Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 4, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #32,776 of 62,437
There is so much variability when it comes to BT signal dropouts. Sometimes it's the silicon, sometimes it's the casing, sometimes it's the broadcast channel (especially in crowded signal spaces) and sometimes it's just PFM.

Never seems to affect some people. I can reproduce it fairly well across just about every BT device I own, so maybe I'm just a walking Faraday cage sometimes. Only fix I've managed to find is changing which pocket the phone goes into.

Right pocket, left bud (or vice versa) seems like the easiest way to make this happen. It's an extreme case.
A lot of variability, true. The PI7s hiccup when I open my laptop even though I've never connected them to it. The EAH-AZ70Ws don't like my microwave oven.

I'm attempting to return them because wireless charging isn't working - I might just live with the PI7s other peccadilloes.

May 4, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #32,777 of 62,437
Interesting...i always keep my phone in my back pocket but havent noticed this with most of my stuff. I did get dropouts consistently where there is lots of interference (Times Square for example) or right by my train station (always a drop out there for some reason) but never had the back pocket or cutout when turning head issue that others talk about. Hoping the PI7 is no different but doesnt sound promising.
I bet you're fine with the PI7s in the city with buildings for BT to bounce off of. And who know, maybe a fw update fixes the issues some of us are having. I just didn't want to wait after spending $400+ on them, so I returned them and ordered the PI5. Saved a few bucks too. Man, I miss NYC. LFGM!

May 4, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #32,778 of 62,437
A lot of variability, true. The PI7s hiccup when I open my laptop even though I've never connected them to it. The EAH-AZ70Ws don't like my microwave oven.

I'm attempting to return them because wireless charging isn't working - I might just live with the PI7s other peccadilloes.
Even my desktop mouse/keyboard combo (Logitech MX, not the cheap stuff) can't handle BT very well when I'm using my TWS at the same time. I end up having to rely on the proprietary connection half the time or go without using my TWS if I need to type.

Signal interference out the wazoo. It's not just a TWS problem.

May 4, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #32,779 of 62,437
I might be returning mine, 2nd full charge lasted 3 hours 17 minutes this morning. Using with iPhone 12 Pro Max, I got 3 disconnects during that time while walking with my phone in my pocket. No issue with the Noble, Grado or Sennheiser walking in the same area. With my Nobles or Grado’s I even sometimes leave my phone on the deck table when working in the yard and no issue. Let alone leaving the phone in my pocket and 3 issues. Easily reconnects but not sure why it disconnects in the first place. Will try again after it’s recharged to see how long it lasts, but 3 hours 29 minutes and 3 hours 17 minutes are my first two full charges. Just tried a hard reset and uninstall/reinstall on my phone, maybe that will help?
To be honest this is fine given the case has fast charge, 15 min of charging for 2 hrs listening on the buds right? Im fine with short battery life if the case has that feature. Easy compromise for SQ too

May 4, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #32,783 of 62,437
I just bought it and I’ll try it out. I can always return it since it’s Amazon prime. How is he making money if he’s selling at the regular price? Maybe at a discount?
I dont think they pay B&W MSRP but if you wanted to help support the little guy you could order directly from them with free shipping. Of course, with the issues we have been hearing about I can see why you want to take advantage of Prime shipping. Amazon does make it easy to return.

May 4, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #32,784 of 62,437
I dont think they pay B&W MSRP but if you wanted to help support the little guy you could order directly from them with free shipping. Of course, with the issues we have been hearing about I can see why you want to take advantage of Prime shipping. Amazon does make it easy to return.
It's a lot faster too.. Mine was already shipped, arriving Friday :ksc75smile:
saw this on Amazon page...

Question:

Can you use just one of these independently without the other, effectively doubling the battery life for phone call use on a given day?

