Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 10, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #56,296 of 63,227
What eartips does everybody use for their Hifiman Svanar Wireless? Because honestly I've tried so much to like them, and I honestly find them so incredibly mediocre still. I don't FEEL like they're fitting any different than they should, they sit PERFECTLY in my ears and are comfortable as all heck, but based on the praises most of you are giving them I need to assume that there's something just... wrong with my experience.

Even on High-Fidelity Mode I just think they sound completely unnatural, almost "digital" and a far cry from sounding like/close to a "regular IEM" that I see people saying.
I find the upper mids sounding slightly digital and also... I mean the sound stage is really large and positioning is good too, but it does that and still sounds like there's a haze/veil over the the aforementioned part of the frequency range, and it makes the buds sound like a cheap chi-fi SoundPeats model. I don't know if it's due to Hifimans internal R2R DAC-thingie, because I feel the same about my Hifiman Deva Pro's to an extent.

It feels like they're originally TUNED well, because I have no issues with how the bass, mids and treble are in comparison to each other, but I still think they sound hazy and strange in the mids and some of the treble area. Vocals sound weird as hell, and despite knowing I'm on LDAC I swear they sound like they have this SBC compressed-sound that makes my music sounds like its 96 KBPS mp3 files.
They also take really weirdly to EQ, where they SOMETIMES work with Wavelet, sometimes... not, and when they work the EQ doesn't seem to really react like I would expect... at all.
Really wish they had their own app for EQ.

I genuinely think the Mystiques, ZE8000's, NTP/DPP, Status Between 3ANCs and even the Sony XM5's, Huawei Freebuds Pro2s and MTW3s of the world sound better, at least EQ'd.
And even if audio is subjective, I feel like I'm just wrong this time. It doesn't feel like it's just my taste that makes me feel this way about them.

That's why I'm wondering what your secrets are and if somebody has any specific eartips that made them fantastic, I'm just baffled here since so many people are saying they are the best sounding TWS's here.
I guess I could have a lemon here, but it's weird that they would be since everything else works perfectly fine and they don't sound bad enough for me to assume that either.
Think it might LDAC giving you a higher pitch treble effect. Have had some TWS with LDAC on, made the treble a bit harsh. It doesn't bother me. I use the Coreir Brass and notice everything enhanced more than my other eartips but might not recommend to you if your experiencing unnatural sound.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #56,297 of 63,227
Think it might LDAC giving you a higher pitch treble effect. Have had some TWS with LDAC on, made the treble a bit harsh. It doesn't bother me. I use the Coreir Brass and notice everything enhanced more than my other eartips but might not recommend to you if your experiencing unnatural sound.
It could absolutely be part of it. I think LDAC can be very hit or miss depending on the implementation and what the earbud generally sounds like.
But nobody else seems to take issue with it... so I'm wondering why my experience differs from everybody else, kinda.

Only heard of those eartips the last couple of pages here, will look at them though. Even if they're not good for the Svanar for me they might work well with other earbuds, so thanks for the (ear)tip!

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #56,298 of 63,227
My Aful Performer 8’s need less than 30% volume on an Apple dongle, and less than 20% on my MacBook. With my ER4SR it’s around 40%, and 30%. More power being available isn’t going to add anything. I also don’t believe hi-res makes any perceivable difference.

I don’t want to stay off the topic of TWS here though.

As for the AirPods Pro 2’s, I have them and much prefer my MTW3’s. No comparison at all in terms of SQ.
Many people confuse volume for driving authority. After all of the years of testing top dollar gear nothing has changed. The driving authority of a device is what gives you a more dynamic listen. The same applies to streaming. I know if the volume is louder on a selection you are listening to it gives the illusion of the higher bit rate.

I have a Mass Kobo 475 portable amp(which IMO rivals many lower end desktop setups) and while my A&K SP3000 can drive anything I have in my collection it is accomplished through the raising volume. With the MK 475 is has punch and authority to drive.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #56,299 of 63,227
That’s exactly the opposite of what Crinacle argues. “Quality of power” is one of the exact things he argues against.
Crinacle is only an expert of his own opinion, the same as all of us! The same thing I have been saying about myself in my own reviews for years.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #56,300 of 63,227
What eartips does everybody use for their Hifiman Svanar Wireless? Because honestly I've tried so much to like them, and I honestly find them so incredibly mediocre still. I don't FEEL like they're fitting any different than they should, they sit PERFECTLY in my ears and are comfortable as all heck, but based on the praises most of you are giving them I need to assume that there's something just... wrong with my experience.

Even on High-Fidelity Mode I just think they sound completely unnatural, almost "digital" and a far cry from sounding like/close to a "regular IEM" that I see people saying.
I find the upper mids sounding slightly digital and also... I mean the sound stage is really large and positioning is good too, but it does that and still sounds like there's a haze/veil over the the aforementioned part of the frequency range, and it makes the buds sound like a cheap chi-fi SoundPeats model. I don't know if it's due to Hifimans internal R2R DAC-thingie, because I feel the same about my Hifiman Deva Pro's to an extent.

It feels like they're originally TUNED well, because I have no issues with how the bass, mids and treble are in comparison to each other, but I still think they sound hazy and strange in the mids and some of the treble area. Vocals sound weird as hell, and despite knowing I'm on LDAC I swear they sound like they have this SBC compressed-sound that makes my music sounds like its 96 KBPS mp3 files.
They also take really weirdly to EQ, where they SOMETIMES work with Wavelet, sometimes... not, and when they work the EQ doesn't seem to really react like I would expect... at all.

