Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 13, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #18,526 of 62,420
Battle of the dual drivers. Initial impression is the Soundpeats Truengine SE have very warm mid bass with a big sub bass impact. Eqing the bass to a lower quantity allows the mids and highs to shine through. Pretty nice sound quality.

YEr7NdY.jpg

Jan 13, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #18,527 of 62,420
I used the APP on the plane last week and they were pretty silent. The engine noise and hum was almost eliminated and I could watch Netflix at about 50 percent. I’ll try the nuarls on the plane tomorrow. I’d be pretty surprised if the engine drone was gone like with the APP. No iem ive tried has done that on a plane and I usually have to jack the volume.
The only IEM that isolates better than the NC over ears is the Etymotics which I've carried around on travels since the ER-4P (and now ER4-XR). It is OK for constant noises but way better at voices/babies/random noise but OTOH fit and convenience are not match for the APP.

Jan 13, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #18,528 of 62,420
thanks. A few reviews suggested the 700 sound better. Is that your experience?
Both the 700 and QC35 have the same Bose sound signature and the same type of EQ which changes dependent on volume (see Tyll's original QC35 review https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...comfort-35-wireless-noise-canceling-headphone). It therefore also depends what volume you listen at since they have different volume dependent EQ curves. Personally I find the 700 sound better than the QC35 but I know others who are the reverse, however, I prefer the APP over both with NC on. Bose have been promising an EQ for the 700 app since launch but have yet to deliver, and I feel that would make a big difference.

Jan 13, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #18,529 of 62,420
thanks. A few reviews suggested the 700 sound better. Is that your experience?
There are definitely bugs with the 700 (see my previous posts on this and the Bose forums) which Bose have still to fix and are irritating, but the QC35 has some of those bugs too. For me, the only reason to buy the 700s is microphone quality and in that respect there is no better BT headphone/IEM/TWS out right now. It is seriously impressive in a noisy environment.

I actually prefer the 700 way of folding over the Sony WH/Bose QC35 way since it is simpler, quicker and ends up with a thinner but larger case that fits my flight bags better.

Jan 13, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #18,530 of 62,420
Got the SSK BT03 today, after waiting two months for the shipment. Bought at AliExpress.
And of course... finally looking forward to test them out, and the right bud has less bass/volume than the left one. Have tried several different tips, so it's not a fit issue.
Anyone else with similar experiences?
It's a faulty product, 100% sure. The right bud has almost no bass, and a little lower volume compared to the left.
Unusable.

Now I got a proposal of $10 (paid $29) from SSK on AliExpress. (I opened a dispute)
What to do??!

Jan 13, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #18,532 of 62,420
I have the same problem with my ceppekky h0. Hahaha that's a bad quote. Keyboard is too big on my tablet. I was referring to touch controls being annoying.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #18,533 of 62,420
ok I broke down and got the FIIL T1X from Geekbuying shipped from Italy, so they should be here by the end of the week. They're 2x the Amazon US price but since I'm sending back my Bomakers (just don't sit properly in my right ear if I start moving around) that's freeing up some funds. Also if the T1X are indeed better than the L2Ps as is claimed by some I'll be saving even more...and will be happy to ditch the hiss (I have v2) in any case !

Jan 13, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #18,534 of 62,420
Battle of the dual drivers. Initial impression is the Soundpeats Truengine SE have very warm mid bass with a big sub bass impact. Eqing the bass to a lower quantity allows the mids and highs to shine through. Pretty nice sound quality.

YEr7NdY.jpg
Weird, I thought the SoundPeats were some of the worst Qualcomm based TWS' iv'e ever heard. Hollow and Cave like. While the L2pro is in my top 5. Kind of like comparing a Maserati to a Nissan Altima. :grin:

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #18,535 of 62,420
Weird, I thought the SoundPeats were some of the worst Qualcomm based TWS' iv'e ever heard. Hollow and Cave like. While the L2pro is in my top 5. Kind of like comparing a Maserati to a Nissan Altima. :grin:
I've seen yours and bartig's impression on the truengine SE which were unfavorable. I'm not sure if Soundpeats have tweaked the sound, but mine sounds pretty good, crystal clear mids and highs, the bass needs to be lowered a tad to overcome it's power. In fact, I like the highs in the truengine better than the L2P, the L2P has that metallic treble typical of armature drivers. I also feel the truengine has a wider soundstage than the L2P. The fit on the truengine is also better as it is a typical earbud fit and is very comfortable, while the L2P never really felt secure due to the size of the buds outside the ear cavity. The bass on the L2P has better quality though and the battery life is better.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #18,536 of 62,420
Jan 13, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #18,537 of 62,420
Got my tronsmart spunky beats 2 weeks ago actually, but haven't really listening with it until 2 days ago. Sound quality is great, pretty balance of bass, mid and high. The sound is kinda similar to mpow m5 imho. Fit is great once you change the tips. I am using foam tips. Case is great and the built in charging cable is quite useful. One thing that I hate from this TWS is the touch control. This thing is shaped kind of flat which makes them very low profile unlike most other TWS that sticking out your ears when worn but that is also its downside because the touch control is very sensitive and you will 100% "accidentally" touch the TWS and it will pause your music.
Also, I just experienced not long ago that the TWS will just disconnected and powering off by itself, this is only happened to me once and I don't know what causes it. Another weakness is the bluetooth connection strength. If I cupped my hand to one side of my ear, the connection from that side of IEM will be cut out. Otherwise, the connection and re-connection speed is really fast. I haven't tried the microphone for calling yet and I will update if I have done it in near future.
Overall, for only $24 at AE, this TWS is pretty good in value. The best feature from Tronsmart Spunky Beat is their sound quality. It might not be the most fun sounding aka bass monster, but it provide you with good clarity, detail and timbre, nice separation and soundstage, and a sound profile that you can enjoy for long listening time (no sibilance or spiky treble).

