quality as well. You can force AAC in developer options, which is a hidden menu on Android phones.

Jan 16, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #18,672 of 62,431
Yeah, I can tell SBC quality as well. You can force AAC in developer options, which is a hidden menu on Android phones.
Yes, I have that menu activated on a secundary android phone, it's called the Developer Menu, but if you check and force AAC while using any of these QCC 3020 TWSs, exit the menu and return to the same Bluetooth option, you'll see that SBC is back on... That happens when the device you are using is not supporting the selected codec. Funny enough I've also tried to connect with APTX on this same device and seems not supporting as well... On the Macbook Pro I have works perfectly APTX if forced on the Terminal...

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #18,673 of 62,431
Yes, I have that menu activated on a secundary android phone, it's called the Developer Menu, but if you check and force AAC while using any of these QCC 3020 TWSs, exit the menu and return to the same Bluetooth option, you'll see that SBC is back on... That happens when the device you are using is not supporting the selected codec. Funny enough I've also tried to connect with APTX on this same device and seems not supporting as well... On the Macbook Pro I have works perfectly APTX if forced on the Terminal...
So, AptX works on MBPro, but not on Android? Weird.

If it goes back to SBC, you have any EQ applied? I know Sony Full-sized XM3 goes to SBC if EQ is applied on their app.

Jan 16, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #18,674 of 62,431
So, AptX works on MBPro, but not on Android? Weird.

If it goes back to SBC, you have any EQ applied? I know Sony Full-sized XM3 goes to SBC if EQ is applied on their app.

No no, there is no EQ setting or even app on the android phone... So again beware of the QCC 3020 devices as all of them will behave similarly to the Bomaker Sifi: no AAC support at all and APTX might be also sketchy on some Android phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back