I genuinely think the Mystiques, ZE8000's, NTP/DPP, Status Between 3ANCs and even the Sony XM5's, Huawei Freebuds Pro2s and MTW3s of the world sound better, at least EQ'd.
And even if audio is subjective, I feel like I'm just wrong this time. It doesn't feel like it's just my taste that makes me feel this way about them.

That's why I'm wondering what your secrets are and if somebody has any specific eartips that made them fantastic, I'm just baffled here since so many people are saying they are the best sounding TWS's here.
I guess I could have a lemon here, but it's weird that they would be since everything else works perfectly fine and they don't sound bad enough for me to assume that either.
Honestly, I think the Svanar just aren't checking your boxes, nothing wrong with that. I am pleased to see you mention the 3ANC because I think it flies under the radar and I really like their tribrid design and sound. Not real excited about the Borg look, but hey. All of this hobby is subjective. What may be someone's trash is another man's treasure. Ear tips won't make you change your mind.

Sep 10, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #56,301 of 63,227
Actually, I switched eartips from the Spinfits CP360 to the AZLA Xelastec on the Svanar... and I get it now.

Okay so there are some types of music that I might not love on these, but damn they are detailed and that soundstage is really impressive for TWS, and it conveys the emotion in the music really well for some reason, can't really say what it is but I think they're really musical.
Not sure if I can get them to sound 100% like I want, but yeah. They're very eartips-dependent when it comes to their sound, and they do need EQ imo. The Spinfits fit really well, but still made them sound grainy deluxe.

I will say I prefer more mellow and expressive music on these, some heavier guitar-based music and some electronic music doesn't lend itself to its sound, at least with these eartips.
But yeah, they are legit. Can't say if they're the best I've heard but they are good.

Sep 10, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #56,303 of 63,227
I see everyone mentioning Svanar, DPP and AZ80 as their reference but see little to no mention of ZE8000 during discussions while the reviews are great. Are they a tier below the others?
I don't think they are a tier below at all. They are probably the most neutral of the choices and can seem a bit laid back and unexciting. If you are looking for pure audiophile experience, they are probably the best option although I prefer the svanar as they do have a bit more bass ooph in comparison while staying fairly neutral. The DPP is on the other end of the specturm. The AZ80 probably doesn't belong in the discussion with those 3 but I think the best of the consumer branded options. I'm gonna find myself another set sooner or later.

Sep 10, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #56,304 of 63,227
and it makes the buds sound like a cheap chi-fi SoundPeats model.
Sounds like something wrong TBH. This phrase should never be uttered in regards to the Svanar. I saw your post below where the tips changed things. I've been running the stock tips and have no issues with them. Very comfy. Maybe they just aren't your jam but your description leads me to believe there's something wrong with your set.

Sep 10, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #56,305 of 63,227
Just bought some HE1000 Stealth this week
Running these Edition XS with a cheap $200 Schiit and JDS Dac and Amp setup. The edition xs cost me $300 used. Don't worry mods, I'm gonna tie this back to TWS, I promise. It's pretty crazy to think that $500 can get you this level of sound on a desktop setup. I tend to prefer cans to IEMS if I'm sitting still. Wow, soundstage and imaging are next level and these are probably barely midfi these days. The bass hits hard and fast (these seem to have better bass than most HFM I've tried) and they are so open it's glorious. All of that said, I'm not sure the Svanar are THAT far behind in terms of my overall preferences and I'd be just as happy listening to them at my desk. The experience would be different for sure but no less enjoyable. And I don't need to connect 5 things to get them going (DAC, AMP, UAPP, Toneboosters etc.).

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #56,306 of 63,227

Yeah, at this price, more will be expected.
This is the same with all over $300 TWS, as < $300 can buy a superb device, with great sound, excellent NC and usable software.. 👍

Sep 10, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #56,307 of 63,227
Splitting the album Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull between the DPP and the Svanar Wireless.

Quite the polar opposites and yet they both make the album sound amazing.

The Svanar shines a light in every detail of the music and is bright and clean with a big sound stage.

The DPP on the other hand make it thicker and more immersive bringing you a bit more into the center of the music.

Anyone who struggles with to much higher mids and treble would prefer the DPP, anyone who wants to hear all the detail would prefer the Svanar.

If had to make a call right now I prefer the DPP but can honestly say tomorrow that could flip...

Sep 10, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #56,308 of 63,227
Splitting the album Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull between the DPP and the Svanar Wireless.

Quite the polar opposites and yet they both make the album sound amazing.

The Svanar shines a light in every detail of the music and is bright and clean with a big sound stage.

The DPP on the other hand make it thicker and more immersive bringing you a bit more into the center of the music.

Anyone who struggles with to much higher mids and treble would prefer the DPP, anyone who wants to hear all the detail would prefer the Svanar.

If had to make a call right now I prefer the DPP but can honestly say tomorrow that could flip...
The DPP out edges the Svanar in detail retrieval with Aptx Lossless

Sep 10, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #56,309 of 63,227
This is interesting, because @erockg I don’t remember him saying he had any connection issues with his QC 2’s, but did with Sony. You have the opposite problem. Sounds like the Bluetooth certification process needs work, or some standards need revisiting. I worked in this area 25 years back at IBM, with SSA and Low voltage SCSI acceptance.
Correct. I had zero issues with my QCIIs. Temped to try the Sony again, but knowing me, they'll grow wings.

Sep 10, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #56,310 of 63,227

Users who are viewing this thread

Back