Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 19, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #27,301 of 62,400
I liked the sound of the originals. But RHA marketed them as a lifestyle product rather than an audiophile product. Hopefully they shift directions as they do make nice wired headphones.
And now we can see what the fuss is about according to the web site:

https://www.rha-audio.com/headphones/wireless/truecontrol-anc
  • Hear what you want to hear with unprecedented ANC & adjustable ambient modes.
  • Finest Bluetooth® sound quality, optimised by QualComm® cVc™, aptX™, & AAC.
  • 5 hours of audio per charge, 20 hours total with wireless charging case.
  • Tune the EQ to your preference with the RHA Connect app for Apple & Android.
  • Sweatproof and water resistant to IPX4 for active use.
£250 with a current preorder £50 off code. Shipping 4th Dec.
  • Swipe capacitive controls (Why didn't Bose do this), with volume control but sadly no mute
  • Comply ear tips in the box
  • ANC off as well as the normal On/Transparency
  • EQ looks to be only presets right now
  • App which also allows you to change the amount of Transparency, Find your buds and firmware update
  • RHA say "Internal testing against competitor products showed TrueControl ANC to have superior attenuation on average across audible frequencies."
  • 3 year international warranty... something I haven't seen elsewhere
RHA .png

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #27,302 of 62,400
And now we can see what the fuss is about according to the web site:

https://www.rha-audio.com/headphones/wireless/truecontrol-anc
  • Hear what you want to hear with unprecedented ANC & adjustable ambient modes.
  • Finest Bluetooth® sound quality, optimised by QualComm® cVc™, aptX™, & AAC.
  • 5 hours of audio per charge, 20 hours total with wireless charging case.
  • Tune the EQ to your preference with the RHA Connect app for Apple & Android.
  • Sweatproof and water resistant to IPX4 for active use.
£250 with a current preorder £50 off code. Shipping 4th Dec.
  • Swipe capacitive controls (Why didn't Bose do this), with volume control but sadly no mute
  • Comply ear tips in the box
  • ANC off as well as the normal On/Transparency
  • EQ looks to be only presets right now
  • App which also allows you to change the amount of Transparency, Find your buds and firmware update
  • RHA say "Internal testing against competitor products showed TrueControl ANC to have superior attenuation on average across audible frequencies."
  • 3 year international warranty... something I haven't seen elsewhere
RHA .png
Thanks. Looks like the US version isn't up yet. Looks like a nice improvement but they are late to the party and aren't bringing anything new to the table. The B&O looks more interesting to me. Again very little focus on sq in the marketing materials.

Nov 19, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #27,303 of 62,400
A little disappointing the RHA I think. BT 5.0 and only aptX. IPX4 a little low. Battery life average. I know some will hate both you have to tap and hold for ambient and it auto pauses(though I like auto pause but not the hold). Too little focus on the sound quality which makes one apprehensive. $300 list price is just inflated for the discount and after it pays for the 3 year warranty really. Not that I care about 3 year warranty on TWS that most of us are gonna update to new tech and won't be using these for half that span.

Needs to be proven for stability. The ergo shape is nice but more flush for ANC performance and reception issues gives a little pause with no real antenna or mic explanation from them.

Could get the JBL for $199 instead and even be better off? Not sure till these prove themselves.
1605792692770.png

Gotta worry about the battery master/slave drain I guess with no mention of swapping.

Like @clerkpalmer said about not bringing anything new. Think looks like a Covid delayed thing that in April would look better than it does in December 2020.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #27,304 of 62,400
1605792692770.png
Gotta worry about the battery master/slave drain I guess with no mention of swapping.

Like @clerkpalmer said about not bringing anything new. Think looks like a Covid delayed thing that in April would look better than it does in December 2020.

That also very likely depends on the device they are used with. If you use a recent Qualcomm powered smartphone that supports all latest technologies, they probably support TrueWireless Stereo Plus which allows for symmetric connection to the device, avoiding the master-slave type of connection.

Nov 19, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #27,305 of 62,400
Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #27,306 of 62,400
JVC does have at times a better street price right off or it certainly will drop pretty soon. I'd like $125 myself but don't blame them. They are competing with Jabra which is $180 and AT had their Sport model at $199 for the sport model. The Sony XB700 is $139 with no ambient, not the fit kit with fins and both types of tips, no aptX, 27 vs. 18 hour total battery life, no bass settings and doesn't even work with the Sony app to do stuff. At what I would expect them to list price it.

I'm sure that it what the ambient tips are for. These are for "serious" runners so I'm sure they decided to have ambient to talk through and ambient tips to help with footfall noise/bone conduction. They look good for other tips as well...
1591627776537.png
Looks like the new tips are based on the normal and previous ones so long core but the outside is shorter so less tips fitting into case shenanigans. You can most likely even step up the isolation further from the stock tips.

