Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 20, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #48,871 of 62,615
The Shure TW2 adapters are fantastic for calls, transparency mode if your IEMs don't require a ton of power. The FIIOs are great for listening and have plenty of power. My personal preference (I have both) are the TW2s for the features and comfort. I also get a bit frustrated with FIIO's software in general, it can be a bit flaky at times.
100% agree here. I picked my TW2s up after a hiatus and they're just plain awesome. FiiO UT5s are great, but not as refined.

Nov 20, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #48,873 of 62,615
Lovely small case!

Did you try the different preset? And I'm guessing you haven't got the app on your phone? I'm thinking there will be a day 1 update? :p
Forgot to mention presets. No app for me either, there is a qr code for instructions with a link to the app but then it doesn't let you download it.

I honestly don't hear much difference between the 3 professional presets. There is noticeably some differences between the flat/bass/clear ones though. Currently using preset 2 just cause but have more testing to do

Edit* @C_Lindbergh , I've changed back to the spiral dots as it only seemed fair and now get some decent differences between the presets. I originally tested on the flat and changed straight away. Should have given them a chance, if I can get a secure fit I'll probably keep using the spirals

I should keep my opinions to myself before I'm more sure but just got all excited

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #48,877 of 62,615
Oooh boy, let’s see…
1. All-rounder would be preferred. I like bass, but not so much it muddies everything else.
2. I have been looking at the Shure Aonic 215, hopefully getting a good bit of Shure performance I had in my 535s years ago.
3. Needs, well, stable for walks and other activities. NC would be nice, especially for travel. Works well with the Apple ecosystem. Functional app with EQ, and controls. I’ve been spoiled with the app, not sure I can leave that now.

Nov 20, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #48,878 of 62,615
Oooh boy, let’s see…
1. All-rounder would be preferred. I like bass, but not so much it muddies everything else.
2. I have been looking at the Shure Aonic 215, hopefully getting a good bit of Shure performance I had in my 535s years ago.
3. Needs, well, stable for walks and other activities. NC would be nice, especially for travel. Works well with the Apple ecosystem. Functional app with EQ, and controls. I’ve been spoiled with the app, not sure I can leave that now.
I haven't bought any of the "just released" models, but here is my opinion (and I'm sure there will be more). I keep my XM4s for those all around travel moments, because they are rock solid in the ANC department. I have B&O EXs for sound when outside because they sound pretty nice and they have some semi functional features like ANC, EQ, hear through, and are waterproof. I say semi functional as they aren't as strong as my APPs or XM4s in the ANC/transparency modes. Pure sound with EQ that has any amount of bass you need would be the Fokus Pros in my lot I have. The passive isolation is good, so don't really need the ANC IMO, but definitely not a phone call headset. They are also very comfortable for me. I am not sure you will gain much with the 215s really, maybe more of a lateral move. Although you can get them with the TW2 bundle at a really good price. It would give you the TW2 adapter for other IEM purchases down the road. So many choices :)

Nov 20, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #48,879 of 62,615
I haven't bought any of the "just released" models, but here is my opinion (and I'm sure there will be more). I keep my XM4s for those all around travel moments, because they are rock solid in the ANC department. I have B&O EXs for sound when outside because they sound pretty nice and they have some semi functional features like ANC, EQ, hear through, and are waterproof. I say semi functional as they aren't as strong as my APPs or XM4s in the ANC/transparency modes. Pure sound with EQ that has any amount of bass you need would be the Fokus Pros in my lot I have. The passive isolation is good, so don't really need the ANC IMO, but definitely not a phone call headset. They are also very comfortable for me. I am not sure you will gain much with the 215s really, maybe more of a lateral move. Although you can get them with the TW2 bundle at a really good price. It would give you the TW2 adapter for other IEM purchases down the road. So many choices :)
A very thoughtful and thorough answer, thank you. It sounds as though there is no “unicorn” “must-have” TWS set right now. More of a pick-and-choose model. I guess that’s what has me stuck, I’m looking for a Swiss Army knife in a butter knife market. I may have to reevaluate my search, to narrow things down.

