Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 4, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #12,886 of 62,515
aptX-LL does work well with movies, video, etc. However, as far as I know, phone calls are part of the HSP (Handset Profile), HFP (Hands Free Profile), while aptX is a codec within AD2P (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile).

There may be others, but one of the few TWS with aptX-LL is the MTW.
Does the MTW100 really have aptX LL? Shanling themselves only claim support for AAC and SBC.

Oct 4, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #12,889 of 62,515
I've been meaning to ask the same question. I'm super curious if they sound even better...or just the same.

Seems someone with these SSK will have to get the Kanoe for us to know! Haha. I got these and was about to order a second when I saw only 1 was left. Give them to one of the kids or something...but then didn't. Guess they must have decided to give up on the Amazon thing and offered the deal to clear them out??

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R8TPND5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oct 4, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #12,890 of 62,515
Oct 4, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #12,891 of 62,515
aptX-LL does work well with movies, video, etc. However, as far as I know, phone calls are part of the HSP (Handset Profile), HFP (Hands Free Profile), while aptX is a codec within AD2P (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile).

There may be others, but one of the few TWS with aptX-LL is the MTW.

Interesting. So then what improves call quality latency? Better implementations of these phone call codecs and/or an upgraded version of said codecs similarly to the way aptX-LL is for aptX?

Oct 4, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #12,892 of 62,515
Interesting. So then what improves call quality latency? Better implementations of these phone call codecs and/or an upgraded version of said codecs similarly to the way aptX-LL is for aptX?
HFP is superior to HSP, so if you're looking for call quality, make sure it at least supports HFP 1.6 (mSBC 16kHz "HD Voice"), then it's up to the mic quality themselves (Audio-Technica uses some really poor mics with bad range, sensitivity, etc.), your actual connection, etc. This presentation reports only a 20ms-30ms latency for HFP 1.6.

For what it's worth, the Plantronics BackBeat Pro 5100 has excellent call quality for a TWS, which has HFP 1.7.

https://www.plantronics.com/be/en/product/backbeat-pro-5100
upload_2019-10-4_14-19-50.png

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #12,893 of 62,515
OK, @howdy, I gotta give you some love here. The WF-1000XM3 are fantastic. They sound unquestionably better than the previous generation and the ANC is excellent. I have the Bose QC 30 as well and I'd say they're right on-par with those. The WF-1000XM3 may even do a bit better than the QC 30 in the lower registers, but the QC 30 seems to be a little better with ambient noises in the upper mid, low treble regions.

As far as sound, there are no flaws I can really point out (for my taste). I like the Sony house sound and these do no disappoint. Bass is nicely textured, especially with some of the 80s synth stuff, which was a surprise given the drivers are only 6mm. The app does a great job if you need to push the EQ to your taste. They are sooo 100% a keeper that I decided to also get this case for them.

My wife may kill me.

Just wait a week or so, youll be even more impressed as you figure out how like to sit in your ear. Are you using the Spinfits with it?
As for the Wife, my motto is " better to ask for forgiveness than permission" and ive been married over 20 years( to the same wife).
I also have a rule that I stand by myself and that is if I buy something I get rid of something else. Ive been contemplating selling my beloved CIEMs as I never use them anymore since my BT love.

Oct 4, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #12,894 of 62,515
HFP is superior to HSP, so if you're looking for call quality, make sure it at least supports HFP 1.6 (mSBC 16kHz "HD Voice"), then it's up to the mic quality themselves (Audio-Technica uses some really poor mics with bad range, sensitivity, etc.), your actual connection, etc. This presentation reports only a 20ms-30ms latency for HFP 1.6.

For what it's worth, the Plantronics BackBeat Pro 5100 has excellent call quality for a TWS, which has HFP 1.7.

https://www.plantronics.com/be/en/product/backbeat-pro-5100

Thanks. Wonder why this is so rare. I'm hoping future TWS models start implementing HFP 1.6+.

Not really a fan of Plantronics SQ, but are those any good?

Also, looks like these have HFP as well. Not sure if it's 1.6+.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RP6NF5J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_b07LDb7SDYH1G

Oct 4, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #12,895 of 62,515
Just wait a week or so, youll be even more impressed as you figure out how like to sit in your ear. Are you using the Spinfits with it?
As for the Wife, my motto is " better to ask for forgiveness than permission" and ive been married over 20 years( to the same wife).
I also have a rule that I stand by myself and that is if I buy something I get rid of something else. Ive been contemplating selling my beloved CIEMs as I never use them anymore since my BT love.

Which SpinFits are you using with the WF-1000MX3 ? The CP100 don't work at all for me (make them stick out even more) and the CP360 don't give me a seal. The only silicone tips I've gotten to work so far (thanks to nc8000 for the tip) are the Final E tips, L in the left and LL in the right ear :wink:

Oct 4, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #12,896 of 62,515
Would you describe the MTW100 as more of an "audiophile" tuning?

I'm partial to DD, but the glossy white is a bit of a turn off. I'd think it would be the other way around; DD in Black and the BA in White (for all you BA softies :p).