Answer:

Hi, many thanks for your enquiry. Yes, you can operate these in this way, if you wish. For further advice , please see our website FAQ for this product, or call 1 800 370 3740. Many thanks, Bowers & Wilkins.
By Bowers & Wilkins Manufacturer on May 4, 2021

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #32,785 of 62,437
Well this is interesting and I wasn't aware I could even do this on my 8T until now...

Previously, when I had to change codecs, I had to drill all the way down to Developer Options to change it. Tried something different this time:

Step 1: Navigate to your Bluetooth devices list in Settings. You can long-press on the BT icon in the notification tray as a shortcut. From there, tap on the gear icon next to the device you want to modify
Screenshot_20210504-142345.jpg

Step 2: Tap on the codec displayed on the info page. I've highlighted it so it hopefully sticks out like a sore thumb:
Screenshot_20210504-142351__01.jpg

Step 3: I received the following pop-up and selected aptX instead of Adaptive:
Screenshot_20210504-142051.jpg
Et voila! Quick codec changes on OnePlus phones. I have an inkling there will be something similar for all Android users, but you're totally at the mercy of what the OEM chose to do with your particular device.
Yeah, I felt pretty on my own with the WWS rep I had to deal with. Really hoping it's an isolated incident, but someone who was as short with me as this representative was would have been fired on the spot had they been working for me. This might be one of those cases where you want a little Amazon assurance.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #32,786 of 62,437
saw this
Well this is interesting and I wasn't aware I could even do this on my 8T until now...

Previously, when I had to change codecs, I had to drill all the way down to Developer Options to change it. Tried something different this time:

Step 1: Navigate to your Bluetooth devices list in Settings. You can long-press on the BT icon in the notification tray as a shortcut. From there, tap on the gear icon next to the device you want to modify

Step 2: Tap on the codec displayed on the info page. I've highlighted it so it hopefully sticks out like a sore thumb:

Step 3: I received the following pop-up and selected aptX instead of Adaptive:

Et voila! Quick codec changes on OnePlus phones. I have an inkling there will be something similar for all Android users, but you're totally at the mercy of what the OEM chose to do with your particular device.

Yeah, I felt pretty on my own with the WWS rep I had to deal with. Really hoping it's an isolated incident, but someone who was as short with me as this representative was would have been fired on the spot had they been working for me. This might be one of those cases where you want a little Amazon assurance.
You didn't order through Amazon? Did you order directly from the World Wide Audio place? That seems to be the same seller as the one on Amazon. Maybe they didn't get production units and are only selling early units?

May 4, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #32,787 of 62,437
saw this

You didn't order through Amazon? Did you order directly from the World Wide Audio place? That seems to be the same seller as the one on Amazon. Maybe they didn't get production units and are only selling early units?
Worldwide Stereo sells through Amazon with Amazon Prime. You still get the Prime benefits, but the return goes to WWS. Amazon isn't selling the B&Ws yet, i.e. shipped and sold by Amazon yet.

May 4, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #32,788 of 62,437
Worldwide Stereo sells through Amazon with Amazon Prime. You still get the Prime benefits, but the return goes to WWS. Amazon isn't selling the B&Ws yet, i.e. shipped and sold by Amazon yet.
Oh yes, I thought he ordered through Amazon like me because he said he was having trouble with a WWS representative. Sorry for the confusion. Supposedly you can return to Amazon without question.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #32,789 of 62,437
Oh yes, I thought he ordered through Amazon like me because he said he was having trouble with a WWS representative. Sorry for the confusion. Supposedly you can return to Amazon without question.
Yes, you'll have no issues. I've bought stuff from WWS without any issues before. But that's just me.

May 4, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #32,790 of 62,437
saw this

I ordered directly through their website. A couple of the loudspeaker guys I pay attention to have recommended WWS in the past. Figured I'd give them a shot to see if repeat business was warranted. Still on the fence, to be honest.

I guess we'll see how this RMA is handled first. It's estimated to arrive there Saturday, so I'm not even expecting an update until Monday afternoon PST at the earliest. Will definitely keep everybody posted, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back