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #18,538 of 62,420
Got my tronsmart spunky beats 2 weeks ago actually, but haven't really listening with it until 2 days ago. Sound quality is great, pretty balance of bass, mid and high. The sound is kinda similar to mpow m5 imho. Fit is great once you change the tips. I am using foam tips. Case is great and the built in charging cable is quite useful. One thing that I hate from this TWS is the touch control. This thing is shaped kind of flat which makes them very low profile unlike most other TWS that sticking out your ears when worn but that is also its downside because the touch control is very sensitive and you will 100% "accidentally" touch the TWS and it will pause your music.
Also, I just experienced not long ago that the TWS will just disconnected and powering off by itself, this is only happened to me once and I don't know what causes it. Another weakness is the bluetooth connection strength. If I cupped my hand to one side of my ear, the connection from that side of IEM will be cut out. Otherwise, the connection and re-connection speed is really fast. I haven't tried the microphone for calling yet and I will update if I have done it in near future.
Overall, for only $24 at AE, this TWS is pretty good in value. The best feature from Tronsmart Spunky Beat is their sound quality. It might not be the most fun sounding aka bass monster, but it provide you with good clarity, detail and timbre, nice separation and soundstage, and a sound profile that you can enjoy for long listening time (no sibilance or spiky treble).

After using mine for a week I got used to the touch sensors and no longer do that everytime lol.

I ordered those ikko foams since they are shallower fit like the stock tips. I have small shallow ears so hopefully they work out.

Anyone using these foam tips? Considering trying them out as it looks like they may work with some TWS cases and still charge.

ikko i-planet
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07WG5Q129/

Jan 13, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #18,539 of 62,420
Got my tronsmart spunky beats 2 weeks ago actually, but haven't really listening with it until 2 days ago. Sound quality is great, pretty balance of bass, mid and high. The sound is kinda similar to mpow m5 imho.

Thanks for the information. I've been considering both the Spunky Beats and the Mpow m5, so I'd be curious to know which sound signature you prefer. I don't need crazy amounts of bass. My preference is clarity, no sibilance or shrillness in the high end, plus good separation and a wide soundstage. In your opinion, which of these would best meet that need?

Thanks again.

Jan 13, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #18,540 of 62,420
I got the Mpow M5s before I got the APP and for me it sounds better than the Anbes 359 (original) or Syllable S101 and I agree with @Bartig that it has good sound, even if my musical tastes don't hit it's sweet spot.

However, and this is for me what separates on-ears from TWS for me, I find the case to be the worst of all the TWS I've had, and it is so bad that I've not used it much in spite of it having the best sound. I wouldn't even mention any of the cases for my on-ears but for a TWS they are incredibly important for me.

Let me go through why I dislike it so much:
  1. The case is shaped like a large lozenge, which is just the wrong shape. It is too thick for my trouser pocket but is too small to go into a bag and find it. Easily. Yet in area, it isn't that big.
  2. The outer covering of the fake leather got scratched with my fingernail before I'd even opened it for the first time. It is now scratched everywhere.
  3. I cannot tell which way round to open it without looking at it, and frequently make a mistake even with looking at it.
  4. The lid is difficult to open needing a fingernail under the lid to open it on mine
  5. It is hard for me to get the earphones out of the magnetic grasp
  6. I sometimes mix up left and right when putting them back and there's nothing physically obvious to stop putting L into R and R into L.
  7. The case just feels cheap. The sound on closing the lid, the feel of the outside... the little things which for the cost I paid ($30) is something I'm willing to forgive
  8. It has micro-usb which is again something I'm willing to forgive
Whilst I'm not an Apple fanboy, one has to argue that the APP (and Airpod) got this one spot on, but then in the case of the APP at 7-8 times the cost, they really should have...

This post has "1st World Problems" all over it lol...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back