Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 4, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #50,791 of 62,471
Just speculation but perhaps Noble doesn’t think codecs are the issue. In fact. I think they said exactly that. My guess is components, drivers and tuning offer better improvements than codecs. Damn wish I could head over to Best Buy for some mystiques today.
If you go to the noble thread, a few pages back a user dropped their KK splitting it open (whelp) giving you a look at the internals. Considering they are bigger than most tws already without chips batteries etc, you see how much wiring is going on.

Something is holding tws back but it ain't codecs.

Jim *Edit not Jim, Jim is a lawyer, I meant the Wiz* says it's not driver quality (my previous theory) so that leaves space, materials quality and the secret sauce.

What I don't understand is if powering drivers and driver quality ain't the issue. How can a tws with the same drivers + chips, batteries and all the other doohickies not come out at a way higher price?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #50,792 of 62,471
If you go to the noble thread, a few pages back a user dropped their KK splitting it open (whelp) giving you a look at the internals. Considering they are bigger than most tws already without chips batteries etc, you see how much wiring is going on.

Jim says it's not driver quality (my previous theory) so that leaves space, materials quality and the secret sauce.

What I don't understand is if powering drivers and driver quality ain't the issue. How can a tws with the same drivers + chips, batteries and all the other doohickies not come out at a way higher price?
He answered this as well. He mentioned low profit margins.

Feb 4, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #50,794 of 62,471
No @ shows
No location recommendations

Screenshot_20230205_053844_Chrome.jpg

Make sure you visit an audiologist & not a hearing aid dealer. (There is a difference)

I'd present them with a picture of a Ciem in use on stage etc

Explain that the process is essentially the same as a full shell ITE (in the ear hearing aid)
Or a silicone swim plug or a silicone HPD

Insist on a Bite Block to be used during an open mouth ear mold impression.

Insist on a A/B silicone type impression material. = less shrinkage over time. Most material used today is silicone, the material you want to avoid is liquid / powder mic = absolute worst.

Also, I recommend you take photos of the impression and submit them to Noble for their approval before shipping them. This can save you shipping feed & time.

Ciems can be great experience or an awful one. Which is why their is a re-fit policy for every ciem company.

Good luck

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Feb 4, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #50,795 of 62,471

Jim says it's not driver quality (my previous theory) so that leaves space, materials quality and the secret sauce.

Jim didn't say anything
Jim rarely posts on head fi.

John AKA "The Wizard / AKA Dr. John / AKA Audiologist / AKA the founder of Noble

Posts on head-fi

Jim is a lawyer & my brother. He joined Noble in 2018. He wears a lot of hats, but he has really settled into running the CNC machines & developing cool looking housing materials for our prestige IEMs.

Fortunately, we rarely need his lawyer skill sets. But they do come in handy when dealing with TWS registration requirements etc.

To explain more about space in a tws - the batteries takes up a lot of space. The parts are jammed in there. This is why you will not see a k10 tws as the k10 was already stuffed to the Brim with drivers.

That said The tuning ability DSP offers is worlds apart compared to dealing with passive resistors / capacitors / tube lengths and dampers.

DSP well, it almost feels like I'm cheating

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Feb 4, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #50,799 of 62,471
@clerkpalmer

I also said our "secret sauce is......"

If I explained what the secret sauce is, then it isn't a secret any longer. But mostly it is a business gamble. We use quality parts = better sq = higher production costs = higher retail costs = but willing to accept lower margins in order to increase sales and move inventory

we are a small company, chipping at the edges, Willing to do things that the big companies are not & being grateful for the market share we have. This formula has kept us alive for a decade.
You mentioned smaller profit margins with TWS, and maybe I'm the only on who would pay $500-1k for REALLY good TWS, but after having heard some great IEMS (many of which run 1k+, do you think it's possible to make really good sounding TWS buds with a higher price? Maybe there's just not a market for it, but a wireless Khan or Ragnar would be pretty sick.

Feb 4, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #50,800 of 62,471
You mentioned smaller profit margins with TWS, and maybe I'm the only on who would pay $500-1k for REALLY good TWS, but after having heard some great IEMS (many of which run 1k+, do you think it's possible to make really good sounding TWS buds with a higher price? Maybe there's just not a market for it, but a wireless Khan or Ragnar would be pretty sick.
I think John would tell you we already have awesome sounding tws.

Feb 4, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #50,802 of 62,471
You're crazy. The chase never ends huh?

What are you chasing that the Kublais don't give you? Or is it just the custom impressions? I actually wouldn't mind one either, now that I've tried the universal fit.

However I've read as many comparisons as there are of the Kublais vs the Sultan or Ragnar, I get the impression the KK offers better sq for what I use them for. With the others being better in some areas but not the ones I prefer.
You’re right my friend. I’ve just anyways been fascinated by the idea of custom IEMs. It’s always a struggle to find comfort and the right tips, etc

Feb 4, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #50,803 of 62,471
Damn. Took my left earbud to answer question #28 from my little adhd’r and the FoKus mystiques lost their sync to each other again. Left ear again is quiet when both buds are in the case the left earbud blinks. Tried the reset procedure again. This time it’s not working. I assume at this point this is not normal behavior to lose sync by just taking out one bud and then placing it back in the ear? Enjoying the sound but not enjoying the syncing problems.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #50,804 of 62,471
You’re right my friend. I’ve just anyways been fascinated by the idea of custom IEMs. It’s always a struggle to find comfort and the right tips, etc
Yea the KK can get uncomfortable if I adjust it over a few hours. So i try to limit listening to 2-3 hours with no readjustments, this actually works pretty well cause I listen to them pretty loud and it might be the thing saving my hearing.

The one I was looking at getting custom for was the Supermoon Planar Campfire iem. Different sound presentation I thought would be fun. The ends of the custom fits always confused me, but I suppose it's designed so you don't need tips at all.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #50,805 of 62,471
M'bad, John is certainly who I meant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back