Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 19, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #58,831 of 62,476
I’ve compared the AKG N5005’s to Sony, Bose, Sennheiser, B&W and Jabra TWS.
It’s no contest really, the timbre of woodwinds, piano, brass….etc, is just quite a bit more convincing. TWS is good for what it is and the limitations of the tech.
Right but using them with the included wireless cable, I'm not sure they are any more convincing. So then it becomes apples to oranges anyway. I bought them specifically because they have a wireless cable.

Dec 19, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #58,833 of 62,476
Which AKGs are you trying @clerkpalmer ?

It sad that such a big name in the Audio industry has become so nerfed under Samsung.

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #58,835 of 62,476
I see the N9 is headphones but the other pair is maybe a neckband style. Looking at the label it says150mah x 2 batteries. The N400 had 55mah batteries and I have seen some 85mah in big earphones but 150mah batteries seems too big for TWS? Unless they are an open ear TWS which would be big and have a big case and earhook housings so that might be it. No pics yet to show us. The term "bluetooth headset" can be a few things. :)

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #58,836 of 62,476
I still think complaining about batteries on TWS is silly. If we actually required TWS to have replaceable batters (user or otherwise), we are going to have some really big compromises to make in terms of size, design, fit and probably numerous other things. Politicians mandating this would be a disaster for consumers. Let the market speak. TWS are not essential items like cell phones anyway. No one is forcing anyone to buy them. We buy the for the convenience, the tech, the fun etc. I don't want anyone telling manufacturers how to make TWS. If someone doesn't want to buy the Prestige because $600 is too much to spend on something with a battery, so be it. I have no issue with that. I would have an issue with Noble coming on here and telling us that they wanted to make a $1,000 set of high end TWS but the EU regulators required that they have user replaceable batteries so they abandoned the project because it wasn't feasible.
There is a big difference between making batteries anybody could replace by just popping open a device like we used to with cell phones, vs one that you could send in to a repair center and they'd replace it for you in regards to size. To make it an easy pop open solution would make them too big, so the other way is the solution.

I don't think anyone is going to require TWS having replaceable batteries but it would be much better for consumers and is actually something they want when presented a choice. You are projecting us crazy obsessive hobbyists that are like, oh I'm happy to drop 300 bucks every couple months on new TWS, with the general consumer. There are way more of them than us. And even with the stuff I have in my sig, no way I can justify spending 600 on the prestige if I can't send them in to get new batteries.

I hear you. But in this case we have a thread that is thousands of pages long and a very small amount of posts that are related to battery replacement. They do exist and occasionally come up like right now. But never to the point I would mistake them to be the majority within this thread.

Having said that I think when you have people with STRONG beliefs expressing their opinion there is a tendency to present their argument as the only real option. I tend to be a moderate at most things, so tend to look for compromise. But I have friends on both sides of what ever I am moderate about who would vehemently disagree my compromise :xf_cool: .

Yes and I think we agree this thread is not representative of the general populace who are not infatuated with a hobby and some of us are willing to spend stupid amount of money on what can borderline an obsession. And battery wear has come up on here multiple times, even in a thread with crazy audiophiles. And now that I am older and wiser, I have been able to be more self-reflective and realize part of this hobby can be an addiction vs actually being productive or ever really being truly satisfied for anything for long. That is not always a good thing.

Dec 19, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #58,837 of 62,476
@PixelSquish We are definitely on the same wave length... I am sitting contemplating selling a pair of Soundcore Liberty 4 at a loss just so I can buy the Mackie TWS20, why... just so I can scratch an itch of trying something new and to see if this low cost (52% off sale) TWS is a diamond in the rough...

Dec 19, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #58,838 of 62,476
A blast from my past. Thought these weren't working but gave them a try for fun and hot damn they worked!

They ain't a TWS but they are sublime :wink: .
20231219_172641.jpg

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #58,840 of 62,476
Beggars cannot be choosers and many "Sheepies" love Apple devices.

You can get all day battery life from those via adapters from Aliexpress and some of these:

71FLxT0-UxL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Don’t know about “sheepies”, but what I can say, is I’ve been using the third gen AirPods. In a quiet environment not many surpasses its sound. It’s all there, sheen on cymbals, piano overtones, full bass…etc.. Once you get into a noisy room, then yeah, it falls apart. They are a bargain at $169, and a steal at $119 I paid.

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #58,842 of 62,476
Yea ripping peeps of for decades while making overpriced average products in the Foxcomm sweatshops. 😉

And they would not even exist if not for a life saving loan from Bill Gates.

Being the most popular (for the wrong reason in this case) does not mean they are the best and Nvidia are not in the same market

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #58,843 of 62,476
I remember when Apple was the underdog, Microsoft stealing Apples Ui (which Apple took from PARC)…..yada yada…. Success speaks for itself. What Apple has achieved is simply remarkable.
Your bashing them is just a waste of time and energy.. From a garage in Sunnyvale to the worlds most valuable company, that’s something Hollywood couldn’t have made up…. 👍

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #58,844 of 62,476
I remember when Apple was the underdog, Microsoft stealing Apples Ui (which Apple took from PARC)…..yada yada…. Success speaks for itself. What Apple has achieved is simply remarkable.
Your bashing them is just a waste of time and energy.. From a garage in Sunnyvale to the worlds most valuable company, that’s something Hollywood couldn’t have made up…. 👍
we get it, you love Apple. Now back on topic please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back