Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 1, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #14,656 of 62,453
Cancelled my Amazon order and decided to go to the Apple Store to pick up the AirPods Pro instead. Naturally, I compared them to my Sony, with mixed results.

- AirPods Pro are more comfortable.
- Call quality is far better.
- Great iOS integration with always on Siri.
- Mid-range bump, so vocals cut through the mix nicely.
- Great connection strength to iPhone. Walking around the house was a breeze. Maintained connection in locations where my other TWS' typically start to get choppy.
- Effective ANC.
- Very pocketable.

BUT...

- ANC is a little better on the Sony. A/B test near a fairly loud oscillating fan I use and the Sony nearly blocked all the noise, while the AirPod Pros were at about 80%.
- Vents on the AirPods Pro seem to let in upper mid to high frequency noise that the ANC can't deal with. Does well with low frequency droning noises, but it seems the lack of physical isolation hurts overall noise attenuation.
- Sound is a bit raspy. It's as if there's a thin raspy haze overlaying the sound.
- Overall, I think the Sony sound better, quite a bit better, actually and simply sound richer, fuller, and image better.

Ultimately, if they were a little cheaper, I would keep them, but for $249 ($270 with tax), they are not a keeper for me.

This is the same conclusion I came up with as well. I plan on keeping them over the Sony’s however. My reason is I need a solid and reliable earphone for work purposes. The Sony sound great but Sony really needs to tighten things up with the firmware. I doubt they will. They like to save that for newer models. I had issues of it not always answering the phone and constant reconnect issues where I would have to sometimes put them back in their case and take back out to get them to connect. Not a big deal for around the house but a pain to deal with at work. If the pros perform like the originals, and they seems to so far, I shouldn’t have many issues. And the transparency is the best of any others I have tried.

Nov 1, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #14,658 of 62,453
Would be interested in your feedback if you get them. Be aware that they only have Forcefeed ANC though (Sony or APP or Track Air+) have Feedback ANC too so will be less efficient, which is consistent with the feedback here and in reviews where the ANC has been decribed as "mild".

How do you find the fit and the isolation of the MW07 GO ?

@rhsauer - how did the ANC testing in the tube go with your APP and Echo Buds ?

They both do a nice job making the subway ride much more pleasant and the music I'm listening to much easier to hear. As I mentioned before, the better ANC on the AirPods is largely offset by the better passive isolation of the Amazon Echo Buds. The Echo Buds sound better the longer I listen to them -- they're a completely reasonable alternative to the APP. It just took me a while to find tips that worked for me with the Echo Buds.

Nov 1, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #14,659 of 62,453
This is the same conclusion I came up with as well. I plan on keeping them over the Sony’s however. My reason is I need a solid and reliable earphone for work purposes. The Sony sound great but Sony really needs to tighten things up with the firmware. I doubt they will. They like to save that for newer models. I had issues of it not always answering the phone and constant reconnect issues where I would have to sometimes put them back in their case and take back out to get them to connect. Not a big deal for around the house but a pain to deal with at work. If the pros perform like the originals, and they seems to so far, I shouldn’t have many issues. And the transparency is the best of any others I have tried.

Sony is ostensibly working on a firmware update to improve connectivity issues between the WF-1000XM3 and the iPhone 11 series.

Nov 1, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #14,660 of 62,453
They both do a nice job making the subway ride much more pleasant and the music I'm listening to much easier to hear. As I mentioned before, the better ANC on the AirPods is largely offset by the better passive isolation of the Amazon Echo Buds. The Echo Buds sound better the longer I listen to them -- they're a completely reasonable alternative to the APP. It just took me a while to find tips that worked for me with the Echo Buds.
What tips did you end up using ? What's nice about the APPs is that you drop them in and job done, no need to worry about twisting them, pushing them in, checking the seal, etc...

It seems that despite the fact that Amazon (and Bose) went to some lengths to call it "noise reduction" and not "noise cancellation" they do a good job. Would you say better than the MW07 Plus ? These are in fact "half ANC" since they're "Forcefeed ANC" only not "Forcefeed+Feedback". The mysteries of marketing :wink:

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #14,661 of 62,453
Sony is ostensibly working on a firmware update to improve connectivity issues between the WF-1000XM3 and the iPhone 11 series.
Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I’ll wait until then before I decide to sell them. They aren’t bad earphones, but Sony doesn’t always have the best track record. I had the wf-1000’s and at the time they were probably the best sounding true wireless, but they never really fixed the connection issues with those. You have to turn off everything for them to function right. I’ll admit that the newer ones aren’t as bad as those, but I’ll believe it when it happens.

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #14,662 of 62,453
What tips did you end up using ? What's nice about the APPs is that you drop them in and job done, no need to worry about twisting them, pushing them in, checking the seal, etc...