The BA version is definitely more audiophile tuned (assuming you mean neutral tuning). I believe even Shanling mentioned that.
Also, they're focusing on the BA version, which is why DD is only on white and doesn't have Qi charging.

Oct 4, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #12,897 of 62,515
OK, @howdy, I gotta give you some love here. The WF-1000XM3 are fantastic. They sound unquestionably better than the previous generation and the ANC is excellent. I have the Bose QC 30 as well and I'd say they're right on-par with those. The WF-1000XM3 may even do a bit better than the QC 30 in the lower registers, but the QC 30 seems to be a little better with ambient noises in the upper mid, low treble regions (...)

I'm a bit surprised by your comparison because like the QC-20 the QC-30 do not seal the ear canal so have little passive isolation to speak of unlike the WF-1000MX3, provided you get a seal, which is not easy due to their shape and the complaints most seem to have with the provided tips, be it the silicone or "triple comfort" tips. With Complys or the Final E I get a good seal (plugged ear effect) and the passive+ANC isolation is miles better than what the QC20 can achieve due to their design. Yes the Bose ANC works great for low droning noises, like in an airplane, but can't do much at all with voices.

Oct 4, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #12,898 of 62,515
Wanted to leave impressions of the SSK TWS BT03. For $22 I paid I have to assume they are an amazing deal for audio quality. Finally have some TWS that clearly outgun some cheap wired headphone I had paid like $10 for after lots of tries then also. Those were some ChiFi sorta also. But from this weird LeTV that tried to enter the west with hardware after getting big in China more as a Netflix type service. Suspect they were sold here for $10, but seem they are a higher grade that an about anything you have been able to get since for that sorta price. Anyhow, only went into all that cause my main goal has been to beat out those wired ones as my daily carry headphones since it's looking like devices with I can charge and listen too going forward will get harder and harder to find.

Now the actual impressions. I can't call them flat/neutral at all, even though I tend to prefer that. They are maybe more U shaped. The bass is a little more pronounced that I would prefer mostly. Not at all boomy or somehow undefined in a way that makes it egregious and muffling like most cheaper products with more focus on bass than I prefer. The high frequencies are a little more flat and proper I would say. The biggest difference though vs the other 2 ~$50ish TWS I had tried before starting to follow this thread is they can properly reproduce the track and don't seem to have some dollar store generic buds drivers seemingly. One was the MEGIVEZ I had seen mentioned here as tunnelled. It was the worse of the two, but did have volume control with touch and with EQ could sorta clean the sound a bit by cutting bass. Still was pretty muffled compared to my cheap wired. The other are the MEBUYZ. These sounded OK really, but no volume and not special or as good as my wired ones. The case with bud charge level and case charge level really well defined is a nice feature more should have though. I had given these to my wife and haven't had chance for back to back audition. Seemed maybe close to these, but were solid $50 and for sure not as loud or clean sounding at reasonable volumes. Probably more balanced flat tuning than these SSK though. The SSK easily have the best sound stage and definition of all the instruments and voices of any I have tried by a good margin, which is a lot of what I am after since with EQ apps you can usually flatten the tuning to what you want. And these SSK are flat enough I don't feel need to do flatten them always necessarily. Kinda depends on the song it seems. It's really only certain content where mild bass boost starts to annoy me.

I will also say they may not have the sound stage and more completely clean sound of my open HD595, but they are WAY closer than I expected and those can be a bit off flat by having too little bass and cause you to miss bass oriented nuances in stuff that isn't bass focused and not necessarily sound right if you boost it, then sound a bit boring with bass focused music. So while maybe not as open and such as those in the sound stage, can be more enjoyable with some content than even those open back while not annoying folks around you just because they can more properly reproduce the full range with this sealed setup. Always figured this was possible with sealed in ears and has me curious about BA since that requires less power and still probably works well in such a sealed regime if done right.

The connection to phone is a bit odd since these are I guess a realtek setup vs the 2 qualcomm ones I had tried. Seems one or other is master and second connects through the first. Actually seems the left is master as the right will drop and connect as the left keeps playing, but this is rare. Anyhow sometimes have to drop right into case and take out for it to connect up correctly if I take them out of case out of order. No biggies just oddities that didn't matter with the qualcomm setup. The qualcomm setup would do funny handshaking though sometimes and get itself somewhat confused for a bit before you could start listening. So a wash really. So far no particular connection issues that I can really say are bad. The volume with double click is handy, but could use an audible confirmation. Battery life seems per the claims of 3 hours, but haven't done a true full to dead session yet. Haven't used them all day at work yet, but could see that as a weakness vs some of the latest options that have really good battery life supposedly. To me 3 hours is totally legit for $22 with the rest though. Seems you can still get these on AliExpress for $30 and I totally recommend them even at that price so far. Will report back on call use and such as that was an even bigger issue with the MEGIVEZ and biggest reason I kept looking.

Anyhow sorta plan to try the Shanling MTW100 as get the impression that is exactly what I am after other than the missing volume control.

