Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 9, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #376 of 62,387
I also am waiting on a pair of Sol-Republic Amps that got cheap on Ebay. Any word on how they perform or hold up battery wise?

I have had a set of these for about a year now. I did not like the fidelity and I'm sad to report that even though I barely used them one of the buds stopped working after I used them for jogging in less than 1 week. Maybe you will have better luck then I.

Mar 9, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #377 of 62,387
I got the Sol Republic Amps and have been hit and miss so far. Getting them to pair to each other for one. And unlike the other wireless units I have used are they supposed to show up individually in the BT pairing window? And for no reason from time to time the audio will suddenly go out of sync causing an echo effect...happens no matter what paired source is used. And the ear fit has much to be desired using the supplied tips. I tried double flanged tips and settled on set of Spinfit because they give an added 2mm length into the ear. I do not know where the shape of the IEMs came from but because it does not resemble the human ear at all the fit and sound isolation suffers greatly especially with any movement of the jaw. The sound is pretty good volume wise once a good airtight fit is established but then you do not dare move/talk/chew or do anything mouth related (you can fill in the blank there). I am just glad I did not shell out a great deal for them and just might do a return. Anyone know of a anyone who does custom silicone type sleeves for IEMs? Or inform of how to make them if one already has the hard molds (had customs made from my triple fi's)?

Mar 10, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #378 of 62,387
PSB TW1
Jabra Elite Sport
Bose SoundSport Free

I have experience with all three and I had the opportunity to demo the Sony WF1000X.
Sony’s battery life is only 3 hrs. I actually got less than that. Sound is good, but I would take the Jebra Elite Sport over the Sony.
There is also the new Jabra 65t that gets very good reviews.

PSB has the best sound IMO.
Hopefully the Ver.2 will come with charging case. I will be all over it.

the PSB's seem like a good value for the $. SQ is definitely a big factor for me, planning to use paired with my iphone 6s. will the lack of AAC support be noticeable? I use apple music a lot..

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #379 of 62,387
also looking for a true wireless IEM...visited the shop last week and tried a few - Elite Sport, E8, SoundSport Free, Tokyo, Run and 65t.

i just fell in love with the 65t - it has the next best open SQ (1st would be the E8) that i prefer. i like the fit and specially - the price!

too bad they were OOS - had to go back next week to get a pair! :ksc75smile:

Mar 11, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #382 of 62,387
When looking for the best connection, are jabra 65t the ones to go for?

I have had the QCY T1 Pro for 1 week, and under normal use I think I have not listened through 1 song before the left earpiece drops out and reconnects. Even inside with the source on the right side it can disconnect if I move my head.

Too bad since they fit good, and the sound is not too bad. Have other qcy bluetooth products that im satisfied with.

I have tested the sony version, but it dropped connection on me, so took a 29$ gamble on the new qcy ones.

Mar 11, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #383 of 62,387
When looking for the best connection, are jabra 65t the ones to go for?

I have had the QCY T1 Pro for 1 week, and under normal use I think I have not listened through 1 song before the left earpiece drops out and reconnects. Even inside with the source on the right side it can disconnect if I move my head.

Too bad since they fit good, and the sound is not too bad. Have other qcy bluetooth products that im satisfied with.

I have tested the sony version, but it dropped connection on me, so took a 29$ gamble on the new qcy ones.

I don’t have the Jabra 65t but own the the Jabra Elite Sport and the connection is rock solid. Been using them at home in the office and out and about in a super busy city and connection never dropped once.
PSB’s connection is solid as wel, Bose Soundsport Free is good indoors but spotty outdoors.

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #384 of 62,387
think im giving the jabra a try. A weeks try with these poor qcy wireless makes me not wanting to go back to my "normal" bt in ear buds.

edit.
well, i tested the 65t on an hour walk in heavy snowfall. Phone inside jacket in a waterproof bag.
Counted something like 5-6 "disruptions" They never lost connection or changed volume etc.

Just a quick small glitch before continuing as normal. So they passed that test.

One small thing, the tips are not that secure on the earpiece. Got one loose in my ear.

maybe a little loctite could help

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #385 of 62,387
I've purchased & returned several (Sony WF‑1000X, Jabra Elite Sport, Bragi The Headphone, Rowkin Bit Charge, some random Chinese brands off Amazon), but ended up going with the Bose SoundSport Free. Since I don't care about isolation, the open design is not an issue for me, but if isolation is what you're looking for, these are not it. I personally prefer semi-open IEMs for their long-term comfort vs. those you jam in your ear and rely on a consistent seal (pressure, suction, etc.).

For Bluetooth truly wireless, these sound amazing. I find myself grabbing these over my wired 1More Triple Driver/Quad DAC LG G6. They are comfortable for extended wear and the charging case is top-notch. I'm usually a bit low on Bose, but they did a great job with these.

