Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 28, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #14,311 of 62,386
I do know it.

TWS3 is the oldest one, followed by TWS2, TWS1 and TWS5.

TWS1 has Qualcomm QCC3020, TWS5 has Qualcomm QCC3026.

Also:

TWS1 has 8mm dynamic drivers, TWS5 has 6mm dynamic drivers, and impedance is different too: TWS1 has 32 omega while TWS5 has 16 omega.

Sensitivity is 98db on TWS1 and 102db on TWS5.

They speak of "bio-diaphragm", anyone knows what that is supposed to be?
Those use Foster drivers that come with RP bio cone. It's a celuloze very thin fiber cone (thin paper alike) that dances like crazy. On TWS1 they used less premium cone (a tad ticker) so LPS is couple dB down. On TWS5 they used more premium "RP series" cone so it's 102~103 dB LPS. All together all Foster drivers are tuned (traditionally Onkyo Institute recipe) towards being mid centric and their is (rather linear) bass roll off at 50 Hz, highs don't look spectacular, are easy to drive and their don't messure great. In practice they are great, well balanced and tad on the bright side. Great for acoustic music; jazz, classical & folk not so great for newer popular genre music. There is literally no beneficial difference between those two QC BT chips in their capabilities. Peak they can achieve (source QC):
  • THD+N@1kHz: -67dB
  • SNR@1kHz: 93dB
Using APTx of course. Given that in consideration the TWS1 wins by far as it will have a bit better sound stage & separation (8 mm & 32 Ohm's) by one third of the price. TWS5 does have better build quality and BT antenna but nothing mind blowing.

Hopefully in the future they will make something with 9/10 mm RP drivers, better QC chip with APTx HD support & costume LDAC support for under 100$. Those would be the first BT HiFi earphones that I wouldn't mind putting my signature on in the mean time enjoy the plain & simple good budget TWS1.
Best regards.

PS': on 11.11 there will be a shopping promo regarding Edifier stuff so you can save couple buck's more.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #14,312 of 62,386
They use to kill my ears after awhile, but not so much that I stopped using them. The AirPods were the only true wireless that I wore so much I wore the battery out. I find myself constantly rotating the others in and out trying to find the one the works best. They all sound fantastic, but the technology just isn’t there like the AirPods.
I liked everything about the AirPods other than they don’t isolate and were slightly loose for me. These look to fix that plus they cancel noise but I note they are only 4 mics so they won’t cancel that well. It will be interesting to compare the 6 mic Amazon Echo buds which are half the AirPod Pro’s price.

Oct 28, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #14,313 of 62,386
Those use Foster drivers that come with RP bio cone. It's a celuloze very thin fiber cone (thin paper alike) that dances like crazy. On TWS1 they used less premium cone (a tad ticker) so LPS is couple dB down. On TWS5 they used more premium "RP series" cone so it's 102~103 dB LPS. All together all Foster drivers are tuned (traditionally Onkyo Institute recipe) towards being mid centric and their is (rather linear) bass roll off at 50 Hz, highs don't look spectacular, are easy to drive and their don't messure great. In practice they are great, well balanced and tad on the bright side. Great for acoustic music; jazz, classical & folk not so great for newer popular genre music. There is literally no beneficial difference between those two QC BT chips in their capabilities. Peak they can achieve (source QC):
  • THD+N@1kHz: -67dB
  • SNR@1kHz: 93dB
Using APTx of course. Given that in consideration the TWS1 wins by far as it will have a bit better sound stage & separation (8 mm & 32 Ohm's) by one third of the price. TWS5 does have better build quality and BT antenna but nothing mind blowing.

Hopefully in the future they will make something with 9/10 mm RP drivers, better QC chip with APTx HD support & costume LDAC support for under 100$. Those would be the first BT HiFi earphones that I wouldn't mind putting my signature on in the mean time enjoy the plain & simple good budget TWS1.
Best regards.

PS': on 11.11 there will be a shopping promo regarding Edifier stuff so you can save couple buck's more.
The QCC 3020 and 3026 look to be the same chip in different packaging.

Oct 28, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #14,317 of 62,386
Why on earth the Apple cut the battery life to 4.5 hours per charge.

Oct 28, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #14,321 of 62,386
Only if it's really good AAC, not like MW07 plus one.

Oct 28, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #14,322 of 62,386
Hello..long time lurker here.

Been using the MTW for 3 months + now and I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Sony WF-1000XM3s..

So far with the MTW, the sound staging and clarity and sound signature has been very good. It tends to be very revealing and the bass is suppressed even with the EQ. Kinda reminds me how they designed the HD800. :) But the low-end is present but lighter than I'd prefer. It also has some issues with connectivity even when walking around town or going to work, plus short battery life with drain issue.

