Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 2, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #48,077 of 62,112
QCII just came in and the ANC sounds like it could be the best I've ever "heard" ! It does even better than my current goto ANC earbuds, the EarFun Free Pro 2. QC15 are left behind too, impressive !
Will try running with them tomorrow.
I bet they're pretty amazing. Any improvement over the originals is high praise indeed since those are one of my favorites in my collection. I've had them for years without a single issue

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #48,078 of 62,112
IMO the TWX9 are top tier. There are many factors within the app which can alter the signature. It just takes patience and experimentation to find your sweet spot. I have shut off EQ, I find I don't need it and it does cut the volume slightly. It is common for me to not use EQ, XM4's are the only bud I use eq on. Just to get it out of the way, this sounds signature checks so many of my boxes. I have not A/B'ed with the B&O EX, which would be the closest competition, in my TWS collection, sound wise to the TWX9.

Packaging and stock items are premium. The ear tip selection is top notch, I have only used the long L tips. All tips are silicon. The Free Byrd's and TWX9 have the best selection I have seen.

The build quality is also premium. The case is big, the led's, especially when in sanitize mode will light the bedroom at night.

As far as ANC, there are many options including optimized, which is what I currently use. For my needs it is better than EX and not as solid as XM4. I am a bad reference for ANC, I don't commute and most of my walking is on quieter streets. I plan on testing this weekend as well as call quality, can't he outside as we have had nasty hurricane weather.

I will complete my thoughts on Audio Rabbit Hole. Suffice it to say the sound quality is in the top tier.

Ah, you have both. How would you compare the TWX9 to the Free Byrds? Thx.

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #48,079 of 62,112
I have both too. I like the Oppo better on the enco x classic preset EQ, the mids sound more natural than the Huawei. I don't find the Oppo to be sibilant. The Oppo is my favorite for SQ now. The Huawei has better anc and transparency though, but I seldom use those features.
Yeah different ears will hear different things but to me the sibilance was just too much for my ears. I'm still going back and forth between the two, I prefer the oppo overall as a package - I'm using wavelet to override the default eq which cleans it up nicely and gets rid of the sibilance I hear. It's just ashame you can't save a custom eq to it like you can with the freebuds. The Enco X2 is definitely the slicker of the two though in my book.

Where I live is quite RF intensive in the city, I found the freebuds pro 2 dropping out a lot, and the Enco X2 less. For some reason my original Enco X don't drop out nearly as much, I guess it's a codec/bitrate thing. Tried the freebuds 2 pro on SBC and was still getting quite a few dropouts... I guess you can't get it all, yet. My audio technicas arriving by Thursday, can't wait.

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #48,080 of 62,112
IMO the TWX9 are top tier. There are many factors within the app which can alter the signature. It just takes patience and experimentation to find your sweet spot. I have shut off EQ, I find I don't need it and it does cut the volume slightly. It is common for me to not use EQ, XM4's are the only bud I use eq on. Just to get it out of the way, this sounds signature checks so many of my boxes. I have not A/B'ed with the B&O EX, which would be the closest competition, in my TWS collection, sound wise to the TWX9.

Packaging and stock items are premium. The ear tip selection is top notch, I have only used the long L tips. All tips are silicon. The Free Byrd's and TWX9 have the best selection I have seen.

The build quality is also premium. The case is big, the led's, especially when in sanitize mode will light the bedroom at night.

As far as ANC, there are many options including optimized, which is what I currently use. For my needs it is better than EX and not as solid as XM4. I am a bad reference for ANC, I don't commute and most of my walking is on quieter streets. I plan on testing this weekend as well as call quality, can't he outside as we have had nasty hurricane weather.

I will complete my thoughts on Audio Rabbit Hole. Suffice it to say the sound quality is in the top tier.
So the twx9 is comparable with the ex in term of sound?

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #48,081 of 62,112
Got a pair of Azla Crystal TWS tips for the B&O EX.

First impressions - they're very 'sticky' compared to the stock tips, so they grip a lot better. So you'd probably be better off getting smaller tips here - I use the stock Ls, but with these I'm going to a M (the Ls I have no chance with). They might make the buds sound ever so slightly warmer...? but in reality it's such a small difference that it's damn near impossible to tell even trying my damnedest. Noise isolation is ever so slightly better than the stock tips, but again I'm splitting hairs here - neither passive isolation nor ANC will ever be the EX's strong suit.

That said I think the B&O EX works well with the stock tips - while they don't go very deep into the ear canal, and they are not grippy/'sticky' by any means, they just work - in my case I don't have any problems with getting a secure and superbly comfy fit.

If anyone knows what tips I could try that are not sticky/grippy I'd be keen to give them a go. Trying to look out for the Azla Max tips here but no luck so far...

