Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 4, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #33,798 of 62,439
Can't speak on EMI from the S, but the D can be prone to it if it's too close to your phone. I'll hear the odd digital noise in between tracks every now and then, but never during. No idea of converting 4.4 down to 2.5, though. I know it can happen in the reverse order, though.

Volume adjustment can be temperamental, too, but I take advantage of the min/max volume adjustments so I maintain usable volume control. I think that's the real trick to making it work.
Any idea if he plans to build a Bluetooth version with LDAC? I might hold off until then.

I've been really digging the BTR5 the last few days. It's the perfect companion for IEMs on the go IMO. Makes me wonder why I didn't purchase them sooner. Although, I still like my Hip Dac a lot, the BTR5 just seems to be pair better with a wider variety of IEMs. Having such wonderful sound and power in such a tiny device is quite amazing. Only reason I chose the Hip Dac in the beginning was the MQA license and it's sleek design and power output. Still a great, lovely sounding DAC though. 👍

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #33,799 of 62,439
Any idea if he plans to build a Bluetooth version with LDAC? I might hold off until then.

I've been really digging the BTR5 the last few days. It's the perfect companion for IEMs on the go IMO. Makes me wonder why I didn't purchase them sooner. Although, I still like my Hip Dac a lot, the BTR5 just seems to be pair better with a wider variety of IEMs. Having such wonderful sound and power in such a tiny device is quite amazing. Only reason I chose the Hip Dac in the beginning was the MQA license and it's sleek design and power output. Still a great, lovely sounding DAC though. 👍
I don't think he's even considered using BT for audio transport yet. The PowerDAC utilizes BT for making adjustments, but that's it. Rock-solid stable as a result, though.

And if you've already gotten something that you dig, I say stick with it. Just know of a lot of people who need something like the Schiit Fulla and now have something they can get for a fraction of the price. That's pretty neat.

Do I think the amplification tech from the PowerDAC will find its way into something wearable, though? Probably not. Maybe the 9038 could be condensed in form factor a bit, but the PowerDAC generates an almost tube-level amount of heat. It also generates absolute gobs of power. I'll have to break out the 6XX in a bit to see just how much headroom they give me, but I can't bring the volume much higher than -30dB when using the P1 and about -50dB with the 3001 Pro. If you're ever looking for something to use at a desk, I think it'd do wonders for the EST112.

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #33,800 of 62,439
Same here. Been quite happy with my Sennheiser MTW2 as I consider them a complete package with ANC, touch controls, supreme SQ and there isn't much out there in TWS space that challenges the MTW2 spec for spec except the Sonys. Also Sennheiser sold their consumer business so don't have high confidence on MTW3 whenever those get released.

I'm in the same boat, have the MTW2. Everything about them is great except the ANC is pretty mediocre. I did try several other big hitters in the space but they all had a fatal flaw so returned them all. Also the MTW2 battery life at full volume is so-so. But still ok though. I'm hoping the new Sony's will be a nice pair to pair with the MTW2 and that will be my loadout for another year.

Did the previous Sony TWS buds support AptX?

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #33,801 of 62,439
I'm in the same boat, have the MTW2. Everything about them is great except the ANC is pretty mediocre. I did try several other big hitters in the space but they all had a fatal flaw so returned them all. Also the MTW2 battery life at full volume is so-so. But still ok though. I'm hoping the new Sony's will be a nice pair to pair with the MTW2 and that will be my loadout for another year.

Did the previous Sony TWS buds support AptX?
It does not look like Sony's previous TWS buds supported AptX. However, their headphones and neckbands do though...

Edit: I'm looking through the list and while the XM3 (over ear) is shown the XM4 is absent from the list.
Edit 2: If you look on the product pages for the WF-1000XM3 (TWS), AptX is absent from the specs.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #33,802 of 62,439
I’m utterly sick of preorders. I hope they are ready to roll and I hope they try for a more balanced audiophile sound over what has become a warmish Sony house sound.
Nobody outside of Sony and its retail partners will know about actual availability (dates and quantities), but that will become apparent in a few days... As to sound, well, it makes sense if you are concerned to wait for reviews and comparisons to other IEMs. I certainly am interested in the XM4, but they will be at a price point beyond “discretionary” for me so I will wait to hear what others have to say before taking the plunge...!

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #33,803 of 62,439
Mentioned them yesterday and a Gamesky video today :)

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #33,804 of 62,439
Mentioned them yesterday and a Gamesky video today :)

Maybe he's lurking hahaha

That or you're ahead of the curve when it comes to the Chi-Fi TWS hype train :)

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #33,805 of 62,439
Maybe he's lurking hahaha

That or you're ahead of the curve when it comes to the Chi-Fi TWS hype train :)
Chi-Fi means of course no ambient once again. Too many presses for volume 3 up and 3 down. They seem to sound good. The right tips and some Cowon EQ would be interesting to see how good they can get. Always like the shape since they have the rear bump that let's you press on them w/o making them sink in to the ear more. Might keep an eye for a good sale. Also think if he says they leak and are bright I'm thinking a better seal is there for the taking :) Sure they could use other tips to get the best out of them. They probably come with the too soft kind like a KZ.

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #33,806 of 62,439
PM me with some audition material and how you think it should sound. I don't mind being brutally honest.

Sure do, bud, but I ditched Tidal so only the Qobuz and Spotify ones are left. PM me and I'll hook it up. Probably spam enough links in this thread to have a target on my back.

When CanJam starts back up, I might need a bodyguard...
Ha cool I just PMd you. I’m planning on going to canjam as soon as I can make it happen. I was going to go to the one in Chicago to get impressions made for some Elysiums but I cancelled the trip bc of COVID

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #33,807 of 62,439
The music I refer to in this post was local files, but I do have some playlists in Amazon music HD I could share, don't have any in Spotify but could create one if you don't have Amazon music HD.
Ah nice I have quite a few local files too. DSDs sound incredible.

right now I’m rolling with Tidal and Qobuz. How does Amazon compare?

I came across an app or some kind of product a while back that synchronizes playlists and songs between services but I can’t remember where I saw it. I’m kind wasting storage on my DAP SD card because I have some of the same tracks stored offline.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #33,809 of 62,439
Having trouble deciphering Apples “lossless” announcement today. It’s not clear whether and how this will be done wirelessly? Seems to be a lot of confusion. They say a DAC is required for true lossless which makes me think this is a wired solution? I don’t see anything about improving or replacing AAC for streaming but the information is scant.
I heard once that AirPlay is lossless, but that uses WiFi. I thought for sure that they’d have AirPods headphones that used that instead of Bluetooth which would be pretty wicked

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #33,810 of 62,439
I heard once that AirPlay is lossless, but that uses WiFi. I thought for sure that they’d have AirPods headphones that used that instead of Bluetooth which would be pretty wicked
Airplay is 16bit / 44.1kHz aka CD-quality. I assume wifi chips much more power hungry in comparison and TWS as a device is still heavily limited by sheer physics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back