Considering to get the Sony XM3s now as a complement for bassy EDM (Charli XCX, Lorde, Korean pop) tracks and longer battery life; see that I'll use them interchangeably instead of throwing the MTW away.

My priorities are on pure SQ. I can live with the other shortcomings like battery life or connectivity. I just want to know I'm getting the best sound for the $$.

What do you think? Any owners of both can chime? I have seen owners of MTW move to XM3s and vice versa. Happy to know what you think.

how do the master & dynamic mw07 plus compare to the sennheiser momentum wireless sound wise. I had the sennheisers and honeslty they didn't blow me away, it had great bass and good sound but soundstage was closed in, and they were big and somewhat uncomfortable. I have some best buy gift cards I need to use. I was looking at the mw07 plus or the newer sony wf 1000mx but I don't like the bean shaped buds. it there anything else I should be looking at at best buy? I listen to mostly dance, edm, house and rap. I like bass that goes deep, no midbass hump, nicely tamed treble.

I own the MTW and have been thinking of getting the WF1000XM3, but between listening and reading reviews on the Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro and having a friend reach out to me in a message I think the L2P is the way to go. My friend has owned the Sony and Sennheiser and prefers the L2P over both. I also have listened to microphone tests for the Sony and L2P and the L2P seems better in that area too. Add on wireless charging, better battery life, and volume controls on top of sound quality and that's just to big a difference especially since it's only 2/3 the price of the Sony.

In my experience, having owned the MTW, sony XM3's, Liberty 2 Pro, Liberty 2, and Nuarl NT01AX - and evaluating for SQ (#1), portability, and call quality (matters a lot to me):

MTW sound was *good* but veiled in some way - and the bass was very present but masked. - the case wasn't very portable, and calls were horrible (I had them before the firmware update).

XM3 - I was very disappointed with the sound. Felt as though the sound was constrained in all dimensions, had a little bit of white noise floor (not much, but like what you hear with ANC even with ANC off) - but I was disappointed by the sound overall - bass, highs - I didn't like listening to the Sony's as much as I had anticipated, being a fan of Sony house sound. Way too expensive, case wasn't portable. Calls were not good.

Liberty 2 Pro - I couldn't stand the crossover from the BA to DD - treble was peaky with recessed mids and bombastic (but enjoyable) levels of bass. Loved the case, call quality.

Liberty 2 - Better than the Pro imo - for cheaper. Better mids and, honestly, highs than the Pro (for me) though they are a teensie bit sibilant to my treble sensitive ears. . Same great case as the Pro. NEEDS A MANUAL EQ

Nuarl - I've had these the longest, they are the simplest, but they are my favorite sound out of all of the above - out of the box, no EQ. Some others have said they have white noise, I have virtually none. The case is tiny. I have never had a single complaint with calls and they isolate better than the Liberty 2.

My suggestion is the Liberty 2 from Amazon to try them, and then plan on buying the successor to the NT01AX from Nuarl with me: https://www.atpress.ne.jp/news/195600

I have both the MTW & the WF-1000XM3 and had the L2P, but now I just have the L2. As far as the L2P, you can't go wrong, BUT the only issue is the 1st batch had some noise floor/hissing issues. So I would recommend waiting for the "new version", which Anker said should be released here in a few weeks. I went back and forth with them via email. They offered to give me a refund or exchange it for the new version once it came out. I decided to take the refund and get the L2. Sound is close to the L2P, but there's no Qi charging. Can't go wrong with the WF-1000XM3 either. I'm all for just buying all of them and using a different pair when the mood calls for it!

@hifi80sman I like the L2 better than Pro for SQ and cost. However, I still love my Nuarl.... have you owned them? Given our tonal preference similarities, I'd suspect a bad pair if you didn't enjoy these..

:D

Oct 28, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #14,323 of 62,386
By this thread seems like majority of people who really have MW07+ are quite content with its ANC, mentioning NYC subway, streets and office. Living in the city I can confirm that it's no small feat for small buds to drown the subway or Midtown rush. Are you expecting from TWS something like full size Bose or Sony heroics?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #14,325 of 62,386

AKA, NoAAC? :p
By this thread seems like majority of people who really have MW07+ are quite content with its ANC, mentioning NYC subway, streets and office. Living in the city I can confirm that it's no small feat for small buds to drown the subway or Midtown rush. Are you expecting from TWS something like full size Bose or Sony heroics?

I think they were referencing the lack of AAC codec support on the MW07+, not the ANC. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back