These are on Drop right now for $150 -- are these the ones you have, and if so, can you do us a big favor and tell us what you think about them? :D

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #27,309 of 62,400
I know FIIL get a lot of love here already, but for those looking to order through Amazon US, big reductions tomorrow:

My review for the T1XS here : (5 stars)

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fi...-wireless-tws-bluetooth-in-ear-earbuds.24631/

Scarbir (5 stars)

https://www.scarbir.com/tws/fiil-t1xs-review

T1X

Get 30% OFF FIIL T1X Earbuds - $34.99, was $49.99
Valid time: Nov 17, 2020 - Nov 22, 2020
Product link: https://t.co/Kf8wjz1nAS

Get 15% OFF FIIL T1X Earbuds - $42.22, was $49.99
Valid time: Nov 27, 2020 6:00 AM PST - Nov 27, 2020 12:00 PM PST
Product link: https://t.co/5M3Q3sSjXf

T1XS

Get 20% OFF FIIL T1XS White Earbuds - $47.99, was $59.99
Valid time: Nov 26, 2020 12:00 AM PST - Nov 27, 2020 11:59 PM PST
Product link: https://t.co/zpgtB3Kbbo

Get 20% OFF FIIL T1XS Black Earbuds - $47.99, was $59.99
Valid time: Nov 26, 2020 12:00 AM PST - Nov 27, 2020 11:59 PM PST
Product link: https://t.co/hlc0Dg8oSa

Get 16% OFF FIIL T1XS Black Earbuds - $49.99, was $59.99
Valid time: Nov 18, 2020 - Nov 22, 2020
Product link: https://t.co/fwDOPpfNDO

Nov 19, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #27,310 of 62,400
These are on Drop right now for $150 -- are these the ones you have, and if so, can you do us a big favor and tell us what you think about them? :D
You can search earlier in the threads for comments and pics and stuff.

The Drop price is one cent more than the full price and, what, you have to wait a month for them?. I paid $129 for them 5 months ago. They are very reliable, have close to $99 wired SQ, do they job for runners keeping wind and footfall noise at bay very very well. Comfy, easy to fit. Ambient tips and ambient mode. Never let me down. Ambient mode is a bit digital sounding and they don't have the best mics is their downside. Overall signature is for sports but tastefully done. Just enough treble and a small bass boost/focus. Quite balanced with external noise cancelling out a bit of bass. Bass boost dunction is tastefully done so enough to use the ambient tips and restore some of the bass that escapes but not too much where it is boomy or or bad in normal use. maybe like a 5dB boost. Reliable for me no one side has trouble connecting or any other strange behavior or reset ever needed. They have just always worked as they should with good sound, fit, connection and range. For a runner/sports they are worth more and do all their goals well but straight up SQ model they are fine but not great for $150. They sound pretty damn good and take a beating and no worries about weather and are great for sports.

Nov 19, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #27,311 of 62,400
You can search earlier in the threads for comments and pics and stuff.

The Drop price is one cent more than the full price and, what, you have to wait a month for them?. I paid $129 for them 5 months ago. They are very reliable, have close to $99 wired SQ, do they job for runners keeping wind and footfall noise at bay very very well. Comfy, easy to fit. Ambient tips and ambient mode. Never let me down. Ambient mode is a bit digital sounding and they don't have the best mics is their downside. Overall signature is for sports but tastefully done. Just enough treble and a small bass boost/focus. Quite balanced with external noise cancelling out a bit of bass. Bass boost dunction is tastefully done so enough to use the ambient tips and restore some of the bass that escapes but not too much where it is boomy or or bad in normal use. maybe like a 5dB boost. Reliable for me no one side has trouble connecting or any other strange behavior or reset ever needed. They have just always worked as they should with good sound, fit, connection and range. For a runner/sports they are worth more and do all their goals well but straight up SQ model they are fine but not great for $150. They sound pretty damn good and take a beating and no worries about weather and are great for sports.

thanks! Rest assured, I did search the threads and found next to nothing, perhaps the posts you are referring to were not tagged with the model number? I found a post with stock pictures and someone (perhaps you) talking about having just ordered them. :)

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #27,312 of 62,400
thanks! Rest assured, I did search the threads and found next to nothing, perhaps the posts you are referring to were not tagged with the model number? I found a post with stock pictures and someone (perhaps you) talking about having just ordered them. :)

Yeah tough to find stuff esp. if I didn't want to type out HA-AE5T which I probably didn't :) but the quick sum up a couple posts back sums them up. For sports they are worth it but the sound is solid but not the best for $150. Better back in June than now for where they would rank in sound I guess and better for sports as they have ability with some thickness so comparing them out doing sports and a quiet comparison. They sound better in their element. I have been happy with them but again they cost me $129 and months ago. They are still one of the best sports models but rank lower in SQ by now. Thing is also I use them mostly with a Chenfec C56 player clipped on a fence or in a pocket so no aptX with that or TWS+ so 75% of the time I don't get the best sound out of them but it is about sports and being able to run around with just the earphones and no device no keys or anything in the pockets. Tips are nice and good to have in the collection. You can DL the manual on the JVC site. Takes a little getting used to Play/Pause is the left side single touch and right side single touch is talk-through. Always thought that was a good choice since I am holding a racquet in my right hand or dribbling a ball mainly on the right but it is still a hard habit to break wanting to play pause on the left instead of right. :)

I just the new JVC Victor label TWS which is supposed to be about the SQ but it also small and barely over 4 grams. I paid $143.50 for them at the release price. Simple and has a few simple jobs. Comfort, connection, and SQ.

Speaking of sports, Nuarl is coming with a sports model, the N6 Sport. Very much Nuarls answer to the JVC Aero model we have been talking about.
1605878768599.png

N6 driver V3, 3040 chip BT5.2 with TW mirroring, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX adaptive, IPX7, gaming mode for low latency. "External sound capture mode". 10hours(7 for aptX)/60 total. Comes with ambient and regular eartips. "The sound is tuned exclusively for the beat and inclusion of the music, and the" immersive sound "that can enter the world of content is reproduced." Price converts to $105.
1605878877366.png

So, there ya go. about six months and you get the better models coming. Of course in the US the JVC really just came out(though old to me:)) and this Nualr won't show till next year probably and the ~6 month difference will hold. Just that the US is behind.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #27,314 of 62,400
Nov 20, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #27,315 of 62,400

Users who are viewing this thread

Back