Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 28, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #12,527 of 62,422
My experience the outgoing call quality is about as good as you find on a TWE, excluding perhaps the AirPods (which I’ve never had and don’t fit my ears). I called a friend from the subway platform and it was (reportedly) fine. That’s never happened before. Sound wise, they’re fine - but I like the mpow T5s better.

I'm on various conference calls on various systems and other direct calls most of my working day/evening. I use the TWS to carry on these calls when I'm walking the dog or indoors activity that needs me to move, as I have a very good wired system for most of the day. The outgoing call quality is pretty critical to me, as well as being able to hear decent voice audio in both ears, and great bluetooth connectivity. Obviously between calls I listen to music...

Having got an Airpod v1 and tried the Powerbeats Pro for phone calls several times, I can say that the Airpods are not good enough when there's wind around, and are just about OK if there's background noise. The current leader for me, by a huge margin, for outgoing call quality is the Bose 700 over ears, but for incoming voice quality it remains the PXC550 which has an EQ for incoming voice plus noise cancelling which is really nice.

The Anbes 359 are great when there is no background noise but are useless when there is any background noise, which means they are indoor only. I've tried quite a few other TWS... and noticed that the promised CVC for correcting background noise is next to useless unless there are multiple microphones, which most of them don't have but the Plantronics do. The Jabra Elite 65s pick up too much background noise when you speak in a noise or windy environment but they are OK...

Hence why the Plantronics 5100 are interesting to me. Plantronics have a great reputation for making decent call quality and suppressing background noise...

Is there any chance someone can test them with wind blowing into the side with the master and near a road with some traffic, please? Also, any clue what its signature playing music (I'm an ER4P/ER4XR fan)?

Thanks

Sep 28, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #12,528 of 62,422
To my experience the outgoing call quality is about as good as you find on a TWE, excluding perhaps the AirPods (which I’ve never had and don’t fit my ears). I called a friend from the subway platform and it was (reportedly) fine. That’s never happened before. Sound wise, they’re fine - but I like the mpow T5s better.
I agree. I made a few calls and was told I sounded loud and clear. I told them I was planning on using this for business calls and they indicated it sounded perfect for that use. There also seems to a side tone, so you're not yelling with the buds in your ears. The sound is good and the typical Plantronics signature (big bass, slightly less pulled back/"cleaned up" mid range, and a splash of treble). If you've heard the BackBeat Pro 2 Over Ear, it's fairly similar. They have touch and physical controls as well that can be customized to a certain extent. Quite a few features that cater to the professional user, so I can see these as a daily driver for the office. Fit is great and very comfortable. The physical buttons are easy to press and are positioned in a way that the buds don't jam into your ear canal. Firmware updates available via App. Only downside is the case is just OK; all plastic with Micro USB.

By contrast, the RHA TrueConnect (same price) has a much nicer case (metal, USB-C) with perhaps a little better sound, but calls are not close to being comparable, doesn't fit nearly as well, and far fewer bells & whistles. I will say that I enjoy the bass of the BackBeat Pro 5100 more than the RHA TrueConnect.

Sep 28, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #12,529 of 62,422
I'm on various conference calls on various systems and other direct calls most of my working day/evening. I use the TWS to carry on these calls when I'm walking the dog or indoors activity that needs me to move, as I have a very good wired system for most of the day. The outgoing call quality is pretty critical to me, as well as being able to hear decent voice audio in both ears, and great bluetooth connectivity. Obviously between calls I listen to music...

Having got an Airpod v1 and tried the Powerbeats Pro for phone calls several times, I can say that the Airpods are not good enough when there's wind around, and are just about OK if there's background noise. The current leader for me, by a huge margin, for outgoing call quality is the Bose 700 over ears, but for incoming voice quality it remains the PXC550 which has an EQ for incoming voice plus noise cancelling which is really nice.

The Anbes 359 are great when there is no background noise but are useless when there is any background noise, which means they are indoor only. I've tried quite a few other TWS... and noticed that the promised CVC for correcting background noise is next to useless unless there are multiple microphones, which most of them don't have but the Plantronics do. The Jabra Elite 65s pick up too much background noise when you speak in a noise or windy environment but they are OK...