It seems that despite the fact that Amazon (and Bose) went to some lengths to call it "noise reduction" and not "noise cancellation" they do a good job. Would you say better than the MW07 Plus ? These are in fact "half ANC" since they're "Forcefeed ANC" only not "Forcefeed+Feedback". The mysteries of marketing :wink:

On the Amazon Echo Buds, I ended up using the large silicon tips that came with the Jabra Elite Active (their older IEM). I was using the large tips that came with the Jabra 65t, but they got uncomfortable after a while. The ones I'm using now are perfect. The noise reduction on the Amazon Echo Buds is more effective than the ANC on the MW07+, perhaps significantly so. Again, the passive noise reduction inherent in their design makes a big difference.

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #14,663 of 62,453
Exactly the tips I pulled out for the T5s/M5s, they're good aren't they ! Good to hear that the ANC in the echo buds works well, in spite of the "marketing talk" playing it down, will be looking forward to trying them out when they make it to Europe.

Nov 1, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #14,664 of 62,453
Cancelled my Amazon order and decided to go to the Apple Store to pick up the AirPods Pro instead. Naturally, I compared them to my Sony, with mixed results.

- AirPods Pro are more comfortable.
- Call quality is far better.
- Great iOS integration with always on Siri.
- Mid-range bump, so vocals cut through the mix nicely.
- Great connection strength to iPhone. Walking around the house was a breeze. Maintained connection in locations where my other TWS' typically start to get choppy.
- Effective ANC.
- Very pocketable.

BUT...

- ANC is a little better on the Sony. A/B test near a fairly loud oscillating fan I use and the Sony nearly blocked all the noise, while the AirPod Pros were at about 80%.
- Vents on the AirPods Pro seem to let in upper mid to high frequency noise that the ANC can't deal with. Does well with low frequency droning noises, but it seems the lack of physical isolation hurts overall noise attenuation.
- Sound is a bit raspy. It's as if there's a thin raspy haze overlaying the sound.
- Overall, I think the Sony sound better, quite a bit better, actually and simply sound richer, fuller, and image better.

Ultimately, if they were a little cheaper, I would keep them, but for $249 ($270 with tax), they are not a keeper for me.

Since your going to the Apple store anyway, you should give the power beats a try. I'm really liking these, they are comfortable and stay in place and very low profile for outside use.

Nov 1, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #14,665 of 62,453
Since your going to the Apple store anyway, you should give the power beats a try. I'm really liking these, they are comfortable and stay in place and very low profile for outside use.

I had them on an interim basis whilst my BeatsX were being replaced by Apple. They are quite large, no? I suppose it's what you are okay with. However, I definitely found the case too thick to be put into your pocket.

Nov 1, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #14,666 of 62,453
I got the Airpods Pro (never owned airpods prior to this) and I was immediately impressed by the ease of set up and use. Very impressive. The build quality is great except for the tips. I find the tips to feel a little cheap and a little tough to get off (I feel like I am going to rip them). With that being said, the isolation and ANC is very good. I always found that IEMs do a comparable job of filtering out voices as over the ear ANC headphones. Toss ANC into IEMs and the effect is fantastic. Probably better than my Sony XM2 (for voices). So far, I am impressed with the ANC, ease of use, fit and comfort.

I find the sound to be a bit thin and the bass to be a bit lacking. If I go back and forth between my copper turbine's and the airpods, the difference in SQ is very apparent. This is to be expected, but still I am a little disappointed. Maybe I need to keep playing the different size tips. At the end of the day, these are for work trips, phone calls, on the move activities and not for use on the plane (my XM2 are for that) so I can probably live with the SQ as is

Nov 1, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #14,667 of 62,453
I've been able to connect the BT20 to any computer/ device I've tried, and it's been pretty reliable. Only getting periodic 1-sec or so dropouts on my work Mac, but not very often at all. I've really been pleasantly surprised by the whole experience, and having no cables is exceedingly more enjoyable than I anticipated. The most surprising thing so far is how nice this setup sounds with my Sony WM1A. I mean, it's such a huge, detailed, environment of sonic details... incredible. I was expecting a marked degradation in SQ over wired with any device paired up to. But it's the opposite with the WM1A.

OH10_TRN BT20_WM1A.jpg

Nov 1, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #14,668 of 62,453
I had them on an interim basis whilst my BeatsX were being replaced by Apple. They are quite large, no? I suppose it's what you are okay with. However, I definitely found the case too thick to be put into your pocket.
If I go to the store with them on I leave the case at home. As for the size, they are bigger than most but, when you have them on they sit rather flush to your ears. I like the slick design of these and everything works well. There is a button on it and it's really easy to push and they won't go further in to your ear when you push the button like a lot of other brands

Nov 1, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #14,670 of 62,453
I was previously using the QCY T1S but have lost the charging case for it. Now I’m in the market for a new pair of wireless IEMs and saw the QCY T5. Anyone have experience with them? Particularly in terms of the call quality (T1S was terrible in picking up sound).

Alternatively, any good recommendations for wireless IEMs in that particular price range? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back