Much appreciated.

Nov 20, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #48,880 of 62,615
A very thoughtful and thorough answer, thank you. It sounds as though there is no “unicorn” “must-have” TWS set right now. More of a pick-and-choose model. I guess that’s what has me stuck, I’m looking for a Swiss Army knife in a butter knife market. I may have to reevaluate my search, to narrow things down.

Much appreciated.
As many TWS as I have bought in the last couple years, I now ask myself the question... "will this give me 150-300$ better performance over what I have". If I answer that maybe or probably not, I step away from the computer :D The 215 combo is a worthy try for what you describe although it does not have ANC and is tuned a bit different than the 535s, but they are very comfortable and like I said, gives you the adapter if you decide to explore other IEM avenues. @Tommy C has the 215s and I thinks he loves them. Good luck and keep us posted.

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #48,881 of 62,615
If sound quality is the only factor to prioritise, even my KZ EDA balanced+ AZ09 Pro has better sound than all of my full TWSs..and that is still below 50 usd total?

But for my daily usual usage, i would still use full TWS more (currently both the Soundpeats Air 3 and Soundcore Dot 3i the most),of course with slight compromise on SQ

Nov 20, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #48,882 of 62,615

Much appreciated.
As many TWS as I have bought in the last couple years, I now ask myself the question... "will this give me 150-300$ better performance over what I have". If I answer that maybe or probably not, I step away from the computer :D The 215 combo is a worthy try for what you describe although it does not have ANC and is tuned a bit different than the 535s, but they are very comfortable and like I said, gives you the adapter if you decide to explore other IEM avenues. @Tommy C has the 215s and I thinks he loves them. Good luck and keep us posted.
I have the TW2s with the SE 215 and SE846 and they are wonderful. 846 definitely better. That said, I revisited the 215s this weekend and they definitely do okay. I chose the Aonic 3 setting within the app to get more power into them. Helps.

If you're in the Apple ecosystem like me, I have to admit, the AirPods Pro 2 are much better than the first gen. I'm really loving them. Easy to carry, great device switching, ANC is very good. I think they're $199 too on Amazon right now. Not sure if that sale is over. I also dig the Bose QCII. The have nice punch, ANC is stellar and they are so much smaller than the first gen. I'd say the two TWS I have right now that haven't gone through the revolving door are the B&O EX and the Devialet Gemini. Soundstages are great, all the above what Boo said for the EX. ANC is waaaaay better on the Gemini. Based on what you've said, go with the APP2 and/or the Shure TW2 setup. Can't go wrong really. Tons of versatility too. Again though, like I keep saying, we're all chasing a dream here :beerchug:

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #48,883 of 62,615
I indeed have the TW2 with the SE215 Special Edition. Like @erockg said. They do pretty good but with better IEMs they shine. They are very user friendly and everything works as it should. No ANC though but not needed for me as the seal is excellent.

Nov 21, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #48,884 of 62,615
I'm totally out of the loop on TWS stuff, and asking for a little guidance as to the current state of things. I had a bunch of them in for potential review project a few years back, but many of them were awful and thus nothing ever materialized. I stopped paying attention or trying anything new beyond that, but now I'm curious again.

As a point of reference, I've still got the original Sennheiser Momentum which works fine, but battery is getting pretty bad (and was never great to begin with). Also have the Creative Outlier Gold which is somewhat decent, and the RHA TrueConnect 2 which is quite nice in many ways but the sound is blah - I can't believe they skipped AptX considering their price.

What are some good options at different price ranges? Using a Pixel 6 so some form of AptX or LDAC is important. Range doesn't really matter but reliable connectivity is key. Don't care about ANC or phone calls at all really, just music.

Also how about something to convert my existing CIEMs into TWS? I recall some of these just launching back in the day but they were underwhelming at that time. Are there good ones now? All my CIEMs are the classic 2-pin style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back