Hence why the Plantronics 5100 are interesting to me. Plantronics have a great reputation for making decent call quality and suppressing background noise...

Is there any chance someone can test them with wind blowing into the side with the master and near a road with some traffic, please? Also, any clue what its signature playing music (I'm an ER4P/ER4XR fan)?

Thanks
Here's a pretty comprehensive review in Thai, but the nuts and bolts of the review are the same. Does the fan test and rides on a scooter with a helmet.

Sep 28, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #12,530 of 62,422
Also picked up the Anker Soundcore Liberty Air 2 (I believe these are 1 step down from the hybrid driver flagship) at Best Buy yesterday. So far, impressed. "Diamond" coated drivers, App with EQ presets (there a 22, so most will find something suitable), responsive touch controls that can be customized, call quality was also really good. USB-C. Wireless Charging.

The call quality test in this case was I had my teenage son wear them so he can call me so I could personally hear what the mic sounds like. The call quality was actually really good and honestly, if I didn't know better, I'd think he was just talking on the phone. Quiet home environment, so take it for what it's worth.

Sound-wise, they are fantastic. I enjoy the their "Signature" preset and when feeling a little "Beast Mode", the Bass Boost preset. Notes/instruments sound precise. There is no haze here. Very impressed.

IMG_2327.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #12,532 of 62,422
I just sent back the MPOW T5, the WaveFun, Bomaker SiFi, and the Ofusho F16.
The MPOW sounded fine, but the push buttons were annoying.
The best so far for me have been the Tranya B530. Better for me than the other Tranya models. The touch controls on the 530 work very well, and to my ear the sound signature and stage are impressive.

So I lied. I just found I forgot to send the Bomaker back . After talking to a buddy that has been loving these, I tried with a pair of Comply tips. Man they sound damn good. More bass now. And with this tiny form factor, IPX7, etc etc, for $29 bucks. How can I send them back. I’m down to these and the B530. Waiting for the Tevi this week, which may best both but we shall see.

Sep 28, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #12,534 of 62,422
Just got the Tevi. Color me disappointed. it's a T5 with a lot less bass and cleaner crisper highs. It makes the T5 sound super bassy and even a bit muddy. Very weird. It's def. a quality TWS' but the buttons are harder to press and it has a more narrow soundstage which acutally sounds really good. I can't see my self using this for anything other than classical music, acoustic and audiobooks. UGH!! I'm going to run a burn in on it and see if the bass opens up. Literally, almost NO Bass. I'm so damn sad right now.

Edit: The Volume of the Tevi is much lower than the T5, but I have to admit the mids and highs sound nice, but the are a little bright. Reminds me of the Yineme S3 Alien Ambes Clone, but w/o the high mid boost.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #12,535 of 62,422
Just got the Tevi. Color me disappointed. it's a T5 with a lot less bass and cleaner crisper highs. It makes the T5 sound super bassy and even a bit muddy. Very weird. It's def. a quality TWS' but the buttons are harder to press and it has a more narrow soundstage which acutally sounds really good. I can't see my self using this for anything other than classical music, acoustic and audiobooks. UGH!! I'm going to run a burn in on it and see if the bass opens up. Literally, almost NO Bass. I'm so damn sad right now.

Edit: The Volume of the Tevi is much lower than the T5, but I have to admit the mids and highs sound nice, but the are a little bright. Reminds me of the Yineme S3 Alien Ambes Clone, but w/o the high mid boost.

how's the Tevi compared to the Tin T2? does it even has less bass than the T2?

Sep 28, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #12,536 of 62,422
Sep 28, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #12,537 of 62,422

Great feedback!

Sep 28, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #12,538 of 62,422
So I lied. I just found I forgot to send the Bomaker back . After talking to a buddy that has been loving these, I tried with a pair of Comply tips. Man they sound damn good. More bass now. And with this tiny form factor, IPX7, etc etc, for $29 bucks. How can I send them back. I’m down to these and the B530. Waiting for the Tevi this week, which may best both but we shall see.

Which size Comply's work with the Bomakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back