PROS
- Excellent sound for the form factor, which I even prefer over my wired IEMs. They measure surprisingly well https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/bose/soundsport-free.
- Sounds better than the Bose SoundSport Wireless (I still own) and Bose QuietControl 30 (returned). When comparing the measurements, to me, they illustrate the real-world differences quite accurately.
- I have no issues with signal. I can manually disrupt the signal if I cover the right earbud with my hand, but other than that, I don't experience drop outs (using the most recent firmware update).
- Semi-open design. This is a PRO if you like to have some level of awareness, which I also feel adds a bit to the soundstage.
- Full user control on the right earbud.

CONS
- Video delay with YouTube. However, I do not have any appreciable delay with Amazon Video or Netflix. Videos I shoot myself on my Apple iPhone 7 Plus also do not have any appreciable delay.
- Buttons are a bit firm and hard to press. They seem to work out a bit over time, but it's still on the firm side. You do, however, push down vs. inward, which does not hurt your ear canal when changing volume or tracks.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #386 of 62,387
I've purchased & returned several (Sony WF‑1000X, Jabra Elite Sport, Bragi The Headphone, Rowkin Bit Charge, some random Chinese brands off Amazon), but ended up going with the Bose SoundSport Free. Since I don't care about isolation, the open design is not an issue for me, but if isolation is what you're looking for, these are not it. I personally prefer semi-open IEMs for their long-term comfort vs. those you jam in your ear and rely on a consistent seal (pressure, suction, etc.).

For Bluetooth truly wireless, these sound amazing. I find myself grabbing these over my wired 1More Triple Driver/Quad DAC LG G6. They are comfortable for extended wear and the charging case is top-notch. I'm usually a bit low on Bose, but they did a great job with these.

PROS
- Excellent sound for the form factor, which I even prefer over my wired IEMs. They measure surprisingly well https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/bose/soundsport-free.
- Sounds better than the Bose SoundSport Wireless (I still own) and Bose QuietControl 30 (returned). When comparing the measurements, to me, they illustrate the real-world differences quite accurately.
- I have no issues with signal. I can manually disrupt the signal if I cover the right earbud with my hand, but other than that, I don't experience drop outs (using the most recent firmware update).
- Semi-open design. This is a PRO if you like to have some level of awareness, which I also feel adds a bit to the soundstage.
- Full user control on the right earbud.

CONS
- Video delay with YouTube. However, I do not have any appreciable delay with Amazon Video or Netflix. Videos I shoot myself on my Apple iPhone 7 Plus also do not have any appreciable delay.
- Buttons are a bit firm and hard to press. They seem to work out a bit over time, but it's still on the firm side. You do, however, push down vs. inward, which does not hurt your ear canal when changing volume or tracks.

Sound quality is good, I been having some issues with them though.
Connection is not great in busy places. I live in a city and get dropouts inside malls or just walking around, no issues indoors though.
They become unusable in noisy places, phone calls from right side only is super annoying and a poor design choice by Bose.
Video delay is definitely noticeable but personally I don’t use them for video.
I’m not a fan of their design too as they are huge compared to other Bluetooth earphones that I have been using, and wind noise is also a direct result of their side.
Overall I think it’s a decent option but I’m having a hard time recommending them to friends and coworkers.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #387 of 62,387
I've owned the Jabra 65T for close to 3 weeks now. Worn them during my daily 5-7 walk/ jog as well as while riding on public transportation buses. There hasn't been a single drop off of the Bluetooth signal.

I don't miss the tether from wires during my jogs at all.

During a pretty sweaty 7 mile excursion, the left ear bud popped out and bounced around the pavement. Wiped it off and it was still working. Yay!!

Im still sold on the Jabra 65T!!!

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #388 of 62,387
Any portable fully wireless IEM is liberating, and with liberation comes all sorts of places to use the IEMs.

So that becomes a personal determining factor in what features make a difference for the buyer. Part of it is making peace with whatever could be lacking, while emphasizing the features that make it worthwhile.

In my case, an open design is a problem, because my preferred place to listen to my fully wireless IEM is on the railroad and the subway. But in the cases of making a call, an open design supports being able to hear oneself, so that phone calls are more natural to the IEM wearer.

What that insinuates is that perfection in fully wireless IEM could be mythical and it comes down to the subjectivity of what's acceptable to each individual.

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #389 of 62,387
I've owned the Jabra 65T for close to 3 weeks now. Worn them during my daily 5-7 walk/ jog as well as while riding on public transportation buses. There hasn't been a single drop off of the Bluetooth signal.

I don't miss the tether from wires during my jogs at all.

During a pretty sweaty 7 mile excursion, the left ear bud popped out and bounced around the pavement. Wiped it off and it was still working. Yay!!

Im still sold on the Jabra 65T!!!

feedback like this makes me want to own the 65t even more - i'll be getting mine in a few days :ksc75smile:

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #390 of 62,387
feedback like this makes me want to own the 65t even more - i'll be getting mine in a few days :ksc75smile:

the 65t seems very solid for me regarding connection. Tested them now for 3 hour walks combined. A few disruptions, but not lost connections or changed sound level etc. Just some quick glitches. But then I had my phone or dap inside a jacket and waterproof bag.

like the double tap on the right one when crossing roads or talking to someone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back