Oct 4, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #12,899 of 62,515
Seems someone with these SSK will have to get the Kanoe for us to know! Haha. I got these and was about to order a second when I saw only 1 was left. Give them to one of the kids or something...but then didn't. Guess they must have decided to give up on the Amazon thing and offered the deal to clear them out??

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R8TPND5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sorry, dudes. I ordered the last one it seems, but it's going to a good home. I'll most likely get the kanoe next week after I sort out my TEVI situation. I listened to them via AptX today and thought they sounded better, but still didn't do it for me. I had them at 82% volume and they just started hurting my ears. I did notice the stock tips sounded better on them then my spiral dots and spinfits. boosted the mid and sub bass a touch and tamed the highs, but i'd take a pair of SSK's, T5's or 359's over them all day for the $$.

Oct 4, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #12,900 of 62,515
Wanted to leave impressions of the SSK TWS BT03. For $22 I paid I have to assume they are an amazing deal for audio quality. Finally have some TWS that clearly outgun some cheap wired headphone I had paid like $10 for after lots of tries then also. Those were some ChiFi sorta also. But from this weird LeTV that tried to enter the west with hardware after getting big in China more as a Netflix type service. Suspect they were sold here for $10, but seem they are a higher grade that an about anything you have been able to get since for that sorta price. Anyhow, only went into all that cause my main goal has been to beat out those wired ones as my daily carry headphones since it's looking like devices with I can charge and listen too going forward will get harder and harder to find.

Now the actual impressions. I can't call them flat/neutral at all, even though I tend to prefer that. They are maybe more U shaped. The bass is a little more pronounced that I would prefer mostly. Not at all boomy or somehow undefined in a way that makes it egregious and muffling like most cheaper products with more focus on bass than I prefer. The high frequencies are a little more flat and proper I would say. The biggest difference though vs the other 2 ~$50ish TWS I had tried before starting to follow this thread is they can properly reproduce the track and don't seem to have some dollar store generic buds drivers seemingly. One was the MEGIVEZ I had seen mentioned here as tunnelled. It was the worse of the two, but did have volume control with touch and with EQ could sorta clean the sound a bit by cutting bass. Still was pretty muffled compared to my cheap wired. The other are the MEBUYZ. These sounded OK really, but no volume and not special or as good as my wired ones. The case with bud charge level and case charge level really well defined is a nice feature more should have though. I had given these to my wife and haven't had chance for back to back audition. Seemed maybe close to these, but were solid $50 and for sure not as loud or clean sounding at reasonable volumes. Probably more balanced flat tuning than these SSK though. The SSK easily have the best sound stage and definition of all the instruments and voices of any I have tried by a good margin, which is a lot of what I am after since with EQ apps you can usually flatten the tuning to what you want. And these SSK are flat enough I don't feel need to do flatten them always necessarily. Kinda depends on the song it seems. It's really only certain content where mild bass boost starts to annoy me.

I will also say they may not have the sound stage and more completely clean sound of my open HD595, but they are WAY closer than I expected and those can be a bit off flat by having too little bass and cause you to miss bass oriented nuances in stuff that isn't bass focused and not necessarily sound right if you boost it, then sound a bit boring with bass focused music. So while maybe not as open and such as those in the sound stage, can be more enjoyable with some content than even those open back while not annoying folks around you just because they can more properly reproduce the full range with this sealed setup. Always figured this was possible with sealed in ears and has me curious about BA since that requires less power and still probably works well in such a sealed regime if done right.

The connection to phone is a bit odd since these are I guess a realtek setup vs the 2 qualcomm ones I had tried. Seems one or other is master and second connects through the first. Actually seems the left is master as the right will drop and connect as the left keeps playing, but this is rare. Anyhow sometimes have to drop right into case and take out for it to connect up correctly if I take them out of case out of order. No biggies just oddities that didn't matter with the qualcomm setup. The qualcomm setup would do funny handshaking though sometimes and get itself somewhat confused for a bit before you could start listening. So a wash really. So far no particular connection issues that I can really say are bad. The volume with double click is handy, but could use an audible confirmation. Battery life seems per the claims of 3 hours, but haven't done a true full to dead session yet. Haven't used them all day at work yet, but could see that as a weakness vs some of the latest options that have really good battery life supposedly. To me 3 hours is totally legit for $22 with the rest though. Seems you can still get these on AliExpress for $30 and I totally recommend them even at that price so far. Will report back on call use and such as that was an even bigger issue with the MEGIVEZ and biggest reason I kept looking.

Anyhow sorta plan to try the Shanling MTW100 as get the impression that is exactly what I am after other than the missing volume control.
If I man, I'd recommend giving the SSK's about 3 days maybe even 20 hours of audio and then revisit your review. If they are like my anbes' they will open up. The bass gets lower, the sound stage seems to widen and the highs have better definition. They don't get brighter, the layering is just better IMO. I have 2 pair. One that has over 80 hours on them and one that has about 4 and the sound slightly diff. The latter pair sound exactly like the SSK's I got yesterday. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back