Oct 3, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #48,082 of 62,112
Oh, I did love the sound on the CA MT very much, but they are plagued by bugs. Bluetooth issues and more. I'd personally stay away. I had a few different pairs and wound up returning both before and after the major firmware updates. That's just my experience. Others may feel differently. That said, depending on what you're looking for, you can also do better than the Adidas at that price. As you know, soooooo many options out there. What exactly are you looking for?

I do own the CA MT. I like the sound but I’m sick and tired of the bugs. I’ve just about had it with these, safe for the sound. If the phone rings and I take a call, (sometimes) I doesn’t get back to the music... nor can I can play it by hitting the touch pad... I hear the beep, then no music. I have to take my phone out and hit play. Then the right bud has been acting up as in it doesn’t charge in the case or connects and plays music while in the closed case. Siri seldom works. While on calls outside, I keep having to repeat myself because people don’t seem to hear me right (it’s better indoors). Sick of these and other bugs. So, for my mobile option, at this moment, I MUST upgrade.

Like I said, I don’t have any special interest in adidas other than sneakers. Since I’m upgrading my IEM game, and I have a connect at adidas, I might be able to get these REALLY cheap. Hence my questions on comparing the FWD with the ZNE and now the CA MT. Do the adidas have any bugs? Do they work well? Would they stay put bike riding?

If I don’t get the adidas, I will need another option for mobility. And, right now, it’s between the Free Byrds (230€), the MTW3 (249€), the ATH-TWX9 (around 250€, but only available in Japan) or the APP2 (299€). In increasing price order.

The adidas might be an and/or option depending on sound quality, if you get my meaning.

Oct 3, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #48,083 of 62,112
Ah, you have both. How would you compare the TWX9 to the Free Byrds? Thx.
I no longer have the Free Byrd's and I can't do a comparison from memory and be accurate. Sorry!

Oct 3, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #48,084 of 62,112
Oct 3, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #48,085 of 62,112
Yeah different ears will hear different things but to me the sibilance was just too much for my ears. I'm still going back and forth between the two, I prefer the oppo overall as a package - I'm using wavelet to override the default eq which cleans it up nicely and gets rid of the sibilance I hear. It's just ashame you can't save a custom eq to it like you can with the freebuds. The Enco X2 is definitely the slicker of the two though in my book.

Where I live is quite RF intensive in the city, I found the freebuds pro 2 dropping out a lot, and the Enco X2 less. For some reason my original Enco X don't drop out nearly as much, I guess it's a codec/bitrate thing. Tried the freebuds 2 pro on SBC and was still getting quite a few dropouts... I guess you can't get it all, yet. My audio technicas arriving by Thursday, can't wait.
Just curious, what phone are you using with the buds? On the Huawei freebuds pro 2, do you turn off ear detection? I turned mine off in the app, but it always turns the ear detection on by itself after putting it back in its case after some time, even though the app's switch indicated it's off. I have to turn on and off the switch to disable the ear detection every time after charging the buds.

Oct 3, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #48,086 of 62,112
Just curious, what phone are you using with the buds? On the Huawei freebuds pro 2, do you turn off ear detection? I turned mine off in the app, but it always turns the ear detection on by itself after putting it back in its case after some time, even though the app's switch indicated it's off. I have to turn on and off the switch to disable the ear detection every time after charging the buds.
Find x5 pro - had to use Huawei AI life to get ldac working and play around with EQs etc. Smart wear detection? Seems to function properly for me, if I put then back in the case and take them out they don't auto play.

I checked and I was using the dynaudio "simple and clear" preset, the sibilance is mostly gone on the stock tuning...my bad, it's because on the original Enco X the simple and clear tuning was the best to my ears, not the case on the new one - the dynaudio real is the best I agree. Just wish oppo would add custom EQ like the Huawei buds and countless others offer. Easily my number 1 with a custom EQ I can save to the buds. I'll email customer support and complain that all their rivals have it, maybe they can add it in an update.

Oct 3, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #48,088 of 62,112
Hello guys.
I was extremely happy with my Vivo neo TWS, but the charger box got broken for the right one.
I'm not use to repeat brand when something like this happens to me, so I was looking for alternatives, but only open TWS.
As far a I discover, I only see the SoundPEATS Air3. Anyone can compare them against the NEOs?
Any alternative, other than the airpods?

Thanks!!!!!!!

Oct 3, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #48,089 of 62,112
Why did you get rid of the Free Byrds? Any issues or Bugs? Or did you get better ones? Which ones (not at EX price)?
At the time I had all four of these. I knew I was keeping the EX as my sq champ. I was looking for a back-up pair.

I enjoyed the pixel buds pro, but the short nozzle is a no-go for me, so fit issues. The XM4 are the ANC champ out of these. The FreeByrd had the 2nd best sound quality out of the group, but I kept the XM4 for two reasons, 1) For ANC, 2) I paid 119.99 for a like-new refurb.

Since I already had a sq champ, I went with ANC.

20220801_1834412.jpg

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #48,090 of 62,112

Users who are viewing this thread

Back